Passports??

I just wanted to be sure I read on the RCI website correct....

We will NOT need passports if leaving out of New Orleans and going to the following ports: Key West, Fl.; Cococay, Bahamas; and Nassau, Bahamas, right?

I don't want us to get to the port in NOLA and they say we have to have them. 3 out of 4 of us have passports but was trying to not have to spend the money to get one for our son if he doesn't need it.

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks in advanced!

Guest maddycat

We will NOT need passports if leaving out of New Orleans and going to the following ports: Key West, Fl.; Cococay, Bahamas; and Nassau, Bahamas, right?

I don't want us to get to the port in NOLA and they say we have to have them. 3 out of 4 of us have passports but was trying to not have to spend the money to get one for our son if he doesn't need it.

Thanks in advanced!

As long as you leave from New Orleans and return to New Orleans you will not need a passport for your son.

On a closed loop cruise, a CERTIFIED copy of the birth certificate plus ID (there are age criteria on the photo ID) is acceptable. I personally would probably get a passport, and you will get feedback on that, but it is NOT required...

The feedback is the "what if" you need to fly home from an overseas port for some reason.

Thanks in advanced!

Correct this is a closed loop cruise (leaving from a US port and returning to one)...You will need his "certified" birth certificate and if he's under 16 no other ID will be needed.

Just make sure the birth certificate is certified.

We got passports, but when I went to get them, they wouldn't accept my kids' original birth certificates. (Or mine.) Even though they seemed to fit the criteria for certified. We had to get new ones before getting our passports. Judging by our new ones, they are now standardized and not different by state.

The birth certificate should have a raised seal and be registered in the county office of records. Just remember you will not be able to fly back if there is an emergency family or medical without a passport.

It makes it easier to have it and the places you go to will breeze you through with a US passport. Even on domestic flights it seems to go easier than just showing a drivers license. If you have time before your trip, go to a local passport office and get it done. I know you need a passport to enter Canada from the Us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It makes it easier to have it and the places you go to will breeze you through with a US passport. Even on domestic flights it seems to go easier than just showing a drivers license. If you have time before your trip, go to a local passport office and get it done. I know you need a passport to enter Canada from the Us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP's itinerary doesn't include Canada...or at least unless they are waaay off course :eek::)

The birth certificate should have a raised seal and be registered in the county office of records. Just remember you will not be able to fly back if there is an emergency family or medical without a passport.

Hmmm..not all certified copies have a "raised seal"...at least none of my large extended family's certified BC's do.

You will be able to fly back (from a foreign port)...just not as quickly and as easily without a passport. ;):)

The birth certificate should have a raised seal ....

Not if your state/county doesn't do raised seal. WA state does flat, swirly seals. Still certified.

cebl, bcs have to have spots for information on both parents now. Not all states required that, even relatively recently. That's been the big problem that's causing people to have to get new certified copies.

Ashland...if needing to fly home with an emergency, I bet the people boarding without passports would be flying home with brand new, very expensive, quickly-made passports.

Nowhere in T&C,s does it state a BC must have a raised seal:confused:

An "official copy" of a BC is also good enough as per T&C,s.

Personally I would never travel overseas without a passport but then again I am wise enough to know this too:)

Just make sure the birth certificate is certified.

We got passports, but when I went to get them, they wouldn't accept my kids' original birth certificates. (Or mine.) Even though they seemed to fit the criteria for certified. We had to get new ones before getting our passports. Judging by our new ones, they are now standardized and not different by state.

You sure it was original? I've never come across anyone who had an original birth certificate. The originals are what was kept on file by the government.

... I know you need a passport to enter Canada from the Us.
Not technically correct. A passport [and no unrehabilited convictions (including misdemeanors or DUIs) - Canada does check] does pretty much guarantee a US citizen's entry to Canada [but any country can refuse entry for any or no reason].

HOWEVER if you are a U.S. citizen, Canada requires only proof of citizenship along with photo identification. See Canada Border Services Agency at http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#_s2a An Enhanced Driver's License is fully accepted by both Canada and the US for travel to and from Canada. CBSA does recommend a passport, and notes that a "passport may be required by your airline or alternative transportation authority, as it is the only universally-accepted identification document."

Thom

Are we going to go through this again?

BC does not have to have a raised seal

Are we going to go through this again?

BC does not have to have a raised seal

When we went to get a passport for my wife they would not accept my wife's California BC because it did not have the raised seal. There are some states BC that are no longer good enough to use for passports unless they have some form of official registry information on them. That may be a raised seal or other official marking and registry number.

When we went to get a passport for my wife they would not accept my wife's California BC because it did not have the raised seal. There are some states BC that are no longer good enough to use for passports unless they have some form of official registry information on them. That may be a raised seal or other official marking and registry number.

Were taking about getting on a ship, not getting a passport.

Would like to know why the BC was refused if it was the correct original. Has to be more reason than not having raised seal which has never been a requirement

My entire immediate family has certified Calif BC's ranging in issue dates from the early 1940's-2013 (and now waiting on a 2014) and none of them have a raised seal...and doubt the one being issued this month for our grandson will either.

Sorry your wife had problems with hers...was it possibly one issued from the hospital, and not in fact a certified copy ? Many of these can look very legitimate.

Hopefully it all worked out and she was able to get her passport.

I have my BC from when I was first born (1950) and it's obviously a B&W print off a micro-film. It does have a raised seal and a certifying signature in purple. It even says it's not valid unless signed in purple. I also have a newer one that follows the new California standard for County Recorders, which is a full 8 x 11 on multi-collared paper (mostly pink and blue). It does not have a raised seal, but it does have an engraved border and says it's not an original unless the border is engraved. I know this is the standard BC for CA counties. Not sure if this is for all states.

We have traveled with grandkids from 18 months and even though we don't need a passport we got one for him. Our travel agent made it real clear that cruising is not an issue, but if you have to fly home from a foreign port it will be.

Beside, we are getting ready to cruise with the 18 month old who will be seven and needs a new one and the photo alone on the original issue is priceless.

You think BC are a problem? Try being born overseas to US citizen parents while stationed abroad ie: military base. The State Department now issues certificates, but in the old days the base commander issued some type of form with no numbers and no way to verify.