Tux-less Dining Options

shack

We are on a 7-day Alaska cruise in Sept, traveling light without formal wear. Wondering what the dining options are without formal wear on formal nights. Looks like Lido is good for that but what about Pinnacle and Canaletto? The website says both of those dining rooms are casual. TIA

Only 10% at most wear tuxedos. Wear your sport jacket on the plane and stuff a tie in the pocket. You will be set for formal night along with 90% of your fellow cruisers.

I wear my Merrell waterproof hiking shoes to formal night with my jacket and tie.

Use the $7/day laundry to pack even lighter.

Pinnacle and Tamarind Restauranats require same dress as MDR. Canaletto is a section of Lido and is less formal.

On formal nights, men are to wear jacket and tie. No tuxedo required nor is even a suit but a blazer or sport jacket is. However, you will definitely see some men 'slip' in and manage to be seated but do not count on that. If he does not have a jacket and tie, be aware you might not be seated.

So if your DH doesn't want to even take a jacket, the dining venues on formal night are the Lido, Canaletto ($10 per person) and room service.

For room service there is a regular menu that you can order from OR you can order from the main dining room menu which is posted right outside the dining room and in all bars and lounges.

you and your dh will be fine; i haven't taken a coat and tie on a hal cruise in over ten years. i make reservations for canaletto for formal nights -- no formal wear suggested there -- and make pinnacle reservations for non-formal nights -- again, no dress-up. it can work. i don't do the mdr.

So if your DH doesn't want to even take a jacket, the dining venues on formal night are the Lido, Canaletto ($10 per person) and room service.

For room service there is a regular menu that you can order from OR you can order from the main dining room menu which is posted right outside the dining room and in all bars and lounges.

Thanks KK for actually answering the OP's question. We have previously used room service for breakfast (a must, it is one of the best experiences that HAL offers, IMO) and have ordered off the room service menu, but have never ordered from the MDR for room service. We will be trying this for our upcoming cruise on the Volendam and are really looking forward to it.

For first time HAL upcoming cruisers - this series is a bit confusing with so any different responses - tux yes/tux no, jacket/ jacket no, tie yes/ tie no.

I realize that there are always differences in how certain 'policies' are responded to. We are taking a Mediterranean cruise this fall, and collared shirts/slacks are the norm when we travel, but we are curious as to what to expect on the current HAL cruises. Thank you very. Much

For first time HAL upcoming cruisers - this series is a bit confusing with so any different responses - tux yes/tux no, jacket/ jacket no, tie yes/ tie no.

I realize that there are always differences in how certain 'policies' are responded to. We are taking a Mediterranean cruise this fall, and collared shirts/slacks are the norm when we travel, but we are curious as to what to expect on the current HAL cruises. Thank you very. Much

It really isn't confusing.

HAL says that if you want to be certain to be seated in MDR, Pinnacle and Tamarind, gentlemen should come dressed in trousers, shirt, tie and jacket on formal nights at the least. If you wish to tick it up a notch, a dark suit or tuxedo is welcome. :)

On smart casual nights, no shorts permitted and dockers/khakis with shirt or polo jersey or such is just fine.

The inconsistency comes with how the stated policy is enforced and you cannot know that in advance of your arrival at the MDR door not dressed to the minimum HAL requests for formal night/dress code for the evening.

Edited by sail7seas

Welcome to HAL!

For men on formal nights, gentlemen are expected to wear a jacket and tie at a minimum. Suits and tuxes are also worn, but fewer men wear tuxes. If you don't want to dress up, you can dine in the Lido buffet, or the Canaletto Italian restaurant (surcharge) in the Lido area, or you can order room service.

Thank you for your responses. We talked about ordering the tux online so that it would be there, but if most men don't go the tux route anymore, and jacket/tie is now the norm, then we would go that route.

When we first started to cruise in the 80's, DH wore a tuxedo and sometimes a white dinner jacket with tux pants.

He has gone through several tuxedos. But this last summer he decided -- no more tuxedos as we were seeing fewer and fewer of them. Especially on our 20 day cruise where we used to see many men wearing tuxedos.

So the tuxedo is more in the back of the closet and he wears either a suit or a jacket and tie.

Alternatively, you can rent formal wear for the cruise. That way you don't have to pack any of it, but you can still dress for formal evenings.

Alaska cruises are, in my experience, very informal. On the Zuiderdam last May, I think I could count the men in black tie (apart from officers, of course) at late seating on the fingers of two hands.

When we first started to cruise in the 80's, DH wore a tuxedo and sometimes a white dinner jacket with tux pants.

He has gone through several tuxedos. But this last summer he decided -- no more tuxedos as we were seeing fewer and fewer of them. Especially on our 20 day cruise where we used to see many men wearing tuxedos.

So the tuxedo is more in the back of the closet and he wears either a suit or a jacket and tie.

The same for us.

DH always wore tuxedo and/or white dinner jacket on formal nights and did so for many years. As we started to see fewer and fewer tuxedos, we stopped bringing DH's and he now wears suit or jacket and tie. It's okay with us. We had all those many years of lovely dressing and admiring how beautiful everyone looked but those days are now gone. Makes our life easier.... :D But I'm happy we had those years of glamour and tradition. Formal nights were special. The stewards wore tails and the dining room had a very lovely ambience with everyone looking their finest and using their best manners. :)

If a lady wanted a hair appointment for formal nights, she would rush to the salon the moment she boarded to make her bookings. Now the salon is no more busy on formal night than any other.

Edited by sail7seas

Maybe we're in the minority, but we happen to enjoy formal nights. After all, once you've invested in a tuxedo, gowns, vests & cummerbunds, and patent leather formal shoes, there are precious few opportunities to wear them outside of cruises and the occasional gala.

That said, I completely respect those who don't want to pack all that extra clothing. The airline baggage fees can really add up.

We've always been ones to dress for the venue. If I didn't have the proper clothes for the evening's dress code, I would eat in the Lido or order from room service. A few years ago, the ship's dry cleaners temporarily lost my tuxedo pants. They found them, but not until dinner was half over. I sent my wife on ahead with our table mates, and waited in the cabin until my pants showed up.

If we really wanted a casual cruise, I'd probably pick another line. There are so many choices out there today that you're bound to find one that meets your needs.

Just one man's opinion. :thumbup:

Edited by POA1

The same for us.

DH always wore tuxedo and/or white dinner jacket on formal nights and did so for many years. As we started to see fewer and fewer tuxedos, we stopped bringing DH's and he now wears suit or jacket and tie. It's okay with us. We had all those many years of lovely dressing and admiring how beautiful everyone looked but those days are now gone. Makes our life easier.... :D But I'm happy we had those years of glamour and tradition. Formal nights were special. The stewards wore tails and the dining room had a very lovely ambience with everyone looking their finest and using their best manners. :)

If a lady wanted a hair appointment for formal nights, she would rush to the salon the moment she boarded to make her bookings. Now the salon is no more busy on formal night than any other.

It was wonderful having all those years of glamor -- but sadly they are gone.

We had many occasions to wear tuxedos and gowns at home as well.

We always enjoyed seeing the stewards in their finest as well.

We have passed the salon many times on different ships on formal nights -- you are right -- no line up ladies getting all spoofed up.

Maybe we're in the minority, but we happen to enjoy formal nights. After all, once you've invested in a tuxedo, gowns, vests & cummerbunds, and patent leather formal shoes, there are precious few opportunities to wear them outside of cruises and the occasional gala.

That said, I completely respect those who don't want to pack all that extra clothing. The airline baggage fees can really add up.

We've always been ones to dress for the venue. If I didn't have the proper clothes for the evening's dress code, I would eat in the Lido or order from room service. A few years ago, the ship's dry cleaners temporarily lost my tuxedo pants. They found them, but not until dinner was half over. I sent my wife on ahead with our table mates, and waited in the cabin until my pants showed up.

If we really wanted a casual cruise, I'd probably pick another line. There are so many choices out there today that you're bound to find one that meets your needs.

Just one man's opinion. :thumbup:

We are thankful for the many years that we did dress up both on cruises and for business parties and functions.

But we have seen the world changing around us. DH was so disappointed on our repositioning cruise to see so few men in tuxedos that he made the decision to stop wearing one.

We truly respect those who still wish to wear tuxedos and long gowns.

When we got home from that cruise, DH went on a spending spree and bought new suits, jackets, dress shirts -- he spent over 4 times what we paid for his last tuxedo.

We are thankful for the many years that we did dress up both on cruises and for business parties and functions.

But we have seen the world changing around us. DH was so disappointed on our repositioning cruise to see so few men in tuxedos that he made the decision to stop wearing one.

We truly respect those who still wish to wear tuxedos and long gowns.

When we got home from that cruise, DH went on a spending spree and bought new suits, jackets, dress shirts -- he spent over 4 times what we paid for his last tuxedo.

Well said. I am one of those guys that has always taken a Tux on our cruises (where they had formal nights) and DW and I both enjoy dressing up. But we have an upcoming 26 day Princess cruise which is followed by a month trekking around Europe (with a rental car). A Tux is dead weight for that trip in that it is useless once we reach Europe. So for the first time I will be traveling with just a decent Blazer since it can also be used in Europe. As one those ole time cruisers I am wrestling with the "guilt" of going to a Princess formal night in only a Blazer and grey slacks...but that is life.

Hank

We got over the guilt each and every time we lifted our luggage out of the car, off the train, up the stairs, on to the ferry, or pulled it over the cobblestones.

That feeling will pass...very, very quickly.

Why any need for guilt?

Nothing to feel guilty about, IMO

We all make our choices for our own reasons.

As long as they don't harm anyone else and are legal, what's the problem? :confused: