Lock on Balcony Door

so i just posted that we upgraded from oceanview to balcony (or what they call deluxe ocean view) and we will have 7 yr old and 3 yr old with us. i asked the lady at RCI if they are able to lock the balcony door up high where the kids can't reach it, and she said "yes, the attendant does that", but then that we can open ourselves..

anyone been in a balcony with little kids before?

On our last cruise on Allure of the Seas, we were in a Boardwalk balcony room. The balcony door there had a lock on the top part of the frame of the sliding door that would be out of reach of children but accessible to adults (well, tall enough ones) in the cabin.

Edited by Daghis

On our last cruise on Allure of the Seas, we were in a Boardwalk balcony room. The balcony door there had a lock on the top part of the frame of the sliding door that would be out of reach of children but accessible to adults (well, tall enough ones) in the cabin.

ok good! this whole balcony thing is making me nervous with chairs out there and my 3 yr old who is "very adventurous."

I'd stop worrying. It takes me all my time to slide the door open and the lock is high up and you have to pull down the handle to slide it open A three year old would have to drag a chair to stand on and there's usually only one in the cabin under the desk unit .

We also have a 3 year old and a balcony and I want to throw up at the thought. We also have an interior room so I'm hoping she will spend most of her time in the interior room. I can't tell how the door opens but I wonder if we can bring our own child door lock to place on the door. And yes, thinking of throwing the chairs and table overboard as well :)

we also have a 3 year old and a balcony and i want to throw up at the thought. We also have an interior room so i'm hoping she will spend most of her time in the interior room. I can't tell how the door opens but i wonder if we can bring our own child door lock to place on the door. And yes, thinking of throwing the chairs and table overboard as well :)

yes!!!!

If I had your concerns I would never have gotten a balcony cabin........Better safe than sorry.......

And I agree, but the hubby has always wanted one and I am a bit overprotective when it comes to her anyway, just because of her adventurous personality. We won't be in the room that much anyway, so I'm sure it will be fine. I'm probably just worrying too much when I should just focus on enjoying it :)

We also have a 3 year old and a balcony and I want to throw up at the thought. We also have an interior room so I'm hoping she will spend most of her time in the interior room. I can't tell how the door opens but I wonder if we can bring our own child door lock to place on the door. And yes, thinking of throwing the chairs and table overboard as well :)

oh and also a great point about your own lock. what type were you thinking?

There are small plastic stick up alarms you could put on the doors. Used them when the grandkids were small. No lounge chairs on an ocean view balcony. As for the table and chairs, you would be out there with them so they would be within reach at all times. Just don't let them drag the table and chairs over to the railing.

Just curious, are you worried about your 3 year jumping ship while out exploring the rest of the ship?

I would think there would be a higher chance of falling off the side of the ship then on your personal balcony. The rooms are small. I can't imagine you would be able to have your eyes away from them long enough to get the door open, slide the chair over to the railing, climb up the chair and then jump over.

If you look at the picture the door handle is down when the doors open when its closed the lever is pushed up and I think there's a child lock at the top of the handle Im sorry I cant remember exactly where .

I dont think they would find it easy to open the closed door but you would obviously have to watch them when out on the balcony, . Im glad my kids are grown up now :).

The lock and the handle on the door are definitely hard to work. But if you really do not want the balcony furniture, you should ask the room steward to take it away.

And if he seems hesitant to do that, ask at the guest services desk and tell them exactly why you are concerned. I can't imagine any ship would refuse to remove those chairs if you say your child may potentially climb over the rail.

Edited by Gayle V

Just curious, are you worried about your 3 year jumping ship while out exploring the rest of the ship?

I would think there would be a higher chance of falling off the side of the ship then on your personal balcony. The rooms are small. I can't imagine you would be able to have your eyes away from them long enough to get the door open, slide the chair over to the railing, climb up the chair and then jump over.

I disagree.

The main outdoor decks -- that is, the pool decks -- are arranged kind of like a wedding cake. That is, if you somehow managed to top the railings, you'd hit the next deck instead of the ocean. While that's bad, it's not 3-year old in the ocean bad. In contrast, your balcony room is directly over the one below it, and the ocean is directly below -- and you have chairs on your balcony, perfect for climbing.

Also the railings in the public areas are tall (over a 3 year old's head), and they're angled "inward" and have plexiglass covering the railings, so a person who tried to climb them couldn't use his or her feet. In contrast, the private balcony railings are lower and -- again -- come with a chair conveniently placed for climbing.

No, IF a problem were to occur, it'd be on a private balcony.

Regardless, it's really not something about which to worry. Has anyone ever heard of a child going overboard? And lots of parents drink too much or simply are so lost in their own world that they don't supervise adequately. No, it's adults doing stupid things or adults who are the victim of foul play who go overboard.

LOL... No, but my son is so different from my daughter, that I guess I am just overprotective of her because she's so much more fearless than my son. My husband isn't worried about it at all.

I guess i just want to take all the precautions I can (within reason). But the bars aren't a bad idea ;)

and I'm sure once we are on board, there will be nothing for me to worry about and I'm sure I will realize i'm overreacting.

As others have mentioned, the sliding doors are heavy, the locks and handles are not flimsy....and the balcony rails are plexiglass (not bars with spaces in between). However, you could pack a couple 24 or 30 inch - one inch dowels in your bag to lay on the door tracks to prevent the door from sliding open.