How formal on Formal Nights

SEAEDP

I'm taking my first cruise in May on the Westerdam, and I wondered how formal the 'formal' nights are? Will I need a tuxedo? A dark suit? Or a blazer and slacks?

Also...during the day just hanging out on the ship and the lounges, are jeans appropriate? Or should I always wear slacks?

I'm taking my first cruise in May on the Westerdam, and I wondered how formal the 'formal' nights are? Will I need a tuxedo? A dark suit? Or a blazer and slacks?

Also...during the day just hanging out on the ship and the lounges, are jeans appropriate? Or should I always wear slacks?

The three choices you list are all acceptable and appropriate for formal nights. During the day, just hanging, jeans are fine.

DH always wore a tuxedo and it was a long dress for me for many years.

As we saw fewer gowns and tuxes, DH started wearing dark suit and even sometimes just a sport jacket and tie and I wear cocktail dresses.

We've had the pleasure to dine with Officers on formal nights and our new idea of formalwear worked just fine.

Tuxedo is welcome if you wish but definitely not required.

Edited by sail7seas

I am building up a nice collection of smart casual through to semi-cocktail outfits that work for me, and I can wear most places that are not cruises. We do still have a residual collection of formal/wedding attire, with hats and the whole works, but hope never to cruise with them again. DH much prefers a nice shirt, trousers, maybe a smart jacket, no tie. He did wear his DJ on formal nights on our last HAL cruise, Oosterdam in November, but there were few men wearing them, they were mostly wearing what we would call golf club attire. He will take his kilt on our next cruise, with the Argyll and the full works, we are cruising from our home port with unlimited luggage, but I am revolting and sticking to cocktail trousers/leggings, and arty top. Even for the Captain. Even if Putin himself turns up. Maybe I'll take a pair of heels. Maybe not. Cruise lines are moving towards more contemporary notions of attire, casual in the day and smart casual at night.

Cruise lines are moving towards more contemporary notions of attire, casual in the day and smart casual at night.

Seems that this question is asked in some form every other week. IMHO the above statement should be looked at by HAL. I completely agree with it. I have nothing against folks who want to wear formal attire. Sometimes it is nice to dress for the occasion because most of us do not get to do it often. But for me when I go out for the evening I like to dress "smart casual". Why because I am more comfortable with an open neck with no tie restraints when I dine. I like to be comfortable when watching a show. I do bring a suit with me or a jacket only to comform to a dress policy that HAL rarely (IMO) enforces. I got off the Zuiderdam in January and it was my observation that the tux was almost non-exsistant. Also, on formal nights there were more people dinning in the Lido & Cannalleto to avoid wearing the formal attire.

bob

I got off the Zuiderdam in January and it was my observation that the tux was almost non-exsistant.

bob

I wonder if the time of year has something to do with it? We saw more formals and tuxes on the Zuiderdam in December than I have seen for quite a while. Maybe because the next week was Christmas week and many people were doing a b2b? I wore gowns two of the formal nights and felt completely in place.

simple, sherry. the 'dress code' is 'suggested.' they might enforce it in the mdr, pinnacle, or tamarind, but not in lido or canaletto for sure. and rarely if ever in the show lounge; lots of people change after mdr dinner to attend shows -- like it or not. now, i always wear nice slacks and a dress shirt on 'formal nights', but never a jacket or tie; and eat in the lido or canaletto without any problem. such is the 'state of the art' on hal, i suppose. hope you enjoy your cruise.

and, please, no controversy here. rules are as rules are enforced. and hal doesn't enforce the 'dress code' to any great extent.

simple, sherry. the 'dress code' is 'suggested.' they might enforce it in the mdr, pinnacle, or tamarind, but not in lido or canaletto for sure. and rarely if ever in the show lounge; lots of people change after mdr dinner to attend shows -- like it or not. now, i always wear nice slacks and a dress shirt on 'formal nights', but never a jacket or tie; and eat in the lido or canaletto without any problem. such is the 'state of the art' on hal, i suppose. hope you enjoy your cruise.

and, please, no controversy here. rules are as rules are enforced. and hal doesn't enforce the 'dress code' to any great extent.

Unfortunately for us who care to pack it and dress as asked.:rolleyes:

HAL does state dress code of the evening is for the entire ship.

So, how is it OK to dress different in the Lido or anywhere for that matter?

Technically, the dress code is for all public areas. However, we've sailed with people who change after dinner in the MDR. Sometimes it's rather warm on the ship and a wool tuxedo or long gown can be downright toasty.

I know that this is utterly nonspecific advice, but I would say, "Try to look nice."

Because there was a time when there was no such thing as dinner in the Lido. Eventually, it became apparent that there was a need to have a dining option for those who did not want to dress for dinner. Dinner in the Lido was designed to fill that need; it was designed to be a casual alternative.

HAL's dress code does lead many to scratch their head. It is vague at best. It is no wonder people post questions about what to do.

The advice frequently given here on CC that the MDR, Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind are subject to the suggested "Formal" dress code, and Lido and Canaletto have the more relaxed "Smart Casual" dress code, is based on everyone's experience on board. The specific venues are not mentioned by name in HAL's guidance on its website.

HAL's statement about observing the dress code throughout the evening is particularly confusing to many, since passengers dining in the Lido and Canaletto likely would not be in formal attire. However, I will say that I have frequently spotted couples in formal attire in the Lido eating dinner. I always thought that was nice, since those people were dressing formal based on their personal preference, and not some requirement that everyone be dressed as such.

For the record, here is HAL's statement on the matter, such as it is:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies may wear a suit, cocktail dress, gown or fancy blouse/top with slacks and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

However, I will say that I have frequently spotted couples in formal attire in the Lido eating dinner. I always thought that was nice, since those people were dressing formal based on their personal preference, and not some requirement that everyone be dressed as such.

Perhaps those couples had plans to go to the show, or spend the evening in a public lounge later, and were following the dress code (as you quoted).

Perhaps those couples had plans to go to the show, or spend the evening in a public lounge later, and were following the dress code (as you quoted).

Yes, or perhaps they preferred the atmosphere and pace of the Lido as opposed to the MDR. Either way, it was nice to see they were dressing as they desired.

Yes, or perhaps they preferred the atmosphere and pace of the Lido as opposed to the MDR. Either way, it was nice to see they were dressing as they desired.

And just to add (didn't get to edit in time :) ), I have not personally observed anyone being denied entry to the show or a public lounge on a formal night evening if they were dressed in Smart Casual attire. Perhaps others have experienced otherwise? A strict interpretation of the guidelines would suggest that the formal wear dress code applies to the entire ship (including Lido and Canaletto). However, the reality on board, in my experience, has been that enforcement of the formal dress code, when it occurs, is limited to the MDR, Pinnacle Grill and, as I have read, Tamarind.

We certainly have no particular issue with a dress code in the MDR nor do we have a particular issue with it's enforcement.

That said, it is very clear that HAL is NOT expecting people to adhere to the dress code in other areas of the ship. It is not enforced, nor can if be without severely impacting customer satisfaction and revenue.

There are many cruisers who would run away from HAL if there was even a hint at enforcing a formal dress code throughout the ship on formal evenings. Not going to happen...in fact the world is going the opposite way.

On HAL we eat in the Lido, before 8, or in our cabin. On other lines our choice of casual dining venues on formal evenings is greatly enhanced-as are the hours of service.

Does the itinerary have an effect on the formality of formal nights? We will be cruising the Greek Isles on the Eurodam in April and I wondered if that would be more or less formal than our Mexican or Caribbean cruises. :confused:

Does the itinerary have an effect on the formality of formal nights? We will be cruising the Greek Isles on the Eurodam in April and I wondered if that would be more or less formal than our Mexican or Caribbean cruises. :confused:

We definitely see more tuxedos on our Mediterranean cruises than we do in the Caribbean. I would guess at about 25% compared to at most 10%.

I will be among the <10% on the NA next week; with no attitude at all for those who choose to enjoy the cruise's formal nights more casually. In fact the couples we are traveling with will most definitely not be in tux or gown. Even on smart casual nights I will be in jacket and tie. Late dining is just a little more special for us when we dress a little out of the ordinary.

Dennis

I will be among the <10% on the NA next week; with no attitude at all for those who choose to enjoy the cruise's formal nights more casually. In fact the couples we are traveling with will most definitely not be in tux or gown. Even on smart casual nights I will be in jacket and tie. Late dining is just a little more special for us when we dress a little out of the ordinary.

Dennis

That goes for us as well. If I want to have A 5 star experience then I have a responsibility to do my part to create it. The staff dress is elevated as should ours.

It's funny/sad to hear about cutbacks when veteran cruisers can't even be bothered to dress a couple times per week. Then you advise new cruisers about how no one dresses anymore....but hey be sure to take away Another thing that made HAL stand apart from the others....then complain that the standards and service are in decline...

BTW--ever think that maybe the service in the MDR is slow because many that used to work the MDR now have to work in the Lido?

That goes for us as well. If I want to have A 5 star experience then I have a responsibility to do my part to create it. The staff dress is elevated as should ours.

It's funny/sad to hear about cutbacks when veteran cruisers can't even be bothered to dress a couple times per week. Then you advise new cruisers about how no one dresses anymore....but hey be sure to take away Another thing that made HAL stand apart from the others....then complain that the standards and service are in decline...

BTW--ever think that maybe the service in the MDR is slow because many that used to work the MDR now have to work in the Lido?

You are the first in my memory to make reference to the concept more stewards are required in Lido with so many more cruisers having dinner there rather than MDR. I think you make a very good point. It had not occured to me in exactly that way that could be part of the reason there are fewer dining stewards in MDR.

Very valid point.