what kind of clothes for an Oceania cruise

6663KS

Pinotlover,

The reason I asked was because we had dinner with the Hotel Manager on Marina on our BCN-RIO cruise in November, and my recollection was that he said the senior staff had more like 2 month contracts. (Of course, he might have been talking about himself -- he said he is on Marina 2 months, on Riviera for 2 months, and then off for 2 months.)

I also know that we've been trying to connect with Capt. Flokos recently ... I'm not a good enough mathematician to figure this out, but he left Marina just before we boarded on November 20th, and will be leaving again just before we board Marina on May 22nd ...

I know that the lower level people have much longer contracts than senior staff. (And if you ask me, they work a lot harder! Although the captains might not agree with me.)

Mura

Dimitris Flokos is on the Regatta

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

Continuing this off topic conversation, I was recently on a short Royal Caribbean cruise to get out to the cold and I had a conversation with RC's top cruiser. He told me he had been on an RC ship for 52 weeks a year for the last 14 years and was booked as far as they had cruises announced. It's a good gig if you can do it I guess. I just don't have the discipline for it on the eating, or the pocketbook.

I'll enjoy my 3 or 4 cruises a year.

Might be cheaper Than assisted living

If you want to save space in luggage then men"s Jackets and Suits are best left home. Nice silk shirts, Tommy Bahama, Cabella's guide or Nat Nast shirts take up a lot less weight and space. That allows my bride to pack many more outfits.

Half of which she could also leave at home.....:D

The dress code is long trousers and collared shirt k the evening dining venues. Cargo pants meet the code, so he won't be turned away. Beyond that, it's a matter of taste. Some folks think no one shoild wear cargo pants or cargo shorts anywhere, at any time. I don't agree. The extra pockets are very handy when on a shore excursion, and none of us look great after hours on tour. I have convertible trousers/shorts with cargo pockets, cargo shorts and such.

Having said that, I also bring a couple of pairs of dressier trousers (khakis or better) for dinner, and at least one pair of what I call dress shorts (no cargo pockets). They aren't from Costco because we don't have one near us, but they are mostly from Sams Club ;).

Thank you all who took the time to answer my ?? on what to wear onboard. I can see that there is/was a difference of opinion so I will go with the answer that I wanted to hear, mainly that my husband doesn't need a sport jacket because he doesn't own one and isn't about to buy one. We always lug a suit along for formal night on other lines, and it is a pain to carry after we finish the cruise and head off for a month of independant travel.

The cargo pants that I had referred to are brand new [Costco] and the same type have done all the other cruises.

thanks again everyone.

Brits only wear cargo trousers (pants) when going fishing, camping etc as they are considered casual.

The "Country Club Casual" attire that Oceania touts is really what made us choose them in the first place.

My DH does not like to dress up, and for me it presents a huge packing dilemma. Having cruised on ships where there was a "formal night", I greatly appreciate the lack of them on O.

Actually, it was mostly European guests that wore jackets, suits, ties, etc. on our cruise. The dress code in the U.K. is quite a bit more formal than in the U.S. (generally speaking). It is fairly easy to tell the European passengers from passengers that live in North America when onboard.:)

With the exception of a lovely Dutch couple who we met on a recent TA who invited us to join them for dinner in the GDR. He was the first gentlemen I've ever seen who wore plain, ordinary blue jeans to dinner so we looked quite overdressed next to him!

The dress code is long trousers and collared shirt k the evening dining venues. Cargo pants meet the code, so he won't be turned away. Beyond that, it's a matter of taste. Some folks think no one shoild wear cargo pants or cargo shorts anywhere, at any time. I don't agree. The extra pockets are very handy when on a shore excursion, and none of us look great after hours on tour. I have convertible trousers/shorts with cargo pockets, cargo shorts and such.

Having said that, I also bring a couple of pairs of dressier trousers (khakis or better) for dinner, and at least one pair of what I call dress shorts (no cargo pockets). They aren't from Costco because we don't have one near us, but they are mostly from Sams Club ;).

Cargo Pants are ESSENTIAL if you are planning on spending the entire day out at port. Not sure I'd wear them to dinner, but I completely agree - These are a packing staple. :)

Thanks for the answers I just read. Ken has worn cargo pants every cruise for the evening, except for the formal dinners and I think he has always looked fine. They are the type that zip off and have pockets on the side. Like I said, from Costco so you might have seen them. With a button type shirt or a golf shirt, they look nice. Also, he is taking brand new ones. he hasn't hiked, cut the lawn or mud wrestled [hee hee] in them, so I think he won't offend anyone. Actually, he doesn't really care. what can I say, he is a casual man, haha. Likes comfort, crazy man! He has to lug the suitcase up and down B&B stairs for over three weeks when we go on to England, so I will let him chance offending some people. Please note, that I am writing this with tongue in cheek. We are going to be on the Nautica in April, so if you see him coming and it will offend you, don't look! haha.

The "Country Club Casual" attire that Oceania touts is really what made us choose them in the first place.

My DH does not like to dress up, and for me it presents a huge packing dilemma. Having cruised on ships where there was a "formal night", I greatly appreciate the lack of them on O.

Well said. I have enjoyed several cruises on Crystal and Cunard and am willing, but not thrilled to do the tuxedo thing, but indeed there is something special, relaxing and stress free about Oceania's Country Club Casual policy.

No more tuxedos or formal dress for us. Country club casual is perfect, although I'll still take too many clothes:D. Even if we go on mainstream, we'll eat in specialty dining on formal nights. Too many people ignore the dress code.

Karsa;

Tuxes are absolutely overkill, and rarely seen on O. Not sure about the comment about people ignoring the dress code? I have seen people turned away from the specialities and GDR for obvious violations of dress codes, particularily on the Marina. They either go to the Terrance or go change clothes. Showing up in flip flops, shorts, and a T-shirt will not typically get one in the door at a speciality, even though I have witnessed some try repeatedly.:eek:

Having belonged to multi country clubs around the country due to work reassignments, I can state that country club casual, in most clubs, involve the gentleman wearing a jacket in the main dining room. The clubs all have 19th Holes, or other named casual eating and drinking facilities, where appropriate golf or similar (not swimsuit) attire is allowed. On O we would call the later the Terrance. It would be incorrect to suggest that "country club casual" only involves the dress code of the lower tiered facilities, it much more comprehensive than that. I believe that Oceania tries to strike a compromise, at the dinner hour, between the very casual side of the lower tiered cc facilities and the strict jacket requirements for men in the upper tier restaurants.

Karsa;

Tuxes are absolutely overkill, and rarely seen on O. Not sure about the comment about people ignoring the dress code? I have seen people turned away from the specialities and GDR for obvious violations of dress codes, particularily on the Marina. They either go to the Terrance or go change clothes. Showing up in flip flops, shorts, and a T-shirt will not typically get one in the door at a speciality, even though I have witnessed some try repeatedly.:eek:

Having belonged to multi country clubs around the country due to work reassignments, I can state that country club casual, in most clubs, involve the gentleman wearing a jacket in the main dining room. The clubs all have 19th Holes, or other named casual eating and drinking facilities, where appropriate golf or similar (not swimsuit) attire is allowed. On O we would call the later the Terrance. It would be incorrect to suggest that "country club casual" only involves the dress code of the lower tiered facilities, it much more comprehensive than that. I believe that Oceania tries to strike a compromise, at the dinner hour, between the very casual side of the lower tiered cc facilities and the strict jacket requirements for men in the upper tier restaurants.

I certainly agree with you about the tuxes - I have never seen one on Oceania. ditto - tee shirts and flip flops are unacceptable and my personal peeve is baseball hats at the table:eek:

I do take exception to your statement that, "CC casual involves the gentlemen wearing a jacket in the main dining room." Just for fun I googled all the major golf clubs in my area (Pacific Northwest) for their dining room attire requirements. Uniformly they require men to wear collared shirts, no jeans. Only one of 10 even mentions men's jackets and then only as being as optional. Similarly, I have not encountered an "upper tier restaurant" in our area that requires men to wear a jacket in at least 20 years.

Perhaps we are dealing with an east-west difference? The definition of CC casual has certainly evolved to be more casual and has perhaps evolved more rapidly here in the west.

Robbie

I certainly agree with you about the tuxes - I have never seen one on Oceania.

Perhaps we are dealing with an east-west difference? The definition of CC casual has certainly evolved to be more casual and has perhaps evolved more rapidly here in the west.

Robbie

Same on the east coast, no jackets required.

When I mentioned mainstream I was talking about what on cc is called mass market ex, Princess etc. On those there is no regard for dress code, such as'formal'night. Looking forward to country club casual on O.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

When I mentioned mainstream I was talking about what on cc is called mass market ex, Princess etc. On those there is no regard for dress code, such as'formal'night. Looking forward to country club casual on O.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Very interesting information. I cannot imagine going on a cruise and not respecting a dress code (or any policy set forth by the cruise line). :(

Just because some people wear bathrobes in public (and I have seen that on Oceania more than once) is no reason the rest of us cannot keep up appearances. No sequins, no tuxes. Just dress nicely for heavens sake!

Pants, shirts, dresses and sport coats have been discussed. How about ladies shoes?

Tennis shoes and casual sandals are good for day time. What about evening? I physically cannot wear heels. I do have several Nice pairs of sandals. Flat, attractive and walkable for me. If open toes are a problem, can always wear some form of hose.

Any problems with this?

Thank you.

Pants, shirts, dresses and sport coats have been discussed. How about ladies shoes?

Tennis shoes and casual sandals are good for day time. What about evening? I physically cannot wear heels. I do have several Nice pairs of sandals. Flat, attractive and walkable for me. If open toes are a problem, can always wear some form of hose.

Any problems with this?

Thank you.

I think as long as they are not beach sandals you are fine I wear a flat dress sandal with open toes ..not a problem

• 4 months later...

Leggings? Are they possible? I have some very nice long tunics that I would normally wear with dress pants or a long skirt. But considering that the weather might be cold, do you think leggings with a dressy tunic are possible in the GDR?

I ask because they are very easy to pack and are warmer than my dressy pants. I will abide by the court of public opinion!

Leggings? Are they possible? I have some very nice long tunics that I would normally wear with dress pants or a long skirt. But considering that the weather might be cold, do you think leggings with a dressy tunic are possible in the GDR?

I ask because they are very easy to pack and are warmer than my dressy pants. I will abide by the court of public opinion!

Oh that is hard. I wear almost a uniform of black knit pants (cotton not that slinky travelers stuff that I do not like) with various tops. {my version of leggings} I think it appropriate. (or I wouldn't wear it). Leggings make me wonder as so many wear too tight (or their sausage is too much for the casing:rolleyes:) or they bag in the butt if you are very thin. I would bring some slacks and some leggings. Have you considered a long skirt -- my go to as comfortable, easy (and with leggings under very warm!!). So three tops and leggings, slacks and skirt and you have it all under control.

If we are wearing "smart casual" is the opposite dumb formal?

I have never ever been in or on a country club so that description is as ridiculous as smart casual. My smart casual costs a heck of a lot LESS than the fancy torn jeans and ripped shirts I see in the malls these days so can't put a price on it.

My favorite ever "formal night" outfit was a youngish (30's)man in a powder blue and pink large plaid suit with formal long coat and matching pants/pink shirt/purple tie/rhinestone ear clip/and shiny patent leather shoes (WOW) and his lady had a full sequined long sheath and tulle shawl with 4 inch heels. The children were in smaller versions of their parent's outfits but in different colors. I am sure Mamma Bear had read that they should dress up formal. There will NEVER be a dress code (or cruise line) that can handle it all!

I will never forget that formal night:D