what kind of clothes for an Oceania cruise

6663KS

But Jan has been known to travel on other cruiselines on occasion ... ahem!

I'm sure if she counted up all her cruises, she'd be up there with your 59 people.

Mura

Yep, May 22 our 74th cruise and 3rd in 6 months..December Celebrity, February Azamara

Jancruz1

Oddly enough, on our very first Caribbean cruise, just last month on Riviera, there appeared to be a real dress disparity between the men and the women: for the most part, the women dressed considerably more casually at dinner than typically on our European Oceania cruises but more of their spouses wore sports jackets to dinner than we previously observed on our European cruises. So basically the woman seemed to be dressing for a different occasion than their companions. It really struck me as odd how so many men wore jackets to dinner while their wives were in extremely casual garb. I was expecting the latter for the Caribbean but certainly not the former.

Edited by CintiPam

Neither do I but I have seen some on O and they always look out of place to me.

Sparkles are an everyday thing now, not like a few years ago when they were reserved for evening wear. Lots of casual wear has sequins and sparkles. Even jeans. I like them, but then I don't generally wear jewelry. But, there are sparkles and then there are SPARKLES. Personally I prefer sparkles. ;-)

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sparkles are an everyday thing now, not like a few years ago when they were reserved for evening wear. Lots of casual wear has sequins and sparkles. Even jeans. I like them, but then I don't generally wear jewelry. But, there are sparkles and then there are SPARKLES. Personally I prefer sparkles. ;-)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The difference is in the wattage about ten watts for daytime and some up to five hundred, light up the room, in the evening......

My final comment on this thread, and back to the original question.

Your husband will not be disallowed, by rule, in any of the restaurants for wearing cargo pants. Except for the Terrace, he will find himself in a very small minority if he so chooses to do so. If he won't feel self concious being in that small minority, then he should feel free to follow that path. Jackets are only used by some, not nearly 50%, for dinners, however wearing cargo pants to any of the specialty restaurants, and on many cruises (perhaps excluding those to the Carribe) to even the GDR would put him in the < 5% range.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your cruise. :D

Jan,

You have to get out more. On our last cruise there was a couple on their 59th Oceania cruise!!!

I am astounded... since Oceaina has been in business about 10 years that like 6 cruises a year !!! Assuming they are at least 14 day.... that's 1/4 of a year !! That's taking a cruise about every 45 days for 10 years!!!!!

Can that be fun? Once a year is more than enough for me... there are other things to do in life...good lord

My dream (not Stus because of our dog) is to live on any Oceania ship..a penthouse would be adequate for me on any of th ships..I would like one of the O ships if I had my choice but any would do..I would love to do the WC on Insignia and my favorite Captain will be on board..

Jancruz1

Hawaiidan,

We talked with them several times and they were in their late 60s, very active and enjoyed cruising. The 59, I believe, included several B2B but everyone on board knew them.

On the same cruise there were several couples introduced at the Club gathering that had more than 25 with Oceania!

Several years ago we met a Canadian couple who almost lived on the ship. The wife had had, I believe, a stroke and was mostly immobile. She could walk a bit and eat in the GDR, etc. The husband said it was perfect as he could enjoy himself knowing his wife was well taken care of. Every time we saw her a member of the crew was with her. It was fun in that he looked just like the Schwepps man. We have not seen them lately so they may have stopped or had additional medical problems.

In any event it is amazing what some people can do.

In their situation it beats a nursing home.... which is not fun or happy.

I could never do that... as I cruise because it is different from my normal life.

Sort of like if you liked skiing and lived in ski country... how fast the vacation becomes routine and routine becomes mundane and mundane becomes work. Making your escape disappear into routine

Having lived in some of our nations most stunning national parks on and off for 6 months as a time , I was the envy of visitor's. However, at the end of the season, I and others relished getting out for a break, ( took cruises).

Hawaiidan,

We talked with them several times and they were in their late 60s, very active and enjoyed cruising. The 59, I believe, included several B2B but everyone on board knew them.

We have sailed with them a few times & yes they do B2B's quite often

Lyn

Then you meet the couple that travels at least once a month on a major trip. We met one couple on our last cruise that did Churchill, Manitoba to see the polar bears in October, India to see the tigers, December, safari and January they were on a 30 day cruise. We didn't ask them where they had been the previous months but did enjoy their pictures of the polar bears. Some people just like to travel and have no ties to hold them down at home. We do have to consider our dog and cat as even though our adult children look after them, they pine for us when we are away.:eek:

Edited by no fuss travel

Continuing this off topic conversation, I was recently on a short Royal Caribbean cruise to get out to the cold and I had a conversation with RC's top cruiser. He told me he had been on an RC ship for 52 weeks a year for the last 14 years and was booked as far as they had cruises announced. It's a good gig if you can do it I guess. I just don't have the discipline for it on the eating, or the pocketbook.

I'll enjoy my 3 or 4 cruises a year.

My dream (not Stus because of our dog) is to live on any Oceania ship..a penthouse would be adequate for me on any of th ships..I would like one of the O ships if I had my choice but any would do..I would love to do the WC on Insignia and my favorite Captain will be on board..

Jancruz1

Jan, you brought up a question I never thought of before. I know the captains have relatively short contracts -- at least as compared to the ordinary crew (the servers, cabin crew, etc.). So does one captain do the entire world cruise? I would think not, but what do I know????

If I had to live on any of the ships (such a hardship ;) I think I'd want the OS on the "R" ships or a VS or OC on Marina or Riviera. That's a long time to be in relatively small space! Then again, I wouldn't have all my possessions with me so I wouldn't need all that much space ...

Mura

Mura;

Typically the crew have 9 month contracts, from what thy have told me. Our last cruise's captain term was 4 months, he told us, but it was short because he had a young wife and young kids! ;).A world cruise is 180 days, I believe that is well within a reasonable time frame that many would stay on board. A very good friend of mine works as the Doctor on Board for a cruise line. He negotiates his terms as what works for him, which seems to vary all the time. He's done 3 month stints and 9 month stints, and most everything in between.

Pinotlover,

The reason I asked was because we had dinner with the Hotel Manager on Marina on our BCN-RIO cruise in November, and my recollection was that he said the senior staff had more like 2 month contracts. (Of course, he might have been talking about himself -- he said he is on Marina 2 months, on Riviera for 2 months, and then off for 2 months.)

I also know that we've been trying to connect with Capt. Flokos recently ... I'm not a good enough mathematician to figure this out, but he left Marina just before we boarded on November 20th, and will be leaving again just before we board Marina on May 22nd ...

I know that the lower level people have much longer contracts than senior staff. (And if you ask me, they work a lot harder! Although the captains might not agree with me.)

Mura

Thank you all who took the time to answer my ?? on what to wear onboard. I can see that there is/was a difference of opinion so I will go with the answer that I wanted to hear, mainly that my husband doesn't need a sport jacket because he doesn't own one and isn't about to buy one. We always lug a suit along for formal night on other lines, and it is a pain to carry after we finish the cruise and head off for a month of independant travel.

The cargo pants that I had referred to are brand new [Costco] and the same type have done all the other cruises.

thanks again everyone.

Definitely no need for a sports jacket if he doesn't own one! I for one would not have a heart attack if we were in the dining room at the same time and he was wearing cargo pants.

Maybe if they're silk cargo pants???

Just kidding ...

My husband has worn levis to the GDR which were brand new, and in my opinion very sexy. They're a bit older now (no holes or patches) but he no longer does so.

Mura

Continuing this off topic conversation, I was recently on a short Royal Caribbean cruise to get out to the cold and I had a conversation with RC's top cruiser. He told me he had been on an RC ship for 52 weeks a year for the last 14 years and was booked as far as they had cruises announced. It's a good gig if you can do it I guess. I just don't have the discipline for it on the eating, or the pocketbook.

I'll enjoy my 3 or 4 cruises a year.

Dunno. 52 weeks x 14 years on Royal Caribbean sounds more like something out of Dante's "Inferno."

I know it is fun to poke fun at the major cruise lines on this board, but I would not be so quick to judge. I came up through the ranks from Royal Caribbean to Regent and Oceania, but I remember distinctly sitting at the Terrace on my first Regent Mariner cruise wondering what was the difference except not paying for my glass of wine. The casual restaurant seemed very familiar (although the food more skimpy) and I had to hunt a waiter down to get my wine. I have since become a convert to Oceania and Regent but I believe any day at sea beats a day on land and would go back to Royal Caribbean in minute if the alternative was not cruising. I had great waiters on the a Radiance that remembered me and recognized me cruise to cruise and I enjoyed the experience. Yeah, now that my kids are grown and I have some funds I enjoy Oceania and a Regent more but I would not hesitate to be on a Radiance class or smaller Royal Caribbean ship for my remaining days. I simply loved the sea and cruising.