Azamara Journey’s propeller damaged in Japan

AzamaraJoel

Sandy & Others,

More detail here on the compensation details related to airfare and Visa's. This is content from the letter that is sent to all affected travel partners and guests.

Thank You, Raul Parquet

Azamara Club Cruises

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clients who booked their air transportation through Azamara Club Cruises will receive a full refund. If you did not purchase air transportation through Azamara Club Cruises, we will assist by paying for any airline change fee, up to $500 per person. We suggest that guests whose airfare change fee exceeds $500 contact their travel insurance provider for additional assistance.

Additionally, if you purchased a visa for the March 3 sailing, we will provide you with a refund of that fee. Guests should send a copy of the receipt for the airline change fee and visa, along with a brief note explaining that they were booked on the March 3, sailing of Azamara Journey to the following address:

Azamara Club Cruises, Customer Service – JR March 3, 1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132-2096. Please ensure that you include full name and reservation number with their receipts. Guests may also or scan their receipts and e-mail them to AzamaraGuestRelations@AzamaraClubCruises.com

If you have already traveled to Shanghai, we will work with you directly to get back home.

Again, we sincerely apologize for this unexpected development and its impact on you vacation. As always, we thank you for your ongoing support of Azamara Club Cruses.

Sincerely,

Azamara Club Cruises

Sandy & Others,

More detail here on the compensation details related to airfare and Visa's. This is content from the letter that is sent to all affected travel partners and guests.

Thank You, Raul Parquet

Azamara Club Cruises

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clients who booked their air transportation through Azamara Club Cruises will receive a full refund. If you did not purchase air transportation through Azamara Club Cruises, we will assist by paying for any airline change fee, up to $500 per person. We suggest that guests whose airfare change fee exceeds $500 contact their travel insurance provider for additional assistance.

Additionally, if you purchased a visa for the March 3 sailing, we will provide you with a refund of that fee. Guests should send a copy of the receipt for the airline change fee and visa, along with a brief note explaining that they were booked on the March 3, sailing of Azamara Journey to the following address:

Azamara Club Cruises, Customer Service – JR March 3, 1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132-2096. Please ensure that you include full name and reservation number with their receipts. Guests may also or scan their receipts and e-mail them to AzamaraGuestRelations@AzamaraClubCruises.com

If you have already traveled to Shanghai, we will work with you directly to get back home.

Again, we sincerely apologize for this unexpected development and its impact on you vacation. As always, we thank you for your ongoing support of Azamara Club Cruses.

Sincerely,

Azamara Club Cruises

Thanks for the added information Joel and Raul.

One more question for you. Those of us who had to cancel Shanghai hotels will need to pay a cancellation fee. For us, it is one night's cost. Will these cancellation fees be reimbursed by Azamara?

Thanks again for your quick responses.

I think there are quite a number of costs that will come up and it would be helpful if, rather than case be case confusion, Azamara Joel comes to the boards regularly and gives us a definitive "policy". The issues I am aware of are:

1. Loss of frequent flyer miles as the cancellation was less than 24 hours from the flight

2. Cost of airfares when the ticket cannot be transferred to a new booking

3. Airport car parking - pre booked non cancellable

4. Hotel cancellation costs -

I am sure others will add to the list.

unfortunately as I read it my travel insurance which is a fairly standard UK policy does not cover cancellation on the grounds of the ship breaking down but I will try and schedule time tomorrow to speak with the company

Edited by uktog

Joel,

thank you for your updates.

Unfortunately we didn't find out soon enough and were already on the plane in shanghai before we heard about the news of cancellation.

we will probably stay here a few days as scheduled but want to get to Hong Kong by air.

will Azamara refund that cost as we were supposed to sail to that port and fly home at the end of the sailing?

Is there a local office in shanghai that we can be in contact with??

thanks again for your assistance on this situation.

ellen

Uktog, I have spoken to the UK team and have been advised they have been in touch with you over the phone. They will continue to work on your situation tomorrow morning. There are many complexities involved in your travel and reservations made and they will treat those items with the highest concern.

Thank you for you patience and support today. I know it has not been easy for you and the other guests affected.

Raul Parquet

Azamara Club Cruises

Ellross,

I apologize we could not notify you prior to your departure. As far as communications, it is important to identify what office you booked your cruise through, what country?

We have sent communications to all travel agents who have booked guests on the 3rd March voyage, as well as contacted the guests who booked directly.

I would advise you contact your travel agent or contact us at the below number

1-855-292-4636 from the United States and Canada.

Details on those guests who are already in Shanghai are as follows -

Guests who traveled to Shanghai

full refund

75% FCC

if purchased air through Azamara: full refund + flight home at no charge

up to $500 per person in air change fees will be covered for independent air

should it be necessary for guests to stay in Shanghai overnight until their return flight home, we will provide a complimentary hotel room, as well $100 per diem, per guests, for meals and incidentals

Thank you, Raul Parquet

Azamara Club Cruises

Ellross,

Are you a US/CAD guest? Did you book our Azamara air? If you have trouble calling the 800 number from China here is an alternate, best option would be to call ETT they accept collect calls. 3055394107

Thank you, Raul Parquet

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello Uktog & Others

My name is Raul Parquet, I work at Azamara with Joel & Signe. I manage social media and international business for the brand. My team and I have been posting the updates here and within our social networks.

Thank you for your support of Azamara for many years, with Bill Lieber as Chief Blogger we have followed all of your conversations for many years and we would not be where we are today without all of your constant feedback and communication.

Regarding the Journey incident. We completely understand your situation and thank you for your continued patience. I will give you as much information as I have to this point.

The operational teams are taking care of the guests onboard the Journey. This is mostly onboard operational at this point, although our shoreside teams are involved as necessary.

Shoreside we are fully focused on the cancelled voyage - March 3 out of Shanghai. The details of the compensation is our number one priority and is being finalized as we speak. We are in constant communications with our various internal & global teams to communicate with travel agents and consumer directs. There is a certain complexity level to the situation, as some guests have already arrived in Shanghai.

We should be ready to broadcast compensation details and do call outs in the next hour from our global offices.

Thank You, Raul Parquet

Azamara Club Cruises

After reading this, I'm wondering how effective Shoreside will be communicating and answering questions for the pax involved. It is a well known fact many people are extremely unhappy with Shoreside.

I do know this is a most unfortunate situation, and while I am not on this sailing, I am on two future sailings and will definitely see how well the pax are treated and how Shoreside handles their end of it.

I know many situations can arise that can affect whether a ship sails or not.

I'm truly hoping everything goes smoothly so some of those not happy with Azamara will see the cruise line triumph on this one.

After reading this, I'm wondering how effective Shoreside will be communicating and answering questions for the pax involved. It is a well known fact many people are extremely unhappy with Shoreside.

I do know this is a most unfortunate situation, and while I am not on this sailing, I am on two future sailings and will definitely see how well the pax are treated and how Shoreside handles their end of it.

I'm truly hoping everything goes smoothly so some of those not happy with Azamara will see the cruise line triumph on this one.

Well certainly Azamara has been very communicative in the past few days on these very boards, so I do not understand why you appear to me to be so pessimistic already, particularly when you are not directly affected. I urge you to give Azamara a chance to prove themselves in these very difficult circumstances.

Edited by CintiPam

We heard just in time to not leave for the airport and spent yesterday in a daze. We feel Azamara are being fantastic in the speedy way they are trying to help, it was unavoidable for them. Cant believe its really happened some things are a nightmare . We have tried to book elsewhere using our pre arranged days because of work, pet arrangements etc but nothing available. Dont know if to unpack or not .At least with insurance plus AZ we should not be out of pocket

Tried to book another Azamara cruise but travel agent saying we will not be able to use discount unless we book after certificate received 6-8 weeks. But that maybe too late to organise.

We have to think more about some of the people this was their trip of a lifetime not just one of many cruises.

You are speculating and it's not very helpful. It's early in the process so let's give Azamara a chance.

Phil

We heard just in time to not leave for the airport and spent yesterday in a daze. We feel Azamara are being fantastic in the speedy way they are trying to help, it was unavoidable for them. Cant believe its really happened some things are a nightmare . We have tried to book elsewhere using our pre arranged days because of work, pet arrangements etc but nothing available. Dont know if to unpack or not .At least with insurance plus AZ we should not be out of pocket

Tried to book another Azamara cruise but travel agent saying we will not be able to use discount unless we book after certificate received 6-8 weeks. But that maybe too late to organise.

We have to think more about some of the people this was their trip of a lifetime not just one of many cruises.

Really feel for all of you. A cruise like this doesn't have a straightforward set of arrangements and I hope you get it sorted out and find a replacement. With a 75% discount off a future cruise I think I'd be looking at one of those Antarctic trips of a lifetime ;)

Phil

Its funny you saying Antarctic that is one we are looking at because most Azamara only go where we have been. Were you on the Singapore Mumbai last year I seem to remember someone from Harpenden.

I was not meaning its our trip of a lifetime by far, I know for someone it was.

......We have tried to book elsewhere using our pre arranged days because of work, pet arrangements etc but nothing available. Dont know if to unpack or not .At least with insurance plus AZ we should not be out of pocket

Unfortunately it seems that this is the bit that Azamara & agents don't seem to be able to sort. It's only a piece of paper, if only they could use a modicum of common sense and help people take their holiday now and sort out details later.

I do understand that this is an unusual occurence and there are people already out there and in transit who are a priority, but just a little leeway could help people like Uktog and lunicorn.

Unfortunately it seems that this is the bit that Azamara & agents don't seem to be able to sort. It's only a piece of paper, if only they could use a modicum of common sense and help people take their holiday now and sort out details later.

It is difficult for people who are not retired to just take off another 3 weeks of time. I have opted to do a week on Windstar in a warm climate. Going to Asia was to be the biggest adventure my DH and I had done in our travels thus far. I really don't know if I will undertake planning that trip again.

Safe travels to all!

Uktog, I have spoken to the UK team and have been advised they have been in touch with you over the phone. They will continue to work on your situation tomorrow morning. There are many complexities involved in your travel and reservations made and they will treat those items with the highest concern.

Thank you for you patience and support today. I know it has not been easy for you and the other guests affected.

Raul Parquet

Azamara Club Cruises

Excellent... to me this sums up their dedication to their clients. He has personally reached out and understands the clients individual needs....

I don't see any need for negativity/speculation... IMHO...!

CC

So sorry to hear such heart-breaking news and now so much administration to deal with. I know you will have travel insurance and would urge all others to consider this as almost as vital as the cruise booking.

It's not just about getting cruise payment refunded, but equally important are the connected plans.

Tim,

I contacted my insurance company yesterday to see how we are covered in case Azamara had to cancel the next cruise from HK on 17th March. They confirmed our own conclusion on this, the cruise company cancelled and they would be responsible for the cost of the cruise and thats it, in this case Azamara is doing more regarding flights etc. We would not have been able to claim anything from the insurance company for flights hotels etc. Luckily our cruise is going ahead but the only thing our travel insurance is valid for is cases of death, sickness or rather stragely becoming unemployed, maybe UK ones are different?

Rosalyn

We have all different types also in uk, we always pay more than standard because a friend was covered for illness abroad but not to fly her and her husband back an experience we learnt from.. We are getting money back for hotels, tours ,sumo wrestling tickets etc so for once we are claiming back . Maybe we can claim for all our time now spent trying to book something else :)

Its funny you saying Antarctic that is one we are looking at because most Azamara only go where we have been. Were you on the Singapore Mumbai last year I seem to remember someone from Harpenden.

I was not meaning its our trip of a lifetime by far, I know for someone it was.

We did the Antarctic trip last January on Quest and it was wonderful.

I believe some of the team on Azamara Club cruises have gone well above and beyond the call of duty - in particular the manager who rang us at 10.30 last night.

I am delighted to report we are about to leave to join a Celebrity cruise leaving on Sunday, we could not get to Quest it was too difficult to get flights to Costa Rica for us.

We have paid for this second cruise, we were able to rebook because we were not waiting for refunds or the certificate which we will use for one of our future bookings

My only thoughts as I wish everyone all the best as they rework plans, is that

I have been impressed by the communication on these boards by Azamara Joel and Raul

I think for the future when looking at policies/processes they do need to think about a quick rebook route for those people who are not waiting to use any compensation to fund a new booking

The efforts by Mark King and his team at Azamara UK have been first class

but..........how will things be when there is full transfer of powers to Guatemala in an incident like this

Good luck everyone and I will be back with an X vs Az comparison in a few weeks

I am delighted to report we are about to leave to join a Celebrity cruise leaving on Sunday

Ann, Have a marvelous time! Hopefully we will meet up sometime on a future AZ cruise. Yes I must say the response from AZ has been very good. I never did receive a phone call form AZ but my TA has been in touch with me. I am still trying work out getting some out of pocket costs covered.

Kathy

I believe some of the team on Azamara Club cruises have gone well above and beyond the call of duty - in particular the manager who rang us at 10.30 last night.

I am delighted to report we are about to leave to join a Celebrity cruise leaving on Sunday, we could not get to Quest it was too difficult to get flights to Costa Rica for us.

We have paid for this second cruise, we were able to rebook because we were not waiting for refunds or the certificate which we will use for one of our future bookings

I have been impressed by the communication on these boards by Azamara Joel and Raul

I think for the future when looking at policies/processes they do need to think about a quick rebook route for those people who are not waiting to use any compensation to fund a new booking

but..........how will things be when there is full transfer of powers to Guatemala in an incident like this

icon14.gif

Phil

Hello All, we appreciate your constant feedback. I understand sometimes there is frustration with process and procedure in situations like these.

I have taken your recommendations to our executive committee to adjust the current model on allowing affected guests to re-book another cruise right away prior to the compensation plan being completed and also the certificate for future cruise received.

It is a valid suggestion and one that we will work on. Hopefully this is an adjusted model we will never again have to deploy, if you know what I mean.

Uktog, thank you again. We love our sisters Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. We will make it up to you and hope to see you back onboard with us very soon.

Lunicorn, I have reached out to the UK team to work on your situation specifically and should have more details for you shortly.

I will be posting an update shortly on what is taking place in Osaka, as the Journey arrived today. You can also follow the updates on our Twitter accounts - @AzamaraVoyages @AzamaraJourney and @LarryPimentel

Larry is very engaged and hands on regarding the welfare of our guests and crew. He posts a lot of information on his twitter account, I encourage you to follow him.

Thank you, Raul Parquet

Azamara Club Cruises

We hope you have a wonderful holiday. Looking forward to reading your review.

Hilary & Colin