Spring Break in Texas: Review of Navigator of the Seas March 9, 2014

Thanks so much for this review. Will be sailing NOS March 30th. Our last RCCL was two years ago on Mariner and the bed was so incredibly horrible that I thought I would never cruise again. The next year we cruised Alaska with HAL and their beds were so very comfortable! Am hoping NOS has new beds and would like to know what you think about them. Thanks.

Edited by saintbernardlover

I understand you purchased the soda package. Are there any freestyle soda machines on board? If not, could you ask at the bar if they know of any plans to put the freestyle soda machines onboard?

No Freestyle machines on Navigator yet.

Dudaze - ding ding ding :) yes that is where I am.

Saintbernard - I don't know if they are new, but I had no problems sleeping. The pillows are cheap, synthetic filled...but I don't expect the comfy down pillows on a cruise. I just peeked at the mattress and it looks pretty white....no guarantee that means new though it is kind of thin, but I can't remember how thick cruise mattresses are supposed to be.

No freestyle machines. I could ask a bartender, but my guess is they'll look at me like an idiot. Or I'll ask 5 and get 5 different answers.

Woke up at 7:30....that is sleeping in for us! It is really overcast and maybe 70 degrees. Too cold for any type of pool activity (for me). Shoot....I'm wishing I brought more jeans....I need low to mid-80s to start wearing tank tops, etc. it's weird not to be cruising out of Miami and be hot right away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Haha...you are at one of OUR church's colleges.

Going to Meet and Mingle today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't get anything for the meet and mingle.....I have some thing for a suites cocktail hour, but that was it.

I didn't get anything for the meet and mingle.....I have some thing for a suites cocktail hour, but that was it.

Should be today at 11:30 am Cosmopolitan Lounge.

I understand you purchased the soda package. Are there any freestyle soda machines on board? If not, could you ask at the bar if they know of any plans to put the freestyle soda machines onboard?

I read on another thread (maybe the big Navigator refurb thread?) that they do plan to install them but they haven't announced when that will happen.

Dudaze - ding ding ding :) yes that is where I am.

Great school! My daughter is a graduate, now in school administration. I'm really enjoying your review. We'll be on Navigator in June. This spring break we're going on Serenade out of NOLA.

LOVING THIS THREAD!!!

@SEAOFWONDER-Regarding the internet, you state the cost as 'unlimited wifi. $189.95 for one device'. Don't mean to sound dumb, but does that mean you can use the ships desktops OR use your own device? Or that only 1 device can be logged on to your account at a time?

Yes, go frogs!!

Just played trivia with a Rice family, but their daughter goes to tcu, so I can forgive them.

I haven't seen any auto shufflers at the tables, but I'll double check the single deck. I did find cleopatra II today...shoved in a back corner.

Internet package means that only 1 device can be connected at a time. I'm not sure if it works for their computers or just wifi. I always just use my laptop or iPad.

Service isn't super fast...I was using the duolingo app last night and there was definitely a lag in response time.

What's the deal with the room stewards? We were out of the room from 8 until just now (11:15) and the room has not been cleaned. We left the 'make up room' card in the door. On past cruises they are like ghosts...we could be gone for 30 minutes and the room would be cleaned. I noticed this on Allure this past summer that rooms weren't being cleaned until early afternoon. We're room people....so it's a bit awkward when they show up to clean and we're lounging in the room.

Yes, go frogs!!

Just played trivia with a Rice family, but their daughter goes to tcu, so I can forgive them.

I haven't seen any auto shufflers at the tables, but I'll double check the single deck. I did find cleopatra II today...shoved in a back corner.

Internet package means that only 1 device can be connected at a time. I'm not sure if it works for their computers or just wifi. I always just use my laptop or iPad.

Service isn't super fast...I was using the duolingo app last night and there was definitely a lag in response time.

What's the deal with the room stewards? We were out of the room from 8 until just now (11:15) and the room has not been cleaned. We left the 'make up room' card in the door. On past cruises they are like ghosts...we could be gone for 30 minutes and the room would be cleaned. I noticed this on Allure this past summer that rooms weren't being cleaned until early afternoon. We're room people....so it's a bit awkward when they show up to clean and we're lounging in the room.

Umm, that shouldn't be happening in an Owner's Suite.

Tonight is formal night and captain pictures.

Looks like escargot is on the menu everyday now. I wish they had a nice simple mixed greens salad with oil and vinegar, instead of the heavy Caesar salad.

Tonight's menu is a little blah, but it's the one night that we do formal....so I guess we'll go.

Restaurant credit is on the account as is the OBC that we had. We'll probably go to Giovanni's since we've never been. Just need to figure out which night.

Room steward just came to apologize...something about a mandatory meeting....you would think that management would schedule that in the afternoon when they are not cleaning. Seems odd to me. Oh well.

It's windy and overcast still...some very low clouds outside.

Oh, we did breakfast in the mdr. Meh. The yogurt and fruit was good but it had the French toast and normally I love this stuff, but there has been a change on our last two cruises. It looks very sloppy, the bread is thinner and mushy, and it doesn't have the nice crisp sugar crust. I know people on here have talked about cutbacks....we've cruised March 2013, August 2013, and now. I've definitely noticed changes since last year.

It's not enough to deter me from cruising or from royal. Just small things I've noticed and thought I would share. It's not "ruining" my cruise or anything :)

Edited by seaofwonder

A lazy afternoon.

Played in the slot tournament and didn't come close to being in the top 10. Broke even on the slots.

Headed back to the room to veg out and do some work reading.

Still pretty overcast outside.

Tonight they are showing the newest Hobbit movie on the big screen and there is some adult comedian (although we've been hearing from many people that he wasn't very good last night). There is also a production show....but I think I've seen it before on a previous cruise (some compilation of numbers from popular musicals).

Saw someone get turned away from the windjammer today because they were wearing shorts and a bathing suit top.

Salad bar selection in WJ was much better today: spinach, mixed greens, sunflower seeds, raisins, sliced almonds, pecans...yum! They also have olive oil and vinegar available. No sourdough rolls though...probably a good thing. Saving me some calories.

Edited by seaofwonder

Thanks clochette!!

Standing around for the muster drill. Unfortunately, we got an outside station and it's still too chilly to just be in a t-shirt. I'm all bundled up!

Going to head up to the Concierge Lounge after this to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just got off the ship this past Sunday and our safety drill was in the Star Lounge. We didn't notice too much of a change on the Navigator. No coffee table in our cabin which made it look odd.

I was planning on scanning the Compasses but my computer is in the shop. And I am having a hard enough time trying to type this on my Kindle without trying to load photos on it.

If you go to the Diamond Lounge you almost need to go half an hour early just to get a seat.

I'll be back later when I get my computer back this week to read "your" review. Have fun. Our next cruise will be a B2B on her, the Navigator.

We just got off the ship this past Sunday and our safety drill was in the Star Lounge. We didn't notice too much of a change on the Navigator. No coffee table in our cabin which made it look odd.

I was planning on scanning the Compasses but my computer is in the shop. And I am having a hard enough time trying to type this on my Kindle without trying to load photos on it.

If you go to the Diamond Lounge you almost need to go half an hour early just to get a seat.

I'll be back later when I get my computer back this week to read "your" review. Have fun. Our next cruise will be a B2B on her, the Navigator.

We didn't go to the D lounge last night, but will check it out at some point. We just don't really drink....so we've stopped going.

We were on her a few years ago in the Med and I think the seating and public areas look great...they were showing their age before. But I don't feel like I'm on a "new ship" or anything.

Piano man is Phil Anderson....I believe someone asked. They also have a country band, I guess to appeal to Texans.

I read on someone's review before that there was the group "HOME FREE" not sure if that is the 'country band', but if it is Home Free, CHECK THEM OUT!!! They were on the latest season of the Sing Off.. Acapella group. Talented. Country or not.

ETA: NOPE not them.. They are on tour in the states. Sorry!

Edited by Laney219