Carnival dropps Playa Mia/ Coz

We were booked on the Dream in June and had an excursion to Playa Mia booked. When they turned the itinerary around they canceled our excursion and change to Chabaknob.

When I went to the excursion site it was not listed, does anyone know why they would do that? Could we do as a third party or would that not be a good idea?

My family booked through the ship the first time they went to Playa Mia. They discovered they could take a taxi there on their own and just pay the small fee to get in and save a lot of money. With the Carnival excursion, they got free drinks. The past 2 or 3 times we have gone to Cozumel, they took the taxi to Playa Mia and that is what they are doing on our next cruise in May.

When we were there we just got off, got a taxi to playa mia and payed for the entry that included drinks, Saved loads on Carnivals price and turned up before the Carnival excursion so had the choice of seats.

We were booked on the Dream in June and had an excursion to Playa Mia booked. When they turned the itinerary around they canceled our excursion and change to Chabaknob.

When I went to the excursion site it was not listed, does anyone know why they would do that? Could we do as a third party or would that not be a good idea?

I always do Playa Mia in Cozumel and NEVER book through Carnival.

I know that there are lots of other places besides Playa Mia, but it is the only beach excursion I have ever done there. My Mom and I did it five years ago when we were on the Liberty. We booked it through Carnival, only because it was a last minute decision after we were on board.

I had a pulled muscle in my rib cage from an injury prior to my cruise, and didnt want to do too much while in Coz, so Mom suggested this, and we had a wonderful day there. Our excursion included drinks and food, beach chair and umbrella.

I spent a lot of time in the water, just floating, and paddling, drinks were plentiful and good service (with tip of course) food was not great but adequate. I would not hesitate to go there again, and would now just take a taxi there and pay entrance fee. strange thing was after the day we spent here my pain in the ribs was gone. I swear it was from the "water therapy"

I am also open to trying other things. Chakanab, Mr Sanchos, Nachi, hope to try them all some day.

We are currently booked to the cooking class through Carnival for our April cruise. I have not heard anything about this being canceled? How do you do the cooking class without booking through Carnival?

We are currently booked to the cooking class through Carnival for our April cruise. I have not heard anything about this being canceled? How do you do the cooking class without booking through Carnival?

We booked through a private company (can't remember the name) and they negotiated with Playa Mia staff and let us take the cooking class.

I know that there are lots of other places besides Playa Mia, but it is the only beach excursion I have ever done there. My Mom and I did it five years ago when we were on the Liberty. We booked it through Carnival, only because it was a last minute decision after we were on board.

I had a pulled muscle in my rib cage from an injury prior to my cruise, and didnt want to do too much while in Coz, so Mom suggested this, and we had a wonderful day there. Our excursion included drinks and food, beach chair and umbrella.

I spent a lot of time in the water, just floating, and paddling, drinks were plentiful and good service (with tip of course) food was not great but adequate. I would not hesitate to go there again, and would now just take a taxi there and pay entrance fee. strange thing was after the day we spent here my pain in the ribs was gone. I swear it was from the "water therapy"

I am also open to trying other things. Chakanab, Mr Sanchos, Nachi, hope to try them all some day.

Mr Sanchos and Nachi Cocum are adjacent to each other and Playa Mia is just a bit further down the same stretch of beach. Since you said the food was only average at Playa Mia, why not try one of the other two? Same sand & water. Mr Sancho's caters to families with kids, and Nachi is adults only. I had camarones aliole, shrimp grilled in garlic last time at Nachi, it was excellent.

Another beach in the opposite direction but still on the same coast is Paradise Island. You can reach that by speedboat or catamaran, and they serve a lunch of chicken and ribs with rice.

Edited by evandbob

If you are booked through Carnival, and have not had any message from them re cancellation, then your excursion in April is likely still in effect. You can check the Carnival website or call the 1 800 number to confirm the info though, just to be safe. I will always love Playa Mia, because of that one great day I spent there. Hope your tour is still good and you have a great time.

Mr Sanchos and Nachi Cocum are adjacent to each other and Playa Mia is just a bit further down the same stretch of beach. Since you said the food was only average at Playa Mia, why not try one of the other two? Same sand & water. Mr Sancho's caters to families with kids, and Nachi is adults only. I had camarones aliole, shrimp grilled in garlic last time at Nachi, it was excellent.

Absolutely hope to do this some day, next time to Cozumel. My next cruise takes me to eastern Caribbean, but I know I will back to Cozumel some day, and will definitely check out one of the others.

Another beach in the opposite direction but still on the same coast is Paradise Island. You can reach that by speedboat or catamaran, and they serve a lunch of chicken and ribs with rice.

We did Nachi last year and there were kids. My daughter, 2 nieces and 3 nephews. As well as other kids.

Paradise Beach is also an option for Cozumel. Their fee is only $3 per person and it is easy to get a taxi to/from there. http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/ Here is the TripAdvisor page for them with the reviews. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d574699-Reviews-Paradise_Beach-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Nachi is not adults only but they do not have a discounted price for children or teens. Mr. Sanchos has an AI or a la carte option and the food and service is great. They do have discounts for kids and teens on the AI package. You also save $5.00 per adult by booking on the Beach Tours site. Mr. Sanchos also has the waterpark (additional $12.00 each). Mr. Sanchos includes free snorkel gear in the AI price.

Nachi food is limited to 3 courses. Mr. Sanchos is ALL you can eat or drink.

I think you mean Passion Island, not Paradise Island. That is off the north end of Cozumel.

Paradise Beach is on the south side next to Carlos N Charlies Beach Club.

Edited by DebJ14

We are sailing on the Sunshine this Sunday and turns out Carnival cancelled the excursion for Playa Mia and replaced with the Chankanaab beach. No email/phone call from Carnival; just happened to check since I was printing off the cruise documents.

Since we didn't want Chankanaab in the first place, we are just going to cancel the shore excursion. Do you guys recommend reserving Playa Mia in advance or showing up to the facility w/out reservations?

Carnival cancelled the excursion for Playa Mia and replaced with the Chankanaab beach. No email/phone call from Carnival; just happened to check since I was printing off the cruise documents.

This just happened to me and I found this very odd. Why would Carnival assume how I want to spend MY money?? Wow, I was floored when I noticed the change. I don't mind choosing another excursion - the point is, what right do they have to choose my alternative excursion? Is this a common practice of carnival?

Does one have to worry about ice at these places? I E water and tummy issues?

Can one get a Taxi that drives calmly, ask them too etc. really worrried about just crazy driving with bad neck issues...looking forward to that water and warmth...

Thanks...Sarah