Tableclothes, Whats the big deal?

cruisin chef

That alone is the reason for a table cloth in a public area. Second would be the acoustics.

I like them only because they keep my legs warm when I am eating in the dining room, it is always so cold in there!:)

These reasons plus the elegance..I do not think some kind of cover will ever go completely out. I had a tablecloth make a cardtable and director's chairs work in the early years until i got my table..a rather casual formica wood look top with wood..white washed look..it is mixed with fancier dark things inheritied like a cherry hutch of grandmas and divides the kitchen eat bar area fromm the living room. With whole family the bar area has placemates on half and table has tablecloth that goes together...always for decor and for dinners and family style service on other side of bar counter and we all can sit close in those two places..bar chairs swivel for the chat time..I can't imagine life without my little tablecloth collection added to now and then at TJ Max or Marshalls..and most especially..one my dear mom made and some of my grandmothers....this always dresses up and protects my little table.

And not in the Main dining room of a ship.....that is just sad to me, why keep the tea that so many love then??...sorry but i really hope they rethink..and in this one area mix classic with their modern looks....and play a part with what I am almost sure will turn into a bare table fad for the most part. They are/were coming back to some loft bldg restaurants in Portland I remember...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

No tablecloths means less elegance to me. I don't have tablecloths in my home (I do have a runner tho) but I don't really do elegant dinners. On a cruise when I want an elegant dinner I can have one in the MDR. I hope the Breeze doesn't change to the new menu before we go in November!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

No tablecloths means less elegance to me. I don't have tablecloths in my home (I do have a runner tho) but I don't really do elegant dinners. On a cruise when I want an elegant dinner I can have one in the MDR. I hope the Breeze doesn't change to the new menu before we go in November!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just to be clear, they DO have them on Elegant nights.

I'm on a cruise ship. I don't have to cook or clean up the kitchen for an entire week. I spend my days lounging in the sun in the middle of the sea. I'm headed somewhere warm and beautiful. I couldn't care less if they serve my food on a paper plate from the Dollar Tree. I'm there, and that' all that maters. LOLOL :D

I tend to want to throw iup when I see that wet rag come out of that gray tub of dirty water and dishes when they wash down the tables for the next customer.

You have no idea how many times we have reported to the supervisor on the Lido that the tables stink from the filthy rag they use to wipe the tables. We never put the silverware right on the table up there.

I want the tablecloths. When they put down hot plates or cold drinks we are going to end up with a puddle in front of us that is inevitably going to get on our clothes, ruin the finish in the long run and end up costing them more.

We went out for dinner the other night and there were no tablecloths. By the end of the meal the table was nothing but puddles. They used to have tablecloths. When I asked the manager he said they quit using them due to the expense of having them laundered. They raised the food prices and could have thrown in a few cents more to cover the tablecloths. The manager admitted the table was a mess and admitted that the condensation was ruining the finish on the tables. So, the manager admitted they will end up having to buy new tables. Penny Wise and Pound foolish once again.

I definitely have a problem with the unsanitary aspects of a bare table that has been wiped down with a dirty rag, especially when norovirus is around. If anybody in the section has it the rag will transfer it to every table they wipe down with it. It is an almost perfect mechanism for spreading disease. Yuck!!

Lots of people using this as their reasoning for not liking no tablecloths. But my question is do you eat any meals in the Buffet? There are no tablecloths for breakfast or lunch. Is the table somehow cleaner during this timeframe?

Finally. Some sense about the tablecloths. Not once post about the environmental effects of not having to wash thousands of tablecloths everyday. Elegant night would be nice but definately not necessary every day . Cheers for carnival

Isn't a napkin the simple solution to not having your drink "sweat" on the table? They normally give you one anyway. Same as at the bars as where there aren't any table cloths either. It's a super easy fix. As far as the silverware on the table, it appears from the pic that they are placed on the napkin. From there you can set them on your plate or even ask for another napkin.

Don't stress, people. It's not like they have discontinued Chocolate Melting Cake! Now THAT would be cause for mutiny IMHO.

I too wondered about the cleaning, but less than the dirt - I wondered how much time it would take to do it properly. Seems like it is quicker to remove 1 tablecloth & replace it with another.

Trust me turning over a table with tablecloths take way longer than one without...... And as for the rags... if it is done properly the rag should be in a sanitizer solution that kills germs like norovirus.

While the lack of tablecloths would not ruin a cruise for me, it would lessen the experience. I enjoy eating in the MDR for the majority of my meals on board and the great service that comes with it. It is definitely a reduction in the elegant feeling.

As somebody else asked, do I eat meals in the buffet - the answer is no. I eat in the buffet maybe once per cruise.

I believe the uproar is more about people losing yet another thing they are used to. Will I sail Carnival again, most likely, but if any other line is anywhere near the same price I will choose it instead at this point.

I personally like the tablecloths. No, I don't use them at home, and they don't have them at McDonalds either... But the MRD is not either of them, its supposed to be an elegant dinner.

Certainly it by itself is not a deal breaker for me... But its the idea of the non-stop cutbacks, this just being the latest one, that may be getting me closer to jumping ship.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by CarnivalPlatCruiser

Not having bed spreads is a thing now?

Bed Spreads are nasty!! Will not stay in a hotel that uses bed spreads. You never know when they were cleaned and what's on them. We like the hotels that have the narrow coverlet thingy going across the bottom of the bed (at least it doesn't touch the area where our upper body will come in contact with it). Plus they seem to look nicer.

I personally like the tablecloths. No, I don't use them at home, and they don't have them at McDonalds either... But the MRD is not either of them, its supposed to be an elegant dinner.

Certainly it by itself is not a deal breaker for me... But its the idea of the non-stop cutbacks, this just being the latest one, that may be getting me closer to jumping ship.

Just my 2 cents

From what I've read, they have the tablecloths on elegant nights.

The other nights are more casual so no tablecloths.

I want the tablecloths. When they put down hot plates or cold drinks we are going to end up with a puddle in front of us that is inevitably going to get on our clothes, ruin the finish in the long run and end up costing them more.

Gee, they could start using Tervis Tumblers instead of the nice water goblets, and that would solve the puddle problem.:D;):D

I apologize for jumping in without reading the entire board. I just was on Glory(Feb 2) for the new menu rollout. 1st night was Super Bowl so ate Guys burger. 2 nd night elegant night. Tablecloths napkins and free mango mimosas. They poured our water and served us bread. The menu was different but that was all. 3 rd night had tablecloths and napkins, no poured water, a carafe was sitting on the table that they refilled as needed. Our bread/rolls were brought in a basket and set on table. This was pattern each night till our next elegant night. We had strawberry mimosas and back to serving bread and pouring water. Other than waiting each night for things to be sent from kitchen(bread was always late!) this was the only difference. And no server ever put my napkin in my lap. Not a fan of the menu, but can get used to other changes. The linen service remained constant.

I'm on the Freedom in Aug. Will be able to see if new changes.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I apologize for jumping in without reading the entire board. I just was on Glory(Feb 2) for the new menu rollout. 1st night was Super Bowl so ate Guys burger. 2 nd night elegant night. Tablecloths napkins and free mango mimosas. They poured our water and served us bread. The menu was different but that was all. 3 rd night had tablecloths and napkins, no poured water, a carafe was sitting on the table that they refilled as needed. Our bread/rolls were brought in a basket and set on table. This was pattern each night till our next elegant night. We had strawberry mimosas and back to serving bread and pouring water. Other than waiting each night for things to be sent from kitchen(bread was always late!) this was the only difference. And no server ever put my napkin in my lap. Not a fan of the menu, but can get used to other changes. The linen service remained constant.

I'm on the Freedom in Aug. Will be able to see if new changes.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Interesting. Maybe they are listening that the majority of their customers want the tablecloth.

The first time I heard about this, I was not really happy about it, but then I thought about it a bit, and realized that it really wasnt that big a deal for me. While I would prefer a tablecloth for most or all of the fore mentioned reasons in other posts, I know that I can live without one.

I eat lunch on board at the lido buffet area, be it, buffet food, deli, pizza etc, and those tables have no table cloth and I survive just fine without. At dinner time I do prefer to dine in the MDR and will continue to do so, even if it means no tablecloth. Would I prefer a tablecloth at dinner, yes! but I will still go and enjoy my dinner without one.

I know that a lot of changes have taken place on Carnival since my last cruise 4 years ago, but I am going on the next one fully expecting to love my cruise as much as the last 5 of them. ( with or without tablecloths ):)

Edited by SMSACE6