Friends of Dorothy need not apply.

As anyone who cruises Regent knows, the daily Passages newsletter is used to announce solo traveller get togethers, Sabbath service, Friends of Bill W. and other specialized group meetings. One group meeting that is no longer allowed on Regent is the Friends of Dorothy LGBT mixer.

At a time when civil rights advancements for the gay and lesbian community are on the forefront and anti-gay laws in Russia and even Arizona are being seen by major Corporations as inappropriate, what message does Regent send to it's guests when it eliminates such gatherings?

Friends of Dorothy or LGBT mixers are a time-honored tradition on cruise lines. In the past, they were added on request or based on the make-up of an individual voyage's passenger mix. I believe that Regent is the only company that has made the decision to no longer allow such gatherings.

Perhaps Regent would that prefer the LGBT community cruises on Seabourn or Silversea? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

I guess some could/would accuse Regent (or praise them - depending upon individual viewpoints) no matter whether they chose to specifically endorse (by advertising) OR ignore (by not advertising) such a meeting. In the past, haven't they also chosen to simply "ignore" (or not specifically endorse/advertise) meetings of CC members who also wanted to have an impromptu gathering onboard, as well?

I don't think Regent's corporate business plan is to either promote or discourage any particular social or lifestyle agenda among individual passengers - other than catering to customers/passengers who simply love ocean cruising and patronize their (Regent's) product.

Regent is neither "eliminating, prohibiting, or promoting" any informal ad hoc group of passengers that might want to spontaneously get together while onboard simply by their not choosing to announce such a meeting in their newsletter (Passages). Regent does not ask anyone about their individual sexual orientation prior to accepting a booking. They are not discriminating based upon sexual orientation and I'm sure they have no business reason to ask or know about individual preferences in this area.

I, as one of their customers, also don't want to know that information about any of my fellow cruisers, either. I personally happen to think that there's already way too much of that type of information being "pushed" out into public focus already.

If Regent were asked to run an announcement (in Passages) of a proposed social gathering for a meeting of "former Eagle Scouts", "black Viet Nam War Veterans", or "left-handed golfers", I doubt they would agree to announce that, either; but I wouldn't take that to mean that they were "prohibiting" that demographic from sailing on Regent.

I think Regent is wise to be seen as NOT pushing any particular social agenda for any particular segment of the population which does not specifically advance their corporate business objectives.

Announcing the meeting in the daily newsletter does not constitute promotion of the event any more than announcing that a dance class will take place endorses dancing, It merely tells those who are interested that the meeting is taking place in a certain venue at a certain time. Anyone who feels that doing so "pushes" information about other passengers is obviously bringing his/her own prejudices to the situation.

Surely expecting to be given some kind of special status as a particular demographic defeats the object of wanting an inclusive and non-discriminatory cruise experience? The LGBT community has fought long and hard for equality and acceptance so why not just join in the many activities available to everyone else? The several gay couples/singles we've met over the years on cruises specifically avoid LGBT gatherings because they don't like to be categorised or singled out as being somehow different. I certainly don't think Regent is abandoning their LGBT customers by not organising specific events for them, quite the opposite in fact.

As anyone who cruises Regent knows, the daily Passages newsletter is used to announce solo traveller get togethers, Sabbath service, Friends of Bill W. and other specialized group meetings. One group meeting that is no longer allowed on Regent is the Friends of Dorothy LGBT mixer.

At a time when civil rights advancements for the gay and lesbian community are on the forefront and anti-gay laws in Russia and even Arizona are being seen by major Corporations as inappropriate, what message does Regent send to it's guests when it eliminates such gatherings?

Friends of Dorothy or LGBT mixers are a time-honored tradition on cruise lines. In the past, they were added on request or based on the make-up of an individual voyage's passenger mix. I believe that Regent is the only company that has made the decision to no longer allow such gatherings.

Perhaps Regent would that prefer the LGBT community cruises on Seabourn or Silversea? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

I am wondering how you know this. In the last couple of weeks you are providing us with a lot of "insider" info but I am not sure of the accuracy of your reports

I would be upset if this information is true but every Regent cruise I have been on has had such an event and I have always felt Regent supports the LGBT community

In the case of the 'Friends of Bill W' meetings, I was told by a Regent staff member who had the authority to know, that these meetings were a US government requirement and that 99% of the time, no-one turned up to them, but if they did they were conducted seriously and compassionately.

I just did several searches and could not find any requirement (federal or otherwise) to hold Friends of Bill or AAA meetings on a cruise ship. While your source may believe it to be true, it is unlikely. If someone else knows of this requirement, it would be interesting to know about it and why it only pertains to this specific group of passengers.

AA is a private organization, and meetings are not a US government requirement. I am really sure of this. A lot of cruise lines do not have friends of Bill meetings.

As far as friends of Dorothy meetings, i have no opinion one way or the other. My friends and acquaintances who are gay or lesbian want to be treated the same as everyone else. It isn't like they have some mental illness or addiction that requires a support group. So I am unclear on the need for a meeting. Regent doesn't sponsor or advertise meetings for "straight only".

I just did several searches and could not find any requirement (federal or otherwise) to hold Friends of Bill or AAA meetings on a cruise ship. While your source may believe it to be true, it is unlikely. If someone else knows of this requirement, it would be interesting to know about it and why it only pertains to this specific group of passengers.

I have never heard of such a requirement, but perhaps it exists. As a member of AA I would like to add a little perspective to this discussion. Cruise ships, almost by definition, float on a sea of alcohol. It is everywhere and unavoidable, a very dangerous environment for a recovering alcoholic. I have many friends in the program who cruise and they would not be able to do so if Friends of Bill meetings were not available. While it is true they are often not well attended, just knowing they are there is often enough. As we say, two AAs in a room is a meeting.

Those who have not been afflicted by this disease have no true understanding of the power of the urge to drink, and giving in, even just once, can undo years of sobriety. While it may seem "altruistic" on the part of the lines to host these meetings, it is really just good business. AA has about 75 MILLION active members worldwide. Add in spouses, friends and families, and that is an awful lot of potential clients that might not otherwise consider cruising without the opportunity to attend meetings every day. While I have the utmost respect for Friends of Dorothy, at the end of the day, their meetings are a social opportunity, Friends of Bill are a necessity.

A note to RachelG. While they may not be advertised on all lines, I believe all lines offer the space for them. In 50+ cruises I have never been on a ship where a meeting was not available.

Edited by Roland4

Not sure how one would know of a meeting if it is not announced or advertised. I have sailed on a lot of cruise lines and ships. While the larger ones do have Aa meetings, as far as I can tell, they are not offered on the smaller ships. Don't recall seeing any announcements for meetings on silversea explorer or celebrity xpedition for example. Though I have definitely seen the postings for such meetings on regent, Oceania, and the larger silversea ships.

And I agree, it is smart for a cruise line to offer such meetings, both business wise and for the health of the passengers, but it is not a requirement.

Just wanted to add that I think the meetings are important and am pleased that they are offered (sorry for calling it "AAA" - thinking of my car:-) My point was simply that I do not believe that cruise ships are federally mandated to provide them. I sincerely hope that Friends of Bill, Friends of Dorothy, meetings for Lyons Clubs, military, etc. continue.

I am wondering how you know this. In the last couple of weeks you are providing us with a lot of "insider" info but I am not sure of the accuracy of your reports

Well tallship, I've been onboard Voyager for a couple of weeks now and interact with the staff and crew often as I have sailed several hundred nights on Regent.

I wouldn't post something that I wasn't absolutely certain about, however at the same time I do not want to draw my sources of information into the discussion.

Regent is my favorite line, I sail them almost exclusively and hope that the quality and service maintain their levels of excellence. I've shared with CC two or three things I've learned since getting onboard that disturb me and hope that others share the same view so that Regent hears us and things might change back.

That is all.

With the AA discussion, I was probably a bit to specific in my description based on what I had been told. The inference was that there was a formal requirement for the cruise line to demonstrate responsible serving of alcohol and to provide an alternative to alcohol for those passengers who needed or wanted it. Providing the daily 'Friends of Bill W' meeting was their way of demonstrating that requirement was fulfilled. Apparently asking who 'Bill W' is is a very common question for 'newbies' as we were.

Well tallship, I've been onboard Voyager for a couple of weeks now and interact with the staff and crew often as I have sailed several hundred nights on Regent.

I wouldn't post something that I wasn't absolutely certain about, however at the same time I do not want to draw my sources of information into the discussion.

Regent is my favorite line, I sail them almost exclusively and hope that the quality and service maintain their levels of excellence. I've shared with CC two or three things I've learned since getting onboard that disturb me and hope that others share the same view so that Regent hears us and things might change back.

That is all.

Thanks for the explanation. I suspect that changes back to the way it was are not likely.

Many moons ago on QE 2 we kept seeing "Friends of Bill" on the daily program

and felt left out - we never were invited.

MUCH LATER I figured out that "Bill" was Bill Wilson!

Many moons ago on QE 2 we kept seeing "Friends of Bill" on the daily program

and felt left out - we never were invited.

MUCH LATER I figured out that "Bill" was Bill Wilson!

Ok at last I don't feel so clueless! After many cruises I just kept thinking that "Bill" must be a very popular guy to turn up on so many different cruise ships :)

Funny thing is that I have never, ever heard of anyone called "Dorothy"!

Where the heck is all this coming from? Sorry it just seems to me after following (very briefly) this endless thread that someone couldn't find problems on board and came up with this!!

Frankly, I think Dorothy would be dismayed by this entire thread.....,,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think it is "Dorothy" as in "Wizard of OZ", apparently a gay icon!

I remember a post on Cruise Critic when a poster said his mother's name was Dorothy and she went to the meeting and had a great time! (No one hit on her!)

Where the heck is all this coming from? Sorry it just seems to me after following (very briefly) this endless thread that someone couldn't find problems on board and came up with this!!

It is not a problem for you, but that doesn't mean that it is not a problem for someone else. If Friends of Dorothy meetings serves the purpose of offering a welcoming environment for members of the LGBT community, and there are those that consider these gatherings to be a valued part of their cruise experience, I am not sure why anyone would object.

It is not a problem for you, but that doesn't mean that it is not a problem for someone else. If Friends of Dorothy meetings serves the purpose of offering a welcoming environment for members of the LGBT community, and there are those that consider these gatherings to be a valued part of their cruise experience, I am not sure why anyone would object.

You see that is exactly the issue! No one is objecting.... I'm sure Dorothy is a very classy gal and I am finding it very hard to believe that there is any "Corp conspiracy" by Regent to deny Dorothy or Bill or anyone else from having a get together.

I do not mean to belittle or insult anyone but is someone looking to creat an issue where no issue ever existed?

JMHO

Sorry all this PC stuff is just so over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

[

I remember a post on Cruise Critic when a poster said his mother's name was Dorothy and she went to the meeting and had a great time! (No one hit on her!)

...That is by far the best comment I have heard in regards to the friends of Dorothy....:)

Dorothy is a reference to Judy Garland's character in The Wizard of Oz. As anyone who is not catatonic knows Judy was a great favorite of the gay community.

Many times on smaller ships the cruise line does not advertise either Friends of Bill or Dorothy unless one of the passengers specifically asks for those meetings. Then they are posted in the program. For the life of me I cannot understand why those meetings would disturb anyone.