Quantum, Cape Liberty update

You should post your question on the cc East Coast Departures board. There are many very knowledgeable posters on that board who will give you accurate info. It also might help you to read the Cape Liberty 411 thread. The links are below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1693577

Thanks!

I really don't care what the terminal looks like - been on several cruise out of Bayonne & had no issues. I am going on vacation on the Quantum of the Seas NOT at the Bayonne Cruise Port :D

Pat

At least the buses are gone! They could put up tents and I would be happy if I can simply walk onto the ship....

Maybe not completely relevant to the original thread/topic but whats the quickest/cheapest way to get from this cruise terminal to the airport?

If you are going to Newark Airport the quickest cheapest way is to go to the taxi dispatcher and he will put your in a shared van for $16/pp.

I must admit I don't remember what any terminal looks like from the outside. I remember waiting 45 minutes in a huge traffic jam to get on the Allure, I remember waiting 30 minutes in a huge traffic jam to get on the Explorer at Cape Liberty, I remember a very small room at Cape Liberty to get your carry on luggage xrayed, I remember that damn tram at Cape Liberty, I remember waiting for luggage tags in the rain at FLL, etc...

All I remember about the outside is seeing the ship as we arrive at the port and thinking that's home for a week. :D

They are buses not trams....:D

Went down on Sunday to check out the construction at the port, here are some pics. Still lots to do but viewing inside the openings as we drove by, looks like the drywall is up and spackled!!!

1962496815_capeliberty1.jpg.06a8b1b22cdb805d76130c4033221029.jpg

1034459714_capeliberty2.jpg.421972ca6f2c3b0ca0cde8e96e147d74.jpg

1818521113_capeliberty3.jpg.cbcaea64ace19b14adf38733d95211b0.jpg

Edited by BobKat406

Looks like a lot of paving and grading taking place today. There were also apparently wrapped pieces of interior furnishing or equipment visible inside the terminal, through the large overhead door, as of this morning. The large rectangle that is not paved in the webcam shot will probably be a planting area as indicated in some of the renderings I have seen. Progress.

Eric

Is there some place one can go to see what the finished project is going to look like?

Looks like a lot of paving and grading taking place today. There were also apparently wrapped pieces of interior furnishing or equipment visible inside the terminal, through the large overhead door, as of this morning. The large rectangle that is not paved in the webcam shot will probably be a planting area as indicated in some of the renderings I have seen. Progress.

Eric

Updated version:

88e05076bdcfed1eb3d3e78c92752974.jpg

49e138c92a0790b3f6776b9ac5f90a90.jpg

98b03e1cc1b7641c49653978ec2e1ec2.jpg

Lloyd posted the correct new renderings. The aerial version posted by hitaway4 is no longer the plan. There have been significant revisions.

Here is the current webcam, showing the terminal progress. It looks very different than the earlier version:

http://oxblue.com/open/FitzpatrickNJ/CapeLiberty

Eric

I was wondering how luggage drop off is going to be handled. In the renderings it is showing people leisurely walking up the entrance with their small amount of luggage coming from all different directions. It looks like you will just drive up to the side walk for drop off in a similar manor as you would at an airport. I certainly hope that is not going to be the new method as that would be such a disaster. The current area next to the tent with the almost 40 angled drop off spots works very efficiently, I hope they do something similar.

I was wondering how luggage drop off is going to be handled. In the renderings it is showing people leisurely walking up the entrance with their small amount of luggage coming from all different directions. It looks like you will just drive up to the side walk for drop off in a similar manor as you would at an airport. I certainly hope that is not going to be the new method as that would be such a disaster. The current area next to the tent with the almost 40 angled drop off spots works very efficiently, I hope they do something similar.

The webcam shows 3 drop off lanes with one dedicated for buses. So it should be OK.

It seems impossible at this point but I'm still hoping they follow what Baltimore does. No port can compare to the simplicity of their setup. They have the luggage trailer lined up along the road you take to the terminal building and you stop, they unload the bags directly from your trunk to the trailer, and then you continue on to park or drop off. You never have to mess with the bags or luggage handlers. So easy and stress free compared to every other port.

It seems impossible at this point but I'm still hoping they follow what Baltimore does. No port can compare to the simplicity of their setup. They have the luggage trailer lined up along the road you take to the terminal building and you stop, they unload the bags directly from your trunk to the trailer, and then you continue on to park or drop off. You never have to mess with the bags or luggage handlers. So easy and stress free compared to every other port.

I agree, Baltimore is the gold standard for arrival.