Quantum, Cape Liberty update

Agree, what difference does it make what a terminal looks like. Some people will complain about anything

Seeing as I expect to spend no more than 15-20 minutes in this terminal I could give a crap what it looks like, so long as it has the necessary basic amenities (sufficient seating for those who need it, bathrooms, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

It does look like a warehouse but no real matter to me as long as it has enough room inside to cope with the constantly growing passenger numbers on the ships that will be docking there.

Enough room for registration stations (maybe the newer system might help?)

Enough room for easier baggage retrieval (departing).

Enough Customs stations to prevent the all too often long lines when departing the bigger ships.

Maybe a few "DINGER" and X-ray stations in the terminal itself so passengers can just walk across the tunnel into the ship with less bottlenecks.

OMO

bosco

I think the complaints over the outside looks of the building were limited to a few members. They have their right to voice their opinion. And I agree with the opinion that as long as this building can quickly process the passengers and the interior is clean and modern then the facility is a Total Win!

Honestly, I am amused and confused by folks that have a negative viewpoint on the new terminal. Face it... this is a brand new space with the "new cruise terminal smell" that you would expect. All the advertisements for the QOS and how advanced it will be along with the advanced process for checking in before you arrive all points to a very convenient and smooth embarkation for the passengers. I'm certain that the new facility will have all the necessary comfort and required facilities for a very short stint in the terminal prior to boarding the ship. Given what has been available in the past, I'd be happy and thankful for the upgrade that will be soon available.

For anyone that has sailed from Rome using the port of Civitavecchia can understand my sense of perspective on this matter since you are literally being processed to board the ship or disembark from a cruise in a large "tent" by the seaside.

There may be other ports in the world that have far less desirable facilities to process a ship of passengers embarking or disembarking. :confused:

Seeing as I expect to spend no more than 15-20 minutes in this terminal I could give a crap what it looks like, so long as it has the necessary basic amenities (sufficient seating for those who need it, bathrooms, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Amen, I have sailed from Bayonne many times and still wonder why so many make an issue over the terminal. I'm heading off to a well deserved vacay. Yipee for me!

Guest maddycat
Let's see. Brand new cruise ship. Brand new terminal. And some people still find something to complain about that the view from the terminal isn't what they expected. To quote the great philosopher William Shatner..."Get a life." You are going on a great cruise. Who cares what the view is from the port of departure? Every minute of your vacation experience won't be special. What's next on the list of things to complain about? no monorail running alongside the shoreline with pretty views of your ship as you arrive? You might have to...oh, the horrors...take a normal cab or drive your own vehicle to the port? What a horrible start to your trip! Why your vacation is simply ruined before it begins. Sheesh.

Great post. If there is one thing that we can count on, it is that those who post on cc with always find something to complain about.

Let's see. Brand new cruise ship. Brand new terminal. And some people still find something to complain about that the view from the terminal isn't what they expected. To quote the great philosopher William Shatner..."Get a life." You are going on a great cruise. Who cares what the view is from the port of departure? Every minute of your vacation experience won't be special. What's next on the list of things to complain about? no monorail running alongside the shoreline with pretty views of your ship as you arrive? You might have to...oh, the horrors...take a normal cab or drive your own vehicle to the port? What a horrible start to your trip! Why your vacation is simply ruined before it begins. Sheesh.

Great post Lone Star, can't wait to sail with you on Quantum in January. :D

Unfortunately the Terminal complaints are probably nothing compared to the flurry we will see when the first group of paying passengers sail on the ship.

They don't call this "Cruise Critic" for nothing. ;)

Denise

We have cruised from Bayonne a number of times and we thought it was an easy port to get in and out of. There were always people directing traffic and there was not much walking once inside the terminal building.

We have been watching the construction of the ship and the terminal and I am convinced that we will have an amazing trip through the terminal and on the Quantum. I am happy to see the terminal is not too large as that means less walking to get onto the ship. If a shuttle is involved, I would be okay with that too.

I look forward to sailing in less than 8 weeks!!

Mary

OMG, I couldn't agree more!!! With the new check in where we supply the pics BEFORE we get to the terminal, that should speed up everything too! So let's time it and see exactly how long we're in the "ugly" terminal.

I must admit I don't remember what any terminal looks like from the outside. I remember waiting 45 minutes in a huge traffic jam to get on the Allure, I remember waiting 30 minutes in a huge traffic jam to get on the Explorer at Cape Liberty, I remember a very small room at Cape Liberty to get your carry on luggage xrayed, I remember that damn tram at Cape Liberty, I remember waiting for luggage tags in the rain at FLL, etc...

All I remember about the outside is seeing the ship as we arrive at the port and thinking that's home for a week. :D

Well said.

Guest maddycat
does anyone know the cost of parking at the new terminal? about 12 of us will be going on Quantum in March and we are trying to get everything mapped out for costs. also, my husband is handicapped so iam hoping there is closer parking for him

No one will know the cost of parking at the new garage until it is completed. Right now, the available parking at the pier is $19 a day.

Was at the port this past weekend. They still have a long way to go before it is complete. What a mess.

I will just be happy that stupid shuttle bus will be eliminated. That will make everything so much easier.

By the time I leave in April I suppose I won't even recognize the place.

Wow!! Did I really offend you that much?! :eek: It was just something I noted. I was merely pointing out something I wish they considered during design. It's still part of the cruise experience as a whole. I like architecture, I like building design. That's nice that some of you won't remember what the building looked like after your vacation, I will because that's just me.

Just remember everyone, the reason the world spins is because of how different we all are. We all like different things. Don't get too offended. Like you say, "get a life" and don't bash someone who was just stating something that would've been cool when I wasn't even complaining in the first place.

End rant. :mad:

Was at the port this past weekend. They still have a long way to go before it is complete. What a mess.

I will just be happy that stupid shuttle bus will be eliminated. That will make everything so much easier.

By the time I leave in April I suppose I won't even recognize the place.

The terminal itself seems to be on or ahead of schedule.

Guest maddycat
Maybe not completely relevant to the original thread/topic but whats the quickest/cheapest way to get from this cruise terminal to the airport?

You should post your question on the cc East Coast Departures board. There are many very knowledgeable posters on that board who will give you accurate info. It also might help you to read the Cape Liberty 411 thread. The links are below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1693577