It may be time to reconsider the all you can drink package...

missyoulikegravy

It all boils down to whether one will drink the requisite amount of non- and alcoholic drinks, every day, to make it worthwhile.

I tend to get the coffee card, and if the voyage is 10 days, it breaks down to $3 a day. I don't drink much soda or juice, but if I got the Ultimate Soda & More package, that's another $10 a day. I'm fine with the ship's water, but even if I bought a couple bottles a day, that would be about $4. So my daily non-alcohol drink intake would cost $17 a day. I'd still have to drink $39 worth of alcohol a day, which is around 6-7 beers or around 5 cocktails a day, every day. Over a 10 day voyage, with ports and whatnot, I doubt that would consistently happen. So the package isn't worth it for me (particularly given the fact that I don't drink soda or bottled water with enough consistency, so I'd have to make it up in booze).

If your preferences are different, you might find the package worthwhile. But I think its important to state that the bulk of it will have to be in booze, even with the inclusion of non-alcoholic drinks given the relatively low cost of buying coffee card or drink package on its own.

As I have mentioned on another similar thread, I just don't see the value. Our upcoming 17 night cruise would run us $1915.90. Too much alcohol, too many calories, drunk? hungover?, etc. Just not for us. We plan to bring on 6 bottles of wine and pay the surcharge for 4 of these. We will likely have one or two cocktails most nights and purchase the coffee cards. We will enjoy ourselves and not come near the sticker shock of the cost of this pkg. at the end of our cruise. As I've said, to each his own.

agreed! If we got the package for our 19 day cruise, it would be a bit over $2000.00:eek: we also plan on bringing our wine and paying the surcharge, we will also bring on water and purchase the coffee cards, we do not drink soda or other liquor really, so this should be fine for us.

You are right though, to each his own.

agreed! If we got the package for our 19 day cruise, it would be a bit over $2000.00:eek: we also plan on bringing our wine and paying the surcharge, we will also bring on water and purchase the coffee cards, we do not drink soda or other liquor really, so this should be fine for us.

You are right though, to each his own.

This is good news! I did not know you were able to bring on your own wine and pay a surcharge...I have specific allergies and would gladly do this, we are booked on the June 14th Royal out of Copenhagen, were can I find out how much the surcharge is and if there is a limit ie is it just 6 bottles. Thanks for any info you can throw my way.

Cheers

This is good news! I did not know you were able to bring on your own wine and pay a surcharge...I have specific allergies and would gladly do this, we are booked on the June 14th Royal out of Copenhagen, were can I find out how much the surcharge is and if there is a limit ie is it just 6 bottles. Thanks for any info you can throw my way.

Cheers

You can each bring one bottle onboard to be consumed in your cabin without any corkage charged. After that, the corkage fee is $15 per 750ml bottle. I don't believe there's a limit and you can bring these to the dining room.

Cool.. It's going to be on the Ruby. We're boarding this week.

A few quick thoughts...

Let's try some common sense here... It's Princess, not Carnival. A very different type of passenger, usually. But during a short cruise and during a Spring Break period, all types of passengers board nearly every line. My only Carnival cruise had a woman passed out drunk at the muster drill (yes, before we sailed)... and she was being attended to by the medical staff 3 hours later while seated on the same bench... it happens. (she must have been with some quality friends who left her there)

7 drinks a day is easy when you include the specialty coffees and such... especially on the Sea days... and I am pretty sure I haven't pole danced in the dining room... I save that for NCL. (sarcasm alert for those who missed it)

How much people eat, drink, fool around, etc isn't anyone's business unless it impacts you....

Some people might like the drink package so they don't feel they need to pay attention to individual receipts... Has anyone ever been mis-charged on a cruise? Most of us have. Drink package takes the worry out of that... that adds value all by itself.

And yes, I do agree it can be a problem. I'll admit that. Didn't we read somewhere that Carnival initiated a 15 drink maximum per day for their package... Now even the libertarian in me agrees THAT's insane... That's abuse...

... but I am glad it's going to be on the Ruby ;)

Edited by SheepdogGriff

Fine Print: Princess cruisers may purchase the package on seven-night or longer cruises. All passengers traveling in the same stateroom must purchase the package, and any children over 6 years old traveling with adults who purchase the package must also purchase the $8.05 per person/per day Unlimited Soda & More package.

Thank you Cruise Junky and Caribill. I've asked this on quite a few of the threads and this is the first time I've got an answer. Yes, I could have looked it up but I was looking for first hand information since it seems to be an evolving program. I could probably live with the 6 and older but it would basically be money down the toilet for my autistic grandchild. The only reason I'd do it for her would be to make her feel equal to the others.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Keith, that's what an officer implied at our M&G on the Sapphire a couple of weeks ago. I asked him specifically whether that requirement is still in place. I don't know if this is the case but the implication is that this will be the policy.

Thanks Pam, guess they will be tweaking it as they have more experience with it.

On the first four day part of the cruise we witnessed some of the most ridiculous behaviour from the unlimited alcohol packages. We saw people puking in public areas to our dinner mates who were so drunk the jumped over a table and partition in the dining room.

Princess' profit is predicated on the people buying the package

drinking less than the cost of providing the drinks.

Once the customers start puking, their consumption goes down,

and the margin on the sale goes up!

Ideally, the customers should get sick on the first day, forcing

them to cut back for the remainder of the cruise.

Also, industry wide, there is a record of more "issues" on the shorter cruises. And, as others have mentioned, Spring Break brings an entirely new twist to the plot. My poor Parents didn't have the money (or maybe they just said that) to send me on a cruise.:eek: Must be nice to be 18 with a fake ID and daddy's credit card.:D:D

Keep in mind that Princess (and other lines) offer the package to make money. Lots of money. Most people won't use the full value but will get it for the convenience.

Hi Pam. I have probably missed it in the various threads on this subject but how do they administer it? Do you have to show a card? Wear a wrist band? If you have to sign still then there goes the convenience. I really like, on the all inclusives, not having to sign every time I want a drink. Just ask and they bring. Very convenient. Just wondering how it is supposed to work on Princess. Thanks,

Jim.

There is such a misconception that everyone who purchases the drink package only drink alcoholic beverages all day long. If you add the price if specialty coffee, bottled water, soft drinks,and juice into the equation plus I understand that it also includes gelato it is very easy to spend $50 a day on beverages. Of course the plan isn't for everyone. If you can tolerate the coffee that comes out of the pipes and the unsweetened iced tea than the plan clearly isn't for you. I would never consider purchasing bottled water in the ship because it's a rip off. With the plan I drink water in my room and pack a bottle or two to take into port. On Celebrity they offer you water when you are leaving the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just fill up from the water in the Horizon Court, and it's free.

On the crown princess in January, we had a sticker on our cruise card, but still had to sign each time we got a drink. This was the first week with the package on the crown, so maybe things have changed. The bartenders asked to see my wife's card the first few times, but after that would let me get two drinks for the both of us.

We just got off a 9 day Carribbean sampler on the Ruby yesterday. On the first four day part of the cruise we witnessed some of the most ridiculous behaviour from the unlimited alcohol packages. We saw people puking in public areas to our dinner mates who were so drunk the jumped over a table and partition in the dining room. Now I know so many are able to manage their alcohol...but on the four day cruises it turns into an alcohol indused bender for many... Both my hubby and I are in our late 20s early 30s and consider ourselves open minded but it was a very interesting trip at times ...;)

I saw a lot of embarrassing behavior on my Celebrity cruise where the alcohol package was one of the Pick Your Perks (basically free). IMO, this is not a good idea because too many people feel they have to drink A LOT to 'make the package pay'. :rolleyes:

Most interesting. We were on the 5 day/ 4 day (9 day total) Ruby Caribbean Sampler (our last 4 day part being the same as your 1st 4 day) that started on March 1st. I guess we missed all of that excitement because other than a lot of (more than on the 5 day segment) loud college kids on Spring Break we didn't see any of the puking or really obnoxious, drunken behavior. However, I am glad we missed it and, yes, it was a great cruise. :cool:

Are these all you can drink packages available on 5day cruises also? I'm sailing on the Ruby for a 5 day cruise in April but was told by Princess that it is only available on 7 day or longer cruises...

I just fill up from the water in the Horizon Court, and it's free.

Then I have to carry around water bottle that I have to continuously clean. Much easier to grab a bottle that can be disposed of. Also on Celebrity the ships water tasted like chlorine. Glad I had the drink package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's to clean ?:confused: You fill it with water, drink it, and refill it:rolleyes: No problem with the water in HC.

Uh, I wouldn't drink out of the same container all week without washing it. I've seen reports on TV where they swab re-used water bottles and they are teeming with bacteria. Not to mention if people refill at buffet and touch their water bottle to refill point, then everyone has their germs/bacteria. That's probably what they were referring to I'm guessing.