Phones while on a cruise

cfriend

So my husband and I will be going on our first cruise in April and we have to keep in contact with our toddler that will be staying home with her aunt. I know I know we should leave the phones at home but I will b checking on her daily.... Sooo.... How would I go about doing that? Is their phones in the cabins we could use?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A little reading on the boards would reveal that using the phone on board will be VERY expensive.

The other options will depend on where you are going. But international phone options and plans is probably the direction you are headed.

Which cruiseline are you on?

Carnival charges $1.99/minute for calls from your cabin.

Cellular at Sea charges $2.49/minute.

Many of the cell companies have international packages that can be turned on for a bit of time.

I will be on carnival magic ... So 2.00 a min doesn't sound to bad....

That is for the phone in the cabin, not your cellphone.

Cheaper to purchase an Internet package of minutes and use email.

I will be on carnival magic ... So 2.00 a min doesn't sound to bad....

Spoken like the mommy of a toddler. :) Now wait until they are 13, you will wait until you get free wifi at a coffee shop in port to get in touch:D don't worry that stage doesn't last tooo long.:eek: just kidding its all fun and it goes by way too fast.

So my husband and I will be going on our first cruise in April and we have to keep in contact with our toddler that will be staying home with her aunt. I know I know we should leave the phones at home but I will b checking on her daily.... Sooo.... How would I go about doing that? Is their phones in the cabins we could use?

at a minimum of $7.95 a minute sure.

you can text for much less.. usually about 50 cents to send, receiving may be free or very low. you will need an international plan on your phone and ONLY do it in port, otherwise you end up using the ship's tower and THAT runs another $3 or more ON TOP OF what your provider charges

if you do not have a cell phone( or the aunt does not) then get a small internet package and email. of course that only works if aunty has a computer too.

what about getting the internet package, and using skype or google phone? Bonus to using skype is you could see your little one's face!

Skype and other voice over IP (telephone over internet) are blocked on cruise ships. It uses too much bandwidth (space) and is not allowed. If you want to skype you must do it ashore. Better to spend the money and use your cell phone or ships phone.

First: ask yourself if you REALLY need to be in DAILY voice contact. You could consider using email on sea days and phone from ports at reasonable cost. Otherwise, just pay for whatever means you feel necessary.

I surmise that with a 2 year old, you want to talk to her, since your toddler isn't going to understand texting or e-mails. I suggest talking to both your cell carrier and Carnival and find out exactly what your costs will be. I know that feeling of needing to keep in touch and whatever it costs, it's necessary and worth it. Hopefully, you'll be able to find the most cost effective way for you and your toddler. :-)

Skype and other voice over IP (telephone over internet) are blocked on cruise ships. It uses too much bandwidth (space) and is not allowed. If you want to skype you must do it ashore. Better to spend the money and use your cell phone or ships phone.

On the Allure of the Seas, with the unlimited package, Skype works satisfactorily. It is not fast, but is acceptable.

First: ask yourself if you REALLY need to be in DAILY voice contact. You could consider using email on sea days and phone from ports at reasonable cost. Otherwise, just pay for whatever means you feel necessary.

I agree. When my kids were that little and their dad had to travel, sometimes it just made things WORSE when he would call, because they could hear his voice and didn't understand why he wasn't there. It would remind them how much they missed him and I'd have to deal with the crying afterwards.

I know it's hard to leave kids behind, and you want to be sure they are okay, but daily phone calls may not really be necessary.