MDR menu on room service?

ARC52

I have seen references on the forums to the main dining room menu being available on room service if you request it from your room steward. Could anyone confirm if this is available for all staterooms or only in suite category rooms?

It would be nice to know that if there is an odd time we can't make it to the main dining room, we can still enjoy what is on offer that day.

I have seen references on the forums to the main dining room menu being available on room service if you request it from your room steward. Could anyone confirm if this is available for all staterooms or only in suite category rooms?

It would be nice to know that if there is an odd time we can't make it to the main dining room, we can still enjoy what is on offer that day.

This has been available on Celebrity for pretty close to 20 years. All cabins but only during regular dining room hours. You can't get it at 3:00A.M.

Thanks dkjretired. Can't believe I have never come across this before having already sailed with Celebrity twice. Thankfully the good old cc forums brought it to my attention :D As I said we may not take advantage of it but it's always nice to know it's there!

The menu is posted daily outside the MDR, I have never seen it on the tv. I would imagine it is also available on request from the room steward.

As I said it's handy to know :)

Is it true that the room steward delivers room service? I have seen comments about this several times and I just feel terrible if they have this extra work put on them. Haven't seen this on other lines. I think I would feel guilty ordering room service!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When we were on the Eclipse last year it wasn't our room steward who delivered the room service although it was the same staff member each time.

I too would feel guilty adding to the workload of the hardworking room stewards.:(

We did this on the 2nd formal night as we didn't feel like going to the MDR.

They do deliver all at once. In fact we order so much food that it took the steward and assistant to deliver it. Of ours they use a big plate and cover for everything so it looks like more that it is :) We looked at the menu posted outside the MDR but on a prior cruise we asked the steward to deliver us a menu.

But, a lobster dinner on the balcony was GREAT! The food was OK temperature wise. Didn't get cold but only the main dish was supposed to be warm, all other courses were cold on purpose. Salad, cold soup and desert were fine. We did give a $20 tip for this as it was above and beyond.

And yea, I do feel bad when the steward has to deliver our room service, especially breakfast. My measly $2 tip surely doesn't make up for having to go get my stuff and deliver it.

enjoy

Not sure why people report feeling bad about having the steward or assistant deliver room service. Like delivering laundry, that is part of their job. It's nice to tip extra, but don't think of it as adding to their workload excessively.

Perhaps on other lines it is handled differently ? Still, that doesn't mean that it's "extra" work, since it is already their job

Not sure why people report feeling bad about having the steward or assistant deliver room service. Like delivering laundry, that is part of their job. It's nice to tip extra, but don't think of it as adding to their workload excessively.

Perhaps on other lines it is handled differently ? Still, that doesn't mean that it's "extra" work, since it is already their job

I agree with you. I have only been on Carnival and they do not have the room steward delivering room service. I assume its kitchen staff. Because of that, I always tip. I wouldn't say that I tip alot or anything, but I would always tip a couple of dollars for room service, even if its someone that is already getting tipped by me.

Also, I agree if that is part of their assigned duties, that is their job. From my understanding, they work long hours so if that was not one of their responsibilities, I don't doubt that the cruiseline would give them something else to do.

I wouldn't order room service just for a single cup of coffee or something I could get quickly myself. I would feel bad about that, no matter who was doing it.

i'm sure i won't change your mind, but in my opinion the room stewards duties are primarily housekeeping. If he has to stop that and shlep my breakfast (or dinner)ALL the way from the rear of the ship on deck 5, to deck 11 all the way at the front of the ship, that deserves a nice tip. i'd want at least a $5 tip for that :-)

And as far as arriving hot, i've made a plate of hot food at the buffet, gone to the room

AS FAST as i could without knocking anyone down and it was just warm by the time i got there. it is what it is. Eat at the buffet or dining room and it will be HOT.

People feel bad because it really is an extra, uncompensated (unless there is a healthy tip) duty. Dinner, especially, since it comes right in the middle of their turn-down duties. Plus, Celebrity is the only line, from mass market like Celebrity and Princess to luxury where we have seen this duty performed by a steward. And yes, it definitely is "extra" work.

While I always tip for room service, I don't think any of us can know what the steward's job description includes. And since I can't imagine more than one or two staterooms ordering MDR dinner delivery per steward per night, it doesn't seem likely that anyone's turndown service would be adversely affected by room service orders. If it started to create lots of complaints from passengers in other staterooms that they weren't getting the proper turndown service, I would think that Celebrity would reevaluate their procedures.