Taking wine on board....checked or carry on

Qcruise

So the wife and I leave Thursday on the Sapphire 4 day coastal and we're taking 2 bottles of wine and a can or two of tonic and small bottle of cranberry juice for mixers.....we paid to have a small bottle of vodka in our room. My question is this....my wife wants to pack these in our checked luggage, but I think it will just delay arrival of said luggage to our room if they see and check out what it is. I say we should carry it on in our carry on backpack/bags. What is correct.....?? Thanks

So the wife and I leave Thursday on the Sapphire 4 day coastal and we're taking 2 bottles of wine and a can or two of tonic and small bottle of cranberry juice for mixers.....we paid to have a small bottle of vodka in our room. My question is this....my wife wants to pack these in our checked luggage, but I think it will just delay arrival of said luggage to our room if they see and check out what it is. I say we should carry it on in our carry on backpack/bags. What is correct.....?? Thanks

It could, it may be best to put them in your carry on and get it over with so you won't be called down to explain. JMO

They were checking everything on the Sapphire a few weeks ago.

As per the instructions on your luggage tags, and has been repeatedly reported on here...

ANY alcohol found in checked baggage is subject to confiscation and destruction--INCLUDING THE ONE BOTTLE OF WINE PERMITTED PER ADULT!

All wine or champagne being brought onboard must be registered with the Princess rep as you pass through security; that is also where you pay up front (not on your shipboard account) the corkage fee for all bottles beyond the one per adult. You can put the mixers in your checked bag, but you run the risk of being called to the naughty room to verify that the cans and bottles are still factory sealed. But the wine you MUST carry on yourself.

Edited by fishywood

Carrying on is no big deal. If you have more than one bottle per adult you can go to the check in table to take care of fees. We "openly" carried on the two allowed bottles of wine in a cloth shopping bag and were not told to stop at the table. And since we weren't breaking policy, didn't stop. Much easier than packing it into a piece of luggage. Do the same for the mixers and you will have no delays getting it.

Edited by eandj

Yes, carry it on, as per the policy.

Plus - Keep in mind, if any of the bottles (wine or even the juice) were to break in the checked baggage, you would have a big mess all over your wardrobe, AND - it might leak onto other passengers' suitcases too.

Maddle

Consider wrapping the bottles in bubble wrap, then placing them in extra large ziploc bags (available at your local stores like Walmart). Put lots of clothes around the bags. Even if the bottle broke, the bubble wrap and tightly closed ziploc would help with containing the leakage. Good luck!

Consider wrapping the bottles in bubble wrap, then placing them in extra large ziploc bags (available at your local stores like Walmart). Put lots of clothes around the bags. Even if the bottle broke, the bubble wrap and tightly closed ziploc would help with containing the leakage. Good luck!
Don't go through that hassle, just carry on! That's what we have always done.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

For our past two cruises, since the implementation of the new policy, I've packed bottles of wine, securely wrapped, in our checked luggage for the flight down. I've moved them over to my carry-on luggage before getting to the cruise terminal.

Several years ago I bought "wine diapers" they are a plastic outer with a ziplock top and have absorbent diaper like material inside. They are perfect and we have used them over and over again! Google them - I bought mine so long ago I do not remember, but great investment!

I usually buy 2 bottles of wine and a 2 litter Dr. pepper at my boarding port and carry it on...no issues. I often buy another bottle of wine in other ports and carry that back on the ship too...never had even a question asked.

Too much hassle to pack it in checked luggage and worry about breakage the entire flight. My bags get so torn up and dirty...we know they are not handled with TLC....

I think we would be overweight if we added bottles of wine to our checked bags.

There are so many places to buy wine in the home ports to bother with bringing something from home. :rolleyes: Unless it was a special bottle we wanted to open. But then...if it was "special", we wouldn't risk taking it by air.

We DID see a couple with a "flyable" hard sided 8 bottle wine suitcase that they took to the table to be checked in.