Laura, What's wrong with Cruise Critic?? Problems!

gkm

No, haven't had any problems with email.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your server....it's this site. Hopefully they are working on it.:confused:

I try to get on early and then as soon as I start having problems I leave and go to other cruise sites. I find that cuts down on my aggrevation level.;)

Many of you have noted that we should not be complaining since it's free. Actually, I agree with you. There's a difference in letting CC know and the "whine-whine" :rolleyes: sort of complaining.

My earlier post was at Laura's request ... per below:

"..Whenever the boards go "down", even for a split second, we receive a notification immediately.....but we aren't notified if things bog down. "

Interesting, since their "we died" web page says most specifically that their tech support staff IS made aware of the problem when *.php server timeouts occur. Surely most of us have seen that screen?

I think LauraS wants to know there are problems. As I posted earlier, she told me in an email that she had notified the webmaster. The fact is (and I told her this) some of the ads aren't even loading! Where there should be an ad I often see a box saying "website not responding".

I doubt the people advertising on this site would be very thrilled about that;)

So it would be my guess that CC doesn't see this as complaining so much as letting them know that the problem is widespread.

Laura, things are not improving at all. We're still losing posts, are unable to get on the boards sometimes for 1-2 hours, sometimes we can get to the home page but it won't let us go any further.

Do you know when things will improve? I think we're all frustrated and often give up and don't post for the rest of the day.

Garry

I have to agree - tried logging in shortly after 1pm today and could not get connected until almost 4pm. Please help, these boards have become my lifeline until Dec. No more waiting 1 + years to visit Celebrity again. Thanks in advance for your help.

In some respects, it's worse than ever. I've been able to the past few hours with little problem. But when I post it takes me to a blank screen. It's happened several times today and each time I forgot to save my post. It happens so fast there's not even time to do a quick "copy".

I'm sorry to say that I've seen little to no improvement over the past several days.

I've had lots of problems in the last couple of weeks, and I have Comcast (one of the fastest if not the fastest service available). It was really bad Friday (two days ago). I couldn't get some of the major board categories--Baltics, Europe, and Celebrity Connections--to open at all for hours at a time. I was preparing some tour notes for our private tour group in Russia and needed to send them some links to CC threads, so it was a pretty major inconvenience. We have had no problems with other sites or with our e-mail, and I checked the CC site at work too (yup, high speed there too) with the same results. We're up early this a.m. with a sick little one at our house, and no problems today. I hope the techs can fix the situation soon.

Thanks,

Donna

I've had lots of problems in the last couple of weeks, and I have Comcast (one of the fastest if not the fastest service available). It was really bad Friday (two days ago). I couldn't get some of the major board categories--Baltics, Europe, and Celebrity Connections--to open at all for hours at a time. I was preparing some tour notes for our private tour group in Russia and needed to send them some links to CC threads, so it was a pretty major inconvenience. We have had no problems with other sites or with our e-mail, and I checked the CC site at work too (yup, high speed there too) with the same results. We're up early this a.m. with a sick little one at our house, and no problems today. I hope the techs can fix the situation soon.

Thanks,

Donna

Hi Donna -

We also have Comcast and I am so frustrated with them (and I am a stockholder) and correspond with them regularly about the lack of service from time to time. In fact, I just had a service call for the reasons you describe. When they are good they are very, very good, BUT.....

I also wonder whether the problem is Comcast or Cruisecritic. I participate in another very large message board area operated by Netrition.com which is via the same server used here. If Comcast was operating, I could access those message boards even though I could not access these.

Hope your little one is soon recovered (human or your four legged friend ? ;)

Hope your little one is soon recovered (human or your four legged friend ? ;)

Thanks, Babette. My precious little 6-year-old niece spent the night last night and was ill during the night. She's much better today and has her energy back too.

Our technical problems are definitely Cruise Critic-related because we don't have problems on other sites, and I also have problems with the CC site at work. Hopefully this feedback will help and it will be fixed soon.

Donna

I was able to log in last night but wasn't able to access any of the threads. I only got blank pages, no error messages. I tried logging in again, but no luck.

This is the longest period I have seen the problem occur - almost 45 min.

Mostly blank screens then the ubiquitous message - a slight error has occured or some such.

I think it would be very helpful if the Webmasters would tell us What the problem is. If it is fixable and if so when we can expect a resolution.

If it is not fixable then we should all grin ane bear it especially since we don't pay for the service.

Laura, Walt, Andy, etc. We really are having a lot of problems getting into cruise critic. When we finally load, sometimes we can post one reply then can't get another one to post. I've had trouble for the last few weeks where I couldn't get in, couldn't move from thread to thread, or post. I usually give up in frustration and I'm sure others are too. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with volume of posters who are on-line at the time, because it happens early in the morning. I've looked and there aren't many people on the boards then.

I just wanted you to be aware that there are problems.

Garry

This is the longest period I have seen the problem occur - almost 45 min.

Mostly blank screens then the ubiquitous message - a slight error has occured or some such.

I think it would be very helpful if the Webmasters would tell us What the problem is. If it is fixable and if so when we can expect a resolution.

If it is not fixable then we should all grin ane bear it especially since we don't pay for the service.

Regarding the slow emails somebody mentioned above, I haven't noticed that as much as I've been noticing duplicate even triplicate emails lately. I guess better too many than none.

Having worked on internet infrastructure for many years, supporting sites for the most well known software company in the world, I can fully empathize with trying to keep these servers up and running. It's a non-stop 24 hour operation. And as Cruise Critic usage grows, the cost to keep it up and running grows. How to handle and get revenue for those costs is always a challenging problem.

Archived