Single Supplements?

POA1

I'm looking for an answer for a friend of ours regarding solo cruises on HAL. Is the fare always 2x single fare or are there times when it's less? If the latter, do you know which itineraries feature the lower rates?

Thanks!

Mostly I've paid double, but once got a repo cruise from Vancouver to San Deigo, then on to Mex Riv, at 160%. I think, but am not certain, that I may have gotten 150% on an Alaska cruise, early season, 2010??? But mostly when I'm solo I'm paying for my "invisible friend" too ....

Edited by CowPrincess

Thanks all. I was just curious. Some of the new Norwegian ships have studio cabins. They're smaller and priced lower for single travelers. I wasn't sure if HAL was doing anything competitive. Of course NCL is sailing out of Miami and HAL goes out of Fort Lauderdale, so they probably don't have to.

My experience is not the standard 200%, but it all depends on what itinerary one is looking at and can even come down to category stateroom etc.

For my 2 upcoming bookings I'm at 154% and 155% (fare+tax), the one last year was about 160% and some others I've looked at for this year and/or was booked on before my current bookings were all between 155% and 170%.

How you know? Not beforehand, you'll have to put in some energy. You wont know the solo price until pricing out. My personal pov? I don't care what percentage it is, I have a max. amount I am willing to pay per day for certain itinerary, category stateroom etc. If that fits; perfect. If not, not the itinerary for me. If that means not booking a 110% but booking a 200%, wouldn't be a deciding factor. Total price is much more important to me than theoretical percentages.

My experience is not the standard 200%, but it all depends on what itinerary one is looking at and can even come down to category stateroom etc.

For my 2 upcoming bookings I'm at 154% and 155% (fare+tax), the one last year was about 160% and some others I've looked at for this year and/or was booked on before my current bookings were all between 155% and 170%.

How you know? Not beforehand, you'll have to put in some energy. You wont know the solo price until pricing out. My personal pov? I don't care what percentage it is, I have a max. amount I am willing to pay per day for certain itinerary, category stateroom etc. If that fits; perfect. If not, not the itinerary for me. If that means not booking a 110% but booking a 200%, wouldn't be a deciding factor. Total price is much more important to me than theoretical percentages.

I think that would be fairly obvious to most but maybe I'm wrong. I don't think it hurts to ask the question just the same. Your cruises look exotic to me so like I mentioned before I would expect a lower supp. They are not Alaska or Caribbean cruises where I would expect 200 percent. I do realize total price is relevant.

Thanks all. I was just curious. Some of the new Norwegian ships have studio cabins. They're smaller and priced lower for single travelers. I wasn't sure if HAL was doing anything competitive. Of course NCL is sailing out of Miami and HAL goes out of Fort Lauderdale, so they probably don't have to.

I've looked at those studio cabins. I haven't found them to be very well priced. They seem much higher than a double occ price would be but maybe it's just the ones I looked at.

In my experience looking at HAL itineraries, it's nearly always the full (200%) supplement if looking at a veranda or higher. It can be less if your friend will consider an inside cabin, and sometimes oceanview cabins will also be less than 200%.

I've seen all the pics of the solo cabins on NCL; they are really tiny and although they are less than a regular cabin, they aren't half as much. I wouldn't book one.

It's all a numbers game anyway. You can sometimes get a good cabin, even at the full supplement, if you catch the timing right -- and it will be less than the "single" cabin... It's best not to get too hung up on the supplement and focus on the bottom line -- what is the actual cost and is it in the budget?

In the past I've paid less than 200% on insides or outsides. Never balconies or suites. The best supplements I've received have been on Caribbean cruises at non-holiday times. I found it also helped to book early.

Roz

Thanks for all the help. We have a single friend who's looking to cruise with us, and we're trying to figure out how to make it more affordable.

In the past, he's done an inside cabin on the same deck as the rest of us. That worked well because we were all together, more or less. It gets a little tougher to keep track of everyone when we're spread out all over the ship.

Thanks for all the help. We have a single friend who's looking to cruise with us, and we're trying to figure out how to make it more affordable.

He could also look into the Single Share Program.

HAL doesn't advertise this the way it used to, and it isn't the bargain it was in past years, but it was still available as of last summer. If the program is available for the cruise he is looking at, and he is willing to share with a male stranger, then it might be the difference between going and staying home. If no roomie is found (by HAL), then he gets the cabin to himself.

This was a 'Chocolate Calendar'.

Instead of eating the chocolate I save above the headboard and it is easy to count have many days on board. This show 22 days... another 30 days to go... round 1/2 world... Australia to Southampton.

The other photo... Penthouse 002. (Saga Rose) ... a little breakfast in the suite for champagne and orange juice for a few friends.

2122545801_PortsmouthMay09(71).jpg.9f504864720b3da5709e799b3a725ef3.jpg

880808010_sagarose09cc2.jpg.d6f8ab0b236075fe143d8f8eb60e6863.jpg

1060723838_sagarose0904.jpg.86a128511644ef6b3296f26561fc3db2.jpg

This was a 'Chocolate Calendar'.

Instead of eating the chocolate I save above the headboard and it is easy to count have many days on board. This show 22 days... another 30 days to go... round 1/2 world... Australia to Southampton.

The other photo... Penthouse 002. (Saga Rose) ... a little breakfast in the suite for champagne and orange juice for a few friends.

Very cool. Thanks.

I usually pay an extra 60% or a little less for an Inside or Oceanview. However, once you get to a Balcony or better it's 100% always.

776 days at sea....39 ships.....7 continents

HAL 4* ....................Princess ELITE

Thanks. The balcony doesn't matter too much since he can always hang out with us on ours. I was just trying to figure out a way to soften the financial blow. He's a very fun guy to travel with, so we're really trying to make it work for him. I guess we could have a bake sale... ;)

I cruise often, and almost always solo. I haven't been able to cruise (in an inside cabin, at that) for less than double for several years now.

I usually cruise mid-length of 10 or 11 day cruises, more often 14-20 or so days, all the way to longer cruises over 30 days. Some have been the popular Caribbean or Alaska runs, while others have been more exotic itineraries. It doesn't seem to make a difference---always double price.

:D Although with the new chocolates, I'm not sure that's such a great thing.

Actually, I thought that the "new" chocolates were very good on my recent Ryndam cruise. I certainly didn't think that they were any worse than the chocolates that they replaced! ;)

It does depend on the cruise.... and you can go to the HAL Website and figure it out while starting (and then not finishing) the booking process. On Alaska cruises I know it tends to be 200% but on much longer cruises I have generally paid about 155% as a single. Don't have any idea how they figure it. But, like another poster says, I have a limit to what I will spend and if price is over that limit .... ship (sadly) sails without me.

Susan