Formal night Every Night

I'm done with you and your personal attacks. Take a cue from Mouse - now that's an example of civil discourse.

Out.

Uh, personal attack? :confused:

Where? :confused:

Thanks ryano, I sure don't see anywhere that I attacked him personally either. :confused: Meanwhile, he says I'm the defensive one?!?! :rolleyes:

I hope the dress code is enforced at the Grande. And I hope the menu reflects the upscale atmosphere. For all things in life there is a trade off. If you want a better steak on an RC ship' date=' you go to Chops, and you pay the price of admission. If you want an upscale meal at Grande, the price of admission will be a dress code. Everybody knows the rules before you step foot on the ship, therefore, no one needs to feel entitled if one isn't willing to pay the price of admission.

If by "upscale meal" you mean better quality food then I suspect money will be involved and not just the clothes that you are wearing.

I hope the dress code is enforced at the Grande. And I hope the menu reflects the upscale atmosphere. For all things in life there is a trade off. If you want a better steak on an RC ship' date=' you go to Chops, and you pay the price of admission. If you want an upscale meal at Grande, the price of admission will be a dress code. Everybody knows the rules before you step foot on the ship, therefore, no one needs to feel entitled if one isn't willing to pay the price of admission.[/quote']
I think many people feel that the food on formal nights is of better quality than on other nights ie. losbster. I get the feeling that it's the food people are objecting to being denied if they don't wish to dress-up.

I think you're right' date=' along with a general sense of "entitlement" that some seem to have - they should be above the rules somehow. I think your comments about "price of admission" were right on. Cruzin-K actually made a similar observation a few days ago earlier in the thread:

Are you also going to be mad if you're staying in a balcony cabin, but want to eat something only available in the suite restaurant but didn't want to pay for a suite? Or be mad because you want something from Chops, but don't want to pay $30? Well, the "price" for the items in The Grande is to wear formal attire. Royal made the rules, so let's see how well they are enforced.

Don't have time to read through the entire thread, but since I was at the Quantum Dining preview event, I can give you some concrete info from the Quantum materials I got that still have that fresh from the printer smell.

Grande, is indeed, the Formal (400-seat) MDR on the Quantum class. Formal Wear is required. (Oh, Coastal Kitchen is a California chic (100-seat) MDR for Suite Guests only).

They do not have an ice skating rink. It has FloRider, Skydiving in a tube, rock climbing, bumper cars, roller rink, hoops, basketball, and a Circus School where you can learn trapeze work.

I think you're right, along with a general sense of "entitlement" that some seem to have - they should be above the rules somehow. I think your comments about "price of admission" were right on. Cruzin-K actually made a similar observation a few days ago earlier in the thread:

Great minds think alike :D

I would LOVE to dress formally every night IF we were cruising back in the days of flying with unlimited luggage and steamer trunks.

The harsh reality is that many of us are trying to stick to allowable carry-ons or, at most, one checked bag. This makes it much more difficult to pack proper formal wear. One night is doable, two, maybe. Multiple, not so much. The hubby's suit, dress shoes and a couple of dress shirts pretty much take up one large carryon, with maybe room for a few tshirts and some underwear. Forget gowns!

Personally, I think this is the real reason many people don't "do" formal. It's a pain in the buttocks.

Why should it be the Cruise Lines responsibility to compensate for Airline policies?

I believe a consistently-formal dining area (i.e. "The Grande") is a reasonable compromise. It will placate those who enjoy dressing up and save them from viewing the unwashed masses.

I also believe that the success of this endeavor does not depend on how well RCI enforces the dress requirements. Rather, society will dictate how long the segregated concept lasts, especially if "The Grande" offers food that is available no where else (for example: filet mignon, lobster, escargot, etc.). If RCI does not provide a non-formal outlet in which to receive these items, passengers will revolt and "The Grande" is doomed to failure.

History does not lie.

How so? Will there be an armed mutiny?

I don't think you could pick just one ship and run with it, as you say. People expect a consistent pattern throughout the fleet. People want to wear jeans to dinner. Why is that a problem? People don't book Royal Caribbean for a rigid, formal dress code requirement.

Would have to pick another ship besides one that runs a 3/4 day Bahamas run. If you tried to employ a strict dress code on that itinerary you'd be sailing empty ships.

So why a charter? That gives the group complete say over the clientele makeup. It's a FORMAL cruise. That means formal style activities and dress code, no shorts in any public venues past 4 PM except the pool deck. Pants, jacket, tie are required every evening for dinner and for after dinner entertainment. Ball room dancing and Sinatra until your eyes fall out. Pay more, get more, eliminate the things you don't want.

Yes, horse racing should return regardless. Why did that ever go away?

The whole idea is to give people a CHOICE other than the consistent pattern throughout the entire fleet. 1 ship out of 23 running an enforced MDR dress code isn't that much to ask for, or difficult to try.

I only picked Enchantment as a name to throw out there , because of the size of the ship. It should definitely be a 7 night itinerary.

Why did they get rid of horse races? Nobody knows for sure. My first guess would be that it doesn't make as much money as poolside bingo.

Why should it be the Cruise Lines responsibility to compensate for Airline policies?

I'm going to stick up for them. They never said or implied that the cruise line should compensate them for their airline fees.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Enforcing the dress code or formal every night? I personally wouldn't mind the enforcement part, but totally not interested in formal or dress up every night.

Enforced dress code.

2 formal nights, enforced.

Other than theme nights, no jeans, collared shirts, no tennis shoes or flip flops, enforced.

Offer a formal dress venue every night(not for me). But it might change the dynamics of dress code threads. The new threads might get into those who push the envelope of formal dress in color, design, and personal style(red shoes) etc. It dang sure would be refreshing.

I could finally take my Herb Tarlek suit out of the dry cleaners bag!:D:D

Enforced dress code.

2 formal nights, enforced.

Other than theme nights, no jeans, collared shirts, no tennis shoes or flip flops, enforced.

You'll never, ever get RCI to "enforce" a no jeans rule. My suggestion would be for people to avert their eyes momentarily should they glimpse denim...

I'm going to stick up for them. They never said or implied that the cruise line should compensate them for their airline fees.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Not compensate them, as in payment, but compensate by changing their MDR dress policies.

One of the most common reasons for not wanting to dress formally is "it takes up too much space in my suitcase / airlines charge too much for an extra bag just to bring formal clothes" Thus expecting the cruise line to compensate by not requiring formal dress on formal night.

Maybe compensate wasn't the right word to use?

Maybe compensate wasn't the right word to use?

Maybe you mean accommodate? Although my opinion differs. RCI decided to change to accommodate a wider market and thus had to look at dress policies from a practical standpoint. RCI has long said they want to be an alternative to a land resort or destination resort. Well, to do that you have to appeal to families. The new ships are floating amusement parks; it makes total sense that they SHOULD accommodate what a large portion of that market wants.

The ship even if it was one of their smallest ship would be sailing without a full load of pax. If the formal lovers want formal, there are other lines offering it now at greatly increased $$$.

But why should we have to pay high fees to not wear jeans and sneakers? My husband and I love to dress up for dinner. I wear dresses every evening on the cruises and he has at least a button down and jacket most nights. I don't think people who like to dress for dinner should pay more to enjoy the ambiance that we enjoy. That's like saying if people don't want to adhere to the dress code there are campgrounds they could vacation at and they never have to dress...lol. Sounds just as ridiculous.;)

But why should we have to pay high fees to not wear jeans and sneakers?

To just throw a ridiculous but factual and honest out there; you don't. You are choosing to bring BOTH formal and informal wear. It is the airline that has chosen to surcharge you based on weight. It wasn't so very long ago that some ships required dress such as cruise formal the entire time. Men and women would be dressed "appropriately" at all times.

So the ridiculous part of my argument is you have chosen to go over the weight limit and incur airline baggage fees on your luggage by bringing informal clothing such as jeans, sneakers, and shorts and t-shirts.

So now RCI is offering options for people; have as much formal or as little as you wish. If you want THIS menu, the bar is set at dressing in formal wear. If you don't wish to dress in formal wear, no problem, we will still accommodate you in a fee free, sit down, table service restaurant.

If your main gripe with formal wear is packing too much luggage, now you don't have to feel that you need to.

Your vacation can be modeled over what your preferences are. If your preference is to mix it up to dine in different venues that are offered, bring more clothing. But you can't say to someone else that they should have to as well because you chose to bring options for both casual and formal.

I didn't say it was. I simply stated that the airlines' policies make it less convenient to...oh, nevermind. If you don't want to "get it", you won't.

Here is a quote that caught my eye:

"The glamour of dressing to the nines is a hallmark of travelling with Cunard, and distinguishes us from the mass of cruise operators where dressing up has become a thing of the past."

This is precisely what I mean by "revolt". It is not in a militaristic sense, but that people will speak with their wallets. Mass-market cruise lines want to cater to the average consumer - if the majority of consumers do not wish to dress formally, or smell cigarette smoke, or lug life jackets on deck as part of a drill, they will adapt their practices and standards accordingly. They are in the business to make money and fill ships, and the only way to consistently do that is to give the people what they want.

Just one final note to everyone on this board: Some have labelled me as one who endorses "entitlement" to do whatever one chooses. This is patently incorrect. It may interest some to learn that I dress for formal night and abide by all ship rules, "suggestions" or otherwise. However, I also believe that one has the right to do as they choose and, further, I support that right. Society changes do to the actions of those whom some may at first term "agitators", but that's life.

Mass-market cruise lines have become an interesting microcosm of society, where some are the movers, most adjust, while others fight any change. You can put me in the second category.

I will now put away my soapbox.

Just one final note to everyone on this board: Some have labelled me as one who endorses "entitlement" to do whatever one chooses.

Yes, I'll admit, that does seem to be your stance.

This is patently incorrect.

Oh good, glad to hear that!

However, I also believe that one has the right to do as they choose and, further, I support that right.

Wait, now I'm confused. Unless you're now going to split hairs with respect to "entitlement" vs. "the right", then I think you just totally contradicted yourself there... :confused:

And the definition of "entitlement" makes it very hard to split that hair:

en·ti·tle·ment

enˈtītlmənt/

noun

noun: entitlement; plural noun: entitlements

the fact of having a right to something.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

I read it as the word entitlement being used to describe the behavior of "I paid my ticket, I will do whatever I damn well please!" where as having the right to simply means being an adult and thus being free to make your own decision. There's a distinction in how the words are used and that's how I came to this conclusion. I could be wrong in that assessment, but I feel like I understood the tone and statement made.