Formal night Every Night

I would like to see Royal pick one ship, make it a throwback to when there was an enforced dress code every night, and just see what happens.
Not likely since its totally contrary to the family/fun brand identity they've been cultivating for a long time.

First of all, I'm a FAN of formal night. We don't have many opportunities to dress up during our REAL lives and I consider it FUN to dress up for the formal dinner. It also provides nice photo opportunities on board.

That said, while I have NO ISSUE with the current 2 formal nights during a 7-night cruise, if I were to be ASKED my preference, I'd have to say that one is enough. I typically dress nicely (more often than not in a dress) for dinner in the MDR. It's a FANCY restaurant I would feel uncomfortable being dressed TOO casually for the atmosphere. But in terms of getting all dolled up and fancy - just ONE night a week would be okay with me.

Agreed 100%!

First of all, I'm a FAN of formal night. We don't have many opportunities to dress up during our REAL lives and I consider it FUN to dress up for the formal dinner. It also provides nice photo opportunities on board.

That said, while I have NO ISSUE with the current 2 formal nights during a 7-night cruise, if I were to be ASKED my preference, I'd have to say that one is enough. I typically dress nicely (more often than not in a dress) for dinner in the MDR. It's a FANCY restaurant I would feel uncomfortable being dressed TOO casually for the atmosphere. But in terms of getting all dolled up and fancy - just ONE night a week would be okay with me.

Agreed 100%!

Yes, me too. :)

But no one has tried it. So is it safe to say the demand isn't there?

I honestly don't know. I can't have been the first with the idea. For some luxury cruise lines this is the basic model. But even the smallest in the fleet (Legend, right around 70K tons and approx 1800 PAX capacity) I think would be tough for a charter to fill up.

I think what people want is the Queen Mary 2 to go around the Caribbean for a bit.

The ship even if it was one of their smallest ship would be sailing without a full load of pax. If the formal lovers want formal, there are other lines offering it now at greatly increased $$$.

Correct! That's why, after May our next 4 cruises are on the Cunard Queens. We're voting with our feet.:o

What sold the first Queen to us was a masquerade ball on a Transatlantic.

Joke time:

Question: Why do Firemen have bigger balls than Policemen?

Answer: They sell more tickets!

Edited by PORT ROYAL

I'm OK with the current arrangement of 2 formal nights on a 7-day cruise. But, if I could change anything, it would be cutting formal nights to just 1. For a 7-day cruise, all formal..not at all my idea of a vacation and I would never book it!

Agreed!

Maybe a good compromise, have one small restaurant with formal every night, and let the MDR be casual every night!:D

I strongly suspect that is where this is going. It seems like Royal is taking the best parts / ideas from other cruise lines and putting them together with some all new dining venues and concepts. I am sure there will be lots of detractors and negative reviews but I bet after a year in service it will be far more positive and well accepted by RCI faithful and do a good job bringing in from Carnival and NCL (comfort food and casual, more venues and no de facto formal nights) as well as going for possibly some HAL cruisers and / or offering a family alternative for seasoned cruisers used to luxury/formal dining. RCI has historically done a very good job when creating all new venues and areas, so this will be interesting.

I am excited for when these ships hit the market to see the first photo reviews and such. There is an invitation only dining event in NYC tomorrow that will be going over more of the Quantum dining options.

Would be the loneliest ship in the fleet

My guess would be that it would sail with less than 20% of cabins occupied

A cruise with all formal nights would not be for me and DH, I can say that. However, I am sure there would be plenty of people who would like it -- and be able to have the entertainment and other features that Royal offers. It would take a monumental MARKETING effort and that means directing $$ and personnel resources to it, and that may not be what a cruise line would want to do, to SEE if the idea would be profitable.

It reminds me of the discussions a few years back about smoke-free cruises. There are a lot of people who would love a smoke free cruise but filling a whole ship of people who want a smoke free ship, week after week, proved to be more of a problem then they predicted.

The main issue is the same as with the smoke-free cruises, and that is people cruise with other people, and those other people may smoke (or want more casual dining.) So they would rather take a cruise that allows smoking (or casual dining) with their smoking (or casual) friends and family, then have a smoke free (formal only) cruise by themselves. :)

The cruise lines are in it for the money and where the money is, they will be.

I don't mind dressing up. I sure don't get it too often in my everyday life (as I type this in my work greens at steel mill Covered with lime dust) I like seeing my family all dressed up. 2 nights is a nice balance I think.

The flip side is my DH, who has to wear a suit and tie, everyday to work -- no casual dress Friday's even....he has NO desire to wear formal attire on vacation. The one or two times a year we have personal reasons to do it, are enough for him; and we would rather not plan our vacation with formal nights.

I really don't understand why people are so reluctant to dress up for dinner, whether on formal nights or regular. I can't believe the awful outfits some people wear to dinner. Last week someone was walking around in coveralls!! It seems a lot of people just dig into their closets to pick the oldest and most drab clothing they can find, to dinner. I wonder if any of them ever goes out to dinner in a nice restaurant and dress like that, or do they dine at McD?

I really don't understand why people are so reluctant to dress up for dinner, whether on formal nights or regular. I can't believe the awful outfits some people wear to dinner. Last week someone was walking around in coveralls!! It seems a lot of people just dig into their closets to pick the oldest and most drab clothing they can find, to dinner. I wonder if any of them ever goes out to dinner in a nice restaurant and dress like that, or do they dine at McD?

You don't have to 'understand' or like why people don't want to 'dress up for dinner' -- the reality is many people don't want to.

I have seen absolutely atrocious outfits, labeled 'formal wear' worn on ships....clothes too small for the person wearing it, but they squeezed themselves into something that probably fit them nicely, 15 or 20 pounds ago.

Perhaps some people don't go out to a 'nice restaurant' (as you wonder), and that is quite up to them. It shouldn't prevent them from cruising.

I really don't understand why people are so reluctant to dress up for dinner, whether on formal nights or regular. I can't believe the awful outfits some people wear to dinner. It seems a lot of people just dig into their closets to pick the oldest and most drab clothing they can find, to dinner. I wonder if any of them ever goes out to dinner in a nice restaurant and dress like that, or do they dine at McD?

You made me smile:D

It reminded me of our cruise on the Azura. My DW and I were at guest services in a queue handing in some lost property. It was just before 1st sitting and we were dressed for the beach as our dining was last sitting. A lady in full evening dress was in front of us. She turned, looked us up and down and said in a snooty voice "the Dress Code is supposed to be formal" (meow). With that my DW replied "but where does the code state it must be Charity Shop 10 years ago".

I really don't understand why some people are so bothered by what other people wear. You are on vacation. Enjoy it how YOU would like to enjoy it. :cool:

You are on vacation. Enjoy it how YOU would like to enjoy it. :cool:

Some people only like when others do as they think they should.

But now it is confirmed that The Grande is a free of charge venue. Anyone onboard may feel free to dress in a regal and splendid fashion and enjoy that environment bereft of those who would take away from the scenery.

And yet there will be those not happy because they can not force the entire ship to operate in this manner...

Dynamic Dining on Quantum class looks great, NO formal nights!!

Except for those who choose to dine in Grande. Do you think that the formal wear requirement (?) will be waived on the first night of the cruise since guests' luggage may not have been delivered in time? I can also foresee the complaints from those who want to dine in Grande but are denied entrance because they aren't formally attired.

I rather like the idea of having one dining room that calls for formal dress in the evening. Will it be a "requirement" or a "suggestion"? One can only hope it is the former. There will certainly be enough other dining venues for those who object to the idea of dressing for dinner.:)