Formal night Every Night

Just noticed on the new deck plans for Anthem that one of the restaurants is Grande. It is described as classic dishes where formal night is every night.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/RCI_Deck_Plans/Anthem_1648_Feb-1-2015.pdf

Good chance that IF we go on Anthem, this won't be a restaurant for us.

I would like less formal nights not more.

We've been talking with friends about creating Downton Abby dinner parties, so we would love this. Hopefully they have white glove service and fine china/crystal/silver too.:)

Edited by royalcruz

Just noticed on the new deck plans for Anthem that one of the restaurants is Grande. It is described as classic dishes where formal night is every night.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/RCI_Deck_Plans/Anthem_1648_Feb-1-2015.pdf

You do realize the original thread was pulled, the link is deactivated, and the PDF pulled from the website.

Don't want to say I told you so, but.......:rolleyes:

You do realize the original thread was pulled, the link is deactivated, and the PDF pulled from the website.

Don't want to say I told you so, but.......:rolleyes:

Just got home and saw that it had been pulled. Good old RCI IT. Wonder who's in the doghouse.

Some more tidbits from the site.

Apparently there is an ice skiing rink on Anthem and that select sodas will be included in the cruise fare.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/a886fe2f#/a886fe2f/8

I would like to see Royal pick one ship, make it a throwback to when there was an enforced dress code every night, and just see what happens.

The ship even if it was one of their smallest ship would be sailing without a full load of pax. If the formal lovers want formal, there are other lines offering it now at greatly increased $$$.

Oops. They really are having a bad day.

Any ideas on the selected sodas?

Selected soft drinks - I would guess they mean the lemonade they have for free in the Windjammer.

All you can eat Ice Cream - I would say it the frozen yoghurt.

There are a few other mistakes in there...Boxing Ring - that is Freedom Class.

Comedy Shows - Oasis Class

In line skating - some of the Voyager class.

They took on a new marketing team for Anthem..guess they didn't do their homework properly on what they were marketing. :(

The ship even if it was one of their smallest ship would be sailing without a full load of pax. If the formal lovers want formal, there are other lines offering it now at greatly increased $$$.

You don't have any substantial data to support that claim.

Oops. They really are having a bad day.

Any ideas on the selected sodas?

I heard that there would not be an ice rink - agree that there are many inaccuracies there that cross over features from several ships.

I just had to laugh after saying that you would take the heat on publishing that link - only to see it vanished into the black hole! You could say they are having a bad day - but probably all will be back published later this week after Wednesday's big Quantum reveal in NY.

I understand that the PDF was saved by a few......

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I heard that there would not be an ice rink - agree that there are many inaccuracies there that cross over features from several ships.

I just had to laugh after saying that you would take the heat on publishing that link - only to see it vanished into the black hole! You could say they are having a bad day - but probably all will be back published later this week after Wednesday's big Quantum reveal in NY.

I understand that the PDF was saved by a few......

How long did it take them to pull the link?

How long did it take them to pull the link?

Don't have an exact time but I think it was gone by about 6:00 PM - didn't last long! First found out by checking another thread referring to dining on Anthem and someone there mentioned the original post being gone. One or two others from that thread were on the new one as well. I don't even see it as a "moved" thread - just vanished.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Here's my wild guesses. I suspect that there are 4 dining rooms; one always formal. There will be a form of rotational dining amongst the first three dining rooms with an optional evening in the formal dining room.

Those who wish to may elect to dine formally in that room every evening for a nominal upcharge fee; after all if RCI is going to call the room formal and think they will placate cruisers who have been around for over 10 years; and many of those that vividly remember the 70's, 80's, and 90's, they will have to step it up big time from where they are now and do things like white glove service, wrapped lemons, sorbet between courses to clear the taste; like they used to do. If someone wants to dine all 7 days in the formal dining room, perhaps there is a charge of $100. Maybe they give everyone one free but optional night in the formal dining and charge say $15 per person for each other time they want to dine there; in between the a la carte specialty dining and the full bore specialty dining.

I think Chic will be where there is more modern food, perhaps more unique vegetable and protein selections; slightly healthier in that it is not banquet style wedding food covered in creams and sauces and butter (those will be in the formal dining room)

American Icon Grill...please, I'm not trying to offend anyone with my following statement, just telling it like I see it, since they market it as American comfort food I'd expect burgers, steaks, mac and cheese, onion rings, lots of middle American food. This is the room that is going to wean newbies into cruising or placate Carnival cruisers. I have never had a bad meal on Royal and I think sometimes the food gets bad reviews because there are things just plain outside someones comfort zone and they equate "I don't like this" with "the food sucks compared to Carnival". I'm not saying the food is low quality or anything on carnival like that, it's just "safe" a good amount of it. Count on corn on the cob, ribs, pulled pork and other staples here too.

And then you have Silk; Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian. Indian is always a big hit in the Windjammer; people often make and receive special requests in the MDR for special curries or dishes, almost always universally excellent prepared by the many Indian chefs and kitchen staff on board. Even the LEAST adventurous person may find something here that feels a bit familiar, and those that love aromatics, spice, and like to eat meat (anyone ever go to Korean BBQ? No? You are missing out). Also great for those that love vegetable dishes.

How I envision it works is a set menu for each dining room. Instead of 15 different possible menus to choose from now Royal has 4. This has to be a major cost saver (after tweaking for proper ordering I guess). Eliminating many permutations. Simplifying things.

On a 7 day cruise by default you'd get Chic, American Grill, Silk, Insert Formal dining (can option out back into any one of the other three MDR's), repeat again. One set of PAX starts at Chic, one at American Grill, etc., and everyone rotates all week. Some PAX may have formal dining night 2, some night 6; depends on the "schedule" you are one.

I do believe that RCI can monetize giving out more than one formal night. And for those that strongly want to cruise that way the majority of the time, I say that it is great that RCI now offers you the option to do so. Those that do not mind up charges for things they use and prefer a lower base cruise fare to reflect options they may not use should appreciate this as well. After all, if kids must now pay $10 for their character dining in the morning adults should have to pay $15 for their character dining in the evening. :D Sorry. That was mean. But I had to. This stuff writes itself sometimes.

Edited by LMaxwell

I would like to see Royal pick one ship, make it a throwback to when there was an enforced dress code every night, and just see what happens.

Would be the loneliest ship in the fleet

My guess would be that it would sail with less than 20% of cabins occupied

Would be the loneliest ship in the fleet

My guess would be that it would sail with less than 20% of cabins occupied

It would be interesting to see if a group out there were willing to do a whole ship charter; throwback style. Higher cruise cost, formal evenings, introduce some of the missed services (white glove service, chocolates on pillows). Afterall they have full ship charters for music and entertainment cruises, kid free, adult, and lifestyle cruises. People are willing to pay significantly higher costs to participate in activities and events that interest them and have a say in how the ship runs that week as well.

I don't disagree with your statement, but if the demand was there someone would try it I think.

First of all, I'm a FAN of formal night. We don't have many opportunities to dress up during our REAL lives and I consider it FUN to dress up for the formal dinner. It also provides nice photo opportunities on board.

That said, while I have NO ISSUE with the current 2 formal nights during a 7-night cruise, if I were to be ASKED my preference, I'd have to say that one is enough. I typically dress nicely (more often than not in a dress) for dinner in the MDR. It's a FANCY restaurant I would feel uncomfortable being dressed TOO casually for the atmosphere. But in terms of getting all dolled up and fancy - just ONE night a week would be okay with me.