Formal night Every Night

It will be interesting to see how the formal attire suggestion/rule/requirement plays out. I can already see people on CC asking if they can wear black jeans and a sparkly top to The Grande. :rolleyes:

I hope that since Royal is advertising this venue as "formal" that they keep it as such, and enforce it! There are supposedly 17 other non-formal places to eat so there is zero excuse for people to whine that they want The Grande food but don't want to dress formal to eat there. Suck it up, buttercup and eat elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see how the formal attire suggestion/rule/requirement plays out. I can already see people on CC asking if they can wear black jeans and a sparkly top to The Grande. :rolleyes:

I hope that since Royal is advertising this venue as "formal" that they keep it as such, and enforce it! There are supposedly 17 other non-formal places to eat so there is zero excuse for people to whine that they want The Grande food but don't want to dress formal to eat there. Suck it up, buttercup and eat elsewhere.

You going to react like that when I show up in my Wahmaker tailess? Really? Not to pick Cruzin-K, as I usually like your posts, but you're being a bit prejudiced there.

Black jeans are what the Wahmaker Tailess Tux was designed for circa 1880. I hate today's formal wear as it's about as comfortable as a barrel. So I go with something from the wayback machine that's still formal but comfortable.

I guarantee I'll get in to Grande just fine in that gear and the worst look I'm going to get is the "Why didn't I think if that?" from the guy in the kilt.

Seriously folks, if someone is being neat and clean, quit with the judgments. What's formal in your part of the world might not be formal somewhere else.

We cruise to get out of our little local "box", not force fellow cruisers into it.

If they are planning to have a formal MDR then they would need to set and ENFORCE a dress code for it...

You'll get no argument from me but experience has shown how adverse they are to enforcing their own rules. There once was a time when guest who arrived in the dining room not properly attired were turned away and a time when the dining room doors were closed approximately ten to fifteen minutes after dinner began. One can only hope that they know the meaning of "enforce". There are certainly going to be more than enough alternative dining venues to satisfy just about everyone.

You going to react like that when I show up in my Wahmaker tailess? Really? Not to pick Cruzin-K, as I usually like your posts, but you're being a bit prejudiced there.

Black jeans are what the Wahmaker Tailess Tux was designed for circa 1880. I hate today's formal wear as it's about as comfortable as a barrel. So I go with something from the wayback machine that's still formal but comfortable.

I guarantee I'll get in to Grande just fine in that gear and the worst look I'm going to get is the "Why didn't I think if that?" from the guy in the kilt.

Seriously folks, if someone is being neat and clean, quit with the judgments. What's formal in your part of the world might not be formal somewhere else.

We cruise to get out of our little local "box", not force fellow cruisers into it.

OK, maybe I was a bit harsh, but I really don't want to see a restaurant that they've specifically designated as formal become just another casual venue, leaving absolutely nothing for people who really do enjoy formal nights, other than to just sail on another ship.

OK, maybe I was a bit harsh, but I really don't want to see a restaurant that they've specifically designated as formal become just another casual venue, leaving absolutely nothing for people who really do enjoy formal nights, other than to just sail on another ship.

Totally understandable! And thanks for the good reply as well.

I guess my main point is that the ship is an international venue. "Formal" has a

wide wide range of definitions around the world and even within the same countries. If we're joining that crowd, we have to shelve at least some of our "normal" expectations. :)

Oh, small favor.. Go say "Hi" to the Alamo for me. Been too many years since I made it back to chase history in my old native state.

Totally understandable! And thanks for the good reply as well.

I guess my main point is that the ship is an international venue. "Formal" has a

wide wide range of definitions around the world and even within the same countries. If we're joining that crowd, we have to shelve at least some of our "normal" expectations. :)

Oh, small favor.. Go say "Hi" to the Alamo for me. Been too many years since I made it back to chase history in my old native state.

Got it! And I'm all for seeing a gentleman in a kilt at The Grande ;)

I'll be sure to say Hi to the Alamo next time I'm downtown. I've only been there about five or six times, usually when I have visitors from out of town. :D

I say, for those people who want to go 'formal' -- Just do it, as Nike says. For all I care, the cruise line can say "Formal Optional EVERYNIGHT" and those that want to dress formally can EVERY NIGHT.

I just wonder if LESS people will do it, rather than more.....no one stops people from dressing formally, but everyone seems to want to force people who don't want formal to be dressed formal.

I say, for those people who want to go 'formal' -- Just do it, as Nike says. For all I care, the cruise line can say "Formal Optional EVERYNIGHT" and those that want to dress formally can EVERY NIGHT.

I just wonder if LESS people will do it, rather than more.....no one stops people from dressing formally, but everyone seems to want to force people who don't want formal to be dressed formal.

I never said I wanted to force people to dress formal. However, the Quantum/Anthem will have 17 dining venues that are casual or smart casual, and ONE that is formal. I can understand people who don't want to dress up complaining about not being able to go the MDR on other ships because the alternatives are the buffet, or a pay restaurant. On the Quantum they will have several more "nice" establishments where they can dine, but not have to get all gussied up, or pay extra.

Folks have been complaining about formal nights on CC for years, and many have suggested setting aside one dining room where people can dress formal. Now that they've done just this, people are still going to complain that they can't eat in the formal restaurant, unless they dress formal :confused: I don't get it.

You CCers know this will happen. Just wait 'til the new ships start sailing.

I am in complete agreement here. I like the idea of a formal restaurant. I don't particularly like dressing formally more than once on a cruise, but I like this menu and I understand the policy and what is required. For those that like formal evening they can go to this restaurant at their discretion, once, twice, or every night if they wish. Yet some people are unhappy because it's not the WHOLE SHIP participating. People that want formal night are getting what they asked for and yet don't seem satisfied.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out and whether The Grande stays packed or is empty most of the time.

I am in complete agreement here. I like the idea of a formal restaurant. I don't particularly like dressing formally more than once on a cruise, but I like this menu and I understand the policy and what is required. For those that like formal evening they can go to this restaurant at their discretion, once, twice, or every night if they wish. Yet some people are unhappy because it's not the WHOLE SHIP participating. People that want formal night are getting what they asked for and yet don't seem satisfied.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out and whether The Grande stays packed or is empty most of the time.

Just wait till we start splitting hairs over what is formal. Will a suit and tie be sufficient or must it be a tux.

Like you we will definately do this at least once for the menu and quite possibly a second time if the menu is as good as it looks.

Just wait till we start splitting hairs over what is formal. Will a suit and tie be sufficient or must it be a tux.

Like you we will definately do this at least once for the menu and quite possibly a second time if the menu is as good as it looks.

I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that it says tie required or tie and jacket, specifically will state no jeans. Will not say anything about slacks/suit/tuxedo. Women seem to be able to pull off anything from cocktail dresses to full formal gowns, although I expect lots of stretchy pants and be-dazzled blouses (which does not bother me).

Thats my hunch.

It's hard to feel superior if not enough others are trying. ;)

After reading the CC news item detailing the new dining options on the Quantum, it does not bother me at all, as I am used to NCL 'Freestyle'...

And I have no problem with "The Grande" MDR being always formal, since there are three other MDR's to choose from. What does bother me is that The Grande will be the only MDR to offer lobster, and perhaps top beef choices as well. So if I want to enjoy a lobster dinner, I will be forced to dress formally. If one of the other three MDR's would offer the same menu items as the Grande, but with no formal code, that would be a satisfactory solution.....

When I think about it, perhaps RCI is using the 'formal' dress requirement as a subtle means to control demand on The Grande...

Edited by bob brown

After reading the CC news item detailing the new dining options on the Quantum, it does not bother me at all, as I am used to NCL 'Freestyle'...

And I have no problem with "The Grande" MDR being always formal, since there are three other MDR's to choose from. What does bother me is that The Grande will be the only MDR to offer lobster, and perhaps top beef choices as well. So if I want to enjoy a lobster dinner, I will be forced to dress formally. If one of the other three MDR's would offer the same menu items as the Grande, but with no formal code, that would be a satisfactory solution.....

Why would you cut and paste what you put in another thread after your concern was addressed?

Lobster is offered in American Icon grill. That is smart casual. You can dine there as much as you wish. You can now have lobster EVERY night of the cruise without dressing formal even once.

And yet there will be those not happy because they can not force the entire ship to operate in this manner...

I'm sure... Just like there will also those who will howl "I paid good money for my cruise and I should be able to have dinner in the Grande in my running shorts, t-shirt & flip flops if I want to! I shouldn't be kept out if I don't want to dress up!!!"

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

I'm sure... Just like there will also those who will howl "I paid good money for my cruise and I should be able to have dinner in the Grande in my running shorts, t-shirt & flip flops if I want to! I shouldn't be kept out if I don't want to dress up!!!"

I don't doubt that either. I'm not a formal all the time type of guy. Yet I applaud RCI for providing a formal attire required restaurant and for the enjoyment and sake of those dining in The Grande I sincerely hope RCI enforces their own rules.

Why would you cut and paste what you put in another thread after your concern was addressed?

Lobster is offered in American Icon grill. That is smart casual. You can dine there as much as you wish. You can now have lobster EVERY night of the cruise without dressing formal even once.

I didn't cut and paste, but did comment on the same thing before I read your response.

Thankyou for your information, and sorry if I offended you.....

I don't doubt that either. I'm not a formal all the time type of guy. Yet I applaud RCI for providing a formal attire required restaurant and for the enjoyment and sake of those dining in The Grande I sincerely hope RCI enforces their own rules.

We are in 100% complete agreement! And with that, goodnight! :)

I didn't cut and paste, but did comment on the same thing before I read your response.

Thankyou for your information, and sorry if I offended you.....

Certainly no offense. Sometimes text comes off with an "attitude" where none is meant, and so my apologies if you were offended on your side. Get that lobstah!

I like formal nights so would like to dine in the grande several times, the only thing is when you come out of there are you going to have to go back to your cabin to change otherwise you are going to look the odd one out.

I would be surprised if they could even keep a small dining room requiring formal every night filled each evening.

No way! The Grande will be teeming with millions and millions of people who just want cruise life to go back to the way it was always meant to be! They will be lined up out the door, down the hall, up the stairs, through the lobby, around the Promenade, and back up to the pool deck each night to get in! EVERYONE (and yes, I mean every single passenger who isn't trashy) will want a piece of this action. ;)

I'm not an engineer, but I'm using hyperbolic & exaggerated speech in an effort to prove my point by using an extreme example.

Despite what I said above, this isn't likely in the slightest. I know you love to think of everyone who doesn't dress in a tux as a toothless hillbilly, aching to ruin for the higher-class citizens, but no. The more likely scenario is that the smaller and smaller segment of cruisers who wish to dress formally will have a wonderful time in their private Shangri-La of formality. They will enjoy themselves and everyone else will leave them alone to do so.

It will be most interesting to see if The Grande gets enough formal customers to stay open. I hope they do, so that those people who love dolling up have a dedicated place to eat.