Formal night Every Night

They will, count on it. And if you think about it objectively, they have every right to.

No, if you think about it objectively it would make no sense at all to have 2 different venues serving identical meals throughout the cruise. I said I agree that other venues really need to offer the key items others have mentioned - lobster, escargot etc. Given that RCI does do that, I think all they'll have "every right to do" is take their vacation dollars elsewhere if they don't like RCI's new policies with Dynamic Dining.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Objectively speaking; if RCI sets the bar of entry to The Grande at Requirement A, B, C and clearly spells it out in the advertising, and enforces it, that's what it is.

Maybe they need some of those big, take no guff Security guys to be the maitre D at The Grande?

Until they stop treating Bubba like Rockefeller and Rockefeller like Bubba, there will always be that us vs them atmosphere. If Rockefeller wants to pay a Motel 8 price the same as Bubba, and it seems some of them do, they get to eat with Bubba. Quite frankly, it's the Rockefellers that are mostly griping as Bubba could give a rip. Just wait....they will do like the airlines...1st Class and coach with a divider in between the 2.:D

Iam new here read a lot of reviews but I do have to say about the formal dinning what one persons formal is not everyone's thought on formal so you may get a lot of different people wearing different types of clothing this is just my thought . I am a jeans type person being raised in Arizona formal to me would be a nice dress which I rarely wear last cruise I was on I wore a pants suit to formal ware. I would have to buy a dress just for this which if I couldn't wear it again would be a waist.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would like to see Royal pick one ship, make it a throwback to when there was an enforced dress code every night, and just see what happens.

Enforcing the dress code or formal every night? I personally wouldn't mind the enforcement part, but totally not interested in formal or dress up every night.

The ship even if it was one of their smallest ship would be sailing without a full load of pax. If the formal lovers want formal, there are other lines offering it now at greatly increased $$$.

It very well might sail full. Many people seem to want formal all of the time. Not us though, One or two formal nights are quite enough, because of the extra clothing required.

What might be a good idea, is an onboard rental shop. Gowns and tuxes in many sizes could be rented right there, and passengers would not need to pack anything extra.

First of all, I'm a FAN of formal night. We don't have many opportunities to dress up during our REAL lives and I consider it FUN to dress up for the formal dinner. It also provides nice photo opportunities on board.

That said, while I have NO ISSUE with the current 2 formal nights during a 7-night cruise, if I were to be ASKED my preference, I'd have to say that one is enough. I typically dress nicely (more often than not in a dress) for dinner in the MDR. It's a FANCY restaurant I would feel uncomfortable being dressed TOO casually for the atmosphere. But in terms of getting all dolled up and fancy - just ONE night a week would be okay with me.

If one restaurant was formal all week, it might be full each night with people who like one formal night and they would be in other restaurants the rest of the week. All restaurants on the new ships would have to be much smaller than a MDR and there might well be enough people who enjoy one formal night to fill the restaurant each night.

I read a review of the Oasis of the Seas and one of the pictures looked down on the Royal Promenade on the first formal night for the Captain's Gala when they have free champagne, and the crowd was quite nicely dressed up, no shorts or ball caps in sight, though there might have been someone dressed this way someplace on the promenade, they would be in the minority. These nicely dressed up people might go on one night to the formal restaurant, enough to fill it every night of the week. The shorts and ball cap people would enjoy dinner else where since they would not want the formal restaurant.

I would not predict doom for the formal restaurant.

No, if you think about it objectively it would make no sense at all to have 2 different venues serving identical meals throughout the cruise. I said I agree that other venues really need to offer the key items others have mentioned - lobster, escargot etc. Given that RCI does do that, I think all they'll have "every right to do" is take their vacation dollars elsewhere if they don't like RCI's new policies with Dynamic Dining.

Wet,

Why are you always in such a hurry to take offense?

If you carefully read my post, I never once suggested having "2 different venues serving identical meals". I did, however, espouse having key items (as you put it) available at non-formal locations, especially if such items are served in complimentary venues. If, however, RCL was to have an upcharge to dine in The Grande, then I agree that they have the right to insist on formal wear.

For example, let's say 150 Central Park, or better yet, the Chef's Table (or whatever it is called) is strictly formal. Since these venues are not included in the standard cruise fare, RCL has every right to establish whatever standards they wish - no one can complain. Such is the currently the case in Diamond and Concierge lounges, and we really don't see a lot of controversy surrounding them. Most reasonable people can see this as a loyalty perk that they themselves have not yet attained, and they accept that. But to withhold items that passengers have already paid for, regardless of dress code or anything else, is simply unfair. Therefore, your suggestion to "take their business elsewhere" is fundamentally unsound.

I thought my suggestion to provide equal access to all complimentary food items was reasonable and just, but that's just me. From your reply it seems you agree. My point is that if RCL does not do this, the people will revolt, and I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Edited by CruiseTobey

Wet,

Why are you always in such a hurry to take offense?

If you carefully read my post, I never once suggested having "2 different venues serving identical meals". I did, however, espouse having key items (as you put it) available at non-formal locations, especially if such items are served in complimentary venues. If, however, RCL was to have an upcharge to dine in The Grande, then I agree that they have the right to insist on formal wear.

For example, let's say 150 Central Park, or better yet, the Chef's Table (or whatever it is called) is strictly formal. Since these venues are not included in the standard cruise fare, RCL has every right to establish whatever standards they wish - no one can complain. Such is the currently the case in Diamond and Concierge lounges, and we really don't see a lot of controversy surrounding them. Most reasonable people can see this as a loyalty perk that they themselves have not yet attained, and they accept that. But to withhold items that passengers have already paid for, regardless of dress code or anything else, is simply unfair.

I thought my suggestion to provide equal access to all complimentary food items was reasonable and just, but that's just me. If you think otherwise, so be it.

Tobey, I'd argue that you're the one who's quick to take offense, not me. After all, you're the one arguing that things would be "unfair" and trying to establish rules of your own about what RCI has "every right to do" or not.

Just in case you weren't aware, RCI gets to establish the rules, not you. The simple truth of the matter is, RCI has "every right" to establish whatever rules they wish, attire just being one area. They certainly have "the right" to establish and enforce a dress code for The Grande (or any other location & venue on the ship), whether its upcharged or complimentary. You and others may see it as "unfair" somehow, but in the end that doesn't really matter. It doesn't really matter whether you think YOUR suggestion is "reasonable and just", nor whether I do. One can either accept RCI's rules and regulations, or take their vacation money somewhere else. Pretty simple, really... ;) :cool:

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Tobey, I'd argue that you're the one who's quick to take offense, not me. After all, you're the one arguing that things would be "unfair" and trying to establish rules of your own about what RCI has "every right to do" or not.

Just in case you weren't aware, RCI gets to establish the rules, not you. The simple truth of the matter is, RCI has "every right" to establish whatever rules they wish, attire just being one area. They certainly have "the right" to establish and enforce a dress code for The Grande (or any other location & venue on the ship), whether its upcharged or complimentary. You and others may see it as "unfair" somehow, but in the end that doesn't really matter. It doesn't really matter whether you think YOUR suggestion is "reasonable and just", nor whether I do. One can either accept RCI's rules and regulations, or take their vacation money somewhere else. Pretty simple, really... ;) :cool:

Again, an unbelievably defensive response, and missing the point completely. Just remember, "in the end" it is the people that will decide the fate of The Grande. Why do you think RCL has eliminated the MDR on it's new ships and replaced them with 5 separate venues, four of which are non-formal? The people have spoken, and most (not all) do not want to be forced to play dress up when on vacation. And please don't reply with "Then they should take their business elsewhere", as such an attitude is rude and elitist.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I think it's a great idea to have a venue that allows those who with to dress formally the option to do so. It follows that those who do not wish to dress formally should not invade their inner sanctum, but afford them the "luxurious" atmosphere that has been provided for them. I highly doubt, however, that RCL will offer items that are exclusive to The Grande, as that would defeat the purpose of the appeasement they are apparently trying to achieve.

Edited by CruiseTobey

Offer a formal dress venue every night(not for me). But it might change the dynamics of dress code threads. The new threads might get into those who push the envelope of formal dress in color, design, and personal style(red shoes) etc. It dang sure would be refreshing.

Again, an unbelievably defensive response, and missing the point completely. Just remember, "in the end" it is the people that will decide the fate of The Grande. Why do you think RCL has eliminated the MDR on it's new ships and replaced them with 5 separate venues, four of which are non-formal? The people have spoken, and most (not all) do not want to be forced to play dress up when on vacation. And please don't reply with "Then they should take their business elsewhere", as such an attitude is rude and elitist.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I think it's a great idea to have a venue that allows those who with to dress formally the option to do so. It follows that those who do not wish to dress formally should not invade their inner sanctum, but afford them the "luxurious" atmosphere that has been provided for them. I highly doubt, however, that RCL will offer items that are exclusive to The Grande, as that would defeat the purpose of the appeasement they are apparently trying to achieve.

Tobey, again you seem to be the defensive one, and the ONLY one predicting a "revolt" if RCI doesn't offer EVERY Grande menu item somewhere else. I find your fears/threats of some kind of "revolt" pretty humorous. If RCI enforces the formal dress code at the Grande the result is that those who try to ignore it will simply be turned away - either to change or choose another venue. If by "revolt" you mean they'll turn elsewhere than RCI in the future, I can see that. Any other "revolt" appears to just be your wishful thinking.

I'm pretty sure RCI will offer the key, marquee menu items elsewhere in a sincere attempt to try to please all. But 100% of all Grande items at a second venue would fly in the face of the variety they're focused on offering with Dynamic Dining.

The ship even if it was one of their smallest ship would be sailing without a full load of pax. If the formal lovers want formal, there are other lines offering it now at greatly increased $$$.

You don't have any substantial data to support that claim.

He may not have any substantial data but I highly suspect that RCI would never even consider taking the risk to find out.

Offer a formal dress venue every night(not for me). But it might change the dynamics of dress code threads. The new threads might get into those who push the envelope of formal dress in color, design, and personal style(red shoes) etc. It dang sure would be refreshing.

You mean the people who think that they look all dapper when they really look like they are auditioning to be the next Bozo the Clown?

He may not have any substantial data but I highly suspect that RCI would never even consider taking the risk to find out.

You're probably right - they won't consider taking the risk of either extreme - all formal or all shorts/tshirts/ball caps/flip flops all the time.

Dynamic Dining seems to be a fairly well-thought out plan to hopefully appeal to and appease all.

I hope the dress code is enforced at the Grande. And I hope the menu reflects the upscale atmosphere. For all things in life there is a trade off. If you want a better steak on an RC ship, you go to Chops, and you pay the price of admission. If you want an upscale meal at Grande, the price of admission will be a dress code. Everybody knows the rules before you step foot on the ship, therefore, no one needs to feel entitled if one isn't willing to pay the price of admission.

I hope the dress code is enforced at the Grande. And I hope the menu reflects the upscale atmosphere. For all things in life there is a trade off. If you want a better steak on an RC ship' date=' you go to Chops, and you pay the price of admission. If you want an upscale meal at Grande, the price of admission will be a dress code[/b']. Everybody knows the rules before you step foot on the ship, therefore, no one needs to feel entitled if one isn't willing to pay the price of admission.

Very nicely put, and the analogy to paying "the price of admission" for chops (money) vs. The Grande (formal dress) is excellent. I clearly understand your point of view and I must admit it is a sound one.

Thanks.

Tobey, again you seem to be the defensive one, and the ONLY one predicting a "revolt" if RCI doesn't offer EVERY Grande menu item somewhere else. I find your fears/threats of some kind of "revolt" pretty humorous. If RCI enforces the formal dress code at the Grande the result is that those who try to ignore it will simply be turned away - either to change or choose another venue. If by "revolt" you mean they'll turn elsewhere than RCI in the future, I can see that. Any other "revolt" appears to just be your wishful thinking.

I'm pretty sure RCI will offer the key, marquee menu items elsewhere in a sincere attempt to try to please all. But 100% of all Grande items at a second venue would fly in the face of the variety they're focused on offering with Dynamic Dining.

I'm done with you and your personal attacks. Take a cue from Mouse - now that's an example of civil discourse.

Out.