Traditional Dining Gone - Very Disappointed

What kind of cruise dining do you prefer?  

275 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of cruise dining do you prefer?

• I enjoy "Traditional" dining - set time, same waitstaff
    • I enjoy "My Time" dining - likely different waitstaff, I pick the time

We are booked on Quantum in April of 15. By then I hope they have the kinks worked out. We like traditional dining and have stayed away from NCL because of their freestyle cruising. However we will not cancel and try this with an open mind. One thing that concerns me is scheduling our dining time around show times and visa versa. We do not want to miss shows because of our choice of dining or maybe our forced time to dine because all other times are full. This means extra planning on my part to make sure I can figure out when show times are before we cruise so I can fit eating in. With traditional dining we know the shows are always opposite our dining and never miss a major show. I am not crazy about more planning and spreadsheeting for a vacation that is supposed to decrease my stress. The thought of planning for 12 nights makes me nutty already.

I thought my opinion meant something, but since you consider it to be "bickering" for those that disagree with you perhaps no polite explanation will do. Your version of more choices means one less choice for me.

In your words "Its the way it should be...", it seems to me no other opinion matters in the slightest to you.

I apologize, but I don't know what to say. I just never thought anyone would dislike having all the choice in their hands. I guess Quantum may not be for you? I hope you end up loving the new way of dining. Again I apologize if I was dismissive.

I would not have booked had I known about this. One of my favorite parts of cruising is the dinner experience getting to know fellow cruisers. However the restaurants and menus look interesting and I will make the best of it.

In the Google Hangout, Adam made it pretty clear that although there are no short term plans for it, the long term vision is to have all ships using dynamic dining.
I watched the You Tube Video and did not get that all ships would be switched to Dynamic Dining in the long term. Maybe I should watch it again. I got more of a feeling of his enthusiasm for the new concept.

I would suggest that those that love traditional like we do, put their preference in their comment cards.

If we cruise as a couple, it will be hard to meet people in Dynamic Dining. It would work if we went with another couple or couples and had linked reservations.

Very well said...my feelings exactly...too much advance planning needed for my stress free vacation!
The times we have done My Time, it was more stressful to get the time we wanted with the same waiter and table. Traditional gives you that without the stress.

Where did you find the information about the standard items available in every restaurant? I can't find it anywhere. Do you have a link to his statement?
Adam talked about it during the Google Hangout -- was important to me as DH is a very picky eater who loves the pasta on the "Always Available" menu. Here is a YouTube Link to Adam's Google Hangout. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDQOLrbxuBM

The biggest upside to Dynamic Dining?

NO MORE SINGING WAIT STAFF!! ;)

If for some absurd reason I get a hankering for O Sole Mio, I'll log on to YouTube.

Agree -- although the 2 times that we did My Time, we did not catch the "show"

I apologize, but I don't know what to say. I just never thought anyone would dislike having all the choice in their hands. I guess Quantum may not be for you? I hope you end up loving the new way of dining. Again I apologize if I was dismissive.

I really am trying to keep an open mind, but there are reasons that we have never used even MTD. We signed up for Quantum just two weeks ago, and found out the next day DD was the new normal.

Bayonne is the only year-round RCI port available to us that does not require an airline ticket. So we will have to try it at least once. Now is as good a time as any to try it, so I doubt we will cancel. Strange, one of the other reasons we choose this particular cruise was the 8 points needed to make us D+. At my age, I've got to much 'invested' in RCI to start over, but once we make D+ I may sample some Celebrity ships.

Enjoy your future cruises.

I really am trying to keep an open mind, but there are reasons that we have never used even MTD. We signed up for Quantum just two weeks ago, and found out the next day DD was the new normal.

Bayonne is the only year-round RCI port available to us that does not require an airline ticket. So we will have to try it at least once. Now is as good a time as any to try it, so I doubt we will cancel. Strange, one of the other reasons we choose this particular cruise was the 8 points needed to make us D+. At my age, I've got to much 'invested' in RCI to start over, but once we make D+ I may sample some Celebrity ships.

Enjoy your future cruises.

I hope everything works out for you. Just for the record I bet you end up loving Quantum. Awesome that you're going D+, that is a great feat. We also only go to Bayonne because its a 30 minute ride to the cruise, that can't be beaten.

I apologize, but I don't know what to say. I just never thought anyone would dislike having all the choice in their hands.

I really wish you would stop saying things like "all the choice".

Every cruise in the past I have chosen to dine with the same group of folks, initially randomly assigned strangers, at the same time each day with the same wait staff.

My choice is no longer available. This is not "all the choice", this is less choice than before.

Every cruise in the past I have chosen to dine with the same group of folks, initially randomly assigned strangers, at the same time each day with the same wait staff.

My choice is no longer available. This is not "all the choice", this is less choice than before.

This has been our preference also even when doing My Time dining. Hope Dynamic Dining does not spread through the fleet or if some of the restaurants are introduced to the rest of the fleet that Traditional is still available. . Edited by SherriZ366

Oh yeah that sounds like a lot of choice. You do have the choice now. When, where, dress code, time, and pay or free. It amazes me that someone changes what is normally done for the better to give more choice and people have a conniption fit. Not saying anything bad about anyone, just saying it amazes me.

Personally, I like having the set dining times, and the MDR. It is easier for my DH and I to agree on food, and I knew I always had a veggie choice. We used the dining time as a way to "anchor" our day, and it was easy to plan what we wanted to do. I liked knowing that I could always get a pasta, or salmon if there wasn't an entree that appealed. I feel like now I have to know what foods I'm going to be into eating months before.

I like this idea in theory, but am worried about it in practice.

Oh yeah that sounds like a lot of choice. You do have the choice now. When, where, dress code, time, and pay or free. It amazes me that someone changes what is normally done for the better to give more choice and people have a conniption fit. Not saying anything bad about anyone, just saying it amazes me.

"When, where, dress code, time, and pay or free" are options that are already available on every ship in the line right now. Along with traditional dining as well.

Quantum gives you everything you already had, except removes this last option. Again, this is less choice.

But I suspect you actually do already know this, and are just being intentionally obtuse to tweak those of us who dislike the removal of some options.

Anyway, we're done with Quantum class, and have cancelled our reservation and re-booked another ship. Even saved $1200 in the process. So, I'm unsubscribing from this topic, and the entire Quantum area.

Hopefully this silly concept doesn't spread to other ships, or we'll be forced to change lines.

"When, where, dress code, time, and pay or free" are options that are already available on every ship in the line right now. Along with traditional dining as well.

Quantum gives you everything you already had, except removes this last option. Again, this is less choice.

But I suspect you actually do already know this, and are just being intentionally obtuse to tweak those of us who dislike the removal of some options.

Anyway, we're done with Quantum class, and have cancelled our reservation and re-booked another ship. Even saved $1200 in the process. So, I'm unsubscribing from this topic, and the entire Quantum area.

Hopefully this silly concept doesn't spread to other ships, or we'll be forced to change lines.

Agree with your take on us having less choice as we love Traditional dining. Also hope that this silly concept doesn't spread to other ships.

Agree with your take on us having less choice as we love Traditional dining. Also hope that this silly concept doesn't spread to other ships.

There is nothing to prevent you from deciding to confine your dining to just one of the complimentary dining rooms and choosing a time that is the same every evening. In effect, by doing so you can pretty much recreate your favored traditional dining so you don't really have less choice and it is likely that you could have the same team of waiters each evening. If the eight or more selections available on the menu are insufficient, you could also choose to, on one or two evenings, dine in another complimentary restaurant, a specialty restaurant, or the windjammer - pretty much as you can do with traditional or my time dining. Deciding that the concept is "silly" without at least giving it a try or before letting RCI's passengers pass judgement on its value, seems a bit premature, don't you think?

Edited by negc

There is nothing to prevent you from deciding to confine your dining to just one of the complimentary dining rooms and choosing a time that is the same every evening. In effect, by doing so you can pretty much recreate your favored traditional dining so you don't really have less choice and it is likely that you could have the same team of waiters each evening. If the eight or more selections available on the menu are insufficient, you could also choose to, on one or two evenings, dine in another complimentary restaurant, a specialty restaurant, or the windjammer - pretty much as you can do with traditional or my time dining. Deciding that the concept is "silly" without at least giving it a try or before letting RCI's passengers pass judgement on its value, seems a bit premature, don't you think?
We would probably do something like what you suggest and choose Coastal Kitchen if we sailed with friends who choose from the everyday menu and a vegetable plate with a baked potato. We might try a one or two other complementary or pay restaurant. We'd be more interested in booking QU or AN if we sailed with friends. Right now we are pretty happy with the choices at Port Canaveral -- FR, EN and at the end of 2014/early 2015 EX. All 3 have traditional dining. Edited by SherriZ366

Wow some people you just can't get through to. What choice did I have on Explorer. It was eat in the dining room at designated time, a certain dress code, a fixed menu or eat in the buffet. Now I have a 18 places to choose from. What is not getting through here. By the way what a way to keep an open mind. Cancelled and you're done with a ship that isn't even finished being built yet.

Wow some people you just can't get through to. What choice did I have on Explorer. It was eat in the dining room at designated time, a certain dress code, a fixed menu or eat in the buffet. Now I have a 18 places to choose from. What is not getting through here. By the way what a way to keep an open mind. Cancelled and you're done with a ship that isn't even finished being built yet.

Don't waste your typing.

The poor horse is on it's back still getting beat on. This is how most of the "I hate Dynamic Dining" posts go...

"We book suites. I'm D+ and have been on 50 RCCL cruises. What a bad move for royal, this is less choice. I REALLY enjoyed personally connecting with my wait staff. How will I ever meet people now? I think this concept with crash and burn. The ship hasn't sailed yet, but there is zero possibility of this succeeding. NCL 2.0, NO THANK YOU. I encourage everyone unhappy to email Adam Goldstein at his personal email to tell him just how awful this new Dining is. :mad:"

Did I forget anything? I probably should have added more exclamation marks and smilies.

Quantum and Anthem are just the start of Dynamic Dining if it's successful. If it works on Quantum Class, you'll see it on Oasis 3 where they have alot more space.

The times we have done My Time, it was more stressful to get the time we wanted with the same waiter and table. Traditional gives you that without the stress.

Never had that problem was able to get the time we wanted and the wait team guess we were lucky but it has worked for us on all the cruises we have taken with MTD

Don't waste your typing.

The poor horse is on it's back still getting beat on. This is how most of the "I hate Dynamic Dining" posts go...

"We book suites. I'm D+ and have been on 50 RCCL cruises. What a bad move for royal, this is less choice. I REALLY enjoyed personally connecting with my wait staff. How will I ever meet people now? I think this concept with crash and burn. The ship hasn't sailed yet, but there is zero possibility of this succeeding. NCL 2.0, NO THANK YOU. I encourage everyone unhappy to email Adam Goldstein at his personal email to tell him just how awful this new Dining is. :mad:"

Did I forget anything? I probably should have added more exclamation marks and smilies.

Quantum and Anthem are just the start of Dynamic Dining if it's successful. If it works on Quantum Class, you'll see it on Oasis 3 where they have alot more space.

Yeah its just futile trying to convince people change is sometimes good. I'm gonna stop, I'm gonna enjoy the ship.

Never had that problem was able to get the time we wanted and the wait team guess we were lucky but it has worked for us on all the cruises we have taken with MTD
Getting the time (7 PM) we wanted was easier when it was a party of 4 but we still had to put a lot of effort into it -- and the other couple was Pinnacle. When we had 7 people, it was a two week effort with the Concierge working it very hard. We got 7:30 PM, with a great table. I think from 7:30 or 8 PM onward, people have less problems getting time, table size and same waiter. The dining room thinned out as we proceeded through dinner. This was on FR where early seating is a hot ticket and early is at 5:30 PM.

We will be on late traditional for our upcoming FR cruise and as we are D+, we get to pick our table.

We are VERY excited with the Dynamic Dining concept.

Having made my dining reservations for our December B2B (19 nights total) and our March 12-night sailing I can honestly say that I am more excited about dining on the Quantum than on any other Royal Caribbean ship.

As far as becoming bored with eating from the same menus over and over again...we cruise over 15 times a year and still find interesting options in the MDR. The Quantum will be even better.