Promenade Deck

Jaylie

They all have- prommenade decks ( not wrap around ones ) . Those on board Millenium Class are great, one of my favorite spots to lounge and enjoy the sea without the noise of the upper decks to be precise. Solstice Class- well one can not really call what they have a propper prommenade deck since they have a very limited view to the sea, all the view is blocked by the liveboats. Every ship has its " running - jogging track " !

Just to enhance with some photos what Germancruiser posted above. The M class and S class ships have walking/running tracks on the upper deck above the pool deck (see first photo below, from the Eclipse). During prime time, however, you may find yourself negotiating around lounge chairs. (I like to do my walk very early in the morning.)

Neither class of ships has a true promenade deck -- one on which you can walk outside all the way around the ship, though on both classes of ships there's a pseudo promenade deck where you can walk pretty far on the port and starboard sides (and cut across from one to the other by going inside). On the S class ships, as Germancruiser noted, the view of the ocean on much of this deck is blocked by the life boats (see second photo below, also from the Eclipse). Truly a shame imho.

WalkingTrack_zps561143be.jpg

EclipseTA457_01.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06

This is one area where HAL shines -- we really like a real promenade deck for walking. A short track with full sun and lounge chairs just doesn't compare :(.

True. And Princess Grand Class and many of the NCL ships.

Well those photo´s tell more than a thousand words- it is a shame really on board the otherwise wonderful S- Class ships!

Not everyone agrees. I rarely have used the promenade decks on ships that had them. I find them too confining. Your view is out in only one direction, there is an ugly steel framework or stored lifeboats above you as a ceiling, and it was always underutilized - notice the lack of people in all promenade deck photos? The only people who seem to use it regularly are the smokers.

The positioning of the lifeboats on this level allows for an additional level of balcony staterooms which would otherwise be blocked by the lifeboats. And, in case of abandon ship situations, the lifeboats are more easily loaded and deployed, resulting in an improved safety issue.

The upper deck spaces on the S-class ships more than adequately make up for the loss of this underutilized space. Besides, there are areas of the promenade deck that are open. Don't let a single, carefully chosen photo imply that there are no open areas.

Edited by boogs

The upper deck spaces on the S-class ships more than adequately make up for the loss of this underutilized space. Besides, there are areas of the promenade deck that are open. Don't let a single, carefully chosen photo imply that there are no open areas.

Well, since what you call "a single, carefully chosen photo" is my photo, I should note that I didn't "imply" anything in my post. The actual TEXT that I wrote (post 3 in this thread) says: "the view of the ocean on much of this deck is blocked by the life boats." I never said there were "no open areas." I deal in express language, not implication.

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion about these decks, but not your own facts.

It seems all new builds have the same lifeboat access as the S Class. I think it is a SOLAS requirement. The new Princess ships (Royal, Regal) and I think the new NCL ships as well, have this configuration. If you look at the picture of the Eclipse, the Lifeboats hanging level to, and outside the promenade deck make boarding the lifeboats much quicker and they don't have to be lowered from the ceiling and swung out over the side like HAL ships. The Eclipse set up also allows the lifeboats to be boarded and then lowered straight down. From a safety perspective I actually like this.

Well, since what you call "a single, carefully chosen photo" is my photo, I should note that I didn't "imply" anything in my post. The actual TEXT that I wrote (post 3 in this thread) says: "the view of the ocean on much of this deck is blocked by the life boats." I never said there were "no open areas." I deal in express language, not implication.

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion about these decks, but not your own facts.

You need to be less sensitive. Many people may see that photo and assume that the entire deck is the same. I was pointing out that people may see such photos and make an incorrect assumption that the view is blocked everywhere, as post #8 seems to be saying, which happens to be the post I was relying to, not yours. The facts are as they are, and I did not change them. Your opinion of which facts I was pointing out is just that - your opinion. :D

Edited by boogs

Thank-you for the pictures. I'm a fan of the promenade deck so I'll likely stay away from the S-class. On the Summit, although it isn't wrap around the view was good with the lifeboats above and an open railing. There are a few chairs too although not as comfy as on some of our other cruises.

Thank-you for the pictures. I'm a fan of the promenade deck so I'll likely stay away from the S-class. On the Summit, although it isn't wrap around the view was good with the lifeboats above and an open railing. There are a few chairs too although not as comfy as on some of our other cruises.

Hi Monica,:) I have sailed both, M and S, several times...and Celebrity

doesn't have a Promenade Deck that wraps all the way around on

any of their ships. I like both classes of ships...whichever ship I

happen to be on at the time;)

You need to be less sensitive. Many people may see that photo and assume that the entire deck is the same. I was pointing out that people may see such photos and make an incorrect assumption that the view is blocked everywhere, as post #8 seems to be saying, which happens to be the post I was relying to, not yours. The facts are as they are, and I did not change them. Your opinion of which facts I was pointing out is just that - your opinion. :D

I might suggest that you need to be more sensitive with regards to other people photographs.

I'm a fan of promenade decks too as I said above, but the S-class ships are otherwise so spectacular that this is not a deal breaker for me. Having taken our first Celebrity cruise on the Eclipse and our second on the Infinity, we are now booked on our third, aboard the Silhouette. That will be me early in the morning up there on the walking track, before the folks are out in the loungers. :)

I agree. This is the promenade deck on NCL's Jewel class ships (this is actually on the Jewel herself):

JewelCruiseOct2010519_01.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Well those photo´s tell more than a thousand words- it is a shame really on board the otherwise wonderful S- Class ships!

The pic shows why the S-class have been redesigned without them. Yes, the pic says a thousand words. No one is there! Wasted space.

The pic shows why the S-class have been redesigned without them. Yes, the pic says a thousand words. No one is there! Wasted space.

First of all, that photo is of an NCL ship. And, as you can see from the light and shadows, I took it very late in the day. I can tell you that on these NCL ships, this deck is well used. The very first time I stepped out onto one, I was nearly trampled by folks out for their morning walk. I practically had to find a place to merge in.

If in fact newer ships are designed with the lifeboats where they are to facilitate loading and lowering, those are far different reasons. I understand and can accept them, but I still miss the expansive ocean view from those lower decks. For me, being at sea is one of the best things about being on a cruise. The more that new builds separate people from the water, the less desirable (to me).

First of all, that photo is of an NCL ship. And, as you can see from the light and shadows, I took it very late in the day. I can tell you that on these NCL ships, this deck is well used. The very first time I stepped out onto one, I was nearly trampled by folks out for their morning walk. I practically had to find a place to merge in.

If in fact newer ships are designed with the lifeboats where they are to facilitate loading and lowering, those are far different reasons. I understand and can accept them, but I still miss the expansive ocean view from those lower decks. For me, being at sea is one of the best things about being on a cruise. The more that new builds separate people from the water, the less desirable (to me).

I understand, we have been sailing since 1987. But most new design, as the pic in post 12 shows, it is, yes sadly, becoming part of a bygone era.

I might suggest that you need to be more sensitive with regards to other people photographs.

Really? It's amazing how easily some people are offended these days! Promenade decks are wasted space that aren't missed by the majority of us, evident by how empty these areas usually are, no matter what time of the day or night. I stand by my comment. If you don't like that, just look away! Nothing for you to read here. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Edited by boogs

It seems all new builds have the same lifeboat access as the S Class. Not all of them. I think it is a SOLAS requirement. I will appreciate it if you provide a link to this requirement. The new Princess ships (Royal, Regal) Yes, scandalous ships and I think the new NCL ships as well, have this configuration. No, NCL ships don't. If you look at the picture of the Eclipse, the Lifeboats hanging level to, and outside the promenade deck make boarding the lifeboats much quicker and they don't have to be lowered from the ceiling and swung out over the side like HAL ships. Do you know how much time this procedure takes on the Eclipse and HAL ships? The Eclipse set up also allows the lifeboats to be boarded and then lowered straight down. From a safety perspective I actually like this. Lifeboats are lowered then boarded.

Lifeboats being lowered on Celebrity S-Class ship:

29c15b6.jpg

NCL Breakaway features promenade deck above lifeboats. The promenade deck is U-shape and takes about 2/3 length of the ship.

This is a tremendous improvement over the previous design (NCL Epic) that caused an avalanche of criticism.

NCL just demonstrated: if you want to build a promenade deck you will build it.

Norwegian Breakaway

2ufzoyr.jpg

kbc08l.jpg