Royal Caribbean...the "new" NCL

tx121

I look forward to trying the dynamic dining options, although I do like traditional dining and getting to know your wait staff a bit during the cruise. It seems to me that this format only lends itself to one thing, the end of complimentary dining.

[quote name='PSCruiser']Glad to see I'm not the only one.
As I get a better idea of Quantum, I'm starting to think its going to be a class with too many gimmicks and straying too far from the "active but traditional" cruising concept that has built its loyal customer base. If I wanted NCL, I'd cruise NCL.[/quote]

We agree100%.I see this ship as the amusement park of the seas.If if i wanted to go to an amusement park i would.Bumper cars really no thanks.:p

Can someone expalin the sphere "north star" to me. How is that a selling point. I think that is the stupidest thing I have seen them put on a ship.

As far as the dining amongst other things. They are getting more like the airlines, just dumb down and charge more. Are they really going to charge for sorrentos?? Really, I think the pizza is good, but not good enough to pay for. I also see once they started converting the sips and going more with the dreamworks, and barbie BS, it was going to go downhill.

Do I see this new dining going to other ships, if it works well, of course it will be spread to most of the ships, the voyager class and above.

[quote name='Tommyg74']Can someone expalin the sphere "north star" to me. How is that a selling point. I think that is the stupidest thing I have seen them put on a ship.

As far as the dining amongst other things. They are getting more like the airlines, just dumb down and charge more. Are they really going to charge for sorrentos?? Really, I think the pizza is good, but not good enough to pay for. I also see once they started converting the sips and going more with the dreamworks, and barbie BS, it was going to go downhill.

Do I see this new dining going to other ships, if it works well, of course it will be spread to most of the ships, the voyager class and above.[/quote]

Where'd you get the idea they are charging for Sorrento's? Your premise fails on that faulty assumption.

I also see once they started converting the sips and going more with the dreamworks, and barbie BS, it was going to go downhill...

I believe that RCI is trying to give families with kids more options with the Barbie and Dreamworks stuff. I didn't see that it was intrusive on other cruisers when we were on the Allure. It's all in how a new program is implemented. I'm sure RCI wants to appeal to as many kinds of cruisers as they can to keep the bottom line in line.

btw, I loved the variety of food venues on Allure. And they did get us to try several specialty restaurants which we had shied away from before. I'm sure that's what RCI wanted but I'm glad we did. Chops, Giovanni's and the Rita's Fiesta night were great dining experiences. These different food and beverage options were much appreciated. However, we thought the Brazilian meatmarket grill place was too much for us. To each their own.

I applaud RCI trying new things. I might have had to skipped over to NCL if they hadn't. We are getting so close to Diamond that this would have been a shame.

As for the North Star? I'm not sure if it's supposed to be the cruise equivalent to a ferries wheel or maybe a continuation of the cantilevered hot tubs? I wonder if you stand up the whole time you're on the Star. I could see them making it into a lounge like the Rising Tide bar on Oasis class. Lots of folks are upset that the Viking Crown Lounge is disappearing.

Having cruised both lines I would take RCI any day over NCL. Was not impressed with NCL. By far the worst MDR and lido dining of any cruise lines that I have experienced. Service was spotty.

Ships were nothing special. (Star and Dawn). I have no desire to try a Breakaway class. Those tiny narrow balconies are a joke. NCL cannot compete with the Oasis class. Add to that the horrible hull art and they are just a notch above Carnival in my book.

Even NCL's newest ships seem behind the new Quantum class. Flow rider, bumper cars, Rip Cord and Northstar. None of those on NCL. One could say that RCI is going in the same direction as NCL with dining. I give them that but hopefully the quality will be better than that of NCL. My bet is RCI will do a better job. Edited by cruisingator2

[quote name='Thetrail']When people use the "mall at sea" phrase and have never been on Oasis or Allure, sad and so shortsighted.....:(....K.O..[/QUOTE]

"Mall at Sea" is actually about the 2 classes below Oasis with my use of the phrase.

I am vastly curious about Oasis, but I do not want to spend the money for a ton of features I will not use. My cruise experience is one of quiet hanging out. The smaller ships are perfect for me.

Edit: Expanding further, the post directly above this lists the features of the new class, of bumper cars, etc. While individually these things are fun, they are not cruise ship experiences to me. Fantastic for RCCL if they get new passengers. For me personally, it isn't worth the premium paid to sail on the newbuild. Especially when they take away traditional dining, which again is one thing I really like about cruises.

Like I've said before. Thank goodness we have choices. RCCL has so many differences within their own fleet to cater to most likes. If they don't we are lucky enough to have several lines to choose from. Edited by cdamion

[quote name='cruisingator2']Having cruised both lines I would take RCI any day over NCL. Was not impressed with NCL. By far the worst MDR and lido dining of any cruise lines that I have experienced. Service was spotty.

Ships were nothing special. (Star and Dawn). I have no desire to try a Breakaway class. Those tiny narrow balconies are a joke. NCL cannot compete with the Oasis class. Add to that the horrible hull art and they are just a notch above Carnival in my book.

Even NCL's newest ships seem behind the new Quantum class. Flow rider, bumper cars, Rip Cord and Northstar. None of those on NCL. One could say that RCI is going in the same direction as NCL with dining. I give them that but hopefully the quality will be better than that of NCL. My bet is RCI will do a better job.[/quote]

Exactly. Yes, RCI is implementing a dining style on Quantum Class that is [B][I][U]similar[/U][/I][/B] to NCL, but no way is RCI becoming "the new NCL." Not even close. I've been on 7 NCL cruises and RCI is so far ahead of that cruise line, no change in procedure can possibly make them equal.

[quote name='Thetrail']You book your dining options online, why in gods name would you think you would have a beeper?????? LOL sorry your easily worked up aren't you....:D[/QUOTE]

No, not easily worked up. I actually was handed a beeper on the Nor Gem about four years ago for a dining venue that was only half full. Forty five minutes later I was beeped and was accommodated with a seat in a HALF full room. If I did have a short fuse I would probably be getting out of the brig just about now.:)

[quote name='senior lady']my problem with this concept is that they want you to pre-reserve the places you want to eat at before you go on the cruise. How do I know what I feel like eating before I go???
When I was on the Allure last November, it drove me crazy to not be able to go and do what I wanted on the "spur" of the moment.
I like the computer boards telling you what places are full but it just didn't feel right[/QUOTE]

Agree. I do NOT want to reserve my dining times in advance for every night.
I do like the "freestyle" on NCL. I have never reserved in advance with them and have never has an issue.

Celebrity is sort of the same with their "Select" dining. They ask that you make reservations at the beginning or even prior to your cruise for each night of the sailing. What the heck??? I chose "Select" so I didn't have to stick to a schedule.

I really don't think this is for the benefit of the passenger.... they just market it like it is.

I watched the video and I am confused by all the people here who are claiming now that all dining venues cost extra. I am a little old but I just didn't catch that one at all.

As far as RCI beoming a mall, circus, kiddies playground, whatever: all I can say to that is 'I cruise to have fun'. If others just want to sit in a deck chair with a blanket over their lap for seven days I am sure there are some cruiselines that will accomodate them.

i

[quote name='cello56']I want to know what these new restaurants are going to cost. They list CHOPS - a known quantity - as a two $$ choice. Chops is currently $35 per person. So how much are the more expensive ones going to be? I fear that cruising just got potentially a whole lot more expensive.

I am also thinking ahead to when we cruise with our friends. They are not ones to pay for specialty dining (and we rarely do), so the main dining room is our choice each night. Once there, there was a variety of types of food so that everyone could choose what they felt like. Now we are going to have to decide which one particular style everyone will have to eat that night. We do this negotiating enough at home, I don't need it on a cruise.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. This plan is to make more money of course. They are not a not-for-profit organization. But, If I am paying $3200 for a week vacation for 3 of us I better get some food for that price!!! And I don't mean the buffet.

[quote name='SUSIEK']I agree 100%. This plan is to make more money of course. They are not a not-for-profit organization. [B]But, If I am paying $3200 for a week vacation for 3 of us I better get some food for that price!!! And I don't mean the buffet[/B].[/quote]

Relax, there are plenty of included options for dining.

Thanks to all the changes Royal Caribbean is making, I've finally decided to sail on the Norwegian Gem. I still have two more cruises booked on Royal Caribbean, but Norwegian seems like they want solo cruisers more than Royal Caribbean.

On the surface, Royal seemed to want to attract more singles by adding studio balcony and studio interior staterooms along with giving extra points to people sailing solo in another stateroom.
A closer look, the studio interior staterooms are designed to be part of a 3 bedroom suite. They are geared more toward someone traveling with a couple or two, but would like their own stateroom. With the double (or triple for JS and higher) points comes double the price for solos. The reasoning is because Norwegian does it.

Now with Dynamic Dining and eliminating the MDR, it shows Royal is only interested in people traveling with other people (family, friends, etc.) and not interested in the people traveling all by themselves on the ship or people interested in meeting other people in general. At least not at dinner, anyway.

The slightly lower price for solos and traditional MDR are two of the main reasons I've kept coming back to Royal instead of trying Norwegian. While I might meet people from participating in activities on the ship (or shore excursions), the only guaranteed way every cruise to meet people and not feel alone was in the Main Dining Room. By having the same tablemates and waiters, I had someone who I looked forward to asking how their day was and to have them ask me about mine. We get to ask each other questions and learn more about where they're from more in depth than the one day meeting.

For the waitstaff, the cruise ship is their home. We are guests in their home, and they like to entertain us as their company. A dining room is found in many homes, and they treat it as such instead of being just a restaurant. By replacing the MDR with 5 specialty restaurants, well, the waitstaff become just restaurant workers that you would find at many land based restaurants. And instead of walking into someone's home at a set time, you now have to make reservations. I dine alone on the land based trips, I don't want to do that on the ship too.

Royal's "single events" are always unhosted and a joke. On Norwegian's ships with studio staterooms, I hear they offer a staff member to help organize events for solos including a way for solos to dine together at dinner.

Maybe someday I won't have to sail alone.
Is Royal Caribbean becoming the new Norwegian? I doubt it, but I'll find out soon. Edited by TM38Rob

2 b honest I don't really care about the new direction as long as service is good as usual. In fact, sometimes I get a little boring of having the same waiter for a week and I'm sure he feels the same lol
I don't really go to a cruise to meet new people. I have the clubs school friends of friends to do that. I always had and will have my table of 2 unless I'm with my family
That's doesn't mean that I'm rude in the elevators or in the hallway but I like the new direction

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='Thetrail']Order your restaurant choices online, very simple! If your at a land based restaurant you make a reservation or what????....You might be holding your breath on not get a seat. Looking forward to something new and exciting on Quantum next april....:)...K.O.[/QUOTE]

I really don't feel that a comparison to a land based restaurant is fair. I haven't already paid a large amount of money to that land based restaurant that is supposed to include an excellent dining experience. You are on vacation.... not Friday night at your local restaurant.

[quote name='SaintL']You must be joking; this is the natural direction for not only royal but all cruise lines. [/QUOTE]

NCL invented 'freestyle some [B]two decades [/B]ago.

RCL were very slow on the uptake if it's 'the future' of cruising.

It's very ironic how many RCL fans would not touch NCL/Freestyle with a barge pole in the past. Edited by London-Calling

[quote name='cruisingator2']Even NCL's newest ships seem behind the new Quantum class. Flow rider, bumper cars, Rip Cord and Northstar. None of those on NCL.[/QUOTE]

Behind? Those gimmicks are fine for the kids, but what about us adults?

Breakaway and Getaway have the lovely 'Waterfront' feature, which I guess will be more use to most of us than Rip-Cord! In fact Quantum is looking like a pretty 'inward' focussed ship at the moment.

If you want gimmicks NCL's new ship have the Ice Bar and the Plank. The Spiegel Tent (Circus show) and Illusionarium (Magic show) are pretty cool.

The Waterfront: [url]http://youtu.be/_kRN2i9mS2M[/url]

• 3 years later...

I think a responder is wrong, claimed RCL seats people of like age at tables in the MDR. Just off the Oasis. It was our 25th anniversary celebration cruise. We were seated with three other couples. One celebrating their honeymoon, one, their first anniversay and one couple getting married next year. All were very nice but all were at least 30 years younger than DW and I. Lots in common (not). Bring on anytime dining, RCL. Can't wait!!!

I think a responder is wrong, claimed RCL seats people of like age at tables in the MDR. Just off the Oasis. It was our 25th anniversary celebration cruise. We were seated with three other couples. One celebrating their honeymoon, one, their first anniversay and one couple getting married next year. All were very nice but all were at least 30 years younger than DW and I. Lots in common (not). Bring on anytime dining, RCL. Can't wait!!!

Are you aware that you're responding to a 3 year old thread?

We could care less we don't care for the main dining room, we always go to some other venue, yes we do like meeting people just don't care for eating at a table with people we don't know!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've got 250 cruise nights with NCL and can tell you RCL is far and away better. First the larger ships have more options for entertainment (bigger budget) and the loyalty perks (I.e. Diamond Club with free drinks 3.5 hrs night) are the best in the industry. No other cruise line has the Diamond Club perk unless you can afford the $1,000 per night "Haven".