Royal Caribbean...the "new" NCL

tx121

Lobster and Rib eye (Surf and Turf) is on the American Icon menu; you can go there every night and it is smart casual. So you won't have to dress up if you want lobster...and you can eat lobster every night.

The top beef selections are still going to be at Chops, which is also smart casual. You won't be required to dress formal (which I think is RCI speak for jacket and tie, no jeans) in order to have lobster.

I wasn't aware of that...thanks for the info...

I love the concept of dynamic dining and can't wait to experience it. Also thrilled with the elimination of formal night. Was not really interested in trying the new ships but now I will. I sure home the concept in some form goes fleet-wide.

Pre-reserving exists for those that want a set plan. You can NOT pre-reserve if you wish and go by the seat of your pants. They will NOT book reservations at any particular time for the entire place; they leave room for walk ins at MTD and specialty in regards to reservations, this will be no different. Show up whenever you please (although if it is full at that time you may be waiting).

If you read the Question portion of the announcement they are very clear in that you should make reservations before you go. How else are they going to control the flow of people. Yes, you can walk up and hope that you can get in............. but don't hold your breath.

If you read the Question portion of the announcement they are very clear in that you should make reservations before you go. How else are they going to control the flow of people. Yes, you can walk up and hope that you can get in............. but don't hold your breath.

I did read it. I stand by my previous statement. RCI never fully books out all reservations; there is room for walk ins. Will it guarantee you are immediately sat? No. Just like I said in my previous statement. I have been following the releases closely and feel like I have a good grasp of what things are or are not.

Banquet style dining is more a historical relic. They simply were not able to feed thousands of people at once any other way.

Today, people are more used to quality and variety. We'll accept banquet food at weddings and conferences, but don't necessarily want banquet food for an entire week. I think moving away from the banquet model is good overall. If they have worked out the issues that required it in the past, then it's probably time to move into the future with quality and variety.

If you're really into banquet food, then maybe you can crash weddings once in a while.

I did read it. I stand by my previous statement. RCI never fully books out all reservations; there is room for walk ins. Will it guarantee you are immediately sat? No. Just like I said in my previous statement. I have been following the releases closely and feel like I have a good grasp of what things are or are not.

I was on the Allure last November and we couldn't get into any specialty restaurants. So I beg to differ with you. they had no "stand by" lists. As for the shows you could get in if you waited until the last show in the evening, usually around 11 pm.

Until you've cruised on one of these ships, it's hard to understand the whole concept.

I was on the Allure last November and we couldn't get into any specialty restaurants. So I beg to differ with you. they had no "stand by" lists. As for the shows you could get in if you waited until the last show in the evening, usually around 11 pm.

Until you've cruised on one of these ships, it's hard to understand the whole concept.

I was on the Allure in December. Made Chops Grill res the day I went; no issue with my time slot, table waiting.

Made reservations for shows...yet was able to walk in to an earlier comedy show and earlier show of Chicago once they released the seats about 5 - 10 mins before show time.

I did have some issues with MTD reservations but we had a group of 15 on those evenings.

We can discuss anything you wish, just ask me. But please don't assume that I don't know how to read or haven't been on an RCI ship lately.

I understand what your saying, but at least you still had the option of going to the dining room if you couldn't get into any of the specialty places. Now with them not having a main dining room it will make it much harder. I'm not questioning your knowledge, just will have to wait and see what the first reviews are going to be.

My whole idea of cruising is to just sit back and relax, and decide what I want to do when and where on my schedule.

I don't want to have to wait in line and hope that I can get a seat??

I don't want to have to wait in line and hope that I can get a seat??

Fair point. I agree with you there. And I will miss having the same wait staff each evening. But I am willing to see how RCI handles this concept and it has definitely fueled an interest in me whereas the theme park attractions of these ships did not. I'm keeping an open mind. Yes, I do expect issues, especially from early reviews out of a mix of high-tier/long term cruisers resistant to change and simple teething issues by staff and crew on handling new concepts. A year from now I bet it is a resounding success.

the menus look very yummy, as do the pictures of the food. I think I just like a smaller ship and cosier atmosphere...lol

I enjoyed the Allure but I did feel like I wasn't on a cruise ship.

I missed not being able to sit by a window enjoying a drink and reading my book watching the ocean go by.

It was just a little "closed in" for me. If you weren't by the pool you really couldn't enjoy the ocean............... just my opinion

the menus look very yummy, as do the pictures of the food. I think I just like a smaller ship and cosier atmosphere...lol

I enjoyed the Allure but I did feel like I wasn't on a cruise ship.

I missed not being able to sit by a window enjoying a drink and reading my book watching the ocean go by.

It was just a little "closed in" for me. If you weren't by the pool you really couldn't enjoy the ocean............... just my opinion

1000% agree with you. I went from Allure to Legend, and found a lot to like on the Legend, specifically the connection to the sea. My overall favorite has been Voyager-class ships so far. I was not interested in Q/A because I'm not a theme park guy, but honestly, the novelty of a new ship and these new dining options have me intrigued.

I await the fall/winter 2015 Anthem Fort Lauderdale itinerary and prices.

I don't want to steer this off topic; but besides the similarity in "freestyle" time and options, RCI has way more unique approach than that of NCL where the MDR's seem designed to push you to pay restaurants. RCI seems to be bringing "specialty-lite" to all as part of the cruise fare.

I agree, they've got my interest up. :)

I personally like the Radiance class. Love the glass elevators that look out on the ocean.

I won't cruise NCL because they really do push you to pay extra for everything. The cruise fares are much cheaper, but you sure pay once you get on the ship:eek:

Radiance class is the only class I have not sailed or am not booked on yet, but I strongly desire to do so. I am looking at a 9 night ABC island + KW itinerary for Dec 2015 out of Fort Lauderdale on Serenade. But I am holding off making any decision now until I see Anthem price and itinerary out of Fort Lauderdale. Happy cruising to you.

Can we call the 3rd Quantum ship "Norway of the Seas?"

I would prefer Disney's concept where wait staff and table mates switch dining rooms together. This probably has less to do with "freestyle appeal" than it does making it easier for your already uprooted and venturing selves to walk into a pay specialty restaurant ;)

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

For us, this new concept means that we will probably only cruise Royal (and Celebrity) in the future. Celebrity has some of the greatest Asian and TA itineraries we love, but for fun & relaxing Med and Caribbean cruises up to now we usually chose Royal Caribbean when on "family holiday" but went NCL when cruising as a couple, because of their FreeStyle Dining.

The Freestyle Dining was the main attraction of NCL to us, all the rest - the ships, the decor, the bars etc - we found less attractive on NCL than on RCL. With Dynamic Dining, we now have the best of two worlds: we can use a "traditional" Royal Caribbean ship for family holidays and the Quantum class ships when cruising as a couple, on gorgeously designed ships, amazing entertainment and - now - ultimate dining possibilities.

FWIW, I've never understood why people who cruise as a couple want to share their dining table with strangers; to me, dining is the ultimate private experience. To meet other people, we much prefer the bars (pool bar mainly :D) and if we do meet people there who we want to share a meal with, we used to go to a specialty restaurant. With Dynamic Dining, we'll be able to join them in any of the available restaurants.

Very much looking forward to our first Anthem cruise, it may be the first of many!

Edited by [g]cruiserke

Had to be a bit amused. Not surprised you like RC going the direction of NCL, since you've cruised them 23 times!

I've NEVER been on NCL, and I'm thrilled with the announcement. Our last cruise we ate in the MDR exactly 1 time, and that was only because we were part of a big group and felt we should be with them the first night. A couple of prior cruises we didn't eat in the MDR at all.

I believe that RCCL is being responsive to more people wanting less regimentation in their vacation. Not a day goes by, on these boards, where someone is not complaining about formal nights. Some complain they don't want to dress. Some complain about the people who don't dress.

Not to mention all the threads in which people ask about getting a table for two because they don't want to have to sit with strangers. And the threads complaining about how they don't want to have to pay extra to go somewhere other than the MDR. Or the threads complaining that they HAD to choose early or late seating because the anytime dining option was full when they booked their cruise.

Things change, and people seem less willing to follow rigid rules and schedules on vacation. I suspect this is the way of the future when it comes to dining on board, and in time you'll see the concept expanded to other ships and other cruise lines.

So I am booked on quantum in December. It was going to be my first MTD. The last couple of times I booked with royal I was seated with people who didn't speak English. I really wanted the freedom to go to dinner when I wanted to. I was hoping it would be some reservations and some just showing up. On land if you show up without a reservation they tell you a wait time and you can decide to wait or go some where else. I hope they set a centrally located desk so walkins can be told how long to wait at each restaurants and you can put put your name on the list.

I have been cruising since 72 and will miss meeting dinner companions but I am willing to try. I will let everyone knows how it works after my cruise.

I would prefer Disney's concept where wait staff and table mates switch dining rooms together. This probably has less to do with "freestyle appeal" than it does making it easier for your already uprooted and venturing selves to walk into a pay specialty restaurant ;)

I agree. I liked the idea of rotating through a set of different dining rooms like Disney has. It offers variety, but still keeps some of the traditional dining concept. People would get randomly assigned to one of the dining rooms on first night (perhaps even give them an option to set a preference) and have a fixed rotation, so people could know where they will be moving to each night. If you did not want to eat in one of these restaurants, you could plan accordingly.

I wonder how suite perks will work on Quantum? Will you be able to order from any of the free restaurants and have it delivered to your room?

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Goodbye dinosaur aka as the Main Dining Room. About time. RCI is just giving the majority what they want. Glad to see that they continue to be a forward thinking cruise line.

Last week on the Celebrity Reflection we dined five out of seven nights in specialty dining and each night they were full. I tried to change my reservation time one night with no luck. Booked up. We never stepped foot in the MDR.

Great job Adam and company.;)

I've NEVER been on NCL, and I'm thrilled with the announcement. Our last cruise we ate in the MDR exactly 1 time, and that was only because we were part of a big group and felt we should be with them the first night. A couple of prior cruises we didn't eat in the MDR at all.

Not to mention all the threads in which people ask about getting a table for two because they don't want to have to sit with strangers. And the threads complaining about how they don't want to have to pay extra to go somewhere other than the MDR. Or the threads complaining that they HAD to choose early or late seating because the anytime dining option was full when they booked their cruise.

Things change, and people seem less willing to follow rigid rules and schedules on vacation. I suspect this is the way of the future when it comes to dining on board, and in time you'll see the concept expanded to other ships and other cruise lines.

Spot on Meg. :)

I'm intrigued by the new dining options, I like the idea of moving around to different restaurants. I am interested to see how they will manage the crowds, particularly around show times, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they can make it work and have modeled it out.

Here's a thought -- will Oasis 3 and Oasis 4 move to this as well? That would be interesting.

I guess I am getting old , not even 50 yet, but I do not like this idea. Not that I am a huge fan of MDR, but let me paint this scenario:

Where I live there is an area with a lot of restaurants near a mall. Most nights, especially weekends, there is a huge wait to get in almost every place because there are so many people eating out. Some take reservations, some do not. So basically I can go on a cruise ship and have the same dining experience that I have at home. No thank you.

18 FREE dining rooms that I can walk up and get seated right away sounds great, but I am sure this is not how it is going to work. Of course we already know most of the places will be an upcharge and I am sure there will be significant wait times. I agree with others that have posted, I do not want to have to decide what I want to eat weeks or days before a cruise. I do not know what kind of mood I will be in.

Like everything else with travel, they are taking a scarce resource, making it more scarce, and then charging you to get what you used to get included 20 years ago. It almost makes travel and cruising not worth it. :(

That's my initial reaction too, RCCL is copying what NCL is doing with their FreeStyle dinning concept. Though, a year or two from now, I would not be surprise if they start putting fees on a couple of these complimentary restaurants.

After all, wasn't Johnny Rocket and the Character breakfast originally included in the cruise fare? And now, both venues requires a fee.

It would be interesting to see whether the traditionalist will choose Disney over RCCL in the future as Quantum has similar rates to Disney Fantasy. DCL probably offers an experience most similar to what RCCL offered 20 years ago.

With all due respect, I must disagree with the OP. If there was one, and only one thing I enjoyed from NCL, it was the freestyle dinning, and wished that Rcl would invent something similar.

When I take land vacations, I enjoy dinning at different restaurants daily, same with Disney cruises, they rotate you every night. I think diversity will make my cruising experience even better.

To me, it's a pleasant surprise rcl is implementing this new dynamic dinning, and can't wait to experience it.