Live from the Maasdam - March 28th Southern Caribbean

kazu

I am quite sure that we do have the new menu on HALFacts.com, but I did take a picture to be on the safe side :) If we don't have it on halfacts.com I will post it there once I return. Bear with me as I can't upload pics here with the ship's wifi. It was really good. Three choices for the main course, two choices for the appetizer and the dessert was the same but delish:D

Thx for the heads up. Can't find it there so might be a good idea to bring it home with you. Either that or I'm looking in the wrong place. There are lots of other menus there so that's great.

Looking forward to further updates.

Edited by cruz chic

Thx for the heads up. Can't find it there so might be a good idea to bring it home with you. Either that or I'm looking in the wrong place. There are lots of other menus there so that's great.

Looking forward to further updates.

Found the menu. It was under the ship information. I expected to be under the general info. Sorry about that. Looking at the menu doesn't tempt me at all so I'm glad I saw it.

Edited by cruz chic

Found the menu. It was under the ship information. I expected to be under the general info. Sorry about that. Looking at the menu doesn't tempt me at all so I'm glad I saw it.

It should have been under the general infor? I'll take a look when I get home and have a second to breathe.

Don't let the description deceive you. Everyone enjoyed theirs at our table and a couple of others (yes, I asked). It was the BEST mariner's lunch I have ever had.

Thanks, again, for taking time out of your vacation to answer my questions! It's greatly appreciated. I could find pictures of the Seaview pool looking towards the back of the ship, but not towards the front and their deck plan doesn't show a bar, just bathrooms. I told my husband he'll have his own bathroom---he'll just have to leave our room and go around the corner.

no worries. I shall take some fresh ones and bring them with me. :) It really is a very nice spot :)

Jacqui, so glad you are having a good time. I will have to remember the "hicup" thing. Just spent the last 10 minutes catching up reading your blog. Did not see it the first day - duh! Let me know what pictures you would like me to take of the Oosterdam public areas. Won't be long for me.:):D:)

i lost 20 minutes of wifi time on the ship yesterday replying to posts (including this one). When I went back to look, most weren't there. I think it was a cc issue? Wifi is working not bad on the ship (slow, but not bad).

If you have a chance and get a look at the Vista class page Gail, on the HALfacts.com site you will see what areas we are lacking in (or could be added to). Of course, we would love pics of your cabin as well.

If you would be so kind as to put in a plug for cabin pics on your roll call and/or at the meet and greet (or both :)) to send in pics, it would be hugely appreciated.

Some of the staff on board the Maasdam are aware of the new site and are quite enthusiastic :)

I'm really enjoying your blog, Jacqui. Thanks for taking all this time to keep the "landbound" informed.

I'm intrigued by tuxedos at the Mariner luncheon. I've never experienced that before. Something new?? Was formal dress requested?

Judy

The dress for the Mariner's luncheon was smart casual (no shorts of course) and yes the staff were dressed to the 'nine's'. I don't recall seeing the tuxes other than one other time but it was very nice and very impressive.

there were a number of medallions given out. I was surprised at the number of medallion holders at the ceremony. They were fewer than normal (unless people just didn't want to stand?).

What a great day we had in Grenada!!

DH and I started walking to the old dock which is so pretty and horse shoe shaped. Along the way we stopped at the local market and lo and behold we found some shoe makers. Beautiful sandals and we struck a deal for two pairs. Alas, the kazu's foot is too small so the deal was for nothing as I only found one pair. But they are beautiful so life is good.

And then we headed off for the old port - walked through the tunnel and proceeded and we were met by a gentleman who was different than the regulars offering a tour. Turned out he was a licensed guide without a tour that day so he offered us a private tour of the island and we decided to be bold and adventurous and took him up on it. My favourite thing was he offered us to see his recommendations ( he wore his license) and if we didn't like the tour we didn't have to pay him.

So off we went to see some of this island just the two of us and we had a great time.

Needless to say, I will post on him on trip advisor and of course, if anyone is interested, I am always happy to share.

He was going to drop us back at the ship but we wanted to finish off our exploration of the horseshoe shaped port. Amazingly enough, the Maasdam is small enough that she could have docked in this picturesque spot but I guess if she did then the vendors at the other port would have screamed as they pay a pretty penny to work there.

One of the vendors really impressed me - Donna - we promised we would be back once we were done. smart lady - had a tiny card and on it her store number.

DH and I are good to our word - we had a chance to compare prices (as DH likes to say) and we knew what was silly and what fair. She was very fair with us and I loaded up on some spices and then it was time to head back to the ship.

After all the Pinnacle was awaiting us tonight. We were dining early (6:00 pm which is VERY early for us). WOW What a difference. Dinner done much more promptly served and we all thought it was much improved. However, if HAL is reading this thread, PLEASE, bring back the Steak Dianne and a couple of other things. The menu is really limited but there was no question that things were much, much improved in service and temperature tonight.

We really enjoyed Grenada (I keep wanting to spell it the Spanish way - forgive me if I missed one) and all of us had a great time. Some did a private tour, some did a HAL tour and everyone was happy when they got back on board. That's the main thing.

Unfortunately I am now in 'full cruise mode' and we are going to have a hard time going back to real life and the snow which I fear will still be there.

The show was quite full tonight. The Mix was busy and the Maasdam is bopping and hopping with many people enjoying the night life (can you tell there are Canadians on board??? LOL).

to be continued....

Bonaire!!

This Caribbean cruise is meant to be relaxing but it is also fun as we had not been to Grenada nor Bonaire. Arriving in Bonaire on a Sunday I figured the best thing to do was a small Island tour so I had arranged a private tour with Achie's Tours for our group on our roll call who were interested.

The island has some interesting history and some beautiful spots. Enjoyed the salt mines, saddened to see the old slave quarters but still, it is part of their history and we enjoyed it. The water here is so clear. You can see a fish for miles down. I really admire their ecological attitude. Many years ago the island was told to take care of itself and the people listened. The only fishing permitted is angelfish (those invasive fish that have no predators here) and that is done by a special permit. Illegal to take coral. No anchors permitted to touch coral - they have to use buoys. No nets, no pollution, a very CLEAN island and they are working hard to preserve their waters and ecology. I LOVE the attitude.

A fun tour and of course we tried their local pastry (sort of like an empenada) and their Polar beer (isn't there a law that you have to try the local beer? LOL)

Afterwards we headed to a lovely little bar on the dock where I discovered they had free wifi :) So I scurried back to my room to get my ipad and back to the bar. Ran into another roll call member and the next thing I knew we were trying to research our itinerary changes for our next cruise (duhhh). Also at the bar, our concierge, a front desk clerk a couple of other passengers and a ton of our crew. Too funny. Unfortunately the wifi had to be refreshed several times so we really didn't get too far and we decided to head back to the ship.

Dinner - yumm, yumm, yummmmmmmmm!!!!!! DH said it was the BEST pasta he had ever had. I had the sweet and sour shrimp and it was delish! The shrimp & avocado tower were mine for the appetizer along with the yummy salad and others opted for the mushroom soup which was to die for. A very, very good dinner!!!

For those of you have met us - you know that DH's skin is usually the colour of cafe au lait (and more cocoa in the summer). I, on the other hand am quite fair. Too ironic - DH got burned on the nose and forehead (getting burned isn't funny but he never burns) and so far I have escaped. He wears a hat and I don't - go figure!!!

time to check emails and I will try to continue a bit later :)

Kazu - will try and capture as many pictures as possible. My challenge will be when I get home and try to post them on Halfacts.com. I loved Grenada the one time I was there. They had a joyful steel band at the dock to great us (old dock). That was back in 1989. Yikes!;)

We had the new Mariner's luncheon menu. YUMMMM!!!!!! Everyone at our table had enough of the selection that I could get feedback from everyone and we all agreed that it was very good :) And I do mean tasty. The dessert was a killer - delicious. Mine very rich and sweet (and since I am sweet enough I only had 1/2 - LOL) but everyone else finished theirs off. The sparkling wine flowed at the luncheon and no one did without.

Can you post the menu or give highlights?

Enjoying your review.

We had the new Mariner's luncheon menu. YUMMMM!!!!!! Everyone at our table had enough of the selection that I could get feedback from everyone and we all agreed that it was very good :) And I do mean tasty. The dessert was a killer - delicious. Mine very rich and sweet (and since I am sweet enough I only had 1/2 - LOL) but everyone else finished theirs off. The sparkling wine flowed at the luncheon and no one did without.

Enjoying your review.

The menu is on the website HALfacts.com.

Enjoying your review.

The menu is on halfacts but i had a heck of a time finding it. I thought it would be under general info but it was under the vista class ship section. Here is the link. Look under the all ship info section.

http://halfacts.com/vista-class/

Enjoying your review.

The menu is on halfacts but i had a heck of a time finding it. I thought it would be under general info but it was under the vista class ship section. Here is the link. Look under the all ship info section.

I could not read the menu - it was really out of focus. :( Perhaps you can redo on your cruise and post a readable one when you get home.:)

Enjoying your review.

I could not read the menu - it was really out of focus. :( Perhaps you can redo on your cruise and post a readable one when you get home.:)

If you double click on the image, it will enlarge enough for you to read it. Still not a real good image as the paper appears to have been folded, but it is readable.

Here is the Mariner Lunch Menu (I had some time on my lunch break to type it out):

APPETIZER

Crab and Avocado Timbale

Layered with couscous and drizzled with mango vinaigrette

Spiced Chicken and Okra Gumbo

Smoked sausage, spices, tomatoes, rice, served with a mini cornbread muffin

ENTREES:

Grilled Spruce Hen

Natural jus, apple raisin chutney, steamed broccoli florets and roasted pesto cherry tomato and sautéed potatoes

Grilled Pompano with Lemon Splash

Jamaican Style Corn Fritters, Peas in rice and Sauteed greens

Baked Vegetable Quiche “Bahamian” Style

Pesto, Assorted dry fruit brown rice, and grilled pineapple spears

DESSERT:

Coconut Crème Brulee with Fresh Fruits

Flavored with Captain Morgan’s Dark rum

Petit Fours, Coffee, Tea

Hope this helps!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Here is the Mariner Lunch Menu (I had some time on my lunch break to type it out):

APPETIZER

Crab and Avocado Timbale

ENTREES:

Grilled Spruce Hen

Natural jus, apple raisin chutney, steamed broccoli florets and roasted pesto cherry tomato and sautéed potatoes

DESSERT:

Petit Fours, Coffee, Tea

Hope this helps!

What a nice thing to do! I was ok reading it the way it was but it was nice of you to do that.

Sounds good! I don't think it's the same menu from our Volendam cruise in the Far East in February, though. Do you think they plan their menus differently in different places? I noticed that the Sommelier's Dinner we went to had a different menu from a recent one posed on Halfacts.

Kazu - will try and capture as many pictures as possible. My challenge will be when I get home and try to post them on Halfacts.com. I loved Grenada the one time I was there. They had a joyful steel band at the dock to great us (old dock). That was back in 1989. Yikes!;)

I will be on the Maasdam in June. If something was missed or need more just let me know.

Sounds good! I don't think it's the same menu from our Volendam cruise in the Far East in February, though. Do you think they plan their menus differently in different places? I noticed that the Sommelier's Dinner we went to had a different menu from a recent one posed on Halfacts.

No, I'm thinking its the new and ”improved” menu. Even though i haven’t tasted it there is nothing there to tempt me. I can't stand creme brulee.

Edited by cruz chic

APPETIZER

Crab and Avocado Timbale

ENTREES:

Grilled Spruce Hen

DESSERT:

Petit Fours, Coffee, Tea

Hope this helps!

How nice of you to do that!:) It actually all looks good to me and made me feel hungry.

How nice of you to do that!:) It actually all looks good to me and made me feel hungry.

I may be mistaken, but this looks particularly "Caribbean" in focus. Could it be targeted to ships in that area? Although, I was on the Eurodam in the Caribbean last month and they had the old traditional menu at the Mariner Luncheon. :confused:

I may be mistaken, but this looks particularly "Caribbean" in focus. Could it be targeted to ships in that area? Although, I was on the Eurodam in the Caribbean last month and they had the old traditional menu at the Mariner Luncheon. :confused:

I've never known them to do that for the mariners lunch but stranger things have happened. I don't think I'll bother with this lunch either on my upcoming Westerdam cruise even though I'll be getting my 300 day medal on this one.