Everything.. ESCAPE (live 29 Oct 2015!)

Yay! Thanks for the pictures, although I'm a dunce and having trouble figuring out what I'm really seeing. I don't even know what is building and what is ship part. Ha! Still though, it's exciting to see things happening.

Let me try to give you a little orientation: ;)

The building hall is divided into two parts: the 45 meter wide building dock, which is eleven meters deep. That is the area where you can see Norwegian Escape being built. So in the middle of the first photo you see the ship. Or what is going to be the ship in the end.

btw, the larger building hall in Papenburg is the world's largest covered ship building dock with 504 meters length, 125 meter width and 75 meters height.

The area in front (seen from the photo's perspective) of the dock is a storage area for the block, that can be up to 800 tons heavy. This is the place where the blocks get pre fitted and also painted. Even the balconies are installed to the blocks there. Then, the 800 ton crane lifts the blocks to the actual building area. Up to 75 such blocks make a cruise ship like Norwegian Escape.

The building hall is divided into two parts: the 45 meter wide building dock, which is eleven meters deep. That is the area where you can see Norwegian Escape being built. So in the middle of the first photo you see the ship. Or what is going to be the ship in the end.

btw, the larger building hall in Papenburg is the world's largest covered ship building dock with 504 meters length, 125 meter width and 75 meters height.

The area in front (seen from the photo's perspective) of the dock is a storage area for the block, that can be up to 800 tons heavy. This is the place where the blocks get pre fitted and also painted. Even the balconies are installed to the blocks there. Then, the 800 ton crane lifts the blocks to the actual building area. Up to 75 such blocks make a cruise ship like Norwegian Escape.

You are wonderful. Thank you so much.

Thank you. It makes more sense now. I was having trouble knowing what was ship and what wasn't too. I really appreciate your photos. I would love to see any you are willing to take and show us. :)

Thank you. It makes more sense now. I was having trouble knowing what was ship and what wasn't too. I really appreciate your photos. I would love to see any you are willing to take and show us. :)

If I could, I would show you the whole ship yard. "Unfortunately" (to keep my job) I can only post photos of areas you can see when you are in the visitor's center. You will get some good and yet unseen impressions of the yard and Escape's construction ;)

Today, Norwegian Escape's keel was officially laid:

Press release:

Papenburg, 19 September 2014 – Norwegian Cruise Line executives and officials from MEYER WERFT took part in the Keel-Laying Ceremony of Norwegian Escape on Friday, September 19, 2014. During the official ceremony, block number 35/41, one of 86 blocks that will comprise the 164,600 gross ton vessel, was lifted into the covered building dock. This is the start of the block assembly for Norwegian Escape.

In the dock, Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian Cruise Line’s president and chief executive officer, laid the traditional "lucky coin," before the 400 ton block was placed by the 800 ton crane.

“We are pleased to start construction of Norwegian Escape", says Sheehan. “The start of the block assembly is a significant milestone and we eagerly anticipate the delivery of Norwegian Escape in the autumn of 2015.” The Norwegian Escape is the first of four ships with a length of 324.6 meters and a width of 41.4 meters that MEYER WERFT will be building for Norwegian Cruise Line until 2019.

“Today we placed one of 86 blocks”, says Bernard Meyer, MEYER WERFT's managing director. “We are proud to begin the construction of the new series and continue our partnership with one of the most innovative cruise lines in the world.”

Starting from October 2015, Norwegian Escape will begin seven-day cruises from Miami to the Eastern Caribbean, taking 4,200 guests to the tropical destinations of Tortola, British Virgin Islands; St. Thomas, American Virgin Islands and Nassau, Bahamas. The newbuilding will unite all the exciting and innovative features of both Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway. On top of that, she will feature a series of new public rooms and interactive experiences.

9b57ba129462bdb1c1bc5f92bb1036c3.jpg

Photo: Meyer Werft

This is the block construction in Meyer Werft's smaller building hall. You can see the actual dock (9 meters deep) and storage area on the right side.

The hall is 100 meters wide and 370 meters long. Not enough space for cruise ships, so now Meyer Werft is building blocks in there.

05927252e7a088ab308efb3f69db473a.jpg

Yay! Thanks for the pictures, although I'm a dunce and having trouble figuring out what I'm really seeing. I don't even know what is building and what is ship part. Ha! Still though, it's exciting to see things happening.

See this old Breakaway pic to get an idea how they build and what a block is (some of them on the foreground, see the theatre block?).

And this is a block plan.

An interesting part of the block building will be the unveiling of those top deck cantilevered hot tubs on top of the Haven and other exterior unknown features.

This is so exciting! Danke, MasterSchnief! :D

Alison

Bitte, Alison ;) Glad you like the photos!

Ditto! I don't know who you are, or what it is that you do, but your posts, and pictures, and descriptions are wonderful! Thank you, and keep 'em coming!

Thank you! I am not only from Papenburg and love cruise ships, I also study Cruise Tourism Management, am a tour guide at the yard and work for a newspaper as a freelancer. So I get the whole Meyer Werft package.

This is so exciting! Danke, MasterSchnief! :D

Alison

Ditto! I don't know who you are, or what it is that you do, but your posts, and pictures, and descriptions are wonderful! Thank you, and keep 'em coming!

Thank you! I am not only from Papenburg and love cruise ships, I also study Cruise Tourism Management, am a tour guide at the yard and work for a newspaper as a freelancer. So I get the whole Meyer Werft package.

AWESOME!!

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for more. 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is the current status of Escape's block assembly:

36c594476d324b05bc3b7b1ad99b01e0.jpg

Those are so called sections. Around eight to ten sections will end up in a block. The sections are pre fitted with as much technical equipment as possible before they are welded to the ship.

b41bc40d59bd56f41532042712427f12.jpg

To give you an idea of how high the ship will be when finished, here's a photo of that area in the building hall, that is for Norwegian Escape:

4724c2b88eb4d2870d3b57cc9c4e88ee.jpg

Does anyone know if there will be a Headliners room on the Escape. My wife and I love that room and spend practically every night in it on the four cruises we have done on ships that have it and will on the two we have planned on the Getaway and Breakaway coming soon.l