Everything.. ESCAPE (live 29 Oct 2015!)

NCL could have quite reasonably looked at the -away ships and determined that increased deck space for the general population is more necessary than increasing the space of the Haven sun deck, especially since Escape will carry more passengers.

FYI, although the double occupancy rate will slightly increase from around 4,000 to 4,250, the maximum capacity of around 4,800 will remain the same. With a full load, Escape will carry the same number of passengers as Breakaway, but with more space, including the more efficient use of sundeck space above Spice H2O and elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Is that a grotto at Spice?

I'm surprised no body has ever mentioned it but...... if I was gonna put a Margerttaville on an Epic onwards ship I know where I'd put it. Don't some margerttavilles have grottos?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm surprised no body has ever mentioned it but...... if I was gonna put a Margerttaville on an Epic onwards ship I know where I'd put it. Don't some margerttavilles have grottos?
I'll also add that the renderings look like there is a larger dining offer in spice h20. Hmmmmmmmmmm
Except the press release about Margaritaville specifies it will be a Waterfront establishment.

Except the press release about Margaritaville specifies it will be a Waterfront establishment.

Margaritaville's iconic name brings to mind the desire in everyone to kick back and escape the everyday, if only for a few hours or days. Norwegian Escape's Margaritaville restaurant and bar will embody that essence of escapism with a laid back atmosphere inspired by the lyrics and lifestyle of Jimmy Buffett. Nostalgic island moments will come to life with a menu that invites guests to take a bite out of paradise with signature items like the Cheeseburger in Paradise and Who's to Blame Margarita. This venue will be one of Norwegian Escape's many complimentary dining outlets. In addition to the restaurant, Norwegian Escape will feature the 5 O'Clock Somewhere Bar, a music venue and outdoor bar on The Waterfront. The 5 O'Clock Somewhere Bar will feature live nightly performances so guests can enjoy the sounds of the tropics while sipping a signature margarita or "boat drink" and gazing out to the beautiful Caribbean Sea.

My guess is that the restaurant will be on top at H20, with a second venue replacing fat cats. I'm going to assume that tobacco road is replacing Shakers/Sugarcane??

Well, I will remain hopeful that the features on the model are incomplete, but my fear is that the details are accurate. If so, Spice H2O appears to be a desert. My main concerns and questions:

1. Are the two round objects in the corners of Spice giant sunbeds with canopies? If so, are there no hot tubs in Spice? I see showers, but no pools or hot tubs. Without a hot tub, at least, this area will have no appeal to me, and the overall appeal of the ship is severely diminished.

2. I expanded the Spice image to 200% zoom, and the -away waterfall area does appear to be some sort of grotto. While my initial reaction is that it might be kind of cool (no pun intended), I don't think I would want to linger in a dark cave for a protracted period of time. There's a big qualitative difference, in my mind, between a hot tub with a sun shade and a cave. One says "Ibiza-inspired beach club", the other says creepy.

Relative to an earlier question about eliminating an entire ship from consideration because of the lack of a particular feature [actually that was on the Howl at the Moon thread], here's my response: I'm planning on sailing Escape solo and I am already booked in a studio for 14 nights. The pool/sun deck experience is a huge part of why I cruise, especially because I live in the rainy Northwest. To make my experience palatable on a ship that is otherwise marketed heavily to families, I need an awesome adults-only oasis. If Escape's Spice H2O turns out like Epic's, the ship would be a no-brainer. If it's worse than the -aways (i.e. no hot tubs and only a dark cave in which to cool off), I will cancel my reservation. That would mean four giant ships with no appeal to me. That would force me to start looking at Quantum class and other alternatives. :mad:

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

Well, I will remain hopeful that the features on the model are incomplete, but my fear is that the details are accurate. If so, Spice H2O appears to be a desert. My main concerns and questions:

1. Are the two round objects in the corners of Spice giant sunbeds with canopies? If so, are there no hot tubs in Spice? I see showers, but no pools or hot tubs. Without a hot tub, at least, this area will have no appeal to me, and the overall appeal of the ship is severely diminished.

2. I expanded the Spice image to 200% zoom, and the -away waterfall area does appear to be some sort of grotto. While my initial reaction is that it might be kind of cool (no pun intended), I don't think I would want to linger in a dark cave for a protracted period of time. There's a big qualitative difference, in my mind, between a hot tub with a sun shade and a cave. One says "Ibiza-inspired beach club", the other says creepy.

Relative to an earlier question about eliminating an entire ship from consideration because of the lack of a particular feature [actually that was on the Howl at the Moon thread], here's my response: I'm planning on sailing Escape solo and I am already booked in a studio for 14 nights. The pool/sun deck experience is a huge part of why I cruise, especially because I live in the rainy Northwest. To make my experience palatable on a ship that is otherwise marketed heavily to families, I need an awesome adults-only oasis. If Escape's Spice H2O turns out like Epic's, the ship would be a no-brainer. If it's worse than the -aways (i.e. no hot tubs and only a dark cave in which to cool off), I will cancel my reservation. That would mean four giant ships with no appeal to me. That would force me to start looking at Quantum class and other alternatives. :mad:

I also would not hesitate to eliminate a ship due to a lack of features that are important to me. Piano bars are a blast. An absolute blast. It is a huge deal to me that they are eliminating Howl, but I will wait to see what it is being replaced with. Same with deck space. I have two cruises booked - one in a mini, and one in the haven. The deck space for both depends on which I keep, if any. Spice on Epic is awesome. It was lacking on the Getaway.

I also would not hesitate to eliminate a ship due to a lack of features that are important to me. Piano bars are a blast. An absolute blast. It is a huge deal to me that they are eliminating Howl, but I will wait to see what it is being replaced with. Same with deck space. I have two cruises booked - one in a mini, and one in the haven. The deck space for both depends on which I keep, if any. Spice on Epic is awesome. It was lacking on the Getaway.

We have also had a blast at Howl on both our cruises, spending multiple evenings in there. I'm with you though. I'm going to wait to see what replaces it. I can't imagine that NCL would replace something that is so overwhelmingly popular with something that is completely sucky. I have faith. We shall see, I guess.

We are also Spice H2O junkies, but the pool isn't a big deal to me. I'm more of a bar fly there. LOL! (That was why I wasn't such a fan of Epic's, since the bar was overrun with kids.) The grotto thing could be interesting, but I'm guessing it's the same as Getaway's water thing, but with a new paint job.

Edited by LrgPizza

I may be the only person on the NCL CC board that didn't enjoy Howl at the Moon (on Breakaway) LOL. That's the good thing about these mega ships though -- there's something for everyone. My other great hope for this ship, beyond improved deck space for the masses, is a really great dance club. The one on Breakaway was tiny, and they've already announced another venue in that space. I'm hoping that means they'll be planning a better one elsewhere on the ship -- maybe in the footprint of the Howl at the Moon venue from Breakaway? We shall see!

It indeed does look like a sunbed. BUT what's the point of having two showers on both sides with no hot tubs? Based on that I do expect two hot tubs.

Or.. wishing, hoping.. with 3 more new Breakaway Plus class ships coming.. :)

Margaritaville's iconic name brings to mind the desire in everyone to kick back and escape the everyday, if only for a few hours or days. Norwegian Escape's Margaritaville restaurant and bar will embody that essence of escapism with a laid back atmosphere inspired by the lyrics and lifestyle of Jimmy Buffett. Nostalgic island moments will come to life with a menu that invites guests to take a bite out of paradise with signature items like the Cheeseburger in Paradise and Who's to Blame Margarita. This venue will be one of Norwegian Escape's many complimentary dining outlets. In addition to the restaurant, Norwegian Escape will feature the 5 O'Clock Somewhere Bar, a music venue and outdoor bar on The Waterfront. The 5 O'Clock Somewhere Bar will feature live nightly performances so guests can enjoy the sounds of the tropics while sipping a signature margarita or "boat drink" and gazing out to the beautiful Caribbean Sea.

My guess is that the restaurant will be on top at H20, with a second venue replacing fat cats. I'm going to assume that tobacco road is replacing Shakers/Sugarcane??

Since the deck plan page on NCL site shows Tobacco Road on deck 8 (although it doesn't show where) I'm going to guess that you are right.

As far as Margaritaville/5 O'Clock Somewhere Bar, I had just assumed that they would share the same space/venue, but I don't know why I assumed that. We need updated deck plans! I'm going stir crazy here.

Since the deck plan page on NCL site shows Tobacco Road on deck 8 (although it doesn't show where) I'm going to guess that you are right.

As far as Margaritaville/5 O'Clock Somewhere Bar, I had just assumed that they would share the same space/venue, but I don't know why I assumed that. We need updated deck plans! I'm going stir crazy here.

Haha - me too!!!

The chap that has done the renderings for the animation will have had schematics for the ship, if the plans for the back deck H20 / Margaritaville? area were sketchy or unfinished he would have had to make assumptions and just throw a few sunbeds around etc. The would have also been creating this rendering prior to the announcement.

The fact that h2o is missing from the deck plan may also imply they are planning something new. If id payed to licence the Margaritaville brand i'd want to maximise my investments and use it as much as I could. In my mind the brand needs an out door space with water... Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but it was the first thing I thought when I read the announcement.

I will add that the Waterfront Grammy/Fat Cats area has an interesting configuration...

30xefcn.png

It indeed does look like a sunbed. BUT what's the point of having two showers on both sides with no hot tubs? Based on that I do expect two hot tubs.

Or.. wishing, hoping.. with 3 more new Breakaway Plus class ships coming.. :)

I would hope they put hot tubs there. We enjoyed H20 on the Getaway the few times our kids were in the kids club during the day LOL!

I will add that the Waterfront Grammy/Fat Cats area has an interesting configuration...

30xefcn.png

Having looked again there is something strange about that pod structure at the end of the waterfront, it has a gap at the back of it. Maybe an error in the rendering but if it was created from the blueprints I'd doubt it. Could they be planning something clever? Something hydraulic? My mind is running away with me now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If id payed to licence the Margaritaville brand i'd want to maximise my investments and use it as much as I could. In my mind the brand needs an out door space with water... Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but it was the first thing I thought when I read the announcement.

The first Margaritaville I visited in my life is in Las Vegas and has nothing to do with water. Hearing that term isn't something that in any way I associated with water. I guess your experiences with that chain are different.

The first Margaritaville I visited in my life is in Las Vegas and has nothing to do with water. Hearing that term isn't something that in any way I associated with water. I guess your experiences with that chain are different.

You would associate it with water if you've been to the one in Jamaica lol.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

The Caribbean branches certainly are associated with water!

MONTEGO BAY

4902221_orig.jpg

NEGRIL

margaritaville_negril_jamaica.jpg

OCHO RIOS

496871.jpg

GRAND TURK

margaritaville.jpg

FALMOUTH

jimmy-buffett-s-margaritaville.jpg

GRAND CAYMAN

margaritaville.jpg

You must not have looked around when you where in LV......check out all the water photos at Margaretville, Las Vegas. http://www.margaritavillelasvegas.com/photos.html?ga=14

I was thinking more about the apparent grotto and it's possible connection to Margaritaville. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the layout is roughly the same as the Aways wouldn't the placement of the grotto need to be on the opposite side to have any connection to the dining venue? I suppose they could redo the entire area... but just thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I think Spice is a PERFECT place for a Margaritaville! Replace the Uptown B & G with that and have a grotto for the bar on that side, too. One HUGE Margaritaville. :D Leave the grotto for the water feature/cool off area on the portside and PUT A SMALL POOL IN FRONT OF THE SCREEN! :D This could be a fabulous Adults Only Spice H20. (Sorry I yelled so much).:cool: