Trivia New Prizes

mcrcruiser

On our 3/2 & 3/9 Silhouette Caribbean cruises ,we played Trivia for signatures by the staff .

You collect the signatures & at near the end of the cruise ,Celebrity has a table with Water bottles ,Hats ,Pens ,Luggage tags ,ie .There is a decent assortment & you must have enough signatures from the Trivia staff to buy your selection .

This seemed ok ;however ,a instant reward to the winners was also very nice ,in the past;)

Why are cruise lines so cheap with prizes. A pen, a luggage tag, a water bottle? Really? How about a bottle (glass?) of wine or free photos? I am not asking them to eat into their profits, just give respectable prizes.

Why are cruise lines so cheap with prizes. A pen, a luggage tag, a water bottle? Really? How about a bottle (glass?) of wine or free photos? I am not asking them to eat into their profits, just give respectable prizes.

Would end up costing a lot of money, IMHO

On our 3/2 & 3/9 Silhouette Caribbean cruises ,we played Trivia for signatures by the staff .

You collect the signatures & at near the end of the cruise ,Celebrity has a table with Water bottles ,Hats ,Pens ,Luggage tags ,ie .There is a decent assortment & you must have enough signatures from the Trivia staff to buy your selection .

This seemed ok ;however ,a instant reward to the winners was also very nice ,in the past;)

That's exactly what they do on NCL.

Real prizes can make people take things too seriously particularly in the case of trivia where people may dispute some answers. These things are supposed to be fun and throwing real prizes into the mix just adds the potential for too much drama.

Best prizes I have ever seen are t-shirts, caps and bingo tickets. Good enough for me.

Everyone who plays trivia gets a card with squares on it. For all trivia games, the first place team gets three signatures, second place gets two and third place, one signature. At the end of the cruise, you add up how many signatures and then go to Celebrity Central at the appointed time where they have prizes you can select depending on how many signatures you have. There were pens, luggage tags, water bottles and a tote bag.

I think it's a good way to handle prizes and the inevitable cheats who try and win every contest. This way, everyone who participates can get something.

Real prizes can make people take things too seriously particularly in the case of trivia where people may dispute some answers. These things are supposed to be fun and throwing real prizes into the mix just adds the potential for too much drama.

Best prizes I have ever seen are t-shirts, caps and bingo tickets. Good enough for me.

On NCL for second place in the Week Long Trivia, we won insulated lunch bags.. My daughter was newly married and living with us while they saved for a down payment on a new house. They carried lunch in those bags for as long as they lived with us ( about nine months) and even after they moved into their new home.

On Carnival, twice my team won the Super Team Trivia and we were given bottles of wine. That night at dinner, the Wait staff served the wine to our group. It was not the most expensive wine I have had in my lifetime......but it was the absolute best. that was a really nice night.

We are looking forward to sailing on Celebrity. I agree that fancy prizes would tempt people to do searches on I-pods or smart phones...It is supposed to be fun. And it is. The more competitive the better.

Edited by AmberTeka

On our Solstice TA a couple of years ago they gave out raffle tickets to the winners and at the end they had a raffle for items from the glass studio. I won a lovely large blue vase and it made it home in one piece. It was unfortunate not everyone got a prize though.

I'm ok with this new system. It's like getting tickets at the arcade playing skeeball :)

Edited by kannna

Maybe they should charge each participant to play and then use that money to purchase better prizes.

Charge for trivia? Horrible idea. I play for the fun of it. If I get a luggage tag or a cap or a pen, that's nice. But, I still have just as much fun if my team comes in last. If they charged, I wouldn't play, and one of my favorite shipboard activities would be gone for me.

If they charge, and you're not the best trivia person, no one would want you on their team.

Let's just keep it friendly and fun.

Charge for trivia? Horrible idea. I play for the fun of it. If I get a luggage tag or a cap or a pen, that's nice. But, I still have just as much fun if my team comes in last. If they charged, I wouldn't play, and one of my favorite shipboard activities would be gone for me.

If they charge, and you're not the best trivia person, no one would want you on their team.

Totally agree;) .Trivia is a lot of Fun win or lose . Putting a price tag on it would destroy the game imo

Lots of diverse answers on this thread & that is good to see :D.

We were impressed with the prizes given on Allure earlier this month:

Key Ring (Traditional 5 cent prize)

Marker Pen

Ball Point Pen (Just Like Celebrity's)

Camera Case (Hamster Back Pack)

Baseball Cap

Drinking Mug

Umbrella

Wallet (Great storage for wearing beneath shirt for security)

It has been a long time since Celebrity provided a variety of prizes. I thought that the accumulation of points method is a positive change but prizes could use an upgrade even from onboard sales vouchers.

When Eclipse gave tickets for prizes we showed up 20 minutes after announced time and amazingly all the T-shirts were already gone. Lots of pens available though.

We were impressed with the prizes given on Allure earlier this month:

Key Ring (Traditional 5 cent prize)

Marker Pen

Ball Point Pen (Just Like Celebrity's)

Camera Case (Hamster Back Pack)

Baseball Cap

Drinking Mug

Umbrella

Wallet (Great storage for wearing beneath shirt for security)

It has been a long time since Celebrity provided a variety of prizes. I thought that the accumulation of points method is a positive change but prizes could use an upgrade even from onboard sales vouchers.

When Eclipse gave tickets for prizes we showed up 20 minutes after announced time and amazingly all the T-shirts were already gone. Lots of pens available though.

You are right about the T shirts going fast .You would think that Celebrity would always have more on hand ,so NOT to disappoint folks :eek:

Exactly. There's already a little ill will sometimes on "grading papers" even when the prizes are just little jokes. Also whether more that 6 were used on a team or not.

Best just to keep it silly little prizes that people don't really care about, as anything of real value could cause even more fingerpointing and ill will between teams.

We LOVE trivia on cruise ships. It's the first thing we look for in the program each day (unless we're in port, of course).

Then people need to stop complaining about the prizes and look at Trivia for what it is.....fun. It is not about what you are winning; it is about the fun you have whether you win or lose. And if they want better prizes, then they should be the ones paying for them.