Just off Oasis today...Great cruise but.....

We just finished a 7 nt Oasis cruise. What an amazing ship and vacation. Had a wonderful time and would go on again but I thought one thing should be changed.

The flooring around the pool areas is the smooth, rubber like material. A little water and it was a big hazard. Saw many fall or almost fall around the pool (including myself with a huge knot on my knee).

There are small areas that have the textured flooring which I feel prevents for less slipping but not so immediately around the pool.

We just ended up "shuffling" when at the pool but I just thought what a hazard.

I fell also on the Allure. I hear you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Marcie and Jay

Five kiddos ages 2-15

Grand Rapids,

Michigan

Carnival fascination 2001

Disney fantasy 2011

RCCL Allure of the Seas 2013

Edited by iublondie25

I agree, I've never liked the stuff. I wish they would bring back the teak. I know that will never happen given the size of the decks on these mega-ships but it would be a nice addition. Probably there's a weight issue as well as a price and supply issue.

Edited by The Grumpus

You should never walk barefoot around the pool.

Quick story- our first day on the Freedom I decided to take off my flip flops and get a picture of my kids in the pool. I slipped and jammed my toe so bad I had to go to the clinic and wear a bandage and take painkillers the rest of the week.

Thankfully it wasn't broken but I made sure to be really careful after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI. I wasn't barefoot. I was wearing crocs. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Marcie and Jay

Five kiddos ages 2-15

Grand Rapids,

Michigan

Carnival fascination 2001

Disney fantasy 2011

RCCL Allure of the Seas 2013

We were just on the same cruise. The 6th day we were walking around the deck trying to enjoy the breeze and 'rolling' waves. The decks were wet and I slipped several times, especially as we cam down stairs. I ended up just kicking off my sandals and going barefoot. I risked more injury WITH shoes than without. The floors there are dangerous.

I'll add to it. We did Freedom over New Years. On the second to last day my wife, wearing flip flops, stepped off a step at the pool and both feet flew. She came down on the step hitting the back of her shoulder (it took her whole weight). The fall was so serious she dislocated her collarbone. She is still having problems and has been going through therapy.

I love RCI. We have already cruised since, and are going again in May. But they are not all that responsive given the severity of the injury. I emailed regarding the un-reimbursed cost of her medical bills, and received an email that we would hear in 6-8 weeks. We'll see. I am about to contact them again. The deck was seriously slippery. As we waited for medical, 2 other people slipped on it.

They are lucky we haven't filed a suit against them.

A number of years ago she slipped down some stairs on a Carnival cruise, and Carnival followed up a short period after we returned home to make sure she was ok.

I love RCI, but they should really follow up with passengers that get injured on their ships.

We just finished a 7 nt Oasis cruise. What an amazing ship and vacation. Had a wonderful time and would go on again but I thought one thing should be changed.

The flooring around the pool areas is the smooth, rubber like material. A little water and it was a big hazard. Saw many fall or almost fall around the pool (including myself with a huge knot on my knee).

There are small areas that have the textured flooring which I feel prevents for less slipping but not so immediately around the pool.

I'm sure that RCCL is "listening" and will address the issue during the drydock. During Allure's mini-drydock a couple of weeks ago, they resurfaced many of the pool deck areas to appear like fake wood floors. These floors have a little more texture and the fake spacing between the wood planks provide channels for the water. In other areas of the ship, around the flow rider, the floors were re-surfaced and have more texture.

I agree, I've never liked the stuff. I wish they would bring back the teak. I know that will never happen given the size of the decks on these mega-ships but it would be a nice addition. Probably there's a weight issue as well as a price and supply issue.

I don´t know about weight, Price and supply, but they can´t use Wood on ships in these days anymore. It´s a matter of fire safety regulations.

You think that is bad, you should try with wet feet walking quickly on the tiles/marble around the Solarium pool on the Radiance class.

Quick story- our first day on the Freedom I decided to take off my flip flops and get a picture of my kids in the pool. I slipped and jammed my toe so bad I had to go to the clinic and wear a bandage and take painkillers the rest of the week.

Thankfully it wasn't broken but I made sure to be really careful after that.

No one said they were barefoot but I don't know many who go into the pool with shoes. Our daughter also fell after getting out of the pool (barefoot) and walking to our chairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by brenderlou

No one said they were barefoot but I don't know many who go into the pool with shoes. Our daughter also fell after getting out of the pool (barefoot) and walking to our chairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I realize no one goes into the pool with shoes. I was talking about walking around the pool deck.

I saw a woman take a bad fall when exiting a stall in the ladies room....barefoot:eek: And nope, she didn't wash her hands either:eek::eek:

I do think you are at greater risk for a slip if you are barefoot. My flip flops provide some traction but I do agree that the pool decks are slick.

Besides the pool deck, the walkways in Central Park are also very slippery when they are wet. This can especially be a problem in the evening when people may be wearing dressier shoes that don't provide much traction even on dry surfaces. While I understand the desire to design beautiful looking environments on the ship, it is still a ship, on a moving ocean.

I agree, I have almost fallen countless times. I did fall down the steps next to the Flowrider, I have since learned to wear my Vibrams, not flip flops. But I say the same thing every cruise, why do they have that flooring, way too slippery.