Help! Don't wanna ruin the surprise!

Hgu314

We originally booked an oceanview cabin on Constellation sailing Apr 19 through an online travel agent. We completed online check in, requested luggage tag and the Guest Ticket Booklets which contain printable luggage tags were ready to use.

Due to recent huge price drop, I upgraded us to a balcony cabin and I decided to keep it secret to my boyfriend until we board the ship. But when I checked MyCelebrity, it said the luggage tag cannot be mailed to us for this sailing (don't know why, maybe we requested already?) and the guest ticket booklet still shows the luggage tag with the original cabin. I know I could get them from the porter easily, but I think my boyfriend will find out when the porter ask the cabin number. Should I call celebrity or do I have to go through travel agent? Or any other way to print the luggage tag?

Thanks in advance

We originally booked an oceanview cabin on Constellation sailing Apr 19 through an online travel agent. We completed online check in, requested luggage tag and the Guest Ticket Booklets which contain printable luggage tags were ready to use.

Due to recent huge price drop, I upgraded us to a balcony cabin and I decided to keep it secret to my boyfriend until we board the ship. But when I checked MyCelebrity, it said the luggage tag cannot be mailed to us for this sailing (don't know why, maybe we requested already?) and the guest ticket booklet still shows the luggage tag with the original cabin. I know I could get them from the porter easily, but I think my boyfriend will find out when the porter ask the cabin number. Should I call celebrity or do I have to go through travel agent? Or any other way to print the luggage tag?

It should be easy if you can just think of some "important" errand to distract your boyfriend when you arrive at the port, preferably something that will tie him up for a while.

When you get to the port, tell him that you will check the bags and send him off inside the cruise terminal to get something that you absolutely must have or must find out right away.

Maybe tell him to see the port agent to find out if any vacant cabins are available, buy something for you that you absolutely must have right now from one of the shops .....anything.

Then you can pick up luggage tags right there at the port and fill them out and attach them yourself, or just tell a porter your new cabin number and he will do it for you.

But be aware that it is possible Celebrity may still send you luggage tags in the mail anyway, even if you didn't order them, and they may have the old or new cabin number on them, so if you receive an envelope in the mail from Celebrity, try to get to it before he does.. ;)

Enjoy that balcony cabin!

Remember that you can order room service breakfast to start the day out there, even if you plan to have a full breakfast elsewhere on the ship later.

If you want to keep the surprise until after you board the ship, you could keep the old luggage tags and then go to that cabin and retrieve your luggage yourself. Just a thought.

Hi Nancyquilts,

I'm sorry, but I'd think twice about that. What if the person who has the previous cabin, accidentally takes your bags into the cabin ? IMO, too many things can go wrong.

Thanks in advance

Hi Hgu,

I suggest contacting your Travel agent, and ask them to contact Celebrity. Perhaps X has a way to override the system, and mail you the luggage tags. If all else fails, you can print them online.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your cruise !

Edited by Host Andy

I recently upgraded after I had already completed the online checkin and requested luggage tags for the original cabin. It took a few days before the online checkin showed the new cabin number, then once it updated I was able to order new luggage tags. We are also sailing on the 19th, but on the Century.

Theresa

I would print the luggage tags online or contact your TA to obtain them. At the port I would just tell your boyfriend that you'll take care of the luggage and send him in to join the check in line.

I do not suggest sending your luggage to the wrong cabin. Like Andy said, there are too many things that can go wrong with that scenario.

Enjoy your balcony :)

Thanks in advance

I am on the 4/19 cruise as well. I just changed cabins yesterday. Since I had already received my luggage tags in the mail, I was unable to order them online. I just asked my CVP to do it for me......and he did! You can order luggage tags up to 11 days prior to sailing. You are still outside that timeline. Either get your TA to call and order them for you or call Celebrity direct*. It can be done! Why don't you come over and join our Roll Call for this cruise???

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1858398

Try calling the *Pre-Cruise Concierge at 800-591-6221 (shorter hold time?)

Good luck, and what a nice surprise for your boyfriend! :)

Is he so tuned in that he will recognize the cabin number if you tell it to the porter I guarantee you my DH would never notice! He has asked me ten times when we leave and when we return and yesterday told someone we come back on May 8th, I had to say no, it's May 13th! So unless you are 100% sure he will recognize a different number, I wouldn't worry about it.

Is he so tuned in that he will recognize the cabin number if you tell it to the porter I guarantee you my DH would never notice! He has asked me ten times when we leave and when we return and yesterday told someone we come back on May 8th, I had to say no, it's May 13th! So unless you are 100% sure he will recognize a different number, I wouldn't worry about it.

Same situation here. My wife doesn't remember the name of the ship for our next cruise. :eek::p

I bet that a big majority of couples, where one does virtually all of the planning and makes the bookings, the one who goes along for the ride hasn't a clue what deck they're on, cabin number not a chance. :D

I agree that there is no way he would know if you just got luggage tags at the pier and wrote the number on them yourself. The cabin number doesn't reveal anything about what type of cabin it is. Just tell him oops you forgot to bring the tags and write the number on them yourself. (This is if you can't get the new tags.)

Same situation here. My wife doesn't remember the name of the ship for our next cruise. :eek::p

I bet that a big majority of couples, where one does virtually all of the planning and makes the bookings, the one who goes along for the ride hasn't a clue what deck they're on, cabin number not a chance. :D

so very true

Our first balcony cabin was a surprise to both DH and kids. I had the porter tag them and just gave him the number. Nobody noticed. As we walked down our hallway my son said "there's something wrong, I think they gave us a balcony cabin by mistake".

Once we opened the door and walked in I said, "surprise". Needless to say there was lots of excitement and laughing.

I'm sure if you just don't tag the bags till you get there he won't have a clue.

That's my husband! I don't think he knows where we are going, other than the Caribbean, much less our cabin number, or even the name of the ship. :p

If you want to keep the surprise until after you board the ship, you could keep the old luggage tags and then go to that cabin and retrieve your luggage yourself. Just a thought.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I have to agree with others, too many unknown factors by doing that. But thanks anyway:)

It should be easy if you can just think of some "important" errand to distract your boyfriend when you arrive at the port, preferably something that will tie him up for a while.

When you get to the port, tell him that you will check the bags and send him off inside the cruise terminal to get something that you absolutely must have or must find out right away.

Maybe tell him to see the port agent to find out if any vacant cabins are available, buy something for you that you absolutely must have right now from one of the shops .....anything.

Then you can pick up luggage tags right there at the port and fill them out and attach them yourself, or just tell a porter your new cabin number and he will do it for you.

But be aware that it is possible Celebrity may still send you luggage tags in the mail anyway, even if you didn't order them, and they may have the old or new cabin number on them, so if you receive an envelope in the mail from Celebrity, try to get to it before he does.. ;)

Enjoy that balcony cabin!

Remember that you can order room service breakfast to start the day out there, even if you plan to have a full breakfast elsewhere on the ship later.

Too many good ideas! Thanks so much. I will definitely enjoy the balcony cabin:)

Hi Hgu,

I suggest contacting your Travel agent, and ask them to contact Celebrity. Perhaps X has a way to override the system, and mail you the luggage tags. If all else fails, you can print them online.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your cruise !

thanks Andy. The long hold time is really painful. I may just get the luggage tag when we at the pier hoping my boyfriend not to pay attention to it. :)

I recently upgraded after I had already completed the online checkin and requested luggage tags for the original cabin. It took a few days before the online checkin showed the new cabin number, then once it updated I was able to order new luggage tags. We are also sailing on the 19th, but on the Century.

Theresa

The online checkin showed the new cabin number right after I made the phone call, but I was unable to order the luggage tag. :confused:

Enjoy your cruise on Century. That is my mom's first cruise and she loved it so much:) Sad to see her go in the near future:(

I am on the 4/19 cruise as well. I just changed cabins yesterday. Since I had already received my luggage tags in the mail, I was unable to order them online. I just asked my CVP to do it for me......and he did! You can order luggage tags up to 11 days prior to sailing. You are still outside that timeline. Either get your TA to call and order them for you or call Celebrity direct*. It can be done! Why don't you come over and join our Roll Call for this cruise???

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1858398

Try calling the *Pre-Cruise Concierge at 800-591-6221 (shorter hold time?)

Good luck, and what a nice surprise for your boyfriend! :)

Thanks so much Beth! What a large roll call group we have. Cant wait to get onboard.

On our last two cruises we all had the balcony cabins. This is the first time we get the oceanview and I can see my boyfriend is a little disappointed. I cant wait to see how he reacts when he finds out, but keeping secret is really hard:rolleyes:

20 more days until our cruise, Im getting more and more excited:) This winter in NY is so crazy:eek:

I'm the one who does all the researching and planning and I'm so enjoying doing this. I told him several times what our cabin number was and showed him the cabin location on deck plan. But I doubt he ever paid any attention to it.

We are sailng on the Solstice in May. I am the researcher and planner but my husband and I have talked about our upcoming trip alot. I have even given him a detailed itinerary of the trip that I prepared.

After reading this thread I decided to ask him what ship we were sailing on in May. He thought for a bit and said "well I know it's not the Equinox or Solstice". See, that's proof that you have nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your trip!

...... At the port I would just tell your boyfriend that you'll take care of the luggage and send him in to join the check in line.

Bingo! The best suggestion yet!

That would be the easiest, most practical and efficient way to do it with no need to make up any excuses.

You send him to hold your place in the check-in line and start filling out the health forms while you pick up luggage tags, check the bags, and then join him in the check-in line.

But I still think they may send you luggage tags in the mail anyway if you reside in the USA because they have sent them to us several times even though we didn't order any.