reviews of the royal

kenorus

Can anyone give me any good points on the royal. Just reading the reviews and found most of them to be very poor. I have not sailed with princess since the carribean princess many years ago and normally sail with celebrity or Holland but would like to try the repo cruise from New York to fort Lauderdale. Reading all the reviews have made me think!

We're booked on this rep cruise in October. From what I've read and the pictures that have been posted, Royal looks amazing. I'm not concerned with petty little things at all. We've booked a cabin with a large balcony and I really don't care about not having a full promenade deck or lack of central staircase. We enjoy the Princess product and we're very excited about this cruise on Royal

I think you should be able to find lots of positive comments on these boards. Don't let a few negative ones stop you from sailing on her. We also cruise frequently on Celebrity (HAL is not a favourite) and we find them to be quite similar to Princess.

Having read all the earlier reviews I wanted to see for myself what it was all about. Just off the 3/23 Royal cruise and my wife and I could not have had a more delightful time.

If you want a bunch of nit pickers and whiners keep you off this beautiful ship with a crew that was friendly and attentive go ahead.

Having left the Northeast when it was 21 degrees a few days earlier the balcony was more than sufficient. Yes we could sit forward or sideways and had no issues eating our breakfast outdoors.

We were forward by the front elevators and stairs and had no issues. In fact I got on an elevator on deck 5 one day after a bunch of kids got off who had punched every floor button. Not sure how the elevator knew it but they cleared all the stops after 6 and 7.

We spent everyday at the retreat and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Never went to the dining room but HC and HB and bakery were dynamite as was Alfredo's and Gelato and the IC.

Run don't walk and make your reservations and if you're a baseball person you can take a turn in the batting cages up top.

I was one the first trans-Atlantic crossing on the Royal and then the first Caribbean sailing. I though it was a stunning ship. The buffet court was the best buffet I have ever seen. Then outside from there they had a huge area with a bar, tables, chairs and couches for you to use while watching the wake. The wine makers dinner was of great value and delish food. The Piazza was the most elegant and stunning of the whole fleet. Did I miss the central staircase, not at all. Did I miss deck 7 going all around, no. In fact I loved the loungers they had in various places on deck 7. Did I care about where the toilet paper holder was. No, it was fine for me. So many people whined even before the ship set sail, I just figured those that whined were the loudest. My only complaint on the Royal was for me it is too big. But would I sail on her again? Absolutely yes.

Probably poor reviews from those comparing her to other Princess ships. Having done the Royal Maiden TA last October, I am not a fan of this design ship - BUT - these are things I loved that were different from other Princess ships:

1. The ship wide intranet is wonderful! You can check your folio anytime, check the daily Patter for events, and browse the Princess website for free - all from your phone or wifi enabled tablet

2. The Piazza is huge and really glamorous, great place in the evening to see and be seen. 3. The aft area outside Horizon court has comfortable seating & beautiful views - lots of amateur photographers here for sunrise/sunset pis.

4. The on demand TV selection of movies, tv shows, and educational programs is great. I watched the first season of House of Cards.

5. Nice outdoor seating area with rattan cushioned furniture hidden (until others find it) deck 7 starboard behind Facets.

We were on for 18 days & possibly came away with a different perspective than someone doing a shorter cruise. But it really is a beautiful ship and you will have a great cruise.

kenorus:

IMHO this is a decision that only you can make based on the reviews. I was on the Royal in March for a 7 day Caribbean cruise and I am not a fan of this ship. Can you have a good time on it? Yes and my wife and I did however we felt that this ship design is a step backwards from the Grands, the previous class of ships. This is reflected by the 65% approval rating here, the lowest of the Princess fleet.

The Royal has a beautiful Piazza, larger and nicer than the other ships with extra sitting space (the Piazzas on the Grands while smaller are pretty nice also). The International Cafe and Alfredo’s Pizzeria are also larger and nicer and the ship of course is new and shiny, including the cabins. Whether you will like it or not depends on your preferences and cruising style. My wife and I were very disappointed with the size of the balconies; they are tiny. We also very much missed the 360 degree Promenade. We are the type that enjoy sitting on the balcony and reading a nice book while watching and listening to the sea. You can do that on the Royal however the seat will have to be in its most upright position and it will be cramped and not that comfortable (there are just a few, not many, larger balconies). We also like to walk the Promenade several times each day which we find very scenic and enjoyable and a good way to burn calories. You will not be able to do this on the Royal as decks 16 and 17 are very partitioned (as expected) and the jogging track on 18 does not compare.

The rooms inside are nice but not really nicer other than being new. While the Royal has a good interactive TV system my wife and I wonder who goes on a cruise to watch a season of TV shows, we can do that at home and much prefer watching the sea and enjoying the outdoors.

Yes the toilet paper is in a bad spot but hardly of consequence and I think you should ignore knit picks like that. What is of consequence is the soot that rains down the aft part of the ship. Princess is well aware of this and is trying to solve it but as of March it was still a big problem to those sitting on the nice terraces, deck 7 side aft, and deck 16 aft, as well as the aft staterooms. Also of consequence of us is that the Retreat pool was hardly protected from the wind and not that usable on sea days. On the Grands this pool, while smaller, is on a lower deck and very protected. The Grands also have a very nice aft pool. Both of these are away from the large and noisy crowds in the middle of the ship.

The bottom line IMO is that you will have to decide if the negatives or the positives are more important to you. For us we prefer the Grand class and will give preference to those for the time being.

I was on the Royal in December and had a great time. Beautiful ship, great food, etc. I had a mini-suite and really like it. I posted an extensive review. Toilet paper holder is a non-issue - not awkward at all. I did miss center stairs and full promenade, but there are so many other lovely things that I loved. Many more positives than negatives - so much so I'm cruising the Royal again soon!

Well just cruised the eurodam and wow that balcony was the smallest I have ever had. we had to go out sideways no room at all. I normally love hal but the eurodam fell short of my expectations. I loved the sister ship niew Amsterdam. We have booked got a fantastic deal we took an obstructed balcony which I don't care and got 200 to spend on board and only had to put 200 deposit down for all three of us. I love sea days and plan to use what the ship have to offer. Hoping not to participate in formals this time around but that could depend on my daughter!

I sailed the Royal last month. I have not done a review yet but I will. (Too busy figuring out next year's cruise, lol) I really enjoyed the ship. Buffet, piazza and enclave were suburb! I don't use a promenade, could care less were the toilet paper is as long as it's there. Lack of pools not an issue for us as we are hot tub people. The thermal pool in the enclave was heavenly! We were in a Midship angled balcony and it was fantastic. A good size balcony is important to me so I just booked far enough ahead to get one. No stairs midship not a problem as I travel with my 88 year old mom who can't use them anyway. Absolutely loved Alfredo's for a bite after an evening show. Would I sail her again? I certainly would! Just look at what she offers and if you don't see a deal breaker than book her! Guess I don't need to do a review now.:D

I sailed the Royal last month. I have not done a review yet but I will. (Too busy figuring out next year's cruise, lol) I really enjoyed the ship. Buffet, piazza and enclave were suburb! I don't use a promenade, could care less were the toilet paper is as long as it's there. Lack of pools not an issue for us as we are hot tub people. The thermal pool in the enclave was heavenly! We were in a Midship angled balcony and it was fantastic. A good size balcony is important to me so I just booked far enough ahead to get one. No stairs midship not a problem as I travel with my 88 year old mom who can't use them anyway. Absolutely loved Alfredo's for a bite after an evening show. Would I sail her again? I certainly would! Just look at what she offers and if you don't see a deal breaker than book her! Guess I don't need to do a review now.:D

Waiting for your review. :D

I, too, was on the trans-Atlantic in October on the Royal. I've sailed on almost every single Princess ship, many of them multiple times, and the Royal has spoiled us. We were on the Sapphire last month and while I have spent many days on her, I missed the buffet, huge Piazza, and the "Wow!" factor throughout the ship. The lack of mid-ship stairs were a pain but I'd never not book a cruise because of stairs or lack thereof. The Promenade was a non-issue as I like to go out there and the Royal certainly has that option. I LOVED being able to check deck plans, Patter events, folio, etc. on my iPhone.

Is the Royal perfect? Nope. But then there's no such thing as a perfect ship. It has many new or improved features to like and overall, the staff on the ship are terrific. I'm looking forward to my cruise on her in September.

I was one the first trans-Atlantic crossing on the Royal and then the first Caribbean sailing. I though it was a stunning ship. The buffet court was the best buffet I have ever seen. Then outside from there they had a huge area with a bar, tables, chairs and couches for you to use while watching the wake. The wine makers dinner was of great value and delish food. The Piazza was the most elegant and stunning of the whole fleet. Did I miss the central staircase, not at all. Did I miss deck 7 going all around, no. In fact I loved the loungers they had in various places on deck 7. Did I care about where the toilet paper holder was. No, it was fine for me. So many people whined even before the ship set sail, I just figured those that whined were the loudest. My only complaint on the Royal was for me it is too big. But would I sail on her again? Absolutely yes.
I was on both those cruises, too. Central staircase and toilet paper holder weren't issues, but I did miss Deck 7 not going all the way around. Still, the Royal is a nice ship and I have a booking on the Regal. All the Princess ships have their pros and cons, but with FCC, military and stockholder OBC, TA discount and elite benefits I am not likely to go any place else. I wish all the Princess ships had a nice wide Promenade Deck going all the way around on one level. I wish they all had an Alfredos, I wish they all had central staircases and sufficient elevators (not that I would use them, but there would be less whining). I wish they all had four small MDRS with different themes. I wish they all had more tables for two. There are lots more things I wish they all had, but I am happy with the things each ship does have when I am sailing on it. Edited by billco

I will post my review ASAP if that will help o.p. ---

To me, if having a complete wrap around is that important, than no, I don't think the Royal is the ship for you. The timing for this cruise is perfect for us, and the 3 ports are important to us. Most of the positives sound wonderful. I think the toilet paper holder complaint is just silly. That would not be a deal breaker for us. I prefer aft to mid ship location, and whatever size the cabin is, for just the two of us, will be fine. I would have liked a bigger balcony, but not a biggy for this trip. I could care less about a center staircase-- so I walk a bit forward or aft if I want to use the stairs-- The only thing that might be a deal breaker for me for Princess in general, is the ridiculousness regarding the sanctuary. The sanctuary type of area IS a big deal to me. I resent that I have to run like a maniac upon boarding to try to reserve loungers there for the week. Chances are I will be shut out (already assume this)--but I will focus on all the other positives. So if the itinerary is right, the price is good, from the reviews that I have read so far, I'm sure we will have a pleasant time, inspite of not having sanctuary.

Edited by Jetswdo

I think the toilet paper holder complaint is just silly.
It's not silly when you consider it awkward rather than a complaint or a reason not to cruise the ship. It also depends on whether you're right-handed or left-handed and which side the holder is. For me, it wasn't a problem except for when it had a brand new roll of TP that wasn't fully round and wouldn't roll. In the middle of the night. I'm right-handed and it was on the left side. I had to get up, turn on the light, and reach down to start the da*m thing rolling which woke me up completely. I didn't think this awkwardness was silly then. :) Other than those times when I had a fresh new roll, it wasn't a problem.

What drove me nuts about the toilet paper was. I just took the toilet

Paper off the roll and just put it on the counter, which is what I do at

Home. Guess I'm too lazy to put the toilet paper on the holder. Every

Time the cabin steward came into the cabin to make it up. He would

Put the roll back on the holder. Ughhhhhhh! :mad: