Kids on Celebrity?

Going on the Eclipse in 18 days for our first ever cruise with my family. We have two girls aged 13 & 8.

Starting to worry now after reading some of these comments that we have picked the right cruise. This is just as much their holiday as it is ours.

They like to get dressed up and eat out and try different things, not just burgers and chips.

Just hope there is things for them to during the day.

Got me worried now.

Dont worry, I am sure you will all love it, our boys have cruised with us on Celebrity and enjoyed the kids club, the pool, the sports deck, and of course all the food! Just do a little research for your port stops, so that you can find stuff to do that will be family orientated, as many have said, it comes down to parenting, I wouldnt let my kids be roaming at night for safety reasons, we have never encountered any issues and my boys are 12 and 16. They have actually made some good friends on board who were adults, and so did we, one of the reasons we continue to love Celebrity. Check out my blog there are a couple of videos and some stuff about cruising with kids, and have a fantastic time!:) p.s if you havent already, maybe join your roll call, so you can 'meet' others on your cruise before you go.

Edited by louise1809

Dont worry, I am sure you will all love it, our boys have cruised with us on Celebrity and enjoyed the kids club, the pool, the sports deck, and of course all the food! Just do a little research for your port stops, so that you can find stuff to do that will be family orientated, as many have said, it comes down to parenting, I wouldnt let my kids be roaming at night for safety reasons, we have never encountered any issues and my boys are 12 and 16. They have actually made some good friends on board who were adults, and so did we, one of the reasons we continue to love Celebrity. Check out my blog there are a couple of videos and some stuff about cruising with kids, and have a fantastic time!:) p.s if you havent already, maybe join your roll call, so you can 'meet' others on your cruise before you go.

Thanks, will have a look today.

well now you can see why this is the most contentious topic...

amazing how so many say they love celebrity because there are less children....while they bring theirs....

and we love celebrity for that very reason....very few kids of any age when we sail....

we took our 15 year old with us...he was bored out of his mind....

here is what his day looked like...

slept till noon, since the "gang" hung out till 3...in nooks and cranies on the ship...one night we went looking for him...

in san juan, he helped some "friends" get back to the ship because they got drunk....

sat up till half the night with a girl who was drunk and crying....

you said SLOOPs post was not factual....well do you want more facts...

had there been the sort of things royal carib offers, he would have been thrilled to take part in that....

dont bring teens or any kids on celebrity and especially not babies and tots....

on every celebrity questionaire, we always write, less kids of any age...even when there have been only 2....since we will only travel off peak kids time....

I encourage others who want an adult only experience to do the same...

celebrity has marketed its ships for an adult demographic....take note...and help it stay that way..

here come the flames....

Are you going to be the one to inform the officers onboard that you do not want them to see their children then?? You do realise a sizable percentage of the children on board belong to the officers!!! Please allow me to be there when YOU tell them you want zero children onboard.

I happen to think we are all entitled to do what we wish.

since this is directed to me, I will answer it...

it is a rhetorical question....

ask me something that isnt...

but besides that, to write so adamantly as I do about not seeing or hearing any kids, I must have had some pretty nasty experiencex...and we have...to the point of being compensated by celebrity...

we have sailed on Celeb over 45 times...and there have been some horrendous experiences , when Celeb would do a promo where kids got on free, or other times when large families just seemed to take over the ship, cant tell you the number of times hot tubs have had to be drained because dumb parents decided to dunk the poor thing in it....or having a crying baby next door to you...I could go on

anyway I think I made my point.....

there was a time when I could only get away peak time....now that is not the case, we do our best to take only longer cruises, never peak time, but even that does not always give us the kid free environment we seek...

I think on one cruise there were only 3 kids that I could see ...why did I notice them, because they were jumping into the pool, clearing it out of adults...who just stood by and hoped the kids would have their fun and they could return..well that did not happen....

yes I told them to stop...of course they continued to have the pool to themselves....a father came up to me and told me to stop harrassing his kids....yes I called staff...

it was upsetting, something I do not want on a cruise..and do my best to avoid ....

friends of ours would never take their grankids on Celeb but have a great time on carnival, royal carib...

they sail Celeb where it is hoped that very few kids continue to be present during the times they should be in school....but with home schooling it is a loosing battle....

I might add one more....we encountered a lot of kids from UK when we did the canary islands....it was their time off....

so well behaved....a pleasure....

the only time I did not say on the questionaire, NO kids on celebrity ships....

now why is that...rhetorical!

Good luck with that, maybe my kids can get compensated for having to deal with unfriendly older adults. For as many unruly kids that ruin your experience, I would wager that there are as many entitled, chair hogging, line cutting, drunken and rude adults that make me uncomfortable and 'ruin' my experience. The difference is that when boarding an environment with 2200 people, I totally expect to encounter a diverse group and will adapt and be responsible for my own experience. No kids - stick to a specialty line. I have two daughters and enjoy the longer itineraries as do they. I just wish I could do it more often.

I've been on about 20 cruises and the issues we've had were all caused by adults.

It was an adult that threw up going through security in port.

It was an adult that vomited in the hot tub.

It was an adult that turned up missing and caused the ship to turn around. (finally responded to calls about 10:30 am)

It was an adult that decided to pole dance during family karaoke.

It was an adult that decided to throw up over the side of the ship right next to my lounge chair.

Typically, it is adults I see saving rows of lounge chairs first thing in the morning.

It is adults I've seen smoking in non smoking areas.

I could add to that list as I'm sure many others could.

I think the bottom line is that child or adult, no one really wants to be exposed to bad behavior. But certainly kids don't have the corner on that market.

since this is directed to me, I will answer it...

it is a rhetorical question....

ask me something that isnt...

but besides that, to write so adamantly as I do about not seeing or hearing any kids, I must have had some pretty nasty experiencex...and we have...to the point of being compensated by celebrity...

we have sailed on Celeb over 45 times...and there have been some horrendous experiences , when Celeb would do a promo where kids got on free, or other times when large families just seemed to take over the ship, cant tell you the number of times hot tubs have had to be drained because dumb parents decided to dunk the poor thing in it....or having a crying baby next door to you...I could go on

anyway I think I made my point.....

there was a time when I could only get away peak time....now that is not the case, we do our best to take only longer cruises, never peak time, but even that does not always give us the kid free environment we seek...

I think on one cruise there were only 3 kids that I could see ...why did I notice them, because they were jumping into the pool, clearing it out of adults...who just stood by and hoped the kids would have their fun and they could return..well that did not happen....

yes I told them to stop...of course they continued to have the pool to themselves....a father came up to me and told me to stop harrassing his kids....yes I called staff...

it was upsetting, something I do not want on a cruise..and do my best to avoid ....

friends of ours would never take their grankids on Celeb but have a great time on carnival, royal carib...

they sail Celeb where it is hoped that very few kids continue to be present during the times they should be in school....but with home schooling it is a loosing battle....

I might add one more....we encountered a lot of kids from UK when we did the canary islands....it was their time off....

so well behaved....a pleasure....

the only time I did not say on the questionaire, NO kids on celebrity ships....

now why is that...rhetorical!

I fill sorry for your nasty experience with kids jumping to pool . (dose not X has adults pool only ?)

I have some rhetorical questions too .

1.Why people choose first raw by the pool and then keep complaining about kids splashing on them .

2. Why people feel free to cut me and my kid in line to elevator just because they older and have stroller ?

3.why some people dance like crazy in evening but next morning use a wheel chair to get before me ashore ?

4.Why some people think they can bring stupid dogs to the restaurant on board ?

WE all can go on and on with questions but we will not find the answer .

cruisejrt....thank you for the good wishes....

as a result of all adults being vigillant for misbehaviour of children on board, Celebrity came out with policy for parents to be responsible for their childs behaviour while on board...we were very pleased to see that statement in the daily....

we were also pleased that when misbehaving children of any age were reported, parents were contacted to look after the problem....

I think topics like this have also helped, those who bring kids of any age on board are aware that adults seeking a quiet are vigillant and will report if their darlings are misbehaving....

the only area that has not seen any change, are those who bring babies and toddlers....it is very difficult for celebrity to monitor that...without openly saying NO ONE under a certain age...I think they do say , no babies under 6 mo...but I could be wrong....

so if you have a crying baby next door, demand to be changed to a diff cabin, if that fails, im sure you know what to do next...

oh there will be those who will now again post all the noisy adults they have travelled with....

yes we do also travel other lines, azamara and oceania...much fewer kids, but some still insist even on those lines, where there is clearly NOTHING for kids....just selfish....

I've been on about 20 cruises and the issues we've had were all caused by adults.

It was an adult that threw up going through security in port.

It was an adult that vomited in the hot tub.

It was an adult that turned up missing and caused the ship to turn around. (finally responded to calls about 10:30 am)

It was an adult that decided to pole dance during family karaoke.

It was an adult that decided to throw up over the side of the ship right next to my lounge chair.

Typically, it is adults I see saving rows of lounge chairs first thing in the morning.

It is adults I've seen smoking in non smoking areas.

I could add to that list as I'm sure many others could.

I think the bottom line is that child or adult, no one really wants to be exposed to bad behavior. But certainly kids don't have the corner on that market.

I have been on 50+ cruises and have never had those experiences. Perhaps you need to either change cruise lines or traveling companions.

as a result of all adults being vigillant for misbehaviour of children on board, Celebrity came out with policy for parents to be responsible for their childs behaviour while on board...we were very pleased to see that statement in the daily....

we were also pleased that when misbehaving children of any age were reported, parents were contacted to look after the problem....

I think topics like this have also helped, those who bring kids of any age on board are aware that adults seeking a quiet are vigillant and will report if their darlings are misbehaving....

the only area that has not seen any change, are those who bring babies and toddlers....it is very difficult for celebrity to monitor that...without openly saying NO ONE under a certain age...I think they do say , no babies under 6 mo...but I could be wrong....

so if you have a crying baby next door, demand to be changed to a diff cabin, if that fails, im sure you know what to do next...

oh there will be those who will now again post all the noisy adults they have travelled with....

yes we do also travel other lines, azamara and oceania...much fewer kids, but some still insist even on those lines, where there is clearly NOTHING for kids....just selfish....

WOW....so crying babies are now a reason to complain?? How about a breathing baby?? How about a crying child?? Or maybe a child is too happy for your liking...will that get me kicked off the ship too??????

I am very tolerant....but you sound like the kind of person who goes out of their way to destroy what is supposed to be a holiday for all!!! You know children are allowed to have holidays right? How would you feel if you took your grandchildren on holiday and were faced with someone with your attitude? Does it not occur to you, that there is always going to be child in the area? ALWAYS. Complaining to guest relations for a crying baby!!! I cannot get over that!! DO you complain when adults are having loud sex too and request to be moved? Most children are very well behaved in my experience. I am taking my 3 on a celebrity cruise next year. Hope your not on that ship. Sorry if this comes across mean, but that is how you come across ref children and I am a mummy. I am truly sorry you have had some tough experience with children, however, that does not mean ALL children behave the same way.I got smacked in the back of my legs by an elderly gentlemen on my last cruise. Does that mean I should assume all elderly will do the same?? Well, of course not. I do hope you have a change of heart. It really is not very fair.

Wow! Selfish ? Why not ? If I can afford to cruise on Oceania with my kids why should I worry about other people and cruise NCL ? You are very funny .

Edited by GOLDENBONNY

Wow. Most of the anti-children on Celebrity most of gone to the Milford School (see the show Arrested Development). The founder's motto was that "children should neither be seen nor heard."

This rearguard action to attempt to preserve Celebrity as something it isn't is a joke. It is a family cruise line.

Wow. Most of the anti-children on Celebrity most of gone to the Milford School (see the show Arrested Development). The founder's motto was that "children should neither be seen nor heard."

This rearguard action to attempt to preserve Celebrity as something it isn't is a joke. It is a family cruise line.

Yes, yes it is. Thank you :D:D

...we took our 15 year old with us...he was bored out of his mind....

here is what his day looked like...

slept till noon, since the "gang" hung out till 3...in nooks and cranies on the ship...one night we went looking for him...

in san juan, he helped some "friends" get back to the ship because they got drunk....

sat up till half the night with a girl who was drunk and crying....

Am I the only one that finds it amazing that the above two posts were made by the same person?

WOW....so crying babies are now a reason to complain??
Got to say yes. I was on a cruise and next door was a baby that cried all night, waking up both of the cabins on either side. When I called down, guest services told me there was no baby in the room. I got no sleep at all that night and the next morning, I ask the cabin steward if there was a baby in the room. She confirmed that there was. The next night, the same thing, the baby cried all night and I got no sleep. I called guest services and told them to call the cabin steward and she would confirm that there was a baby in the room.

Now, here is the funny part. The parents of the baby couldn't get any sleep, because the baby cried all night, so the grandparents (the cabin next to mine) took the baby, so that the parents could get some sleep. Needless to say, the baby return to her proper cabin and I was able to get some sleep the rest of the cruise....the parents not so much.

I don't have an issue with anyone of any age (be it a infant or a 100 year old person), unless what they do has an impact on my cruise experience.

Hey Host Andy can you shut down this silly thread? This is helpful to no-one.

WHY should he or anyone else do that. Crying babies in the middle of the night are a pain in the ears and do not belong on ships. There is a time and place for everything but the time is not as a baby and the place is certainly not on a cruise ship. Leave the babies at home or stay home with them!

WHY should he or anyone else do that. Crying babies in the middle of the night are a pain in the ears and do not belong on ships. There is a time and place for everything but the time is not as a baby and the place is certainly not on a cruise ship. Leave the babies at home or stay home with them!
I hope you didn't misunderstand my post. I have no issue with children of any age on a ship, except when they (just like adults) ruin someone else's cruise by their actions. If this would have happened at a hotel, I would have the same issue.

just to summarize the various flamers ....

yes brought our teen on a cruise...once and no more..he confirmed that there is nothing for teens to do on a celebrity ship, take them and any other kids elsewhere, other than a fun factory and camp, there are no other activities....

if you want your kid in a camp, put them in a camp and have an adult experience for the two of you on a cruise, when was the last time you did that, it will do wonders for your relationship....

yes if there is something that is preventing you from sleeping at night or enjoying your cruise experience report it, celebrity welcomes that and will respond to it...you are helping yourself and others....

as for selfish, some here have said, they take their kids on Celeb because there are less kids .....even though other lines have so many fun things for them....isnt that selfish, who are they doing that for ...for themselves, to have peace and quiet....

that is all any of us want on a cruise holiday.....

Beachchairs the point that you seem to be missing is that while your son hated cruising and/or Celebrity cruises; there are many other children who love cruising and prefer Celebrity to the other "funship" cruises.

Not every child wants waterslides and flowriders and rock climbing walls.

Celebrity has created a cruising environment that is attractive to families and we chose to give them our vacation dollars. All the griping in the world isn't going to change that. Keep putting "no kids" on your questionnaire. and see if it makes a difference. I think Celebrity is happy marketing to families like me and taking our money and they are willing to lose the odd complainer who doesn't like it. When Celebrity stops offering children's programs and 3/4 pax free; then they will be sending a loud and clear message that children aren't wanted on Celebrity and we will have to take our vacation dollars elsewhere. But that hasn't happened and I doubt its going to.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

we book with Celebrity as we were told they didn't "encourage" children :)

We know they cant say No and that RCCL, NCL, carnival disney etc were much more suited to children and hoped that parents would choose them to suit the children.

It isn't that I don't like kids but I work with them daily so on vacation I want peace and quiet and as as few kids as possible. So far on celebrity this has worked for us. We are just off Eclipse and there were very few children. We tend to sail in Sept in the hope they are all at school though some parents obviously take their children out of school at this time which just shocks me as it is the start of their school year.

have never yet met a child who would say No to climbing walls, skating rinks, a very child friendly environment...given the option.....so why not give them the option....

perhaps kids should experience this kind of enviroment first and then if they tell their parents they prefer to go back to a fun factory , a parent should begin to be concerned.....

I can get away with taking my 3 aged 11, 9 and 6 when we sail, on this occasion on a Celebrity Cruise because it is their first and they know no difference. It is an 11 day cruise. They will have plenty of ports to visit and the kids club any other day. My theory was this: I like the itinerary, and REALLY liked the price. So for 1 time only I can get away with it. Until they finish school after this 1, it will be Royal Carribbean. That is my choice and is not influenced by any other option.

HOWEVER, I have enough respect for my fellow.passengers choices to instill in my children the need for very good public behaviour

have never yet met a child who would say No to climbing walls, skating rinks, a very child friendly environment...given the option.....so why not give them the option....

perhaps kids should experience this kind of enviroment first and then if they tell their parents they prefer to go back to a fun factory , a parent should begin to be concerned.....

Perhaps it was because we were on the s class Eclipse and they don't have the ice-rink, climbing wall etc we felt it wasn't really great for kids.