Disappointed but not rccl

In any case, you are not the parent, and the job of guiding the child to academic excellence is the parents'...

Well, I said the same thing earlier but no one took me on. Not sure if the parents are involved in the young man's life. Anyway, none of our business. It seems kind of weird to be discussing it here. :( :cool:

Well, I said the same thing earlier but no one took me on. Not sure if the parents are involved in the young man's life. Anyway, none of our business. It seems kind of weird to be discussing it here. :( :cool:

Yeah, I don't know why everybody is feeling the need to give the parenting advice when this isn't even the OP's child... They were venting not looking for random cruisers advice on discipline, they were venting. Apparently everybody thinks they are a model parent and have the right solution :rolleyes:.

OP- hope you come up with a solution that enables you to take the cruise!

When I was a Senior my Grandparents invited me to go with them to Hawaii as a Graduation Present. I have always been an A student for the most part with one or two B's. As I recall I had one final assignment and I was so excited to be Graduating with my class that I had it turned in a week before final exams.

I enjoyed my Prom knowing I had good grades not worrying about if I would not be graduating with my class.

Two years ago my Grandmother passed away and I'm so glad I enjoyed trips with them to Hawaii.

I would have your nephew go to the teacher and see what it is he is not getting. I really think he needs to learn the hard way that school comes before vacations.

If I were doing this as a gift to a High School Senior I would have waited until they graduated from High School rather than plan a trip like this one not knowing if he or she is going to make the grade. I know this is hindsight 20/20 but this at least puts you at ease knowing that he or she has graduated. Even if the trip were a few months away from the actual graduation.

Just my 2 cents.

I am so frustrated. I was planning on taking my nephew on his first cruise(Allure) as a graduation present. There was one thing he had do and that was be passing all his classes on April 1st. If not, told him that I would cancel him.

Well report cards are coming out and sure enough he is failing one of his main subjects and might NOT graduate.

To me there is absolutely no excuse for this and now I am debating on cancelling the extra room we were staying in or trying to get someone else to take his spot. I have one week to decide.

I am ticked off as I have been making payment for over a year and now this. I don't understand kids today.

sorry I had to vent

Can you be my Uncle? I'll graduate in May from college with a 3.6-3.7 GPA, while working 40+ hours a week at work. :D:D:D:D

wow, I am so happy that I can have some more adopted nieces and nephews.

as someone has mentioned that this was a venting post. I guess I was looking forward to this much more than he was.

I currently have a some friends that might hop on the reservation. If not it will be an early Birthday/Christmas gift for someone in the family.

We did a cruise 2 years ago with friends for the first time and it was great. All of our cruises up to that point was just us which was fun but adding friends gives it a new dimension.

wow, I am so happy that I can have some more adopted nieces and nephews.

as someone has mentioned that this was a venting post. I guess I was looking forward to this much more than he was.

I currently have a some friends that might hop on the reservation. If not it will be an early Birthday/Christmas gift for someone in the family.

We did a cruise 2 years ago with friends for the first time and it was great. All of our cruises up to that point was just us which was fun but adding friends gives it a new dimension.

Whatever the outcome of this is don't let it ruin your trip. Make sure you relax and kickback, sounds like you are more stressed over this than he is.

High school is a war zone. Not like it was back in the day. Kids schmooze for marks and treat their teachers out for dinner to splain away missed assignments. Maybe this kid doesn't know how to schmooze for marks or isn't sophisticated enough to know how to invite Ol' Teach out for a prime rib dinner.

<snip>

And I thought the UK education system was corrupt with grade inflation; political interference and favouritism etc..

I have never been offered a prime rib dinner by a student of mine and would not dream of accepting one (notwithstanding my students would not be my first choice of dinner companions:rolleyes:)

Or have I just bitten? (checks date of post - not April 1st...)

I am so frustrated. I was planning on taking my nephew on his first cruise(Allure) as a graduation present. There was one thing he had do and that was be passing all his classes on April 1st. If not, told him that I would cancel him.

Well report cards are coming out and sure enough he is failing one of his main subjects and might NOT graduate.

To me there is absolutely no excuse for this and now I am debating on cancelling the extra room we were staying in or trying to get someone else to take his spot. I have one week to decide.

I am ticked off as I have been making payment for over a year and now this. I don't understand kids today.

sorry I had to vent

That is a personal issue and choice.... you should not take parenting advice from a cruising board, with all due respect. Each kid has their own issues and we cannot measure them all with one yard stick so to say. What works with one may not work with the other. And teens are a special "handle with care" cateogry if you know what I mean... a little love and a little tough love and a LOT of understanding!

If you decide to stand by your word to him, you can either take someone else in his place or cruise solo. Single supplement and all will apply. And if you wish to take him, then do so, but it is entirely your decision to make.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

I'm in a similar situation with my son but it's for his surprise 16th birthday. Since I booked in August, I devised a plan. His birthday is May 28th. On the 28of every month since August we have given him a "clue" to his birthday present along with a talk about the importance of education. I have access to his grades online and when I see a slip - I assign more work at home to do along with meet/email with the teacher to see what the issue is. He did receive a failing grade and I almost called off the cruise myself but after more research and my son fighting to prove he turned in his work, I didn't call it off. I did say should he not pass at the last minute, I would cancel the dolphin excursion and his money for the arcade would be taken away. Boys can be such a challenge at times with school work but they will get it together - eventually. Good luck!:)

So a "D" would have gotten him a cruise and he didn't even get that? His parents would let him go if you said you would take him with an "F"? I'm not even going to give my opinion. It wouldn't make any difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I feel sad for the kid tbh that he only gets to spend time on a trip with his uncle if he gets good grades at school

Perhaps he's just not academic and school doesn't suit him. It didn't suit me but I run a successful business now and have a passion for learning that I didn't have when it was forced on me

Maybe he isn't excited by the cruise so it's not working as an incentive

But good grades were the condition so you're going to have to follow through this time

But next time make the offer of getting to spend time away with you unconditional. Otherwise he might stop wanting to 'fight for the right' to spend time with you in future and you both lose out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I thought the UK education system was corrupt with grade inflation; political interference and favouritism etc..

I have never been offered a prime rib dinner by a student of mine and would not dream of accepting one (notwithstanding my students would not be my first choice of dinner companions:rolleyes:)

Or have I just bitten? (checks date of post - not April 1st...)

Don't believe everything you read, or at least don't believe such things are the norm.

[quote name='hansolosmom']I would try and find out what the problem is - if he's passing his other classes, there may be something about this particular pclass which is an issue.
For example, my son is taking AP chem & has a horrible teacher. I've seen the class notes the man gives and the emails he sends to the kids, he doesn't actually teach so the kids are working in a group & pretty much teaching themselves the material & none of the kids are really doing well in the class. [/quote]

So true. I had two college professors like that. Just awful. Failed one of the classes (taught by the head of the dept who just didn't care anymore), and withdrew-while-passing from the other, because the curve was so frightening I was getting 50% on everything and had a B-. I asked how to learn more, and the lecherous teacher (well known creepy guy) just wanted me to have study sessions with him. Ick.

Took both courses from different teachers and both understood the coursework AND passed them!

I studied my rear off for both of those classes even while failing...studied more, actually, than I did when I had a better teacher and better books. It wasn't a failing of mine that I wasn't doing well. Not in any way.

[quote name='Happy_Girl']I feel sad for the kid tbh that he only gets to spend time on a trip with his uncle if he gets good grades at school
/quote]

Wowzers is that a good point.

And I, too, figure that the kid doesn't isn't into the concept of a cruise.