OBC from your TA

mcdkaty

Giving travel agents names aren't allowed on the board. $100 obc is woefully inadaquate. For example, last week I booked the Christmas/New Years cruise on Princess, to Hawaii. I paid $229 p.p. less than booking it through Princess. I also got $300 obc versus the $75 that the cruise line offered. This was on a price of $3630 for the two of us. I've been doing this awhile so I have about four online TAs that I used. They all offered a lower price plus more obc. It takes some work to find them but most of the time the reward is worth it. If you do your due dilligence, the risk is miniscule. If you need the comfort of being able to talk to someone 24/7, then use the cruise line and leave the extra money on the table.

That's why I asked if someone would/could PM it to me. Or wait, is that not allowed either? What about mail? (it's my username at me dot com)

I don't need someone 24/7, but if something goes wrong would like to be able to get in touch with someone relatively easily. Otherwise, I can be fairly self sufficient. I mean, look at this case. I booked the cruise myself, booked the airfare myself (well through the cruise line but still), etc. I'm not above doing that work and transferring as long as the OBC is worth it.

Today I googled and googled and found sites/agencies, but not that up front disclose OBC. I guess I have to actually make contact?? I'm not sure what I'd say in that case. I mean, obviously the truth, but I'm just not sure if I'll get laughed into next year or not.

Anyone know if the warehouse store(s) with travel departments will do transfers?

You are accurate as far as the Loyalty program, but there is much more than that. At Christmas, they sold $500 gift cards (max 2), that could be given as gifts or used for final payment. With each card came an extra $100 card that you could be used as a combineable obc. Also at the time they were announced as the Chairman's Award winner, on Celebrity, they gave another combinable $100 obc for each cruise. That' plus their generous obc allowed me to get $1,000 obc for the B2B in October. Did I mention the $700 p.p. I paid less because they had group rates on both cruises? Is giving all this up for the opportunity to talk to someone 24/7 worth it?? I don't think so.

I like everyone else, have to wait for them to call me back, sometimes several hours. One thing in their favor though, is they will call you back the same day. I've gotten called in AZ when it's 9-10 pm in New Hampshire. After booking I am given a direct number of a CS rep if I have any problems or qustions. How has it worked? I don't know, I do all my communicating via e-mail.

Talk to someone right away or save a ton of money, everybody make's their own choice and I'll go with the money everytime.

Your little blurb about what time it was from where they were calling confirmed my suspicions ;)

Now to make contact.

I do all of my own research and make my own decisions so I only use the TA for making the booking. I usually get OBC of around 10% (we book upper end suites). The good thing is with the TA's OBC, if we don't use it, it gets credited back to our credit card.

Probably the same online TA we use - generally the 10% credit is the rule, even for lower cabin categories, if you watch for their sales/promotions. This is in addition to any cruise line promotions & credits. They sometimes also throw in free gratuities. All in all, much better than a bottle of wine! There are some disadvantages, such as a cancellation/change fee ($50-$100 per person, though it may be waived depending on circumstances) and limited weekend availability, though that is changing.

Went to the big online place in NH that everyone alluded to. They too said only $100 OBC, but they are offering to prepay gratuities. Since we are suite guarantee it would be $15.50x2 for 7 days. Or $217. Plus the $100. Definitely a better deal than previously, but still not as good as some of you mentioned. The agent I spoke with said that was the absolute best that she could do for us.

I gotta figure out how some of you are coming in with 3 4 5 even 1K bucks in OBC. lol. Clearly, I have a lot to learn. hahahahaha

Went to the big online place in NH that everyone alluded to. They too said only $100 OBC, but they are offering to prepay gratuities. Since we are suite guarantee it would be $15.50x2 for 7 days. Or $217. Plus the $100. Definitely a better deal than previously, but still not as good as some of you mentioned. The agent I spoke with said that was the absolute best that she could do for us.

I gotta figure out how some of you are coming in with 3 4 5 even 1K bucks in OBC. lol. Clearly, I have a lot to learn. hahahahaha

The law of supply and demand is the ultimate arbiter of prices and perks/bennies/OBC being offered. If cabin sales are AHEAD of projections, prices rise and perks decrease, if sales are BEHIND projections, the opposite will happen. ;)

The NH place you went does an outstanding job, ESPECIALLY with Celebrity. That's why they have reps on a fair number of Celebrity Cruises. I will ALWAYS check with them about future bookings. The other place that I consult has something called the 90 day ticker. That's pretty good, too.

Edited by teecee60

hahahaha

so basically, i need to cruise in the off season (thought with a Dec cruise I had that covered, but guess not) and go where others aren't?

I read above that the TA Reflection had some great rates and OBC's. Yet, I would have thought that cruise would have been in demand.

They didn't have any group rates on that cruise either. I asked her for sailings in May that had group rates, but she said she'd get back to me. I don't guess she thought I was serious.

We typically get anywhere between 8-12 percent of the commissionable fare rebated back to us by our on line TA in the form of OBC's. And once we did even better because the agency had some sort of additional group rate that gave us an even better deal.

We do all the work, our on line TA books it for us and sometimes re-prices our cabin or changes our cabin when the price structures change.

We figure that it works out to about one free cruise for every ten or twelve sailings. And that is far better than any of those cruise line frequent customer benefit that we get.

Every cruise, is not always on sale. I get my big savings because I'm flexible. Except for transatlantics, I might have a three month window to find a cruise at a great price, with even better perks. If I can't find, what I consider a good deal, I don't go.

Every cruise, is not always on sale. I get my big savings because I'm flexible. Except for transatlantics, I might have a three month window to find a cruise at a great price, with even better perks. If I can't find, what I consider a good deal, I don't go.

Ahhh. Yes, that makes sense. And of course, I have some wiggle room, but not a ton. Generally, I have to have made my decision by 90 days before the beginning of the month (ex: if I want to travel in September, I need to have made the decision by June) just because of patient load/flow. It's hard on them (my patients I mean) if I reschedule; not to mention not extremely professional, so I am never able to do a last minute thing per say. This December trip just came about spur of the moment, but I had to pick a cruise that left within time off that was already allocated for, if that makes sense.

Do you generally also start that 3 month window of shopping for a cruise pretty close to final payment/sailing, or do you find that you've been able to still score some deals a bit further out?

Ahhh. Yes, that makes sense. And of course, I have some wiggle room, but not a ton. Generally, I have to have made my decision by 90 days before the beginning of the month (ex: if I want to travel in September, I need to have made the decision by June) just because of patient load/flow. It's hard on them (my patients I mean) if I reschedule; not to mention not extremely professional, so I am never able to do a last minute thing per say. This December trip just came about spur of the moment, but I had to pick a cruise that left within time off that was already allocated for, if that makes sense.

Do you generally also start that 3 month window of shopping for a cruise pretty close to final payment/sailing, or do you find that you've been able to still score some deals a bit further out?

I'm constantly looking. We usually do 3-5 cruises a year, but nothing in the summer. I have a price in mind. When I find that price, I check air, and if that's reasonable, I book it. The B2B we are doing, on the Equinox, in October, I booked in January. I still follow the price and it's only gone up. Most of the time, it's 2-4 months out. I've been able to snag some great deals, after final payment. I booked the April transatlantc, 15 days on the Silhouette, about 4 weeks before sailing, for $900 p.p. for a regular balcony. The air, on Choice Air hadn't changed for six months.I got prepaid gratuities from the above mentioned TA, and also $150 obc ($50 Loyalty and $100 gift card from Agent). Some of that obc was credited back to my credit card since we didn't spend it all.

Nine out of our last ten cruises have been on RCL or Celebrity. The travel agent has been their top seller for the last couple of years and have a great relationship with them. Also being Elite Plus on Celebrity and Diamond on RCL, the perks blow every other line out of the water. I reached these levels after four cruises on Celebrity, before they changed the way they calculate it.

Except for the Oasis, Allure, and Christmas/New Years cruises, I have never paid mor than $100 p.p., per day, for a balcony, and alwys have gotten obcs worth more than 10% of what I paid.

I'm constantly looking. I have a price in mind. When I find that price, I check air, and if that's reasonable, I book it. Most of the time, it's 2-4 months out. I've been able to snag some great deals, after final payment. I booked the April transatlantc, 15 days on the Silhouette, about 4 weeks before sailing, for $900 p.p. for a regular balcony. The air, on Choice Air hadn't changed for six months.I got prepaid gratuities from the above mentioned TA, and also $150 obc ($50 Loyalty and $100 gift card from Agent). Some of that obc was credited back to my credit card since we didn't spend it all.

Nine out of our last ten cruises have been on RCL or Celebrity. The travel agent has been their top seller for the last couple of years and have a great relationship with them. Also being Elite Plus on Celebrity and Diamond on RCL, the perks blow every other line out of the water. I reached these levels after four cruises on Celebrity, before they changed the way they calculate it.

Except for the Oasis, Allure, and Christmas/New Years cruises, I have never paid mor than $100 p.p., per day, for a balcony, and alwys have gotten obcs worth more than 10% of what I paid.

I have some wiggle room, but not a ton. Generally, I have to have made my decision by 90 days before the beginning of the month, so I am never able to do a last minute thing. This December trip just came about spur of the moment, but I had to pick a cruise that left within time off that was already allocated for, if that makes sense.

Grandgeezer has some absolutely fantastic advise above. Anytime you can get a balcony on Celebrity for under $100/day ya done good. I only do insides and never pay more than $50/day, (sometimes only $35) and like grandgeezer, that is the price BEFORE the OBC. ;)

It's unfortunate that you don't have more flexibility, but there IS another possibility...

You could schedule your FUTURE time off, for those periods that are known to be prone to bargains. Late Apr/early May for E/B transatlantics, early Sep for Alaska, and late Sep/Oct/early Nov for W/B transatlantics. :cool:

The BEST deals are quite often after final payment, just got a last minute deal on the 23 night Century to Australia for $799pp with $250 OBC. Return flight from Sydney to LAX through Choice Air was only $619.

You CAN get pretty good deals further in advance, I booked the 15 night October W/B Reflection transatlantic back in May for $649pp with $350 OBC.

Make it a hobby, 5-10 minutes a day on the net, scanning for deals, can save you THOUSANDS.

Edited by teecee60

Grandgeezer has some absolutely fantastic advise above. Anytime you can get a balcony on Celebrity for under $100/day ya done good. I only do insides and never pay more than $50/day, (sometimes only $35) and like grandgeezer, that is the price BEFORE the OBC. ;)

It's unfortunate that you don't have more flexibility, but there IS another possibility...

You could schedule your FUTURE time off, for those periods that are known to be prone to bargains. Late Apr/early May for E/B transatlantics, early Sep for Alaska, and late Sep/Oct/early Nov for W/B transatlantics. :cool:

The BEST deals are quite often after final payment, just got a last minute deal on the 23 night Century to Australia for $799pp with $250 OBC. Return flight from Sydney to LAX through Choice Air was only $619.

You CAN get pretty good deals further in advance, I booked the 15 night October W/B Reflection transatlantic back in May for $649pp with $350 OBC.

Make it a hobby, 5-10 minutes a day on the net, scanning for deals, can save you THOUSANDS.

A man, or woman, after my own heart.

Hi Everyone- I wanted to see what people were getting from their TA for booking with them. We booked a group of 8 for a Med cruise (13nights) through a TA and it seems like we are not getting a lot in return-so I wanted to check and see what others were getting.

Thanks

Every TA can be different, just keep checking.

If an offer is less than eight percent I ask if there is any additional benefit, sometimes. Often I am just happy.

For those of you shopping around, I also want to know the consequences of transferring the booking to another date or canceling. This can cost you a couple of hundred dollars so I like to go in eyes wide open.

There are sometimes that I feel I may change and generally I will take less to not have some type of TA's fine. I also like to know more about a lines policies before I book and usually know more than some agents.

There is an agent who also will discount at final payment and in my book that is nicer than Obc, which I always spend, I have never brought any back.

The best we did was crazy good and likely impossible now, $1200 Obc plus drinks and Grats. This was between celebrity and TA.

To you all who are getting the great perks and OBC, do you negotiate for them, or does the TA just offer them to you? I must be doing something wrong!

If you are booking directly with the cruise line... booking a future cruise while on board a current cruise... booking a cruise with anything less than 100% expectation of going on it... *I* would say YES, you are doing something wrong... :o

But if those actions work for YOU that's great...everyone has different wants/needs/priorities/circumstances/preferences. :cool:

If, as stated in your post, you are thinking you are "doing something wrong," then maybe it's time to change what, or the way, you're doing it. ;)

"Try to get yourself a bargain girl, don't ya be sold on the very first one... You better shop around!"

The best I ever did was last fall's 15 night Reflection T/A for $449pp with $250 OBC. PLUS my one way Delta ticket to Rome through Choice Air was only $508.

Edited by teecee60

You guys have offered us deal newbies some great advice, and I really appreciate it!

I am a deal shopper in all aspects of my life, so I feel like it obviously has to translate into vacation too. I think what I will do is what teecee60 recommended, start blocking the time now that I think I'll want to sail and shop for a deal that fits within that criteria.

I kind of did that with this cruise, but made the mistake of jumping on the suite guarantee before final payment. So far, the price has not gone down; so hopefully that does not change. It'll be a while before I can jump on a 23 day vacation (only 19 more years until I can possibly retire....though I'll likely stay in practice longer if only to help fund my travel ;) ) but I'm inspired by that deal he/she caught. That's exactly what I'm looking for. And then $350 OBC to boot! Yes, please! :D

So now for the experts, if my next trip (well next unplanned, I have a trip in 2 weeks to London and a Feb cruise already planned) is slotted for May...and I CAN NOT take a T/A- can't be gone from the practice that long- what else could/might be on sale around that time? Alaska? Bermuda? I'm looking at either of the last two weeks of May, but I can be flexible.

Supply and demand: there are far more cruise ships sailing from Florida, hence the lower costs as they all vie for the same business.

Check out the prices on both sides of the pond before you book, taking into account OBC credit offered from TAs etc. The cruise comparison sites are your friend to initially see the difference in costs between the currencies. As I've stated previously, Connections parties are a great way to find a good US TA from fellow pax recommendations. There shouldn't be a problem with booking an X or Royal cruise through a US TA as it is permitted (Princess and HAL are a different story). You can book onboard, receive the cruise line promotions, and have the booking transferred to your US TA (enabling further perks to be added) ;).

On our next cruise, the price difference by booking in the States was £600 cheaper than booking over here (and we received a small amount of OBC). We've been using the same US TA for quite a few years now (always receive additional OBC), however, I always check the deals/promotions being offered over here too ;).

Thanks for the tips...wow! £600 cheaper...that's worth the time and effort in checking out the comparison sites...

We've not got any other cruise planned yet as on countdown to solstice in January, but will definitely consider using a US TA in future.

Amanda

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Rebating Policies... albeit a bit dated and may be superseded

Celebrity Cruises

Formal policy? Yes

Payment required: Net price at final payment time, if full payment is made with a travel agency's check. Gross price, when clients pay by credit card.

Advertising: No agent or agencies may advertise, market, promote or sell below published or contracted pricing programs. The dollar amount or percentage of value-adds may not be advertised, with the exception of onboard credits.

Cash value-adds: Any and all rebating or incentive programs (value adds) that can be converted to cash or currency, such as a gift card or gift check, are prohibited, except when an incentive program and incentive-related materials are pre-approved in writing by a vice president. For onboard credits, maximum thresholds per stateroom are: three to five nights, $50; six to nine nights, $200 ; 10 or more nights, $250.

Non-cash value-adds: The value or perceived value of the item(s) may not exceed 10% of the value of the cruise, that is, the cruise fare plus NCCF.

Non-adherence consequences: Agencies or agents in violation will be subject to a reduction in co-op support and/or other consequences, including but not limited to a reduction in base commission on future cruises booked.

Just back from a 12 day Baltic on HAL:

About a $5K suite (pp)

1. $1150 OBC

2. dinner in Pinnacle

3. "free" drink package

DW does the booking - don't ask me how she did it - I have no clue :confused:

JK

The law of supply and demand is the ultimate arbiter of prices and perks/bennies/OBC being offered. If cabin sales are AHEAD of projections, prices rise and perks decrease, if sales are BEHIND projections, the opposite will happen. ;)

The NH place you went does an outstanding job, ESPECIALLY with Celebrity. That's why they have reps on a fair number of Celebrity Cruises. I will ALWAYS check with them about future bookings. The other place that I consult has something called the 90 day ticker. That's pretty good, too.

I know that cc doesn't allow travel agency names to be shared, but I am at a loss as to how to find this NH agency. If someone would PM me or email me at lheisel at gmail dot com I'd appreciate it!!