bringing water onto ship

I have read in some older posts that you could bring a case of water with you, put a luggage tag on it and it would be delivered to your room. I've not found that on any of the newer posts. Is this still allowed?

YES, we live in the Ft. Lauderdale area so did not have to worry about luggage charges for a flight. We went on the Oasis a few weeks ago. We placed a case of water (shrink wraped) in a suitcase and had no problem. Brought to our cabin with our other luggage.

If you are going on the Oasis (or even if you are not), see my review by clicking the link below

HAVE FUN ON YOUR CRUISE!!

Do you have to put it in a suitcase, or can you just put the luggage tag directly on the case of water?

You will increase the odds of getting it on board if you put it in a suitcase.

I always bring about 20 bottles in a soft side cooler, and never had a problem. I haven't seen just the case of water lately. Most people put it in something. I would also have a bag just for the water. If it's mixed with other things or clothes, you may get called to the naughty room.

I just came back from a two-week sailing on Legend OTS, and they allowed us to take a 24-pack of bottled water through in our checked luggage. (We probably could've brought more, but we didn't want to push our luck.) In two of the ports we visited, I asked the folks working the security area by the gangway if I could carry a case of water back onboard with me, and they said yes. They let me right through with it when I returned.

They do sell Evian bottled water onboard, but it's ridiculously expensive:

8 bottles for $28

12 bottles for $40

16 bottles for $50

24 bottles for $71

You will increase the odds of getting it on board if you put it in a suitcase.

100% agree. I always put it in a carryon. Never had a problem

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

March 30th: I slapped a luggage tag on a 24 pack of bottled water. Handed it to the dockside porter. The water arrived outside my cabin about 3 hours before the suitcases. Heck it was there before we were able to reach our cabin. The porter didn't bat an eye, so I'm guessing this happens a LOT.

What bottle capacity are people getting onboard? Multipack of 2 litre bottles ok or need to keep them at the smaller 500ml?

Don't think there's any difference. We brought a 24 pack of 500ml bottles a few weeks ago on Enchantment.

Consider bringing on a water bottle to refill rather than bottles of water. The water on the ship has been flash evaporated, condensed, through a reverse osmosis unit and carbon filter. The water is so pure they have to add a few minerals to it to keep it from leaching minerals out of your body. Just take a water bottle on board and fill it in your room or at any bar. That will save you a lot of time and trouble.

Consider bringing on a water bottle to refill rather than bottles of water. The water on the ship has been flash evaporated, condensed, through a reverse osmosis unit and carbon filter. The water is so pure they have to add a few minerals to it to keep it from leaching minerals out of your body. Just take a water bottle on board and fill it in your room or at any bar. That will save you a lot of time and trouble.

I second that comment. I have one like this, http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Nissan-Intak-Hydration-Bottle/dp/B001EGGQB6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397135573&sr=8-1&keywords=thermos+water+bottle and i like it. I also have a few of these, http://www.amazon.com/Klean-Kanteen-Stainless-Brushed-27-Ounce/dp/B0093IRGZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397135613&sr=8-1&keywords=kleen+kanteen

It is lighter to carry an empty bottle, and then fill it on the ship. Less waste as well.

I bring my water bottle with a filter. I can fill it from anywhere and even add ice. It adds no weight. I just carry it on empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Consider bringing on a water bottle to refill rather than bottles of water. The water on the ship has been flash evaporated, condensed or through a reverse osmosis unit and maybe through a carbon filter. The water is so pure they have to add a few minerals to it to keep it from leaching minerals out of your body. Just take a water bottle on board and fill it in your room or at any bar. That will save you a lot of time and trouble.

I've added the words in red to your comments as not all ship's water goes through all of these treatments in the purification and desalination of sea water. For the first two it's one or the other and for the last one, carbon filter, it's likely only at drink stations and water fountains and not happening with the water out of the cabin's tap.

I know from my research that the use on cruise ships of Reverse Osmosis to supplement Waste Engine Heat Distillation (evaporated and condensed process) to provide the ship's water from sea water can result in that water having a high sodium content so I tend to drink low sodium bottle water while onboard as I have hypertension. Reverse Osmosis is more likely to be used on itineraries with close together port stops like the Eastern Caribbean out of San Juan where there isn't a lot of sail time and distance between the ports and less likely to be used on a TA cruise where there is lots of waste heat available from the engines to operate the water distillation units with the long distances the ship is covering.

I bring my water bottle with a filter. I can fill it from anywhere and even add ice. It adds no weight. I just carry it on empty.

Portable water filters, like Brita, do not remove sodium ions from water. They basically remove suspended matter with filtration and have activated carbon to remove some of the organic matter that provide for bad taste and color but aren't really that effective in doing this with the very short contact time the water has with the activated carbon which doesn't allow sufficient time for the absorption of the organic matter. What these are very effective at is in the removal or gassing off of the small amount of chlorine disinfectant added to the water as carbon acts as a catalyst that causes the chlorine to gas off immediately. Activated carbon with its very high surface area to weight ratio is very effective for removal of chlorine which many associate with bad tasting water. If you have a very sensitive nose you may get a slight chlorine odour from the water being passed thought the filter but it will taste better without that chlorine in it.

Many associate the swelling they experience onboard with the high salt content of the food, which is typically correct, but there's a good chance that the ship's water has a high sodium content also if Reverse Osmosis is the primary method of desalination of sea water.;)

Edited by robtulipe

I am going to test this out on the Oasis next month. I dont need 24 pack of water I want to bring maybe a 6-12 pack.. just to see. and if they take it from me its only a few dollars i wont be too upset

I've added the words in red to your comments as not all ship's water goes through all of these treatments in the purification and desalination of sea water. For the first two it's one or the other and for the last one, carbon filter, it's likely only at drink stations and water fountains and not happening with the water out of the cabin's tap.

I know from my research that the use on cruise ships of Reverse Osmosis to supplement Waste Engine Heat Distillation (evaporated and condensed process) to provide the ship's water from sea water can result in that water having a high sodium content so I tend to drink low sodium bottle water while onboard as I have hypertension. Reverse Osmosis is more likely to be used on itineraries with close together port stops like the Eastern Caribbean out of San Juan where there isn't a lot of sail time and distance between the ports and less likely to be used on a TA cruise where there is lots of waste heat available from the engines to operate the water distillation units with the long distances the ship is covering.

Sodium and organics do not carry over to the produced water in a flash evaporator. It probably comes from the remineralization process.

Portable water filters, like Brita, do not remove sodium ions from water. They basically remove suspended matter with filtration and have activated carbon to remove some of the organic matter that provide for bad taste and color but aren't really that effective in doing this with the very short contact time the water has with the activated carbon which doesn't allow sufficient time for the absorption of the organic matter. What these are very effective at is in the removal or gassing off of the small amount of chlorine disinfectant added to the water as carbon acts as a catalyst that causes the chlorine to gas off immediately. Activated carbon with its very high surface area to weight ratio is very effective for removal of chlorine which many associate with bad tasting water. If you have a very sensitive nose you may get a slight chlorine odour from the water being passed thought the filter but it will taste better without that chlorine in it.

Many associate the swelling they experience onboard with the high salt content of the food, which is typically correct, but there's a good chance that the ship's water has a high sodium content also if Reverse Osmosis is the primary method of desalination of sea water.;)

Sodium and organics do not carry over to the produced water in a flash evaporator. It probably comes from the remineralization process.

I agree that sodium ions doesn't get carried over to in the waste engine heat desalination distillation or the flash evaporator/condensation process as you call it but it does with Reverse Osmosis desalination. That is why I said it might be a problem as RO is more likely to be used on itineraries with many close together port stops itineraries.

Some organics compounds do get carried over in a evaporator/condensation process as this is what happens in the distillation of whiskey and other alcohols products. Google the term azeotropes and you will see that some water soluble organics/water mixtures have a lower boiling point or temperature than any of the individual pure components so these get carried over as a mixture in the distillation process. Also any pure organic compound with a boiling point lower than H2O will be carried over.

Edited by robtulipe

Further to my comments above as imy post got submitted early unexpectedly and I didn't have enough time to complete it with the edit function.

The good news is that sea water contain mostly dissolved mineral compounds and very little soluble organics so those commercial activated carbon filter on the water lines at the drink stations and water fountains should help to remove any of the little organic compounds that does get through when the ship is using either desalination processes for their fresh water supply. Like I mentioned in my earlier comments about the portable consumer filters these activated carbon filters likely are there to remove the chlorine from the drinking water.

I would definitely refill a water bottle from these beverage stations, using a clean glass or paper cup as a transfer vessel of course, and not from the cabin bathroom tap but then again there still might be high amounts of sodium in the water in your refillable bottle if the ship is using mostly the RO process for its fresh water.;)

Edited by robtulipe