Choice of Alaska cruises

bigandlil

We are considering two different cruises. One is August goes to Tracy Arm; one in mid-September goes to Glacier Bay NP.

Given the differences in weather and itinerary, which should we choose?

Thanks.

If those are your ONLY choices, I would pick the one in August. Longer daylight, better chance of good weather.

My real choice would be Glacier Bay in August....one-way, north or southbound.

Edited by thinfool

We are considering two different cruises. One is August goes to Tracy Arm; one in mid-September goes to Glacier Bay NP.

Given the differences in weather and itinerary, which should we choose?

Weather will be better in August but Glacier Bay is better than Tracy Arm. Hard to pick. I think that even though Glacier Bay is the better sight, mid-September is cutting it too close to really cold weather. If you don't mind the cold, then I'd take the September cruise.

Weather will be better in August but Glacier Bay is better than Tracy Arm. Hard to pick. I think that even though Glacier Bay is the better sight, mid-September is cutting it too close to really cold weather. If you don't mind the cold, then I'd take the September cruise.

I would be more concerned with bad storms (severe wind, strong rain) than cold. I can tolerate cold but there have been some really bad storms that have kept the ship at dock in Whittier for days due to weather.

I would find a date that doesn't include September and includes Glacier Bay.

Edited by Coral

If you've been before and seen Glacier Bay, you'd probably miss seeing it again and subbing Tracy Arm. But Tracy Arm has its own charms. The shear cliffs and waterfalls are spectacular even before you get within sight of the glacier. We also saw some wildlife that we did not see in Glacier Bay. The big difference for me would be the amount of daylight. It's 15 and a half hours between sunrise and sunset in mid-August and only 12 and a half in mid-September.

I've also been comparing these two cruises. I notice that with Glacier Bay it's a whole day of viewing which makes the Ketchikan day only half.

With Tracy Arm viewing it's half day so you get a whole day in Ketchikan.

Having done Glacier Bay twice I think I would prefer Tracy Arm so that we have more time in Ketchikan!

Just a thought.

The Golden Princess is RT Seattle on Aug 2, 2014 and it goes to glacier Bay,

We are doings family cruise then. Really excited about seeing the glaciers again

Our last Alaskan cruise was the first week of August and the weather was prefect.

Arlene

I did a Seattle R/T with Tracy Arm in June and a Glacier Bay North bound in August. To tell the truth, I don't remember much about the Tracy Arm day - the Glacier Bay Day, however....I'll never forget that! So if I had to make the choice I would definitely choose the Glacier Bay trip in September.

Have a wonderful time, whichever trip you choose. Alaska is incredible!

We have sailed through Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm (twice).

I would take the Tracy Arm August cruise, but I would certainly include the small boat excursion that goes close to the Sawyer Glaciers to give myself the best chance for wildlife and glacier viewing.

We cannot go in August; comments to go in August miss the point entirely.

But thanks for the comparisons of the two glacier experiences.

Reading your first post I thought you were considering a cruise in August and one in Sept. Sorry for the confusion.

I know you will enjoy your cruise when ever you go

No blame necessary...it was a very good question, we did not understand your post. Many people really enjoy Glacier Bay, but if you want to do more in Ketchikan, then Tracey Arm would be better for your cruise.

Just remember that the later you go on the cruise the greater chance for more rain and storms and from what I have read on the Princess boards...you see more whales the earlier you go. Either way it is a memorable cruise.