Why can't people get to muster on time?

sr5242

[quote name='tlatrice']I was last to my muster drill. I couldn't find it. This was my 2nd cruise. On my first one my muster station was outside on the deck. So this time, I went outside looking for my station. Didn't see it. I went to the other side. Not there. FINALLY I asked someone who directed me to Studio B. I didn't realize some people's muster stations were inside.

Did I look panicked when I got there? No. In fact, I was laughing with my sister and son, apologizing to them for dragging them all over the ship. :p[/quote]

Next time you cruise, look at that colourful sign with the map of the ship on the back of your cabin door. Your muster station is shown on it. Then you won't have to run all over the place trying to find it. :rolleyes:

[quote name='knittinggirl']I also think the muster drill should be held inside the ship. That's what Princess does. During bad weather, [B]it's too easy to be swept overboard.[/B]
.[/quote]

While tied to the dock in port???????????? Sorry, I'd rather know where my life boat is actually located in case I need it.

[quote name='cruisingator2']Why am I not surprised at one of the replies? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

...but it makes him soooo happy to go against the grain...let him have this simple pleasure in his obviously pitiful little life.:rolleyes:

No offense taken here. Ever. Cruising is all about laughter, relaxation, and fun. Who wants to delay this?

Your response to my question is reminiscent of something my brother would say, only he'd probably be on his fourth or fifth beer before we even get to muster.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app

[quote name='jayblue']No offense taken here. Ever. Cruising is all about laughter, relaxation, and fun. Who wants to delay this?

Your response to my question is reminiscent of something my brother would say, only he'd probably be on his fourth or fifth beer before we even get to muster.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

Cool just making sure because some people take things the wrong way.

Lol ur brother sounds like my new drinking buddy. I really don't drink beer much anymore except on cruises which is once a year. I enjoy a Long Island iced tea or peach Long Island.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Next time you cruise, look at that colourful sign with the map of the ship on the back of your cabin door. Your muster station is shown on it. Then you won't have to run all over the place trying to find it. :rolleyes:

While tied to the dock in port???????????? Sorry, I'd rather know where my life boat is actually located in case I need it.

If the ship is tilting like Costa Concordia, your muster station may be unreachable in an emergency.

No. He would have done so by now, but he just started working after having been unemployed for a couple of years and I start a job tomorrow after being off for almost a year.

If he can manage to get time off when I go again, I'll make him get a passport and take him with me. We were roommates for a few months and get along very well.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app

The "entitled" "me" people who do not go to muster will be the very same people who will refuse to take the mandatory dramamine when/if they have to board a life boat.:eek:

Dramamine ain't gonna help in a lifeboat!:eek:

.....those on an airplane who are too busy to pay attention during the safety briefing, yet they get VERY annoyed when the flight attendant sends them back to their seat as the BIG RED "X" shows someone is already in the forward restroom.

We love that one, we sit and shake our heads every time!!!

Standing here waiting for muster on Indy. 15 minutes past assigned time and we can't start the drill due to people missing. Holding up whole ship!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ignorance, stupidity, ignorance, stupidity, etc etc.......K.O...

I must be missing something, in over 80 cruises I have never sailed late due to someone arriving late at muster. I don't understand the problem except folks being impatient. There are all kind of folks onboard including new cruisers that have no idea on what to do and everyone cannot arrive at the same time. Also no one has defined what late is 5,10,15,18,20 or some other arbitrary time after the emergency signal. BTY HAL has removed folks from the ship that refused to go to muster.

It's not a matter of sailing late due to muster drill times. It's a matter of how fast can this ship of 5,000 people be evacuated in a real emergency. So how long is a lifeboat supposed to wait for the "stragglers" to decide to show up when the ship is going down by the bow? 5, 10, 15, 18, 20 minutes? Frankly, there needs to be a sense of urgency when it comes to safety measures. If there were a real emergency, I would imagine (and where is chengk75 to substantiate?) that once the max occupancy load for a lifeboat is reached, lifeboat number XYZ is launching regardless of who is on it. Just because someone designated for the same boat as I am can't bother to show up, I doubt they will hold that boat waiting for John and Mary to finish their martinis - If ya ain't there, too bad. THAT'S where the problem lies. If people can't take a drill seriously, how will they react in a real emergency? For the ones who can't make it on time, I would rather they drown on the ship in an emergency rather than endanger the lives of others simply because it wasn't a serious enough matter for them

As for being impatient, my time means something to me. I don't appreciate my time being wasted by someone else's lack of courtesy and inconsideration. If people wish to waste their own time, that's their business, but when it has an impact on other people, it then becomes selfish on their part. 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there, another 20 minutes here, 3 minutes at this,12 minutes for something else, oops, we need to wait 10 minutes for slow poke to get back on the bus, etc. That it now ONE HOUR of my vacation time wasted by inconsiderate people for whatever lame excuses they had for everything. I cannot get that hour back now. I possibly could have done something of MY CHOOSING in that one hour, but now it's gone because a few people didn't feel that punctuality was important. Granted, it's really only an hour, however, if I choose to waste away the hour myself doing nothing, it's one thing, but when that same time is wasted by others, it's completely different - I now no longer have a say in what I do with that hour.

Edited by A2Mich

Ignorance, stupidity, ignorance, stupidity, etc etc.......K.O...

And just remember......"Ya can't fix stupid."

or, as was so eloquently stated elsewhere "the two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. There may be a finite amount of hydrogen."

As I read these many responses it occurs to me that people think they are supposed to be at their muster station at the beginning of the muster drill. This is not correct.

If the muster drill is supposed to start at 4 pm. That is not the time you are supposed to be at your muster station, that is the time that the muster drill begins. The world "muster" means to collect or assemble. It STARTS when the signal sounds, and then you are supposed to go to your muster station.....you are not supposed to be AT your muster station at 4 pm.

A muster drill is at least as important to the crew as the passengers. They are practicing their jobs during an emergency. If you are at your muster station BEFORE the start of the muster drill, you are preventing the crew from getting they practice they need to do in an emergency.

I wonder if those people that must be chased down for muster drill are put on troublemaker list. I have heard there are two lists, a "this person is the best" and the "troublesome cruiser" lists. And it's too easy to get on the troublesome cruiser list. It seems to me, that if the crew has to chase down stragglers, it would make them memorable in a bad way.

We were on Indy last Feb and made the Muster way before the end because we were in the middle of the pack. However, the next day we received a snarky letter from the head of security chiding us for missing the Muster Drill. So you would have us on the watch list when in fact we were there? I didn't notice the drill starting late because they were looking for us. I replied with a snarky letter of my own explaining that there were no crew members at our station taking names and that if he wanted to discuss it further, he knew where to find us. The Concierge laughed when he read it but in retrospect, it probably wasn't wise to backtalk the head of security - I just couldn't help it though. By the way, he never called.

It's not a matter of sailing late due to muster drill times. It's a matter of how fast can this ship of 5,000 people be evacuated in a real emergency. So how long is a lifeboat supposed to wait for the "stragglers" to decide to show up when the ship is going down by the bow? 5, 10, 15, 18, 20 minutes? Frankly, there needs to be a sense of urgency when it comes to safety measures. If there were a real emergency, I would imagine (and where is chengk75 to substantiate?) that once the max occupancy load for a lifeboat is reached, lifeboat number XYZ is launching regardless of who is on it. Just because someone designated for the same boat as I am can't bother to show up, I doubt they will hold that boat waiting for John and Mary to finish their martinis - If ya ain't there, too bad. THAT'S where the problem lies. If people can't take a drill seriously, how will they react in a real emergency? For the ones who can't make it on time, I would rather they drown on the ship in an emergency rather than endanger the lives of others simply because it wasn't a serious enough matter for them

As for being impatient, my time means something to me. I don't appreciate my time being wasted by someone else's lack of courtesy and inconsideration. If people wish to waste their own time, that's their business, but when it has an impact on other people, it then becomes selfish on their part. 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there, another 20 minutes here, 3 minutes at this,12 minutes for something else, oops, we need to wait 10 minutes for slow poke to get back on the bus, etc. That it now ONE HOUR of my vacation time wasted by inconsiderate people for whatever lame excuses they had for everything. I cannot get that hour back now. I possibly could have done something of MY CHOOSING in that one hour, but now it's gone because a few people didn't feel that punctuality was important. Granted, it's really only an hour, however, if I choose to waste away the hour myself doing nothing, it's one thing, but when that same time is wasted by others, it's completely different - I now no longer have a say in what I do with that hour.

Right here;

In a "normal" evacuation (oxymoron?), the passengers would be mustered well before the time that the boats would be loaded. In this case, the boats would be loaded according to the muster lists. If there is no time (Concordia), then the boats would be loaded on a first come basis, but only after accountability was taken at the proper muster station.

Remember, that in the case of any emergency, the crew will respond to the infamous "code" call, and only when the On Scene Commander advises the Captain that the emergency warrants getting the passengers away from hazard zones, and getting everyone counted. Then, once everyone is mustered, the emergency may be resolved, and everyone sent back to the party.

The IMO requirements for passenger evacuation is that once mustered, all passengers can be evacuated in 30 minutes. But, this is just the loading and launching the boats, not the mustering process.

And, yes, the drill starts at the signal, when passengers should start for the stations. The crew required for passenger muster will have been mustered a while before the signal.

Right here;

In a "normal" evacuation (oxymoron?), the passengers would be mustered well before the time that the boats would be loaded. In this case, the boats would be loaded according to the muster lists. If there is no time (Concordia), then the boats would be loaded on a first come basis, but only after accountability was taken at the proper muster station.

Remember, that in the case of any emergency, the crew will respond to the infamous "code" call, and only when the On Scene Commander advises the Captain that the emergency warrants getting the passengers away from hazard zones, and getting everyone counted. Then, once everyone is mustered, the emergency may be resolved, and everyone sent back to the party.

The IMO requirements for passenger evacuation is that once mustered, all passengers can be evacuated in 30 minutes. But, this is just the loading and launching the boats, not the mustering process.

And, yes, the drill starts at the signal, when passengers should start for the stations. The crew required for passenger muster will have been mustered a while before the signal.

As always, thanks for the great information. I would think that if time allowed, attendance of some sort would be taken whether it be a head count or an actual roll call. I am not aware of the policies and procedures of whether or not a head count is required to determine the number of people still aboard or if they require a roll call to determine WHO is still aboard. Either way, in an extreme emergency, I would guess that if time is of the essence, they will not hold a lifeboat waiting for specific persons to board IF doing so would endanger the lives of those already on board.

In any case, I want to know exactly what to do and where to be in case of an emergency evacuation. Granted the chances of having to muster and board is rather low, I would still rather know. I think that the people who do not take the drill seriously should be removed from the drill and forced to repeat it along with the ones they find that skip it entirely.

I always do a dry run ahead of time on an unfamiliar ship just to know ahead of time where I'm supposed to be. Maybe being over-cautious but would rather be aware.

As always, thanks for the great information. I would think that if time allowed, attendance of some sort would be taken whether it be a head count or an actual roll call. I am not aware of the policies and procedures of whether or not a head count is required to determine the number of people still aboard or if they require a roll call to determine WHO is still aboard. Either way, in an extreme emergency, I would guess that if time is of the essence, they will not hold a lifeboat waiting for specific persons to board IF doing so would endanger the lives of those already on board.

In any case, I want to know exactly what to do and where to be in case of an emergency evacuation. Granted the chances of having to muster and board is rather low, I would still rather know. I think that the people who do not take the drill seriously should be removed from the drill and forced to repeat it along with the ones they find that skip it entirely.

I always do a dry run ahead of time on an unfamiliar ship just to know ahead of time where I'm supposed to be. Maybe being over-cautious but would rather be aware.

There should always be some accountability (name/cabin) before boarding a boat, as you must remember that the crew have not been given the signal to abandon ship yet. The signal that passengers think is the abandon ship signal (more than 6 short blasts followed by one long blast), is actually the signal for fire and general emergency. Until such time as the passengers are all mustered, and accounted for on boats that have left the ship, the Captain will not signal for abandon ship (one sustained blast), at which time the crew will fold down to their raft stations.

I know that at NCL, the Safety Manager would get a list of passengers who didn't show up for the muster, and they would get a note in their cabin that listed the "make up drill" time the next day, and that if they did not make this drill, the Captain could disembark them.

When the USCG conducts a port state inspection, there will be a crew drill, and if the inspectors are not satisfied with the conduct of the drill, they can require that the drill be repeated until it is done to their satisfaction. Unfortunately, that option does not exist for the passengers, because of customer relations, but some Captains and Safety Managers will extend a drill until there is quiet at all muster stations.

I know that at NCL, the Safety Manager would get a list of passengers who didn't show up for the muster, and they would get a note in their cabin that listed the "make up drill" time the next day, and that if they did not make this drill, the Captain could disembark them.

We got a note in our cabin from head of security when in fact we were there. My reply to him was that he probably sent quite a few letters because there was no crew at our muster station taking names! There was no make up drill, just the letter.