Why can't people get to muster on time?

sr5242

It seems to me the people late for the drill are always the first ones in the showroom for the entertainment. So they have a brain, they just choose not to use it unless it is something they consider important, like food or fun.

...I always do a dry run ahead of time on an unfamiliar ship just to know ahead of time where I'm supposed to be. Maybe being over-cautious but would rather be aware.
Sounds like me; and aware, like hard work, leads to "lucky". I used to fly several times a week, and I'd always quickly check for the location of the exit in front of me AND the exit behind me, and also check if the lifevest is in fact there (it was NOT a couple of times) - total time invested less than 30 seconds. In hotels I find the emergency stairwells. It is not my job to make sure that others listen, but I have been known to protest when the oblivious are talking so much that others can't hear the announcements.:mad:

Thom

I have to admit, when we went on our first cruise, we were late for muster. We had no idea yet about the layout of the ship and in total awe of its size and when the alarm went off we went into the hallway and everyone was already gone. We found an open door with a stairwell and started down it and a crew member found us and lead us out the door right by the Ben and Jerry's where we then high tailed it to the muster station. I was mega embarrassed!

Needless to say, on our second cruise we were on time!

However, there was an Irish couple at our second muster who wanted to argue about giving up their drinks! The said the bartender said they could bring them!

Standing here waiting for muster on Indy. 15 minutes past assigned time and we can't start the drill due to people missing. Holding up whole ship!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You composed this after the conclusion of the drill - Because responsible cruisers do not eat, drink, smoke, or use technology during a drill.

Jane (from the duo Dick and Jane)

Chicago, Illinois

Why do people show up late?

- Experienced latecomers know that the show won't begin until they arrive, so they won't be forced to stand uncomfortably on the deck waiting for others.

- Being late carries no punishment, so people who don't care about doing the right thing have no motive to show up on time.

- They are self- centered, egocentric, bad cruise neighbors.

Personally, I think latecomers should be fined.

I posted this before, and the lady whose nephew refused to wear anything but shorts (at that time in the thread) had a melt down over it. I find it true in this case as well.

Polite society has rules, whether we choice to follow them is up to the individual.

I can't believe how many people undermine the integrity of the drill by showing up to the muster station early.

They warn you as a courtesy before the drill so that you are not otherwise occupied (e.g. bed, shower).

When the alarm sounds, you should proceed to the muster station. As part of this process, the crew can identify bottlenecks that they can improve upon in the event of a real alarm. Having half the passengers show up early kind of defeats the purpose of the drill. If they wanted you to muster at 1600 only to make sure you know where your muster station is and to pass on information, they wouldn't call it a drill.

Well said. We have fire drills at school all the time. We do not leave the room before the sirens, because it is about getting the masses to a safe place.

Another thought: If passengers were to have to evacuate because of an emergency, you might not want to be on a lifeboat with evacuees you've p***ed off.

First impressions are lasting ones. Be on time for muster.

jayblue RCCL cruiser

As I read these many responses it occurs to me that people think they are supposed to be at their muster station at the beginning of the muster drill. This is not correct.

If the muster drill is supposed to start at 4 pm. That is not the time you are supposed to be at your muster station, that is the time that the muster drill begins. The world "muster" means to collect or assemble. It STARTS when the signal sounds, and then you are supposed to go to your muster station.....you are not supposed to be AT your muster station at 4 pm.

A muster drill is at least as important to the crew as the passengers. They are practicing their jobs during an emergency. If you are at your muster station BEFORE the start of the muster drill, you are preventing the crew from getting they practice they need to do in an emergency.

But it is the crew who go through the public areas of the ship trying to get people to muster drill long before the ship's horn sounds. We won't go until we hear the horn - we've even argued with our stateroom attendant about when we are supposed to go.

We are never the last ones there, and we are not late by our accounting - we are right on time.

And sometimes drills are delayed - on Carnival in particular, the drill has started as much as 30 minutes after the announced time. No way am I going to stand around on deck until they decide to start. I'll go when they do.

Interesting to see this post after a recent visit to the Port of Long Beach in which we were treated to countless people hiding out on their balconies trying to avoid the drill on the Miracle. From the shore we could see people literally on the floor of their balconies trying to avoid detection. A bunch of sun bathers up top got in a heated exchange with a Carnival rep, up until security intervened. Carnival staff were great though in how they swept the ship deck by deck, room by room...very entertaining from our perspective to watch the evaders get busted....leaving many cheering from the shore. Personally I think cruise lines should entice folks with some stupid entry for a worthless piece of jewelry, bucket of beers, etc.

Albeit my personal favorite would be to take the ship out about 30 min and then sound the alarm with a subtle message of "we've hit a ship, rock, iceberg...should do the trick :D

Score one for Jane!

If they were waiting for stragglers the drill had not yet begun...only the signals to indicate to move towards station. The crew does not begin giving out information until all are present. So...mark the frame zero.

Good catch LMaxwell.........

I suspect many things are involved here:

There are no consequences for showing up late.

They don't give a hoot about anyone else.

Manners are a thing of the past.

Edited by Deatsch

Good catch LMaxwell.........

I suspect many things are involved here:

There are no consequences for showing up late.

They don't give a hoot about anyone else.

Manners are a thing of the past.

I'll give that one to LMaxwell and I couldn't agree more! There are no consequences! We got an obligatory letter in the cabin for missing muster but we were there, on time, in the middle of the pack BUT there was no crew member taking names! There was also no make up!

We'll, it doesn't have to be shut off, but it's certainly against the muster drill rules to use it, which was my first thought when I read the first post.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

I was thinking the same thing.

Next time you cruise, look at that colourful sign with the map of the ship on the back of your cabin door. Your muster station is shown on it. Then you won't have to run all over the place trying to find it. :rolleyes:

While tied to the dock in port???????????? Sorry, I'd rather know where my life boat is actually located in case I need it.

Thanks for the tip!

I'll give that one to LMaxwell and I couldn't agree more! There are no consequences! We got an obligatory letter in the cabin for missing muster but we were there, on time, in the middle of the pack BUT there was no crew member taking names! There was also no make up!

They actually did take a roll call at our muster drill on Indy in March. They looked at our seapass and marked us off their list, asking how many were in our party. I don't know if that will now be standard, or whether it was random.

I agree that there should be a consequence for trying to avoid muster. It will probably only take one passenger being escourted off the ship for breaking the law to end the avoidance. :D

I agree that there should be a consequence for trying to avoid muster. It will probably only take one passenger being escourted off the ship for breaking the law to end the avoidance. :D

PAX who miss muster will be (or are supposed to be) given a make up date and time for muster. Failure to appear for that is grounds for the cruise line to debark the passenger at the next port of call without any refund or recompense.

They actually did take a roll call at our muster drill on Indy in March. They looked at our seapass and marked us off their list, asking how many were in our party. I don't know if that will now be standard, or whether it was random.

Every cruise we have been on here has been an accounting of all guests. Some were done by manually looking at your seapass nd checking your name on a list and more recently they have been scanning your seapass cards which is so much quicker.

Every cruise we have been on here has been an accounting of all guests. Some were done by manually looking at your seapass nd checking your name on a list and more recently they have been scanning your seapass cards which is so much quicker.

Good to know. It must be standard procedure on Royal then.