NCL Sky Spring Break Punks 2014

david_sobe

That is what's become of "the American way" - isn't it? Don't feel like taking responsibility for your actions? Just launch a lawsuit in someone else's direction! Thanks for bringing it up. The video itself didn't bring enough bile into my mouth.

The guy is a piece of feces, as is anyone who even suggests he is due any civil recourse from his apprehension, IMO. The silver lining: Career stability for our corrections professionals.

In a perfect world, after he was cuffed, transported, processed through intake and thrown in a cell with someone who would teach him what it was like to be a) a real bada$$, and/or 2) his lover, I would say "thank you for contributing to my retirement".

Well that's a bit much. I don't condone rape ever - in prison or out. But I especially think advocating for it in the case of some bad behavior is just insane.

If this incident had taken place at a US land-based resort, and hotel security grabbed him—this would be assault. If hotel security bound him and hauled him off, this would be kidnapping or unlawful imprisonment. I would think both items would be actionable under US civil law.

You may not be advocating for him, but you certainly are inquisitive when it comes to his rights.

You may not be advocating for him, but you certainly are inquisitive when it comes to his rights.

No kidding. It would *not* be assault or kidnapping. if so then I have assaulted and kidnapped many people in my time. We often handcuffed unruly patrons and held them for the police also.

The cops always prefer correct and reasonable restraining and detaining methods are used over beating an unruly patron into submission. The patron might not like it at the time but when they sober up they prefer it too.

Well that's a bit much. I don't condone rape ever - in prison or out. But I especially think advocating for it in the case of some bad behavior is just insane.

Never said "rape", just said "lover" ;) Maybe you read too much into that?

"Bad behavior" is the premise upon which people are incarcerated. Broad term.

But if this tool's behavior went unchecked and he forced himself on a member of my family, I would want to be sure he was "loved".

I think we just have to agree to disagree. I don't think some guy getting drunk and acting like a jagoff (and maybe stealing a drink?) means he will necessarily do anything worse (like forcing himself on someone). I think he should be punished but I think the punishment should fit the crime. I also wouldn't condone rape even if he had done it to others - it's never OK in my book. Different viewpoints - I get it.

I think we just have to agree to disagree. I don't think some guy getting drunk and acting like a jagoff (and maybe stealing a drink?) means he will necessarily do anything worse (like forcing himself on someone). I think he should be punished but I think the punishment should fit the crime. I also wouldn't condone rape even if he had done it to others - it's never OK in my book. Different viewpoints - I get it.

Fair enough

I think the security did almost all they could. First there was no weapon for the drunk to cause harm to anyone and no one in danger, maybe the drunk that jump/fall in the hot tub and/or pool possibly drowning himself. Second I could almost guaranteed the security cameras all ready figured out who the drunk was and his room number. Third he was drunk if the security guards was to physically remove him from the pool or hot tub someone could of drowned. Where is the drunk going to run to, your on a ship.

If he had a weapon or was physically hurting someone I think security would of acted different. There was no reason for them to jump in the pool to remove him. I guarantee behind the scene it was more physical and he was locked up for the night and maybe kicked off in the next port. There are to many cameras filming every move.

This type of behavior can happen anywhere not just spring break on a ship. There does not even have to be alcohol involved.

No haters please, just my opinion.

We have a generation of narcissists who have been raised to think they can do and say as they please, because mommy told them that world quite literally revolves around them.

What you are seeing here is the result of that mindset.

These "kids" will drive over you and laugh about it later - believe it.

After witnessing several security/unruly passenger interactions on several different lines it appears that the approach is always to de-escalte the encounter as much as possible, even if the passenger is clearly in the wrong. They should have drained the pool on him.

I was struck by the classlessness of that whole group. I (especially my wife and kids) certainly wouldn't want to have been anywhere near those punks, the females included.

Hmmmm...you make a great point. Actually you didnt make any point. Please expand on your statement.

My 20 years in the security industry will be glad to debate it with you.

20 years in the security industry? As a bouncer? Really?

20 years in the security industry? As a bouncer? Really?

When I was 18 I started working security on weekends in a lounge attached to the restaurant I worked at. Moved on to "bouncing" in nightclubs. Then became security manager for a hotel that included a nightclub.

Do you have something against the security industry?

Thank you for this information. To the PP’s, please note I am not advocating for this drunk or suggesting that he file a lawsuit—I did not state that in my previous post. I was merely curios in the rule of law as it applies to authority and jurisdiction of a private security force while at sea.

If this incident had taken place at a US land-based resort, and hotel security grabbed him—this would be assault. If hotel security bound him and hauled him off, this would be kidnapping or unlawful imprisonment. I would think both items would be actionable under US civil law.

Most cruise ships are not US flagged ships. No US civil law. We all sign a contract before we sail saying we will abide by behavioral laws. This guy obviously was not.

I'm no maritime law expert but I sure as heck expect that the security people on board have the right and the duty to protect the rest of the passengers. I imagine they took this punk into custody and kicked him off at the next port.

I hope and expect that that is exactly what happened to him. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the folks contributing to the situation were also kicked off at the next port.

NCL security shows some real constraint with this punk. They should have hog tied him and thrown him over board!

the worst part: these types are what give our young people such a bad reputation and not all kids are out of control. I know one thing, I will never cruise from mid March until a week after Easter...

Thank God you are here to keep everyone in check!

Evidenced by your posts there is no shortage of ego in your house, either ;)

Nope, not a lot of ego here, just 25 years of cruising experience. Most all of that experience is with NCL, which is why you do not find me posting about other lines. Also, I have almost 18 years of experience with Cruise Critic. I do not spend a lot of time "attacking" things before knowing all the facts and surrounding back drop information.

But, I am sure Mr. Unknown is happy you are here to defend his honor by taking pot shots at me in his stead. Yea, you!

There simply is not one single topic on this forum that doesn't eventually degrade into bickering. I'm sure the Sunset pictures thread will eventually give someone heartburn at some point and they will be left with no choice to "prove" how "right" they are...

Pathetic.

Nope, not a lot of ego here, just 25 years of cruising experience. Most all of that experience is with NCL, which is why you do not find me posting about other lines. Also, I have almost 18 years of experience with Cruise Critic. I do not spend a lot of time "attacking" things before knowing all the facts and surrounding back drop information.

Well aren't you thorough? Yay you!

But, I am sure Mr. Unknown is happy you are here to defend his honor by taking pot shots at me in his stead. Yea, you!

Not taking pot shots (clearly you are the only one allowed to do so), just addressing a snarky post with a snarky post. Yay you!:)

Nope, just an aversion to over expressing ones background to stroke their own ego.

I've thus far found the majority of people on here to be really great. So what's your problem? I didn't over express my background at all, certainly not to stroke my own ego. I made a comment, you responded without offering anything to support your remark and now seem to be happy to insult people.

If you were intelligent you wouldn't need to resort to insults.

Huge ego on you sir. Or are you just overstating your cruising experience? By all means, as an experienced cruiser I'd love to read your respectful take on the matter. As someone who worked in security for a long time, I also have a perspective. You're welcome to dismiss mine, but as a veteran cruiser surely you can offer something to support your position.