Veteran Princess cruisers: has this ever happened to you?

Aquarian

A few months ago, I booked a Caribbean cruise for June 21. I booked a balcony stateroom on Baja for three people. My husband and I have always traveled on Princess alone just the two of us. This cruise, we are taking our teenaged grandson with us. I don't have any prior experience with more than two people to a stateroom so when the TA suggested a balcony stateroom with a pull-down bed, I went with that suggestion. At some point, I discovered a picture someone posted on CC of what an inside stateroom with pull down beds looked like. I didn't like what I saw. I didn't realize the bed would be a plastic case attached to the wall that you pulled down. When I saw the picture of the pull down bed, it didn't look like it would be strong enough for a 15 year old teen boy. I called my TA and asked if she would book us a mini suite so my grandson could sleep on the sofabed in the sitting area. My TA called Princess and was told that my booking had to be cancelled and I had to make a totally new booking. Because I booked during a promotion, I lost $100 stateroom credit, a bottle of wine, a formal night 8x10 picture with frame because it was not longer being offered. Has anyone had this experience? I'm not sweating the wine and picture but I'm miffed that I lost $100 stateroom credit. Obviously, I paid the difference between a balcony and mini suite also. Is this worth writing to Princess about?

A few months ago, I booked a Caribbean cruise for June 21. I booked a balcony stateroom on Baja for three people. My husband and I have always traveled on Princess alone just the two of us. This cruise, we are taking our teenaged grandson with us. I don't have any prior experience with more than two people to a stateroom so when the TA suggested a balcony stateroom with a pull-down bed, I went with that suggestion. At some point, I discovered a picture someone posted on CC of what an inside stateroom with pull down beds looked like. I didn't like what I saw. I didn't realize the bed would be a plastic case attached to the wall that you pulled down. When I saw the picture of the pull down bed, it didn't look like it would be strong enough for a 15 year old teen boy. I called my TA and asked if she would book us a mini suite so my grandson could sleep on the sofabed in the sitting area. My TA called Princess and was told that my booking had to be cancelled and I had to make a totally new booking. Because I booked during a promotion, I lost $100 stateroom credit, a bottle of wine, a formal night 8x10 picture with frame because it was not longer being offered. Has anyone had this experience? I'm not sweating the wine and picture but I'm miffed that I lost $100 stateroom credit. Obviously, I paid the difference between a balcony and mini suite also. Is this worth writing to Princess about?

The bunk beds are actually metal and are very strong. Unless your grandson is over 250lbs, there would have been no problem.

As for the promotion, that's the way it works. The one you booked under has expired and by moving to another category, you forfeit whatever was gained under that promotion. It seems that you're also within final payment, so they apparently have waived the cancellation fees... that's a good thing. :)

You should be happy you were able to make the change at all as you are now past final payment date. Recently most promotional fares on Princess are entirely non-changeable or refundable. Just add the lost $100 to the cost of the upgrade and I bet that upon reflection you still got a fair deal.

...and BTW, have you seen a photo of the sofa bed in a mini-suite? The pullout bed is actually only half the width of the sofa. If I were fifteen again I would sure be more comfortable in the upper berth--which is more than sturdy enough for a full-grown well-fed adult.

To be honest, I didn't consider the cancellation fee, so I should feel good about this. Thanks for the input. My grandson will be okay on the sofabed I'm sure. Thank you for your input.
Our 21 year old daughter found the sofa bed in the minisuite on Grand Princess to be quite comfortable - and that was for a 12 day cruise.

I think you made the right move, as there are cabins where using the dropdown beds precludes configuring the floor level beds in a queen configuration.

I always thought it was only the inside cabins where the extra beds were on the walls. I thought in the balcony cabins the beds dropped down from the ceiling?

Glad you managed to change your booking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the picture of the sofa bed. I know he will be fine with that and I will be sure to ask for a mattress topper if he isn't - great suggestion too. I just feel we will be more comfortable in a mini suite for three of us. I don't think we will feel as crowded as we would have in the balcony. We've never done a mini suite before so I'm looking forward to it. Again, thank you all for your input. This is an invaluable tool for gathering information.

The bunk beds are actually metal and are very strong. Unless your grandson is over 250lbs, there would have been no problem.

As for the promotion, that's the way it works. The one you booked under has expired and by moving to another category, you forfeit whatever was gained under that promotion. It seems that you're also within final payment, so they apparently have waived the cancellation fees... that's a good thing. :)

Agree!

Thank you for the picture of the sofa bed. I know he will be fine with that and I will be sure to ask for a mattress topper if he isn't - great suggestion too. I just feel we will be more comfortable in a mini suite for three of us. I don't think we will feel as crowded as we would have in the balcony. We've never done a mini suite before so I'm looking forward to it. Again, thank you all for your input. This is an invaluable tool for gathering information.

IMO all of you will be much more comfortable. You made a good change. Now you know for next time. Enjoy your cruise.

You will be glad you switched to a mini, he will have his own tv, much more space and bathroom shower w/tub combo is much nicer. The Emerald mini's have covered balconies,which I prefer, but it will be a great cruise in any mini.

Our 21 year old daughter found the sofa bed in the minisuite on Grand Princess to be quite comfortable - and that was for a 12 day cruise.

I like the mini idea. You will appreciate having a little more space. The heck with losing $100 - you'll have a more pleasant experience.

You all have made me feel better about our decision to switch to the mini. Your comments have lessened the "sting" of losing the $100 and promotion items. It has been over two years since our last cruise on the Ruby and I am starting to get excited about going on this cruise. Since we are taking our 15 year old grandson on his first cruise, if any of you have suggestions as to how to make this a great experience for him, I'd like to hear them.

I've slept in one of those drop-down-from-the-ceiling bunk beds and found it to be very comfortable and I don't fall asleep easily. They are extremely strong and safe IMO.

Agree on the promo. There are a few out there that will charge a cancellation fee. There are new ones coming out all the time though and you might be able to get one with some kind of added perk.

. . . Since we are taking our 15 year old grandson on his first cruise, if any of you have suggestions as to how to make this a great experience for him, I'd like to hear them.

If he's interested in meeting up with other kids his age, encourage him to go to the Teen Club on the first night. I believe they put the information regarding times/location in your cabin automatically since they'll know you're sailing with a kid. Anyway, that's when the teens all meet up and form connections, so for the rest of the cruise, they can ditch the lame "club" and hang out around the ship on their own with their new buds. Very important to be there as a newbie the first day along with everyone else, not coming in late on day 2 as a newbie once bonds have already begun to form. There's some complex sociological study there just waiting to be undertaken . . .