Anyone do "Formal Night" anymore?

iluvcruises

I am wondering if there is a difference between sailings in the US and sailings in Europe.

We have noticed a fair proportion of folks on Med sailings dressing up somewhat (not necessarily tuxes (DJs for the Brits) but certainly some rather glamorous designer gear for the ladies;) (especially the Italian pax - more Armani than you can shake a stick at). I can completely agree with leaving the suit/tux at home due to hot Caribbean or Mediterranean weather or air luggage restrictions. I have to drag our luggage so I try to pack as light as possible.:D

Personally a collared shirt and chinos is my usual evening time dress (maybe a jacket for the Captains/Latitudes party). DW's is long dress/nice top and a bit of bling. Christmas and New Year are obviously rather more dressy as well.

I have often noticed (when people watching over a martini or three), that the baseball cap/T shirt/flip-flop types look uncomfortable when the glad rags come out and they scuttle off to change.

I've not sailed in the US so things might be quite different there.

Just a theory with no empirical evidence...

I totally agree - Europeans still as a whole - dress up and we have not yet succumbed to the shorts, flip flops and cringe cringe - baseball cap ;) brigade.

We wouldn't dream of going out for dinner not dressed up - even on non formal nights - we are always well dressed. As you say, collared or linen shirt etc would be my husband's choice - I am a killer heels gal every night.

But NCL is indeed "Freestyle" so - each to their own. It is what it is, and even in Europe - it is still NCL and therefore - guests are entitled to dress as they wish.

My only rule is please do not wear flip flops to dinner if you have feet that look like you could swoop out of the sky and snatch your dinner from a lake :eek:

I totally agree - Europeans still as a whole - dress up and we have not yet succumbed to the shorts, flip flops and cringe cringe - baseball cap ;) brigade.

We wouldn't dream of going out for dinner not dressed up - even on non formal nights - we are always well dressed. As you say, collared or linen shirt etc would be my husband's choice - I am a killer heels gal every night.

But NCL is indeed "Freestyle" so - each to their own. It is what it is, and even in Europe - it is still NCL and therefore - guests are entitled to dress as they wish.

My only rule is please do not wear flip flops to dinner if you have feet that look like you could swoop out of the sky and snatch your dinner from a lake :eek:

Baseball caps - spawn of the devil! (only acceptable(-ish) at the baseball park - there are not many of them in Europe!)

Linen shirts - I have loads but they always end up looking like a piece of chewed string after being in a suitcase.

As for flip-flops - the one thing that can REALLY put me off my dinner is the 'schplock-schplock' they make when people walk in them past my table.

I would take a very small issue with your statement " NCL is indeed "Freestyle" so - each to their own. It is what it is, and even in Europe - it is still NCL and therefore - guests are entitled to dress as they wish."

There are limits - laid down by NCL (albeit poorly enforced) but - more importantly - consideration for your fellow passengers. Some people just should not:

wear speedos

wear bikinis

wear sandals/flip-flops

in public:eek:.

Not on the Dawn last week. My friend and I dressed up and within 20 minutes of realizing we were about the only people dressed up, we returned to our cabin and changed. We felt very out of place and over dressed. Even worse was the fact that so many people were in jeans, shorts and extremely casual attire...not even nice dresses and kahki's. It was weird.

Not on the Dawn last week. My friend and I dressed up and within 20 minutes of realizing we were about the only people dressed up, we returned to our cabin and changed. We felt very out of place and over dressed. Even worse was the fact that so many people were in jeans, shorts and extremely casual attire...not even nice dresses and kahki's. It was weird.

?? thats the dress code for the casual MDR ...Shorts is okay! and JEans is okay every night

Edited by vols_159

I love LOVE this post for so many reasons. I am GLAD that some cultures still value dressing for dinner. Doesn't have to be in a tux or a full suit, but a linen shirt with slacks for men and a basic dress for ladies...I think that shows class. I'm not going to condemn anyone for not dressing up, but I am glad some folks still have this tradition.

And the part about not having presentable looking feet to wear flip flops...HA HA HA !! I am so in agreement. And I loved the chosen words of "feet that look like you could swoop out of the sky and snatch your dinner from a lake". DIEING laughing here. I could not have put that any better myself!

Personally, my companions and I are always presentably dressed for the dining room. That means no jeans, flip flops, shorts etc. Instead we feel good to be dressed. (again not formally) We notice most passengers will smile at us and tell us how magnificent we look. I've never felt out of place dressed up at dinner on a cruise. Or anywhere else for that matter.

NCL has freestyle dining so I'm not judging anyone who chooses not to do so, but saying we do still enjoy it and would never stop doing it if it makes us feel good :)

And the part about not having presentable looking feet to wear flip flops...HA HA HA !! I am so in agreement. And I loved the chosen words of "feet that look like you could swoop out of the sky and snatch your dinner from a lake". DIEING laughing here. I could not have put that any better myself!

:)

not my words - stolen from a cartoon I've seen but always sticks in my mind:)

Can just envisage though huh :D

a page and a half on the beauty of freestyle.

I wouldn't wear a suit on vacation for a $100 bribe, but others can wear tuxes at the buffet if they so desire

My thought exactly.

And why are so many people looking at others feet while they are dining ???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by barefootbob

?? thats the dress code for the casual MDR ...Shorts is okay! and JEans is okay every night

Yes. Your point? This thread is pertaining to "formal/elegant" nights. And no, shorts are not okay and are against NCL's dress code per the notes in your stateroom, the HUGE sign at the entrance of the dining room(s) and the staff that kindly remind you when you call to make your MDR reservations.

Wear what you want...to the buffet or for room service. ;)

I'm sorry you felt very out of place. I'm sure no one else even cared what you were wearing. That's too bad that you'd let your own self-consciousness cause you to change out of nice clothes. Wear what you want!

Yes. Your point? This thread is pertaining to "formal/elegant" nights. And no, shorts are not okay and are against NCL's dress code per the notes in your stateroom, the HUGE sign at the entrance of the dining room(s) and the staff that kindly remind you when you call to make your MDR reservations.

Wear what you want...to the buffet or for room service. ;)

You're entitled to your opinion, but the fact is that shorts are fine except for dinner in the aft dining room and Le Bistro. Also, what reservations are you talking about for the MDR? The MDRs don't take reservations unless you're a large group.

You don't look down your nose at me for not dressing up and I won't think of you as an elitist pretentious snob thinking I am beneath you because I like to dress like I am on vacation.

I have no problem with people wanting to dress up because they enjoy the experience. I have a problem with the holier than thou people that are oh so offended to be in the presence of people that enjoy the experience of dressing casual.

Do things your way and I'll do things my way. NCL has a reputation of being more casual than other cruise lines. If formal attire by most is important to you then do your homework and find the cruise lines that cater more to that.

P.S. In honor of "you know who you are" I just might have to wear a baseball cap to dinner one night on my cruise next month......and if I'm feeling frisky I will wear it backwards :D

You don't look down your nose at me for not dressing up and I won't think of you as an elitist pretentious snob thinking I am beneath you because I like to dress like I am on vacation.

I have no problem with people wanting to dress up because they enjoy the experience. I have a problem with the holier than thou people that are oh so offended to be in the presence of people that enjoy the experience of dressing casual.

Do things your way and I'll do things my way. NCL has a reputation of being more casual than other cruise lines. If formal attire by most is important to you then do your homework and find the cruise lines that cater more to that. ....

Big thumbs up

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To be honest you can see in this thread why dressing up is out of time now a days. I would have never thought about considering wearing slacks and a collared shirt as remotely being dressed up. Dressing up in the context of "formal night" is in for me always at least dark suit / tuxedo or dinner jacket.

Not that I would ever wear a suit to dinner myself.

Quick story, I wanted to make a point with some friends about "FORMAL NIGHT". It was on our Carnival Freedom cruise in the Med. I had some black shorts altered with the strip down the side to make them formal shorts, also had some flip-flops made to look like formal shoes. The rest of the tux remained the same. Met everyone at one of the bars before dinner and the look on everyone's face when I walked up was priceless. I did get a quick weird look from the Maitre'd (he did let me in the dinning room, even with my shorts). Many pictures taken with other shipmates that night;). I almost put on a formal ball cap but DW said "NO!!!":eek:.....Wear what you want and have some fun.

I never thought this conversation would come to NCL, but by golly, here it is.

Usually, this discussion was reserved for the vocal few that sail everything but NCL. I was hoping that NCL was free of all this.

It still befuddles me why anyone would care what anyone else is wearing? In all frankness, aside from a few posters here at Cruise Critic, I have yet to meet anyone on board of any of my cruises who cared one way or the other about how someone else dressed. Yeah, I've seen the people wearing the teeny European type type swim trunks, and the females who really shouldn't wear two pieces at the pool. But, I've NEVER seen anyone wear those things in any MDR, on any cruise ship. I've never seen "flip-flops" either. Yes, I've seen woman wear flats, and that doesn't bother me.

What NCL does, and does well, is to allow you the freedom of wearing what you want. That means wearing a tux or gown if you're so inclined. No one will browbeat you. Same goes for those who wear a golf shirt, or a sun dress. That's Freestyle.

I used to do the tux "thing". I was so glad when all cruise lines started moving away from that. The cruise lines are trying to keep up with the times. My late Father used to wear a fedora every day. I used to wear a suit to work everyday.

Neither of those modes of dress are in vogue anymore (thank goodness, neither are "leisure suits", which my late Father wore, and considered "dressing up" at one point in time).

On the other lines I've sailed, RCCL, CCL, and HAL, I have noticed a steep decline in formal dress on the alleged "formal nights". And, the change in dress norms is getting more and more casual with each cruise I take. Even on my last Celebrity cruise, the norm was golf shirts and Khakis for formal nights. Yes, there were some tuxes and ties, but they were well into the minority.

Bottom line, I don't know of anyone who cares what you wear. If you want to wear a gown or a tux, don't let anyone talk you out of it. If you want to wear a golf shirt or sun dress, you won't be out of place....particularly with Freestyle on NCL. All are welcome.

• 4 weeks later...

Whenever I read threads like this, with comments about whether people will feel out of place when they dress up, I'm always reminded of something I read a while back, where some people had put people dressed in ways that would be quite noticeable into various situations.

As I remember it, the people felt very self conscious and felt that others were treating them differently or staring at them. When the observers were questioned, a very small proportion even noticed.

I have no idea how valid the exercise was, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is true. I suspect that many comments on these threads about people feeling either uncomfortable or feeling as if everyone was admiring them are more a product of their imagination than anything else.

Quick story, I wanted to make a point with some friends about "FORMAL NIGHT". It was on our Carnival Freedom cruise in the Med. I had some black shorts altered with the strip down the side to make them formal shorts, also had some flip-flops made to look like formal shoes. The rest of the tux remained the same. Met everyone at one of the bars before dinner and the look on everyone's face when I walked up was priceless. I did get a quick weird look from the Maitre'd (he did let me in the dinning room, even with my shorts). Many pictures taken with other shipmates that night;). I almost put on a formal ball cap but DW said "NO!!!":eek:.....Wear what you want and have some fun.

Permission granted to wear formal shorts and a baseball style hat next month!

I must admit that I have only read the OP's original post, plus a few of the answers, so don't "shoot" me if many others have said the same as me:

I only cruise with NCL, and even though it is freestyle I always bring with me one or two nice cocktail dresses and my DH a nice suite (not tux) with a couple of shirts/ties. We both enjoy dressing up on a couple of nights during the cruise, looking our best. :p Especially since we never do that at home.... The rest of the evenings we still dress "nice", but much more casual - more like what we would wear when "going out on the town" at home.

I have been on many cruises and I know little by little people no longer get formally dressed for dinners. I actually enjoy these nights but was wondering how it works on the Breakaway. Is there such a thing since everyone is doing their own thing with all the different restaurants? Evening lobster is now being served in the buffet. Anyone still getting dressed up? Thanks for any info :)

Getting off the GA today and we saw A LOT of people formally dressed almost every night of the cruise. Although I don't think they have an "official" formal night, there wasn't a night I didn't see lots of suits, formal dresses and even a few tuxes. We dressed up 3 times, nothing super formal, but on the nights we had things "planned" (shows, specialty restaurant etc) we did dress up.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Whenever I read threads like this, with comments about whether people will feel out of place when they dress up, I'm always reminded of something I read a while back, where some people had put people dressed in ways that would be quite noticeable into various situations.

As I remember it, the people felt very self conscious and felt that others were treating them differently or staring at them. When the observers were questioned, a very small proportion even noticed.

I have no idea how valid the exercise was, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is true. I suspect that many comments on these threads about people feeling either uncomfortable or feeling as if everyone was admiring them are more a product of their imagination than anything else.

I believe it is just more a matter of not wanting to stick out. While there are people on here that say they don't care what anybody thinks, it is my experience that most people don't want to stick out. If everyone else is dressed up, they don't want to be the ones walking in with shorts and a t-shirt. If everyone else is casual, they don't want to be the ones walking in wearing formal tuxes and ball gowns.

That said, we dress up on the "formal night". Not a tux and ball gown, but my wife does find a nice dress, and I bring a pair of dress pants a night shirt and maybe a vest or a sport coat. On the three NCL cruises we've been on people have generally dressed up on the "dress up or not night". Not formal tuxes and such for the most part, although I have seen one or two. However, we have noticed a definite difference in the feel of the formality on that night.