Confused??? Price dropped and Carnival said it can't do anything about it

kklee74

I don't understand how this whole thing works--there's been a price drop that amounts to $1000 on our 7-day Alaska cruise and the final payment isn't due until 5/1, but I'm still being told that the best they can do for us is an upgrade. It's not clear what prevents me from cancelling the booking and then just rebooking the whole thing at a lower rate . . .

I don't understand how this whole thing works--there's been a price drop that amounts to $1000 on our 7-day Alaska cruise and the final payment isn't due until 5/1, but I'm still being told that the best they can do for us is an upgrade. It's not clear what prevents me from cancelling the booking and then just rebooking the whole thing at a lower rate . . .

A lot of times people do cancel and rebook. If the savings is worth it. $1000 would be worth it to me. As far as why you cannot get a price drop, it all depends on what category your cabin is and if there are any still available for booking. And the rate you booked under. You need to know those two things.

If they're telling you that you only qualify for an upgrade, it probably because your specific cabin category is sold out, so you can't price match. Categories aren't just the room type (interior, oceanview, balcony). It also depends on the room's location onboard. For interiors, (for instance) there a 4A, 4B, 4C...etc.

Wow thanks for all the replies. Usually I do book all of my own travel, this TA was recommended to me because they are based in Florida and is supposedly a cruise expert. I did call Carnival directly yesterday and they said they can't do anything because I booked through a TA. I would need my TA to speak with them for me. I told them my TA was useless and all I got was a "sorry, that's policy", I replied, "well that's a weird policy because I wasn't informed anywhere that by using a TA, I would be forfeiting my rights as a consumer to voice my displeasure with the company now that has my money." So from this experience, I will never use a TA to book a cruise ever again. I'm already over this and am just looking forward to having a great time on the Legend with my family. Allure of the Seas, I will see you on my next cruise lol!

Wow thanks for all the replies. Usually I do book all of my own travel, this TA was recommended to me because they are based in Florida and is supposedly a cruise expert. I did call Carnival directly yesterday and they said they can't do anything because I booked through a TA. I would need my TA to speak with them for me. I told them my TA was useless and all I got was a "sorry, that's policy", I replied, "well that's a weird policy because I wasn't informed anywhere that by using a TA, I would be forfeiting my rights as a consumer to voice my displeasure with the company now that has my money." So from this experience, I will never use a TA to book a cruise ever again. I'm already over this and am just looking forward to having a great time on the Legend with my family. Allure of the Seas, I will see you on my next cruise lol!

That's very unfortunate. Early on it would have been possible to transfer the booking to Carnival. I always use a TA. A big company so I speak to whoever answers. And I've never had a problem. I do find it has helped me greatly knowing probably as much or more than they do about the ship I'm sailing on. But no Carnival will not talk to you directly. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Is this a "new bookings" promotion? If you aren't attached to your cabin, then cancel and rebook.

Just to make sure i understand this 100% - since my cabin category appears to be sold out - I'm unable to do a price match/check to see if the price has dropped. So my only option is (probably closer to sailing date which is Aug. 30 - so maybe good time to call Carnival would be in July) to try and get upgraded?

If upgrading is the only option - is the category 9 really an upgrade for me, as i have the aft balcony now - moving to a regular balcony on a different floor is not an upgrade to me, that is. I would think the only upgrade would be to a suite - which as of today they are all still available...... Wonder what that would cost to upgrade to a suite....oh well. won't worry about this now I guess - it does save me time everyday as i don't have to log in and do a mock booking to see what the current prices are!!

Now if they would just release more FTTF so i can grab that.....

Just to make sure i understand this 100% - since my cabin category appears to be sold out - I'm unable to do a price match/check to see if the price has dropped. So my only option is (probably closer to sailing date which is Aug. 30 - so maybe good time to call Carnival would be in July) to try and get upgraded?

If upgrading is the only option - is the category 9 really an upgrade for me, as i have the aft balcony now - moving to a regular balcony on a different floor is not an upgrade to me, that is. I would think the only upgrade would be to a suite - which as of today they are all still available...... Wonder what that would cost to upgrade to a suite....oh well. won't worry about this now I guess - it does save me time everyday as i don't have to log in and do a mock booking to see what the current prices are!!

You are correct. And I'd stick with the aft balcony if I were you. Enjoy it :)

Correct. And all upgrades aren't created equal. During one of the recent sales, I could have upgraded for no increase at all but chose not to. I like the cabin I picked. No drops for me in months since there are so few of them and all sold out, but I still check everyday. Someone might cancel. You never know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

. I did call Carnival directly yesterday and they said they can't do anything because I booked through a TA. I would need my TA to speak with them for me. I told them my TA was useless and all I got was a "sorry, that's policy", I replied, "well that's a weird policy because I wasn't informed anywhere that by using a TA, I would be forfeiting my rights as a consumer to voice my displeasure with the company now that has my money." So from this experience, I will never use a TA to book a cruise ever again. I'm already over this and am just looking forward to having a great time on the Legend with my family. Allure of the Seas, I will see you on my next cruise lol!

I'm pretty sure most, if not all cruise lines have the same policy. Once a TA has your booking, the cruise line can't do anything with it. The TA "owns" the booking.

hi all, i booked a cruise through my travel agent for may 25 on the legend for 8 adults (4 balcony cabins). The other day i noticed the price dropped by $120 per person on the carnival website. So i contacted my travel agent and he said the best they (carnival) would do is upgrade 2 of the rooms to 1 floor higher but still regular balcony rooms. This is a family vacation where half of the travelers have never been on a cruise before and are senior citizens. Being close by and accessible was a priority to me and this was mentioned. I am also confused to as why my total due was 60 days prior instead of 30 days prior. I have cruised on carnival a few previous times before and never had to pay up so early. Should i just contact carnival myself? If so, is there a contact person or email i should use? I would have been happy if they would have either upgraded all of the rooms, refunded the difference, or even onboard credit. Normally i wouldn't really care if it was a small difference, but this is a $960 difference. Thanks for any advice!

never...ever...use a travel agent

It's not Carnival who you are having the issue with, it's your TA. I don't understand your last comment.

I don't understand either. Who is telling you that?

If they won't get real, I would cancel and rebook.

If they're telling you that you only qualify for an upgrade, it probably because your specific cabin category is sold out, so you can't price match. Categories aren't just the room type (interior, oceanview, balcony). It also depends on the room's location onboard. For interiors, (for instance) there a 4A, 4B, 4C...etc.

How can that person be seeing a price drop if their cabin category is sold out???

Usually when you book a minority number cabin Category such as Aft Extended or 4j it is best to book early to get the best cabin position, if you book early its most likely that Early Saver is the cheapest or best rate at the time.

If booked in a minority # cabin category its unlikely you will get price drops because the category usually goes up not down in price after ES is no longer available.:)

Even the L shaped aft balconies (not wrap) booked early with ES are classed as a standard balcony then after ES is no longer available they are classed and priced as "Premium Balcony"

Good Idea not to waste too much time looking for price drops unless you are willing to give up your usually sought after cabin category:)

Usually when you book a minority number cabin Category such as Aft Extended or 4j it is best to book early to get the best cabin position, if you book early its most likely that Early Saver is the cheapest or best rate at the time.

If booked in a minority # cabin category its unlikely you will get price drops because the category usually goes up not down in price after ES is no longer available.:)

Even the L shaped aft balconies (not wrap) booked early with ES are classed as a standard balcony then after ES is no longer available they are classed and priced as "Premium Balcony"

Good Idea not to waste too much time looking for price drops unless you are willing to give up your usually sought after cabin category:)

Now i am confused...we have an L shaped cabin...8b..ES...r u saying that i will not be able to price match to the cat. 8b prices?

Now i am confused...we have an L shaped cabin...8b..ES...r u saying that i will not be able to price match to the cat. 8b prices?

In 2012 I booked an L shaped cabin on Splendor I booked ES and the L,s were part of the standard ES balcony price, when ES was no longer available the L shaped balcony became classed as "Premium Balcony" for newer bookings,I tried to price match a standard balcony price drop and I was denied because I had a premium balcony:confused:

I didnt bother checking for price drops after that as there are so few L,s. I eventually did a paid for upgrade to an extended aft and my L cabin became available at a Premium balcony rate.

So sorry to hear about your situation. It hurts to know you could have gotten something for a lower price. This opens up the age old issue of whether or not to use a TA. The problem with using a TA is that it removes the person from the process, and the cruiser may not be aware of what type of fare is being booked. That's why I always, always do my own research and book my own cruises. In this example, if Early Saver had been booked, then there would not be much of an issue here. Since you have no real options because of your family size, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd only get annoyed if I kept seeing prices dropping without my being able to do anything about it. It's done, just go, and have a great, great cruise!

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

How does the OP have a May 1 final payment date when the cruise is May 25th.

I know they had the 30 day final payment date on some cruises. This less than 30 days and usually with TA's the make you pay 1-2 weeks before the final payment date.:confused:

Bill

This is true. Even with a later payment date, no would it be May 1 with a cruise leaving May 25.:rolleyes:

In 2012 I booked an L shaped cabin on Splendor I booked ES and the L,s were part of the standard ES balcony price, when ES was no longer available the L shaped balcony became classed as "Premium Balcony" for newer bookings,I tried to price match a standard balcony price drop and I was denied because I had a premium balcony:confused:

I didnt bother checking for price drops after that as there are so few L,s. I eventually did a paid for upgrade to an extended aft and my L cabin became available at a Premium balcony rate.

Interesting...we had an "L" cabin in 2013 on Destiny and i don't recall this at all...but we'll see what happens. May not be any price drops and we are happy with our cabin...:D

My final payment date was March 15th for a May 25th trip. My TA was just terrible. A few things I believe a good TA should have done, he didn't. He picked the worse rooms possible on the floor when better rooms were available at the same price (I had to tell him exactly the rooms I wanted after seeing what he booked for me). He should have booked the early saver for me, but didn't when he insisted we book this trip in early february. I would think that would be a no brainer when someone is booking that far in advance. It's not Carnival's fault that I had a terrible TA. I'm still going to have fun though!

My final payment date was March 15th for a May 25th trip. My TA was just terrible. A few things I believe a good TA should have done, he didn't. He picked the worse rooms possible on the floor when better rooms were available at the same price (I had to tell him exactly the rooms I wanted after seeing what he booked for me). He should have booked the early saver for me, but didn't when he insisted we book this trip in early february. I would think that would be a no brainer when someone is booking that far in advance. It's not Carnival's fault that I had a terrible TA. I'm still going to have fun though!

Unless you mean you booked February of last year, there's no possible way your TA could have booked you early saver. Early Saver is for sailings 5 months out or more from the time of booking. Sounds like your final payment was due almost immediately after booking, which is what would have been normal booking only 4 months out. As far as the TA picking the worst rooms, you researched what he/she picked after it was done, why not do that on the front end so you can get the best rooms available then? Anyway, enjoy your trip.

I have an L shaped 8B booked on the Breeze right now and my TA (whos booked in the next 8B over on our group cruise) has gotten me all the same price drops he has gotten after final payment. I fear you got taken on that one....

OP, if you booked in February Early Saver wasnt available. Its called Early Saver cause you have too book it early (5 months out)... have fun on your cruise!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app