Corkage fees for 1.5L bottles of wine

LynnMW3

I was wondering if anyone had experience with how Princess handles corkage fees if you carry on 1.5L bottles of wine (as opposed to 750 ml bottles)...after the one bottle/person allowed without corkage fees, will Princess charge double the corkage fee? I tend to buy the bigger bottles and was wondering how it was handled.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Those bottles may be confiscated as they are over the allowed limit.

At the very least, they should charge $20 for the oversized bottles, that would be fair, but who knows... it could go either way, since it seems difficult to check and apply the procedure in a consistent way.

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

And if you pack the larger bottles in the checked luggage, which we did instead if lugging them, the scanner does show that their is a larger than normal bottles in your luggage. They hold your luggage in an area on deck 4, and send a note to your cabin stating to report to the holding area immediately. I couldn't imagine what the problem was, and was getting anxious. It turned out to be the 2 stupid oversized wine bottles. We weren't trying to get away with anything except a pulled back muscles! We had to go through the luggage, get out the bottles and immediately pay the $30 corkage for each bottle (2x$15). What a hassle! I guess, unless it is lined in some time of me foil pouch, boxes of wine are the way to go...LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And if you pack the larger bottles in the checked luggage, which we did instead if lugging them, the scanner does show that their is a larger than normal bottles in your luggage. They hold your luggage in an area on deck 4, and send a note to your cabin stating to report to the holding area immediately. I couldn't imagine what the problem was, and was getting anxious. It turned out to be the 2 stupid oversized wine bottles. We weren't trying to get away with anything except a pulled back muscles! We had to go through the luggage, get out the bottles and immediately pay the $30 corkage for each bottle (2x$15). What a hassle! I guess, unless it is lined in some time of me foil pouch, boxes of wine are the way to go...LOL

You're lucky. When this policy first came out last year someone had their Magnum of champagne dumped out :(

We just did this on the Star...yes, they charge double the corkage fee. Pretty obnoxious, if you ask me.

What is even more obnoxious is complete disregard for the published Princess policy

"As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom." ...

and then complaining when the cruise line obviously gave you a break and let you keep your "illegal" bottle.

What is even more obnoxious is complete disregard for the published Princess policy

"As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom." ...

and then complaining when the cruise line obviously gave you a break and let you keep your "illegal" bottle.

Wow, some people take things way too seriously!

Anyway, liquor or not, enjoy your cruise!

We just did this on the Star...yes, they charge double the corkage fee. Pretty obnoxious, if you ask me.

And if you pack the larger bottles in the checked luggage, which we did instead if lugging them, the scanner does show that their is a larger than normal bottles in your luggage. They hold your luggage in an area on deck 4, and send a note to your cabin stating to report to the holding area immediately. I couldn't imagine what the problem was, and was getting anxious. It turned out to be the 2 stupid (<---your word) oversized wine bottles. We weren't trying to get away with anything except a pulled back muscles! We had to go through the luggage, get out the bottles and immediately pay the $30 corkage for each bottle (2x$15). What a hassle! I guess, unless it is lined in some time of me foil pouch, boxes of wine are the way to go...LOL

Princess' policy is quite plainly stated, in your docs and right there on your luggage tags:

Bottles specified as 750 ml; and

Must be in your carry on bags.

Rather than posting your colorfully-worded complaints you should simply be grateful that they were not confiscated.

All this whining about first-world problems--I thought I was on the HAL board by mistake!

Edited by fishywood

Princess' policy is quite plainly stated, in your docs and right there on your luggage tags:

Bottles specified as 750 ml; and

Must be in your carry on bags.

Rather than posting your colorfully-worded complaints you should simply be grateful that they were not confiscated.

All this whining about first-world problems--I thought I was on the HAL board by mistake!

Thank you for the complement. I am glad you enjoy my writing style.

It must be rather daunting being someone who doesn't make errors.

Bon Voyage.

So if you bring to the MDR a 375ml bottle of wine should that be $7.50?

I will be traveling with the small 187ml bottles of wine and plan to bring 4 each person (2) that only totals 748 ml each. I have a problem handling the large and heavy glass bottles with my arthritic hands and these are plastic. Do you think they will allow me to bring this or will they stick to a one (1) bottle per person rule.

I will be traveling with the small 187ml bottles of wine and plan to bring 4 each person (2) that only totals 748 ml each. I have a problem handling the large and heavy glass bottles with my arthritic hands and these are plastic. Do you think they will allow me to bring this or will they stick to a one (1) bottle per person rule.

I am sure it would be OK. Not sure how the will calculate the fee though.

I am sure it would be OK. Not sure how the will calculate the fee though.

I agree You should have no problem, just thinking those could be $$$ little bottles if they charge the corkage (screwcap)have a great cruise

Why not save yourself the trouble and fees and just buy onboard?

And if you pack the larger bottles in the checked luggage, which we did instead if lugging them, the scanner does show that their is a larger than normal bottles in your luggage. They hold your luggage in an area on deck 4, and send a note to your cabin stating to report to the holding area immediately. I couldn't imagine what the problem was, and was getting anxious. It turned out to be the 2 stupid oversized wine bottles. We weren't trying to get away with anything except a pulled back muscles! We had to go through the luggage, get out the bottles and immediately pay the $30 corkage for each bottle (2x$15). What a hassle! I guess, unless it is lined in some time of me foil pouch, boxes of wine are the way to go.
I'm sure the x-rays pick up boxes of wine. The sample images I've seen on the Internet show how different objects look. It's just a matter of time before Princess trains its security folks to look for them as well.

So a question from another direction. Yes I can read what it says but in the spirit of the law could I substitute one 1.5L bottle for my 2 750ML bottles? I have some very good Provenance Cab that would be perfect for our cabin in a 1.5L bottle.

Thanks for you input.

So a question from another direction. Yes I can read what it says but in the spirit of the law could I substitute one 1.5L bottle for my 2 750ML bottles? I have some very good Provenance Cab that would be perfect for our cabin in a 1.5L bottle.

Thanks for you input.

Could or could not work. I guess it depends on who is checking at embarkation and what their instructions are. Bonus if you can get the one bottle on but you cannot complain if they disallow as their policy is quite clear.

We sailed on the Ruby in Dec with our adult son. We brought one 750 ml bottle and one 1.5 liter bottle. We checked in at the alcohol desk in the terminal, and they were OK with it because we had the equivalent of 3 750 ml bottles for 3 people.

My DH and I always used to take a 1.5 liter bottle each, and never had a problem. But now, with their new strict enforcement of the policy, we will bring just 2 750ml bottles for 7 day cruises, and for longer ones, like a TA, we'll buy some more en route. Security does let you bring it aboard in European ports.