Redeeming Princess credit card points ?

petlover

As I recall the last time we redeemed Princess points we took it as a Cruise Credit instead of an Onboard Credit and it was applied as a credit to our credit card. I think it was required that we did this after final payment.

That would be consistent with how redeeming points for airfare works -Which is another great way to use your rewards because it is a credit to your credit card.

Edited by Shelly97060

Why would I want $500 OBC instead of reducing my CC bill? Bill?

You wouldn't. Buit I have been unable to locate the complete rewards list to see that 40,000 points can be redeemed for $500 applied to the credit card account.

As I recall the last time we redeemed Princess points we took it as a Cruise Credit instead of an Onboard Credit and it was applied as a credit to our credit card. I think it was required that we did this after final payment.

Not so, re: final payment. Once you have accumulated your points, you only have to give them a booking number. Doesn't matter which booking. I always use a booking number for something "down the road" which is definitely prior to final payment.

You wouldn't. Buit I have been unable to locate the complete rewards list to see that 40,000 points can be redeemed for $500 applied to the credit card account.

I just went to look at it. Redeem button has disappeared. I sent them an email.

We had to cancel a cruise in 2011 due to medical reasons and received the OBC points back without a problem. This was 3 days before the cruise was to depart.:eek: Maybe it was because it was for medical reasons. Also the Berkley Insurance was wonderful in refunding the full cost of the cruise. :D

Not so, re: final payment. Once you have accumulated your points, you only have to give them a booking number. Doesn't matter which booking. I always use a booking number for something "down the road" which is definitely prior to final payment.

Good information. Thanks Pia!

I just went to look at it. Redeem button has disappeared. I sent them an email.

What I can find is a list of what can be redeemed for the number of points I have, but not a list for the number of points I might have in the future.

I also sent the credit card folks a question, but the first response was just how to find what I already knew I could find, so I asked them again.

What I can find is a list of what can be redeemed for the number of points I have, but not a list for the number of points I might have in the future.

I also sent the credit card folks a question, but the first response was just how to find what I already knew I could find, so I asked them again.

Hit redeem points

Hit cruise discount

Open the little box under where it says "as low as 10,000 points" and there you will see the other options

I usually redeem at 60,000 because it's the best deal, but several times I've not waited for the extra $50 and just redeemed at 40,000. Nothing else is cost effective. Used to me higher points gave more money, but they stopped that a long time ago and it's just multiple of the lower amounts.

We had to cancel a cruise in 2011 due to medical reasons and received the OBC points back without a problem. This was 3 days before the cruise was to depart.:eek: Maybe it was because it was for medical reasons. Also the Berkley Insurance was wonderful in refunding the full cost of the cruise. :D

We had the same experience a year ago and had no problem canceling the OBC and points were back in our account within 2 days. Our also was a cancellation for medical.

Hit redeem points

Hit cruise discount

Open the little box under where it says "as low as 10,000 points" and there you will see the other options

I usually redeem at 60,000 because it's the best deal, but several times I've not waited for the extra $50 and just redeemed at 40,000. Nothing else is cost effective. Used to me higher points gave more money, but they stopped that a long time ago and it's just multiple of the lower amounts.

So you get credit back to the balance of the card by using it on the cruise discount of one that you have applied final payment?

Great topic because I was just thinking about this today. I was going to use points as OBC but after seeing Pia's posts, I think I will use them to reduce our bill. DH agrees.

I did the same thing & recently got a $750 credit on our charge card balance. When I call to cash in my points they ask for a booking number to process my request.

I did the same thing & recently got a $750 credit on our charge card balance. When I call to cash in my points they ask for a booking number to process my request.

This may be a stupid question but do you do this before final payment or can you do it after?

This may be a stupid question but do you do this before final payment or can you do it after?

Since I'm usually giving them a future booking number, then yes, definitely before final payment. But I've also done it after final payment. I think they just want a booking number and when you are going doesn't matter, since it's just money being deducted from your cc balance.

Since I'm usually giving them a future booking number, then yes, definitely before final payment. But I've also done it after final payment. I think they just want a booking number and when you are going doesn't matter, since it's just money being deducted from your cc balance.

Thanks Pia, and hi!

I've had the same experience as Pia & my recent redemption of points was shortly after a cruise (love those double points for Princess purchases!). I used my future booking number for a credit on my charge card but just as easily could've used the booking number from my recently completed cruise.

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 2 months later...

My fiancé got the Princess card a few days ago that comes with 5000 sign up points after the first purchase. He used the card and received an email today that he had 5007 points. (woo hoo...LOL). Anyway, our cruise is a week from today, it looks like the website will allow him to redeem for the $50 OBC. Does this really work? What are the chances we'll have this on our cruise for next week if he redeems tonight?

My fiancé got the Princess card a few days ago that comes with 5000 sign up points after the first purchase. He used the card and received an email today that he had 5007 points. (woo hoo...LOL). Anyway, our cruise is a week from today, it looks like the website will allow him to redeem for the $50 OBC. Does this really work? What are the chances we'll have this on our cruise for next week if he redeems tonight?

If you redeem for the cruise discount they take the charge off your credit card bill in the amount that you redeem. It's the same end result, just you get the credit on the back end of the cruise versus obc applied during your cruise. I like this way of doing things as you get the double points for using your card for all charges on your cruise, instead of starting with a credit balance which does not yield the same double points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

This past week we redeemed 25,000 points for $250 OBC.:D

We did it this way with no probleem. 40,000 points can be redeemed for $500 OBC.And right now I am getting double points on grocery spending. Hoping some of our OBCs will be refundable on our next cruise.

We did it this way with no probleem. 40,000 points can be redeemed for $500 OBC.And right now I am getting double points on grocery spending. Hoping some of our OBCs will be refundable on our next cruise.

How are you getting double points on grocery spending?

How are you getting double points on grocery spending?

They periodically have special promotions. This might be one of the current promotions.

One current promotion is double points on purchases in electronics stores (Best Buy, Fry's, etc.)

They periodically have special promotions. This might be one of the current promotions.

One current promotion is double points on purchases in electronics stores (Best Buy, Fry's, etc.)

Do you find this out by logging into your account or do you sign up to get info about the promotions?