Need Help with Inside Cabin Selection

custompcsys

Hi Folks,

I am booked on the Caribbean Princess on Aug 16 and am currently booked into cabin L257. I chose this cabin because of its proximity to the Horizon Court and outside areas, and also (and please don't flame me!) because of its proximity to the outside smoking area on the port side of the Lido deck forward. I've never stayed on a deck this high, and I am concerned about increased motion if things get rough. I've only gotten motion sickness once in 9 cruises, but when I did I was in an aft balcony cabin, not midship which is my usual choice.

My other thought, and there are cabins available, is one of the insides by the art gallery on the Plaza deck. Its close to the restaurants, the piazza, is much lower down and is in the same price category. The only drawback is having to go up to the promenade deck to the smoking area but I would rather deal with that than get seasick if necessary.

Just looking for opinions on the pros and cons for each location so that I can give Princess a call and make the switch if need be.

Thanks! :)

Hi Folks,

I chose this cabin because of its proximity to the Horizon Court and outside areas, and also (and please don't flame me!) because of its proximity to the outside smoking area on the port side of the Lido deck forward.

I don't have any specific advice but as an avid anti/non-smoker, I want to go on record as saying flaming would be totally inappropriate. There are rules about smoking, you are following them, and making your decisions based on what's right for you.

The 2 areas you are referring to are both great areas. I like the Lido cabins due to being close the pools and Horizon Court. If I am near the pool and forget something, I can easily go back.

There are pros to Plaza deck also.

I don't think you can go wrong with either locations.

Hi Folks,

I am booked on the Caribbean Princess on Aug 16 and am currently booked into cabin L257. I chose this cabin because of its proximity to the Horizon Court and outside areas, and also (and please don't flame me!) because of its proximity to the outside smoking area on the port side of the Lido deck forward. I've never stayed on a deck this high, and I am concerned about increased motion if things get rough. I've only gotten motion sickness once in 9 cruises, but when I did I was in an aft balcony cabin, not midship which is my usual choice.

My other thought, and there are cabins available, is one of the insides by the art gallery on the Plaza deck. Its close to the restaurants, the piazza, is much lower down and is in the same price category. The only drawback is having to go up to the promenade deck to the smoking area but I would rather deal with that than get seasick if necessary.

Just looking for opinions on the pros and cons for each location so that I can give Princess a call and make the switch if need be.

Thanks! :)

Either location would be good.

The 2 areas you are referring to are both great areas. I like the Lido cabins due to being close the pools and Horizon Court. If I am near the pool and forget something, I can easily go back.

There are pros to Plaza deck also.

I don't think you can go wrong with either locations.

Thanks :) Is there much more motion on the Lido deck than the Plaza deck in rough seas?

Thanks :) Is there much more motion on the Lido deck than the Plaza deck in rough seas?

How ships are designed, there is supposed to be. I have been in L252 on Grand and Golden and I didn't experience any additional movement. I am not prone to motion sickness. I loved the location.

Yes.

We booked a L forward cabin on our recent Emerald Princess cruise. The convenience of the proximity to the pools/outside areas/smoking area/HC were a big plus for us.

Additionally, having had cabins near the Terrace Pool (Aft on the Aloha Deck on certain ships/Aft on Riviera Deck on others like the CB) also have provided for similar conveniences as above.

We did experience some slightly rough seas on the first couple days of our cruise, and the ship's motion was definitely noticeable in our forward cabin when laying down for the night. Fortunately neither the DW and I get seasick, and the rest of the cruise sailed pretty calm waters (wavelets as the bridge refers to them).

It is always a gamble on what the weather may provide. If potential sea-sickness is a major concern for you, I imagine the inconvenience of having to hop onto the elevator every time you want to grab a smoke might be worth the trade off of not having one's cruise experience be dampened by motion sickness.

If it was me, though? I would stick to the L cabin.

Like others have stated ITT, the proximity from the pools, outside areas, HC etc. to one's cabin is very convenient for those that may find themselves using those areas of the ship more.

Furthermore, these ships do seem smaller and smaller every time we sail them. As we've gotten more familiar with their layout, getting to the restaurants, Piazza, IC, lounges etc. never feels like that much of a trek for us.

Keep in mind though, if you do choose to switch to a cabin mid-ship and on a lower deck, there is also an outside smoking area on the Promenade deck.

Edited by Skai

On Plaza deck you would be able to check the IC frequently, just to make sure they are keeping it well stocked.

Now here is a compelling argument! If the Caribbean Princess is similar to the Crown Princess there is a deck six smoking area so the plaza maybe a good deck to be on if you get sea sick easily.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

So far it almost seems like distance from midship (forward or aft) makes more of a difference than deck height. If that's the case then the Plaza deck cabins are slightly aft of the forward elevators, while the Lido deck cabin I have is slightly forward. Doesn't seem like there is that much distance between the two to make a huge difference.

The Caribbean Princess has Churchill Lounge on Deck 6. It is one (forward) staircase up from the Plaza Deck. I do not know the hours they are open. My interior cabin preference is always on the Plaza Deck.

We just did a 10 day on the Emerald Princess in an interior cabin on Plaza deck, cabin P326. We loved the location. It was quiet. We felt almost no motion at all and we loved being so close to the IC, the Piazza, the dining room etc. Also, all the ports we were in, the ship used one deck down for the gangway. So instead of waiting for elevators with lots of other people we would walk up a flight of stairs and we were near our cabin. Loved this location and would do it again.

So far it almost seems like distance from midship (forward or aft) makes more of a difference than deck height. If that's the case then the Plaza deck cabins are slightly aft of the forward elevators, while the Lido deck cabin I have is slightly forward. Doesn't seem like there is that much distance between the two to make a huge difference.

It has to do with the direction the wind/waves are moving and the heading of the ship.

If a ship's heading is more towards a windward/leeward direction (into/away from the wind/waves), then the boat's motion will have more of a pitching/surging (bow to stern) motion -- This type of motion would be felt more in cabins further forward/aft from mid-ship.

In a beam sea where the wind/waves are travelling more perpendicular to the ship's heading, then the boat's motion will have more of a swaying/rolling (port to starboard/left to right) motion -- This type of motion would be felt more in cabins located on a higher deck versus a deck closer to the water line.

As was explained above, regardless of sea action, being low, and midship, gives the least motion in any of the three axises....that is why ship's medical centers are usually located near that location...

I had a great midship inside on the Caribbean Princess, on the Plaza deck, just steps away from the International Cafe. I'd book it again in a minute....:)

Edited by bob brown

Thanks to everyone for the info and advice. In the end I thought it was better to be safe than sorry, so I called and they switched me into P330. Lower deck, closer to midship, and mere steps from the IC...guess I will be getting a coffee card :) Will have to go up a couple of decks to indulge my bad habit, but so be it. This will be my first Plaza deck cabin. I'm very curious to see what it will be like.

Thanks to everyone for the info and advice. In the end I thought it was better to be safe than sorry, so I called and they switched me into P330. Lower deck, closer to midship, and mere steps from the IC...guess I will be getting a coffee card :) Will have to go up a couple of decks to indulge my bad habit, but so be it. This will be my first Plaza deck cabin. I'm very curious to see what it will be like.

I was going to suggest getting one in the 300's, good choice.

Recently, there has not been smoking allowed on the port side of Neptune's Pool on Lido deck and you had to go up one deck to the Sun deck on the port side of the Tradewinds Bar to smoke. Booking on Plaza deck, Churchill's Lounge is one deck up and smoking should be allowed just outside the doors on the Promenade deck one more deck up. This question probably should have been asked on the dedicated smoking thread.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Here's my take on cabin selection:

I generally don't get seasick on cruise ships, so I haven't noticed much difference in movement by cabin location...BUT, based strictly on laws of physics and geometry, location fore or aft (vs. midship) has a much more of an effect than does height of deck. The assumption is that the fore to aft rocking motion of a cruise ship rotates on a pivot approximately at midship. Say a ship is 1,000 feet long, the extreme aft and extreme fore are each 500 feet from the pivot, so a "rock" of 5 degrees will move a cabin 500 feet off the pivot by several feet while it will not move a cabin at the pivot at all...But, the difference in distance going up, say, 4 decks, is only around 40 feet, so that same triangle is much smaller and the movement is more side to side than up and down...and a much smaller distance...AND, with modern ships with stabilizer systems, even a 5 degree rock would be drastic...The movement is extremely slight.

And, since with inside cabins, the view is identical, no matter where on the ship you are, the view is not a factor. In fact, being in an inside might be of help since you have no reference point to view any movement, so, psychologically, the movement may be less apparent to you as well.

I always choose my cabins by LOCATION. On most ships, I've always thought the best location to be near the AFT ELEVATORS--since this puts you at closest proximity to the buffet and dining rooms--where we tend to go several times a day and makes getting a snack convenient. On Princess ships, it's a little less important to be at the aft if one has "anytime" dining as those rooms tend to be off the midshiop elevators instead. But, for convenience sakle, always best to be close to an elevator...and midship means you will have no particularly long walks... As to which deck, it may be just as simple as riding fewer elevators.

The other factor I use in choosing a deck is to look what is above or below it...Best not to get a cabin immediately below the pool area or a disco dance floor! Always best to have other cabins above and below...

Good choice. I think you will be very happy with it. If you are coffee drinker do get a coffee card. Your cabin location will make it so easy to grab a cup. Also, you must try the donut/croisant they have in the mornings at the IC- heavenly! And if you like "egg Mcmuffins" they have them at the IC in the a.m. as well. On mornings when we had early excursions booked we would grab a couple of them and a coffeee and eat breakfast in our cabin.

I have an upcoming cruise on the Golden. I have an inside cabin on the Emerald Deck, right behind the aft elevators. I see on Princess' deck plans the aft elevators are in the Horizon Court area, on the Lido. I think I'll be satisfied with my cabin choice, but of course I won't know for sure until I'm on the cruise.

Edited by Treven

Good choice. I think you will be very happy with it. If you are coffee drinker do get a coffee card. Your cabin location will make it so easy to grab a cup. Also, you must try the donut/croisant they have in the mornings at the IC- heavenly! And if you like "egg Mcmuffins" they have them at the IC in the a.m. as well. On mornings when we had early excursions booked we would grab a couple of them and a coffeee and eat breakfast in our cabin.

OK, this cabin could be big trouble. :) I better bring loose fitting clothes! My last time out, which was admittedly too long ago, I got a coffee card mainly so I wouldn't have to deal with the vile concoction they pass off as coffee in the dining room and buffet, but I quickly got hooked on the specialty coffees as well. Not a punch was left on the card by the last night of the cruise.

Guess I will just have to sacrifice and try those croissants and egg mcmuffins :)

OK, this cabin could be big trouble. :) I better bring loose fitting clothes! My last time out, which was admittedly too long ago, I got a coffee card mainly so I wouldn't have to deal with the vile concoction they pass off as coffee in the dining room and buffet, but I quickly got hooked on the specialty coffees as well. Not a punch was left on the card by the last night of the cruise.

Guess I will just have to sacrifice and try those croissants and egg mcmuffins :)

Don't forget to try the cronuts, sort of a cross between a croissant and a sugar donut :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app