Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

royalcruz is absolutely awesome with her advice. And quick!

We will be back in FLL in Oct., and she has helped us so much!

Thank you! I'll be in Maryland next week visiting my teacher friends in Howard and Montgomery counties. My friend's son just became a teacher too!

Thank you! I'll be in Maryland next week visiting my teacher friends in Howard and Montgomery counties. My friend's son just became a teacher too!

I did my student teaching in Howard County and now work for the Howard County Library System as a liaison between the school system and the library. Small world!!

My daughter just decided (after one year of college in pre-nursing) that she wants to be an educator, too.

Safe travels and enjoy Maryland. I hope you have a wonderful time!

I did my student teaching in Howard County and now work for the Howard County Library System as a liaison between the school system and the library. Small world!!

My daughter just decided (after one year of college in pre-nursing) that she wants to be an educator, too.

Safe travels and enjoy Maryland. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Thanks. I did my student teaching in Howard too, at Steven's Forest Elementary in Columbia. It sounds like you found a really nice job.

Do you recall how much a cab is from airport to Embassy? and cab to port please?

Thanks!

Instead of using a cab, you could Uber or Lyft there, and you could get estimates on how much it would cost beforehand. Guarantee Uber and Lyft are going to be cheaper than a cab, and they are pretty quick too!

Thanks. I did my student teaching in Howard too, at Steven's Forest Elementary in Columbia. It sounds like you found a really nice job.

Are you still teaching ?

I student taught at Phelps Luck Elementary in Columbia.

This summer will be four years since I stepped out of the classroom. There are things I miss - the relationships with the kids. But also things I do not miss, like the politics. This job is a nice blend of both - and I get to recommend a lot of books and authors.

I'd really like to just be able to cruise all the time, but since that doesn't work out, this job will have to suffice. ;)

Weare trying to find a reasonably pricedhotel for2 nights in August preferablynearabeach ...in Fort Laudedale ...breakfast wouldbe a plus aswould airport free transfer

Any suggestions

Hotels I like arenow very expensive ..ie Hyatt Place and Embassy suites

I did find Pier 66 at a reasonable price butno transfer ..no breakfast ...andmotso good reviews

Help

Are you still teaching ?

I student taught at Phelps Luck Elementary in Columbia.

This summer will be four years since I stepped out of the classroom. There are things I miss - the relationships with the kids. But also things I do not miss, like the politics. This job is a nice blend of both - and I get to recommend a lot of books and authors.

I'd really like to just be able to cruise all the time, but since that doesn't work out, this job will have to suffice. ;)

I quit teaching during my first year. After doing student teaching in Howard and Montgomery counties I expected to have a really nice career. I moved to Ft Lauderdale after graduating and couldn't even get an interview until October. Finally I was given a portable classroom (like a trailer) in an inner city neighborhood with both 3rd and 4th graders (all the kids the other teachers didn't want) who could barely read or do basic math. I didn't have access to a photocopier or to supplies and I was supposed to teach 7 subjects to 2 grades at the same time. The school was so messed up that they put a 6 yr old into my 3rd grade! It was impossible and I was miserable. I went back to school and became a psychotherapist/social worker with adult clients and I love it.

Weare trying to find a reasonably pricedhotel for2 nights in August preferablynearabeach ...in Fort Laudedale ...breakfast wouldbe a plus aswould airport free transfer

Any suggestions

Hotels I like arenow very expensive ..ie Hyatt Place and Embassy suites

I did find Pier 66 at a reasonable price butno transfer ..no breakfast ...andmotso good reviews

Help

Hotels near the beach don't have free transfers. The only one I can think of with free breakfast is Best Western Oceanside. Bahia Mar is inexpensive but won't have free breakfast. It will only cost you about $20 to get to these by taxi from the airport. Hotels in August are not expensive compared to the rest of the year. I'm sure you'll find something. Pier 66 isn't really walking distance to the public beach.

Edited by royalcruz

I quit teaching during my first year. After doing student teaching in Howard and Montgomery counties I expected to have a really nice career. I moved to Ft Lauderdale after graduating and couldn't even get an interview until October. Finally I was given a portable classroom (like a trailer) in an inner city neighborhood with both 3rd and 4th graders (all the kids the other teachers didn't want) who could barely read or do basic math. I didn't have access to a photocopier or to supplies and I was supposed to teach 7 subjects to 2 grades at the same time. The school was so messed up that they put a 6 yr old into my 3rd grade! It was impossible and I was miserable. I went back to school and became a psychotherapist/social worker with adult clients and I love it.

And there is the prefect example of why so many great teachers leave the profession - not because of the kids, but the mess and lack of any district organization. So sorry that happened, but congratulations on finding something you love!

And to keep more on topic, we booked Hilton Marina for October. :) Now I have to decide between Coconuts and Nanking. Different cuisines, I know. But we will only have time for one...

Edited by Marylandteachergirl

And there is the prefect example of why so many great teachers leave the profession - not because of the kids, but the mess and lack of any district organization. So sorry that happened, but congratulations on finding something you love!

And to keep more on topic, we booked Hilton Marina for October. :) Now I have to decide between Coconuts and Nanking. Different cuisines, I know. But we will only have time for one...

I like Hilton Marina. Both restaurants have really good food. Coconuts has a great casual resort ambiance. Nanking is beautiful but has issues...they just can't seem to organize themselves, so unless you are very patient and not particular about service you might not like it. Nanking often has deals on Groupon, Living Social, etc. and they have good drink specials at happy hour.

We recently cruised out of Miami but flew into FLL. We took the hotel shuttle to the Courtyard Inn in Dania Beach (not near a beach, but we knew that) and it was a very nice overnight stay. MJS Transportation was inexpensive and took good care of us getting to and from POM. $15 pp plus gratuity each way. We will use them again!

I like Hilton Marina. Both restaurants have really good food. Coconuts has a great casual resort ambiance. Nanking is beautiful but has issues...they just can't seem to organize themselves, so unless you are very patient and not particular about service you might not like it. Nanking often has deals on Groupon, Living Social, etc. and they have good drink specials at happy hour.

I saw Nanking when we were there in May - great on the water location. But, I am pretty picky about Chinese food, so I think we will head over to Coconuts in October. It's better to stay with the beauty theme anyway - it's vacation! We will be staying at Hilton Marina, but will just water taxi over to Coconuts.

• 3 weeks later...
Booked into Comfort Suites Airport South & Cruise Port in Feb. could anyone tell me if there was any stores nearby were you could pick up your wine to take on the cruise..Thanks..:D:D

If this is the one on South Federal, we stayed there in April. It's just a short walk to the Harbor shops, which has the full wine store...amazing selection. Also, CVS is next door which also sells some wine. We were happy with the hotel and it was quite reasonable.

I saw Nanking when we were there in May - great on the water location. But, I am pretty picky about Chinese food, so I think we will head over to Coconuts in October. It's better to stay with the beauty theme anyway - it's vacation! We will be staying at Hilton Marina, but will just water taxi over to Coconuts.

Nanking is Pan-Asian, so they only have a few Chinese entrees. It's mostly Thai and Japanese, and a few other countries. So if the weather isn't nice, maybe you can stay at the hotel and find something there.

We are driving to Ft Lauderdale on 9/10 to board the Allure of the Seas on 9/11 for a one week cruise. What hotels offer free parking that you would recommend ?

Thanks!

See if these are still offering free cruise parking:

Homewood Dania w/free port shuttle

LaQuinta Hollywood

Springhill Dania w/free port shuttle

Booked into Comfort Suites Airport South & Cruise Port in Feb. could anyone tell me if there was any stores nearby were you could pick up your wine to take on the cruise..Thanks..:D:D

On the east side of I-95 is Oakwood Plaza Mall where you will find a K-Mart with a decent wine section.

There's also a BJ's Wholesale Club there and I don't think you need a membership to buy liquor.